The Darlings Do Disney (TR is started!)

One crisis averted, another one popped up and averted. It's been a long night!

Reading the Air Canada press release they're saying that the stewerdesses are the ones striking and despite the strike it will be business as usual. Perfect. I don't care if my 1/4 cup of water and bag of nasty crackers never gets to me, just get me to Disney.

While searching for information, we discover that the seats we had chosen through Air Miles to fly Air Canada were gone. With Air Miles customer service closed, my MIL called Air Canada. They said that we did not have seats from Toronto to Orlando, meaning we would be flying stand by, unless we were able to get seats when we checked in at Sydney airport.

PANIC!

We chose our seats months ago and for the purpose of getting 4 together! So with my MIL on her landline with Air Canada and on her cell phone with us, we finally got to the story -- Air Miles, it seems, kicked us out of our seats. Air Canada fixed us up with 4 seats together though, so the second crisis of the night has also been averted.

It's too close to be having these issues! I'm going to bed before anything else can go wrong today.

One crisis averted, another one popped up and averted. It's been a long night!

Reading the Air Canada press release they're saying that the stewerdesses are the ones striking and despite the strike it will be business as usual. Perfect. I don't care if my 1/4 cup of water and bag of nasty crackers never gets to me, just get me to Disney.

While searching for information, we discover that the seats we had chosen through Air Miles to fly Air Canada were gone. With Air Miles customer service closed, my MIL called Air Canada. They said that we did not have seats from Toronto to Orlando, meaning we would be flying stand by, unless we were able to get seats when we checked in at Sydney airport.

PANIC!

We chose our seats months ago and for the purpose of getting 4 together! So with my MIL on her landline with Air Canada and on her cell phone with us, we finally got to the story -- Air Miles, it seems, kicked us out of our seats. Air Canada fixed us up with 4 seats together though, so the second crisis of the night has also been averted.

It's too close to be having these issues! I'm going to bed before anything else can go wrong today.

OMG! I would have totally been panicking too. I'm so happy that your crises (I think that's plural for crisis :lmao:) were averted.

It wasn't of the same caliber, but I had something similar on the Thanksgiving trip that I took last year. They were implementing the whole scanner thing, and there was a rumor that there was going to be a huge strike at the airport to PREVENT people from getting through security in a timely manner. I was like "oh no you didn't"!!! You are not preventing me from getting to Disney World.

Just WOO SAH girl! It will all be over soon. :hug:

OMG! I would have totally been panicking too. I'm so happy that your crises (I think that's plural for crisis :lmao:) were averted.

It wasn't of the same caliber, but I had something similar on the Thanksgiving trip that I took last year. They were implementing the whole scanner thing, and there was a rumor that there was going to be a huge strike at the airport to PREVENT people from getting through security in a timely manner. I was like "oh no you didn't"!!! You are not preventing me from getting to Disney World.

Just WOO SAH girl! It will all be over soon. :hug:

Thanks, I'm ok now! :hug: My reservation on Air Canada still says no seats so I'm still a little on edge, but they assured us that we will get there and that's all I really care about. Something like this always happens to me right before I travel! Last year the airport support staff went on strike during our trip! :confused3

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

9 more sleeps!!

So my MIL spoke to Air Miles today. They blame Air Canada for un-reserving our seats. Air Canada blames Air Miles. :confused3 Whatever. Our seats are reserved again.

MIL also found out that because of the pending strike, we may have to leave on a different day. REALLY people!? I am 9 frickin days away from my vacation and you tell me that we're changing flights!? They tried to tell my MIL that we might have to leave a day late, but she stood her ground and argued that we only have so much vacation time from work that's already booked and we do not want to lose our ADRs and such, so they said that we may have to leave two days early, but we won't know until next week. :scared1:

Confession time: I'm a control freak. I like knowing everything and planning ahead of time. This is freaking me out entirely. The non-control freak part of my brain is trying to calm me down by telling me that I might get extra days in Florida and everything will work itself out. I guess I'll update as I find out what's going on.

In other news... SO much of my to-do list is done! Besides the last minute stuff (locking doors and windows and teaching my mother how to feed my fish!) this is my list:
o empty camera memory card
o double-check park hours
o haircuts for all
o Roll change/deposit
o Make alien green mickey heads
o set up PVR to tape favorite show(s)
o Bath dogs

And that's it! We're both all packed, (although I'm second-guessing my carry on). I'm going to my mother's today and she's going to put some streaks in my hair and cut it (she's a former hairdresser). Saturday my crafty cousin is coming over to help with a window sign and the LGMHs... things are coming together!

Now if only the flights would too. :rolleyes:

travel woes right before you are leaving is never...EVER good...I truly hope nothing else pops up...here's some extra pixiedust for good faith (and magic too) pixiedust:

as far as the TA issues that's lousy...personally unless it's more of a challange w/ flying from Canada...but you can totally book DISNEY all by yourself :thumbsup2

re the online check-in...yes do it yourself you just need your ressie number and go online and take care of it...in therory you have a shorter line to deal w/ when you arrive at your resort and everything should be pretty much ready for you :goodvibes...the room request stuff I believe comes up online and then double ask when you check-in to see if you can get them

your movie list is pretty long for only 9 days ;) off that list I'd watch:

Your Pixar choices:
Toy Story 3
Ratatouille
Your princess choice:
Beauty & the Beast
Your classics:
Robin Hood
Sword in the Stone
Your Live action:
Chronicles 1
Pirates 1

Yikes, I do hope everything works out for you flight wise. 2 days extra here wouldn't be the end of the world!! LOL Glad you're packed, and your list sounds like mine, clean the camera, charge the batteries LOL

travel woes right before you are leaving is never...EVER good...I truly hope nothing else pops up...here's some extra pixiedust for good faith (and magic too) pixiedust:

as far as the TA issues that's lousy...personally unless it's more of a challange w/ flying from Canada...but you can totally book DISNEY all by yourself :thumbsup2

re the online check-in...yes do it yourself you just need your ressie number and go online and take care of it...in therory you have a shorter line to deal w/ when you arrive at your resort and everything should be pretty much ready for you :goodvibes...the room request stuff I believe comes up online and then double ask when you check-in to see if you can get them

your movie list is pretty long for only 9 days ;) off that list I'd watch:

Your Pixar choices:
Toy Story 3
Ratatouille
Your princess choice:
Beauty & the Beast
Your classics:
Robin Hood
Sword in the Stone
Your Live action:
Chronicles 1
Pirates 1

Thanks for the Pixie dust :goodvibes I hope nothing else happens! lol.
Next time I will definitely book myself through Disney. We did the flights ourselves anyway, so it would be quite easy.
I've watched Beauty and the Beast! I'm home alone this evening so I think I'm going to knock off Toy Story III at least, and maybe Robin Hood if I get time. :goodvibes

Yikes, I do hope everything works out for you flight wise. 2 days extra here wouldn't be the end of the world!! LOL Glad you're packed, and your list sounds like mine, clean the camera, charge the batteries LOL
Thanks! Yeah I wouldn't complain about extra time in Orlando!!

I'm up, Mr. D and the girls (dogs, that is) are still asleep. My house is quiet and I'm listening to the rain and the frogs. What a peaceful morning. Just the thing I needed to calm me down after the flight panic of the last few days. Not that anything has resolved itself, I guess I've just come to peace with it.

So on to the itinerary!

Day 4

September 27

We will bounce out of bed and get to AK for rope drop! (You know, if we're lucky. It might just me my MIL and I -- we're the only two early starters in the group!)

We will run for the Safari first, I want to try to catch the animals while they're active.
5731676688_2f62dfbe70.jpg

Then we'll take it slow. Hope to do the two walking trails, Pangani and Maharajah and take our time and lots of pictures!
1477626570_0ec0ce7d35.jpg

1477624314_6a3cdaa7af.jpg

If all works out right, I hope to come out of the Maharajah and get on Expedition Everest! (before we eat, you know!)
5731135115_12e196b965.jpg

After that we may need some lunch. Depending on where we are and what we're in the mood for, we're just grabbing some counter service lunch. We will take our time over lunch. I want AK to be a relaxing day for us.

After lunch I hope to do the rest of the rides. I'm lumping them together since I don't know what order we'll do them in! We'll just go with the flow. As long as we do Kali River Rapids nice and early so we have time to dry!

We will (well, DH and I will, I don't know about everyone else!) skip Rafiki's Planet watch.

at 5:00pm the park closes and we have an ADR at Tusker House! Mmmmm! I love TH so much, it's one of my favourite restaurants. Again, we will take our time and relax over dinner. On our way out we'll take lots of pictures of the now-nearly-empty AK.

MIL, S-FIL, DH and I might head to Epcot for the evening, depending on how we feel. Melissa and Ron do not have park hoppers so they won't be joining us. I'd like to get to Epcot and ride a few of the big rides while everyone else is watching Illuminations! (we get to see it later in the week). If we're lucky, I'd like to get to Soarin, Test Track, and Mission Space at least. That way the big ones are covered! We're a little short on Epcot time, considering it's my favourite park with arguably the most to see.
2175044557_438bc223e1.jpg

2175836662_741503a246.jpg

225178_10150166460832989_508602988_6870233_4680824_n.jpg

Epcot closes at 9 so it's back to Pop Century (actually, we'll probably get to sneak out before the Illuminations crowd!) and maybe relax around the pool or in the rooms. Early to bed, we're up early the next morning for breakfast in the Magic Kingdom! Stay tuned!

I really hope you get your airline issues worked out soon. I can't imagine how stressed out I'd be. Ugh :mad:

AK day sounds awesome girl. I love that park, and I know many who don't like it. Most of them are in my family, go figure!! When we were there last weekend, the flippin Gorilla ATE his own POOP!!! It was nasty, we still talk about that one!! GROSS!! So, be careful what you ask for LOL you just might see it!!

I'm working on when I can see ya, maybe Wednesday, if that works for me, I'll pick a place and a time, so we can hook up. I LOVE Mk, it's my favorite park, AK is a close second! If you haven't seen it before, the Festival of the Lion King show is amazing!! Must see it!!

Hi Wendy! I just caught up on your PTR. I can't believe the flight stress! Oh my, that would have sent me through the roof. You seem to be handling everything well!

I agree with bouncycat about FOTLK! It was my absolute favourite thing we did/saw the entire trip! If I could, I would go back to AK everyday just to watch it.

It's so close now! I hope you have the most amazing time!!!

I really hope you get your airline issues worked out soon. I can't imagine how stressed out I'd be. Ugh :mad:
Thanks Kari, it's only getting worse so I'm pretty stressed again today! Ahhhh it's madness hahaha.

AK day sounds awesome girl. I love that park, and I know many who don't like it. Most of them are in my family, go figure!! When we were there last weekend, the flippin Gorilla ATE his own POOP!!! It was nasty, we still talk about that one!! GROSS!! So, be careful what you ask for LOL you just might see it!!

I'm working on when I can see ya, maybe Wednesday, if that works for me, I'll pick a place and a time, so we can hook up. I LOVE Mk, it's my favorite park, AK is a close second! If you haven't seen it before, the Festival of the Lion King show is amazing!! Must see it!!
I adore AK! I read about your gorilla experience!! LMAO! I sure hope I don't see that!
I forgot to put FOTLK in my day itinerary, but it's definitely a must-do. I love that show! I get right into it, singing and dancing along, hahaha.

Hi Wendy! I just caught up on your PTR. I can't believe the flight stress! Oh my, that would have sent me through the roof. You seem to be handling everything well!

I agree with bouncycat about FOTLK! It was my absolute favourite thing we did/saw the entire trip! If I could, I would go back to AK everyday just to watch it.

It's so close now! I hope you have the most amazing time!!!
Hahahaha I'm not handling anything very well today! (See post to follow! lmao)
Yes I totally forgot to include FOTLK but it's one of my favourite things to do at AK!

Well it's panic time!

Air Canada's flight attendants have officially given strike notice. They will go on strike Wednesday, September 21 -- just three days before our flight.

We called Air Canada first thing this morning and we were told that basically, they know nothing yet. Some flights will be canceled and we won't know which until at least Wednesday.

Due to the uncertainty, AC is allowing anyone flying within the next week to reschedule their flights for any time before Dec. 9 at no extra charge. They are also allowing us to cancel with no charge. Neither is an option for us.

We are waiting for 10:00am to call Air Miles. [Recap: Air Miles is the points company through which we booked our flights.] They open at 10 so we're calling them asap. Last week when we spoke to them they told us to call them back as soon as we heard if the strike was a go. They may alter our flights and we may be going a day or two early.

Then we have to call our travel insurance. I am 90% sure they won't cover us for any extras or recover any losses due to cancellations because of a strike. That means that if we have to fly in a day early, the extra meals, hotels, rental cars, taxis, or whatever else we may need, has to come out of our pockets. Worst case scenario -- if the flights are so screwed up that we have to cancel -- we get absolutely nothing back. No money for flights (we used points, and we don't get them back either) no money for our hotels, no money for absolutely anything we've booked or purchased. Cue the tears. :sad1:

So in the event of rescheduling I can be sure I won't get the ADRs I wanted. I won't be able to go with my cousin Melissa and her bf Ron (they aren't flying with Air Canada so they're entirely unaffected). We are too late to change our Pop Century reservation, we'll lose our Discovery Cove and Richard Petty and Medieval Times. Other things that will be messed up include DisMeets, garden grocer order, and mostly getting to go with my cousin.

Wish me luck guys, we're on hold with Air Miles now.

... 2 phone calls later:

Air Miles: the points program through which we booked our flight. They told us that they can't do anything at all for us yet. They contacted Air Canada, our carrier, and were told that flights from now through the 21st are able to re-book, but later flights (like us on the 24th) just have to wait. We can't even look at other flights until the 22nd. That means that by that time, we will most likely be going later than expected rather than sooner, and that means that we're going to miss out on some things. On to the next call:

Travel Insurance: told us that they will not cover anything at all because of a strike. Not our hotel, not our park tickets, not our other excursions (Universal, Medieval Times, Discovery Cove, Richard Petty...) and that it would be up to the airline striking to reimburse those things.

I don't want to be reimbursed... I want my vacation as I planned it!

We called Air Miles wanting to change our flight to another carrier or an earlier day but we can't do anything until Thursday! That means that if we do have to change it, we'll be later. We wanted earlier (and were willing to pay oop for the extras). I'm panicking really bad now and can't do a bloody thing until at least Thursday. Please send me some good vibes and pixie dust that they resolve the strike and our flight goes ahead as planned!

Wendy, I am so sorry to hear all of this. :hug:

Okay, let me try to send lots of pixie dust your way.

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

I just found your PTR today, and I'm so sorry for the panic caused by this possible strike! Not to get your hopes up, but I just did some reading about it, and it looks like there's a very strong possibility that the govt. will step in and end the strike *very* quickly. With the economy struggling to recover, Canada cannot afford a significant interruption in transportation services, and it looks like the govt. is preparing to step in swiftly.

For your sake, I hope they reach a settlement before the strike happens, but if they do, I hope they're ordered back to work ASAP!

I just have a strong gut feeling that you're going to be just fine.....:wizard:

Wendy, I am so sorry to hear all of this. :hug:

Okay, let me try to send lots of pixie dust your way.

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Thank you so much! I think your pixie dust worked ;) (See post below!)

I just found your PTR today, and I'm so sorry for the panic caused by this possible strike! Not to get your hopes up, but I just did some reading about it, and it looks like there's a very strong possibility that the govt. will step in and end the strike *very* quickly. With the economy struggling to recover, Canada cannot afford a significant interruption in transportation services, and it looks like the govt. is preparing to step in swiftly.

For your sake, I hope they reach a settlement before the strike happens, but if they do, I hope they're ordered back to work ASAP!

I just have a strong gut feeling that you're going to be just fine.....:wizard:
:welcome:

I am so sorry you had to come in at such a bad time! :rotfl: I promise I'm not usually this stressed! I appreciate your calming words, I'm feeling much better now!

Just a little update.

We are hearing now from various sources that there most likely will not be a strike. The government won't allow any disruption in service so we will probably be just fine. I feel a lot better! We can call AC again on Monday to find out if there is any more news.

In other, happier news, I made my window sign!

DSCF6090.jpg

See the little Mickey ears in the top left? I made them with Cape Breton tartan -- the official pattern of my island. Just a little slice of home while we're away from home.

I made a few LGMHs too. I'm in the process of sequin-ing one up!

I'm so glad to hear that! I'll keep sending the pixie dust your way.

I love the window sign! I have to admit that I've never made one myself. Bad DISer. :laughing:

I'm so glad to hear that! I'll keep sending the pixie dust your way.

I love the window sign! I have to admit that I've never made one myself. Bad DISer. :laughing:

Thanks! I wasn't really going to make the sign, but I love to scrapbook and craft so it just seemed like a fun project more than anything! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter