The Darling Family Takes on Marathon Weekend: Jan at the Boardwalk Villas

Great update.:thumbsup2 It is funny that your DH was sitting far away, was he in time out?:laughing: Good point about the running shoes too. I suppose if you're running a marathon, they might be kind of important to have.:laughing: I can understand your preoccupation with the marathon though, 26 miles is a lot!!:eek: I don't think I could run that far unless my life were dependant on it.:laughing:

The BW Villas are so beautiful! So much space too. I'm toying with the idea of DVC (although Kidani would probably be my 1st choice). How adorable is that tea cup lamp? Love it! I hope your luggage made an appearance too!:eek:

Looking forward to reading about the marathon trip! I have a dh who is also a marathon runner ... AND I've been trying to talk him into doing this one! We had good friends down there this year and they said it's a different kind of marathon... very relaxed, people even riding Everest.

LOVE the Neverland Dressed up photo! SO STINKIN CUTE!

Love the room(s)! I was surprised when you said the decorations were still up at the resort, but then went "ahhhh" when you said they were gone the next morning. ;)

Hope your bags arrived!

I thought I would jump over here from the Ducks and read your report for some inspiration! Can't wait to hear all about it. Oh and don't you just love DVC? :love: We recently joined as well and I think it's been a great decision so far. Hopefully I continue to feel that way about training for a Half! :yay:

Congrats to you on your first marathon! I've done the full twice and the half twice and next year I'll do them both. Nothing beats a Disney race!

I remember your TR from last year! I also went down for my firt full this year. And finished! Congrats on your finish and I can't wait to read more!

I am joining in to read your TR...I am interested on how you did on your 26 mile run!!

Great update.:thumbsup2 It is funny that your DH was sitting far away, was he in time out?:laughing: Good point about the running shoes too. I suppose if you're running a marathon, they might be kind of important to have.:laughing: I can understand your preoccupation with the marathon though, 26 miles is a lot!!:eek: I don't think I could run that far unless my life were dependant on it.:laughing:

The BW Villas are so beautiful! So much space too. I'm toying with the idea of DVC (although Kidani would probably be my 1st choice). How adorable is that tea cup lamp? Love it! I hope your luggage made an appearance too!:eek:
My DH read this update and told me he sat over there because there weren't any available seats close by. I guess we're going with that;) I didn't actually run the whole marathon. I always take walking breaks and by the end of the marathon I think it is fair to say I took running breaks:laughing: We've really enjoyed our DVC membership. We're new members too. We stayed in Kidani in October and absolutely loved it! It is my 6 year olds favorite resort by a longshot.

Looking forward to reading about the marathon trip! I have a dh who is also a marathon runner ... AND I've been trying to talk him into doing this one! We had good friends down there this year and they said it's a different kind of marathon... very relaxed, people even riding Everest.

LOVE the Neverland Dressed up photo! SO STINKIN CUTE!
Keep trying with your DH. This is a marathon unlike any other. It is about as relaxed as a marathon could ever be. Characters to take pictures with and lots of stuff to see. And yes people do ride Everest. They let you use the fastpass line. I would have loved to do it, but I was a bit worried about finishing in the allotted time. I think I'll do it if there is a next time.

Love the room(s)! I was surprised when you said the decorations were still up at the resort, but then went "ahhhh" when you said they were gone the next morning. ;)

Hope your bags arrived!
It was funny going back down to the lobby less than 12 hours later and all signs of Christmas were gone. They even had new sod down on the spot where the outdoor Christmas tree had been.

I thought I would jump over here from the Ducks and read your report for some inspiration! Can't wait to hear all about it. Oh and don't you just love DVC? :love: We recently joined as well and I think it's been a great decision so far. Hopefully I continue to feel that way about training for a Half! :yay:
:welcome: You should read my half marathon report from last year. (The link is in the 1st post or just click on the BLT in my siggie.) The race part will give you a great idea what the half is like (you have to just hope the weather is different.) Yes, I do love DVC. We have a very small contract right now (only 50 points; we transferred points in for this reservation), but I hope to add on more soon.

Joining in:goodvibes

The Boardwalk looks beautiful and I can't wait to hear more
Glad you made it! The Boardwalk is a great resort!

subbing. Can't wait to hear more.
Welcome! Can't wait to tell you more!

I can't wait to read more.. A marathon is on my bucket list too..
All I can say is go for it! If I can do it, you can!

Congrats to you on your first marathon! I've done the full twice and the half twice and next year I'll do them both. Nothing beats a Disney race!
You are going for the Goofy:worship: Maybe one of these days I'll try it, but not next year. You are right! There is nothing like a Disney race.

I remember your TR from last year! I also went down for my firt full this year. And finished! Congrats on your finish and I can't wait to read more!
I remember you from last year as well! Congrats on your first full! How did it go? As I'm sure I'll mention in my report I loved it. Training was absolutely brutal. I can't tell you how many time I questioned my sanity during training. During the race there wasn't one second that I didn't enjoy. Such a great day!

I am joining in to read your TR...I am interested on how you did on your 26 mile run!!
Run is a relative word:laughing: There was some running, but there was some walking too. Especially after I hit mile 20. Don't worry. You'll hear more than you probably wanted to know.

Hi! I just stumbled across your report. I'm about to run my first 1/2 next month (Disney Princess 1/2), so I have been very interested in all the trip reports that are about the recent marathon weekend. I followed the link to your 1/2 from last year and just read the whole thing! It was very motivating! I can honestly say that after reading your report from last year that I am even more excited to run the 1/2 next month!

I look forward to reading more!

OK so I did just go back and read your HM Trip Report from 2010... brrrr kinda reminds me of the weather here in NJ today! :lmao:

Keeping in mind that I am a novice and have never run a race, I am wondering why in lord's name do you have to get up at 3am to compete??! Then I realize it's to make sure the race is over before they open the gates to let the "regular crowd" in? So not only do I have to make sure I can hack 13.1 miles but I have to be able to do it at some crazy hour of the morning. Oh boy. Glad I am reading about all this now.

And another thing I am wondering from looking at your pictures - how do you actually "run" when there are so many people around you? Are there times when you really have to slow down? Do they group you by running ability in some way? Since I expect to be somewhat of a slow runner in a funny way it gave me some measure of comfort to see people walking. Now I know I won't get trampled!

OK I have more questions but maybe I should PM you before I interrupt this TR any longer. Final words: glad to see there is time to take pictures and go to the bathroom! :thumbsup2

It was funny going back down to the lobby less than 12 hours later and all signs of Christmas were gone. They even had new sod down on the spot where the outdoor Christmas tree had been.
I had the opposite experience a few years ago on a Nov trip with my DD, a friend and her DH. We had all gone to Epcot on arrival day and DD & I wanted to hop over to MK so we left my friend and her DH at Epcot. The next morning we had an 8am ADR at CP and the garland was all up across Main St. I was telling my friend and her DH that I was sure it wasn't there the night before. I just had to ask a CM and they did confirm that it wasn't there when I was in the park the night before.:laughing:

I can't tell you how many time I questioned my sanity during training.
My friend and I are thinking of getting the shirt "13.1...because I'm only half crazy". I saw a link to it in some TR....maybe yours.:rotfl:

Looks like a pretty hassle free arrival day. BWV look lovely and sound really spacious :)

We opted out of the luggage service with ME last year, as we didn't want to be waiting til 12-1am in the morning like we did the last two trips.

Am I right in assuming that DH is wearing a Gunners top in the airport lounge pic? :teeth:

Do you fly from BWI? We go through there a lot because my brother and his family live in Owings Mills. We love Southwest!
The Boarwalk Villas are beautiful! We're staying at the Inn side but I am so excited all the same!

Hi! I just stumbled across your report. I'm about to run my first 1/2 next month (Disney Princess 1/2), so I have been very interested in all the trip reports that are about the recent marathon weekend. I followed the link to your 1/2 from last year and just read the whole thing! It was very motivating! I can honestly say that after reading your report from last year that I am even more excited to run the 1/2 next month!

I look forward to reading more!
Congrats on your first 1/2! There is nothing like that first long distance race. It is so empowering! You will have a great time! Just try to enjoy every minute of it.

OK so I did just go back and read your HM Trip Report from 2010... brrrr kinda reminds me of the weather here in NJ today! :lmao:

Keeping in mind that I am a novice and have never run a race, I am wondering why in lord's name do you have to get up at 3am to compete??! Then I realize it's to make sure the race is over before they open the gates to let the "regular crowd" in? So not only do I have to make sure I can hack 13.1 miles but I have to be able to do it at some crazy hour of the morning. Oh boy. Glad I am reading about all this now.

And another thing I am wondering from looking at your pictures - how do you actually "run" when there are so many people around you? Are there times when you really have to slow down? Do they group you by running ability in some way? Since I expect to be somewhat of a slow runner in a funny way it gave me some measure of comfort to see people walking. Now I know I won't get trampled!

OK I have more questions but maybe I should PM you before I interrupt this TR any longer. Final words: glad to see there is time to take pictures and go to the bathroom! :thumbsup2
The weather in 2010 was crazy! Much better this year! The early wake up time for the Disney races are a little crazy. Once you're out of bed though it doesn't seem strange at all. There are thousands of people doing it with you. As far as crowding, the Jan. half is really crowded. In all honestly I think they have pushed this race far beyond its capacity. You do start based on projected finish time so the faster runners are up front. My DH just ran it and he said it was crowded up in the front corrals, but you could find your pace without too much difficultly. Back in those back corrals (which is where I hang out) it was tough to find room to run. I did a lot of dodging and passing people during that race. It is definitely a race that would be hard to go for a personal record (PR) because of all the people. In some ways that makes it more fun though. There is always someone around to talk to! Don't hesitate to ask any questions. We were all beginning runners sometime and we had questions too.

Joining in! I can't wait to hear how your first marathon went!
Welcome! You'll probably hear more than you ever wanted to about my first marathon:laughing:

I had the opposite experience a few years ago on a Nov trip with my DD, a friend and her DH. We had all gone to Epcot on arrival day and DD & I wanted to hop over to MK so we left my friend and her DH at Epcot. The next morning we had an 8am ADR at CP and the garland was all up across Main St. I was telling my friend and her DH that I was sure it wasn't there the night before. I just had to ask a CM and they did confirm that it wasn't there when I was in the park the night before.:laughing:
It is crazy how the decorations come up and down literally overnight. That must be a crazy night for the CMs! I love the shirt. And the sentiment is right on!

Looks like a pretty hassle free arrival day. BWV look lovely and sound really spacious :)

We opted out of the luggage service with ME last year, as we didn't want to be waiting til 12-1am in the morning like we did the last two trips.

Am I right in assuming that DH is wearing a Gunners top in the airport lounge pic? :teeth:
I suggested to DH that we pick up your own luggage, but he said no way. He loves that about ME. So we just packed our PJs in the carryon. You are right about the Gunners jacket. You'll see it again. Not too many people around our parts have a clue what that is. We were on the bus at one point and there was a man sitting by us with a Hotspurs hat. DH almost said something, but he's not as outspoken as me. I wonder what the Hotspurs fan thought of an American in a Gunner jacket.

Do you fly from BWI? We go through there a lot because my brother and his family live in Owings Mills. We love Southwest!
The Boarwalk Villas are beautiful! We're staying at the Inn side but I am so excited all the same!
We do fly out of BWI. We only live about 20 minutes away. (Even closer than Owings Mills.) I love how Southwest has so many direct flights to Orlando. You will love the Boardwalk. We didn't actually venture over to the Inn side, but I'm sure it's lovely. The location cannot be beat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter