• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Dark Side, DVC Stay, Hoop Dee Doo & More-APRIL 2015 Trip Report***Completed 8/23***

LOL That ride pic is just priceless! I haven't been on it and don't plan to, simply because it's a motion simulator, which I don't do well on. I plan to do the castle tour, though, as I really want to see it. Looking forward to part 2!

I didn't know what to expect with the motion simulator rides, but none of us had a problem with it. This one felt kind of like Soarin' to my mom and me, which is one of our favorite Disney rides.

Day 3-April 11, 2015
Part 2

Looking at the pictures again, I see that after we left Hogsmeade, we took the train back to Universal Studios…
IMG_9566.jpg

And had lunch at Krusty Burger.
IMG_9428.jpg

Check out this monster burger that DS ate!

IMG_9586.jpg

DD got pizzaIMG_9587.jpg

And Mom and I split a wrap that I didn't get a picture of, but it was pretty good.

We left the park around 1 and took the boat back to the hotel to swim and relax…IMG_9593.jpg

After making the walk back and forth a couple times, we realized that the boat was a way nicer way to travel. It was so relaxing.
IMG_9596.jpg

We stayed at the pool until 6 or so,
IMG_9604.jpg

and then headed back to City Walk for dinner. We couldn't decide where to eat at City Walk so we ended up going to Antojitos. It was okay, edible, but I've had way better Mexican food here at home. I didn't even take any pictures there. We were sitting outside on the second story and we could see the dark clouds rolling in and were afraid we would get caught in a thunderstorm, so we finished fairly quickly and walked back to the hotel. It started raining when we were walking so we were glad we didn't dawdle.

Up next, Day 3…Our last morning at Universal and heading to Bay Lake Tower!

Last edited:
Woohoo! I'm really interested to read about BLT, as we're staying there next month! :banana:

Day 4-April 12, 2015
Our last morning at Universal, finally going to BLT!
Part 1-

We didn't rush out to the park to early morning hours today. We took our time getting ready and taking some last pictures of Royal Pacific Resort, before we stored our luggage with bell services…
IMG_9608.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

and headed back to Universal.
IMG_9622.jpg
We stopped for a few pics on our way to Diagon Alley…mom wanted a picture with this car because she said it was the same kind of car she learned to drive on!

IMG_9624.jpg
I think we might be eating butter beer ice cream for breakfast…why not!? Anything goes on vacation!
IMG_9636.jpg

The kids wanted to go back on Gringott's again, but since it was really busy by now, we went on single rider. We had already seen the bank on the first day anyway so we didn't feel like we were missing anything. And oddly enough, we all got on the ride at the same time, but we were 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The only one I was really worried about was my mom because the whole getting on the ride thing kind of confuses her, I'm not sure why! The day before when she and I were getting on the single rider in Hogwart's castle, she totally messed up and ended up sitting in the second seat, making it so that another party would have had to split up. They ended up going on another vehicle, but everyone was confused for a few moments and I wanted to crawl under the mat! She didn't do it on purpose, she just didn't understand that she was supposed to follow the other people and take the last seat. Instead, she walked to the next vehicle and sat where she had sat the time before…
1405398_57204637.jpg
So instead of filling the hole as a single rider, she caused the vehicle to go off with an empty seat! i didn't even try to explain this to her after because she wouldn't have understood, and she didn't do it on purpose. But when we were getting on the ride in Gringott's, we all told her to go first and directed her where to go!

We stayed at the park until around 1, just going on rides, casting spells, etc…
IMG_9643.jpg

We had arranged for our driver to pick us up at 2. Here we are at around 1:30 back at the hotel for one last hotel pic…
IMG_9647.jpg
SUPER excited to be heading to WDW! It was really like having 2, back to back vacations! We were having such a great time at Universal, but when it was time to go, we weren't upset because we know we were heading HOME!

Before we head there, I just want to share some of our favorite pics from the Universal photo pass (I forget what it's called??). It was around $60 because we pre-purchased it, and I would definitely recommend it. We got some great pics…

To be continued..

Last edited:

Universal Photopass Pics…And they are not going to be in chronological order…sorry!

Men in Black…fun ride, but nobody was on it so we got to go a couple times in a row. We all look so serious! Don't mess with us!
1405398_57205388.jpg

Here we are on the second time but some guy got in with us. The photo pass girl tried covering him with a Jon Hamm look alike…haha! Don Draper, anyone?

1405398_57205663.jpg

Dudley Do-Right's Rip Saw Falls…I've never gotten so drenched on a ride in my life! Even with a poncho on, I was uncomfortably wet! Oh, AND I was wearing white shorts! Not my brightest idea! It was kind of a fun, Splash Mountainesque ride, though no where near as awesome as Splash! Looks like DS got a mouthful of DD's hair! haha!
1405398_57191948.jpg

Jurassic Park…I remember going on this ride in Universal, CA and loving it! I don't know if this one just wasn't as good, or if it's just "been there, done that," but this was just okay…not as awesome as I remembered. We are in the back…
1405398_57176936.jpg

Kids on The Hulk…I was REALLY nervous about them gong on this and then I thought they'd be back in about 20 minutes and it was at LEAST 45 minutes. I was starting to panic but they came off and they loved it…
1405398_57194072.jpg

Random scenic pictures…
1405398_57179667.jpg

1405398_57192466.jpg

And finally, some of my favorite Simpsons pics. By the way, we really liked this ride, especially DS who is a big fan of the show. Totally silly pics…
1405398_57174344.jpg

1405398_57174354.jpg

1405398_57174371.jpg

So like I said, I am so glad I paid for that photo pass. These pics are priceless and I'm cracking up again just looking at them now!

Up next, finally going HOME…to Bay Lake Tower, that is!

Last edited:
I love the Rip Saw & Jurassic pics - it looks like you were saying to yourself "WHY did I go on this ride?!?!" The Simpsons pics are too cute!

Woohoo! I'm really interested to read about BLT, as we're staying there next month! :banana:

As Tiana would say, we're ALMOST there! Woot!

I love the Rip Saw & Jurassic pics - it looks like you were saying to yourself "WHY did I go on this ride?!?!" The Simpsons pics are too cute!

You're right! I am such a ride chicken, but I've been trying to be braver! Both of those drops are bigger than I like!

Yay! Lovin this TR! Universal looked awesome! I am doing my second stay at BLT in. September can't wait to see your photos and reviews from there!

Following along! Can't wait to hear about your days at WDW.
Making a mental note to take my husband for a donut and to the Krusty Burger one day.

Yay! Lovin this TR! Universal looked awesome! I am doing my second stay at BLT in. September can't wait to see your photos and reviews from there!

I was a little skeptical before going to Universal, but we had so much fun! And it was so relaxing! We would definitely go back again, in fact, the kids are already asking to go back next year! If we weren't doing the cruise I might even consider it!

Following along! Can't wait to hear about your days at WDW.
Making a mental note to take my husband for a donut and to the Krusty Burger one day.

Two of the highlights of the trip, according to DS!

Day 4-April 12, 2015
Part 2
FINALLY,,,getting to BLT! But first, a minor glitch

I believe earlier in this TR I said Tony picked us up at MCO and he was going to bring us from Royal Pacific to Bay lake Tower, with a grocery stop on the way. I alluded to the fact that there was a minor glitch with this plan. You see, Tony sent another driver to pick us up instead, which I didn't realize was even a possibility. He texted me that afternoon to tell me that he was busy but his driver was on his way. I didn't really mind since I figured he worked for Tony. So when the driver got there, the first thing I noticed was that his vehicle was much smaller than Tony's, AND there was a car seat in the back, so we had to have the kids climb over the seat to the very back row, and it was pretty crammed. I had to sit up front with the driver and when I got in I reminded him that Tony said we could stop at Publix on the way to BLT. He assured me this was fine. So we were driving along, and he was talking, and talking, and talking…I learned EVERYTHING about him on that 20 minute ride! And then I saw this…

IMG_9650.jpg

Exciting, right!?? WRONG! As soon as I saw this, I said, "are we still stopping at Publix?!" Having never driven here, I didn't think this looked right, but what do I know, right? So this driver says, "OH NO! I'm sorry…I missed it" Ya! No duh! You were talking too much to be paying attention! I didn't say this but I wanted to! So he says, don't worry, we can still go to a store…and then he drove to Gooding's. UGH! I knew from reading these boards that we did NOT want to go to Gooding's! But honestly, I bit my tongue and shut up because I didn't want to start this part of the trip off on a bad foot. So into Gooding's we go, and the disboard posters who warned against going here were absolutely, 100% right. This store was CRAZY expensive! If I had known we were going to end up here and paying a million dollars for groceries, I would have just saved myself the aggravation and ordered from Garden Grocers. Lesson learned!

Anyway, $500 later (not really…but about $120 for not that much food), we were back in the cramped vehicle and on our way to BLT. Yay! Until…I got a text from BLT saying our room was ready and looked at the room number. I knew that just by the room number that our room request had not been met. We had reserved a Lake View, and I had called and asked for a high floor on the outside of the C, so an even numbered room. The room number they texted us was 7911. This coming right after the grocery store fiasco was really kind of a bummer, but I was still trying to be optimistic and not let it irritate me too much. When we got to BLT, I went to the desk just to see if there was any way to change our room. The lobby was kind of chaotic at this time and the guy said there might be another room available later in the evening. I asked DM and the kids what they wanted to do and everyone just wanted to go to this room and unload all of our bags and groceries, so we did.
IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg IMG_9658.jpg IMG_9659.jpg IMG_9655.jpg IMG_9654.jpg IMG_9653.jpg IMG_9660.jpg

I have to say, the room was awesome. We had a 1 bedroom and it felt HUGE! We loved having 2 bathrooms, although the first time DM took a shower in the the tub bathroom it filled up half way and wouldn't drain. Maintenance came up avery promptly and fixed it so it was never an issue after that first time. My very favorite part of that 1 bedroom, however, was the washer and dryer! How convenient! I literally went home and had one load of wash to do after 12 nights!

We didn't linger in the room long, we had Fast Pass reservations to get to, then dinner at The Plaza, and later The Tomorrowland Dessert Party…

To be continued...

Last edited:
Oooh the room looks awesome! Sorry the drive over stunk & uggh about the room request. What time did you get into your room BTW? I am doing a split stay so my only request is going to be " earliest available"

Oooh the room looks awesome! Sorry the drive over stunk & uggh about the room request. What time did you get into your room BTW? I am doing a split stay so my only request is going to be " earliest available"

It's okay…looking back those aren't really the memories that stick out. We had a great trip overall. It's taught me to not sweat the small stuff while we are there…not everything goes perfectly but it definitely didn't come close to ruining our trip! Of course, I've learned to just go ahead and book the view we really want so next year I have already booked a theme park view!:yay::yay::yay:

We got to our room just about 3. We had done on-line check in (thus the text with the room number). The text came at 2:46.

The room was really awesome! It felt so spacious, even after staying in the Tower rooms which are fairly spacious for regular hotel rooms. I'll post pics of the views later...

Day 4-April 12, 2015
Part 3
Cruisin' in the Jungle

Finally! We are heading to the Magic Kingdom, our favorite place on earth! Here is one of the BEST parts about staying at BLT…
IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9662.jpg

I LOVE this walk! It makes my heart happy! But we didn't really have much time to dilly dally…we had a FP to get to!

Getting into the parks with my mom was a bit of a challenge for most of the trip. For some reason, her band wouldn't scan at least 75-80% of the time. She would scan, put her finger down and get the blue light…almost every time. It was so aggravating. And the first time we went through, I made sure I helped her and told her which finger to use and this still happened. I was wondering if it was because she doesn't have much of a fingerprint anymore from years of washing dishes, cleaning, etc., but then once in a while it worked. Most of the time I would just tell them to get the iPad people right off the bat to try to get the process moving along. I don't think they appreciated me saying that though and would always make her try 3-4 times before raising their hand. Ugh. The same thing happened on our last trip too, and it only happened to her so that's why I was thinking it was because she's old…no offense! HaHa!

We still had time to stop for a couple of quick pics…

IMG_9664.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

before getting to our first FP of the day. Our favorite ride…
IMG_9668.jpg
We could go on this 10 times a day and never get tired of it. In fact, before FP+, we WOULD go on 10 times a day. Sigh…those days are long gone. Now we try to go twice, maybe three times if we're lucky.
MK_SPLASH_7270116283.jpg

We always try to get at least one pic without the ponchos and with our eyes open. This one was pretty good, though DS and DM didn't participate in our Peace sign.

Our next FP was of the Jungle Cruise. Normally we wouldn't waste a FP for this, but it was closing the next day and we wanted to be sure we got to go on at least once. On our way over, the Haunted Mansion line was only 15 minutes so we decided to wait and then continue onto the Jungle Cruise. Haunted Mansion is another one of our favorites…

IMG_9669.jpg

IMG_9670.jpg

We had a ADR for The Plaza at 6 so we headed there after The Jungle Cruise. We LOVE The Plaza. I know it's simple food, sandwiches and burgers, but we have always had good meals there and this time was no different. Unfortunately, I didn't take pics of our food, but I'm guessing y'all know what a turkey club and fries looks like :)

After dinner we had a FP for Space Mountain. DM went on with us one time a couple years ago but didn't enjoy it, so she waited for us while we went on. We never know which way to look for the camera…so goofy!
MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_7270216712.jpg

It started raining at some point, so we headed over to The Emporium and bought new ponchos (that nobody is wearing).
IMG_9674.jpg

Around 8:40 or so we headed over to Tomorrowland Terrace just to check and see where we were supposed to go for the dessert party. People were already lining up so we got in line too. They were going to start letting people in at 9 and we could see them already setting up. The desserts looked so yummy!

Up next…Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party!

How funny that you're not a ride chicken when it comes to Space Mountain and Splash Mountain! Or is it because you've been on them so many times you've built up a tolerance? :D

How funny that you're not a ride chicken when it comes to Space Mountain and Splash Mountain! Or is it because you've been on them so many times you've built up a tolerance? :D

Isn't that crazy? I always think of myself as a ride chicken, but you're right…maybe I have built up a tolerance.

The first time I rode Space Mountain was in 1989. I was much younger and much braver! Plus I was there in WDW for the first time ever and I was with friends who were all going so I went. I like the fact that it is dark and I can't really see what's coming. I think that's the scary part for some people, but for me I prefer it! I also like the fact that it doesn't go upside down because I HATE that!

I was afraid of Splash Mountain for many years. We went in 2006 and 2008 and I wouldn't go on. Then I started reading these boards more before our 2010 trip and everyone was saying how awesome the ride it, so I talked myself into going…and LOVED it! Going on that ride over and over and over was one of my favorite memories from that trip!

In 2012, I rode Rock N' Roller Coaster for the first time and I think I hated it, but then I went on a second time just to make sure! HAHA! I REALLY don't like going upside down, but the ride goes so fast that at least it was over quickly!

The only ride I had NOT done prior to this trip was Expedition Everest. My mom and I would stand and watch the kids ride over and over and that huge drop in the front freaked me out a little. And yet, I wanted to try riding it at least once. SO again, before this trip, I started reading these boards and watching youtube videos, and….wait…I'm getting ahead go myself! You'll just have to wait and see how that turned out! Stay tuned!

Great report so far. I have a question about the Universal picture thing. Is it like the Disney one where you download the pictures when you get home? Do you have to hand a card to the photographer? what about the ride ones, is there something to scan when you get on? I am taking my kids to Universal for the first time since 2006 and I am just trying to figure it all out. Your report is great. I was going to skip a wand but I know my youngest will love it and want to do the spells!!

Great report so far. I have a question about the Universal picture thing. Is it like the Disney one where you download the pictures when you get home? Do you have to hand a card to the photographer? what about the ride ones, is there something to scan when you get on? I am taking my kids to Universal for the first time since 2006 and I am just trying to figure it all out. Your report is great. I was going to skip a wand but I know my youngest will love it and want to do the spells!!

Thank you! Yes, you get a Photo Connect card and you add the pictures either with the photographer or at the kiosk at the end of the ride. You can also download an app called Amazing Pictures and you can see your Universal pictures right on there shortly after they are taken. When I got home, I downloaded the photos to my computer. Super easy!

The wands are definitely pretty expensive, but if you can splurge, they are definitely worth it! As you can see, my kids aren't even that young and they still loved it. The spells were their favorite part of the whole WWOHP area! I definitely recommend getting them!

Day 4-April 12, 2015
Part 4
Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party

Keeping with the theme of this TR, we did the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party for the first time this year. I wasn't sure if we should spend the money (and this is before the price hike!), but I am so glad we did. As I said earlier, the would start letting people in around 9pm, so we lined up about 20 minutes prior to that. The check-in was pretty efficient. They asked our names and gave us wrist bands, then led us to our table that was already pre-assigned. The hostess told us we can go up to the buffet right away so we didn't waste any time! I wish I had a pic of the whole buffet, but here are some of the desserts…
IMG_9681.jpg

IMG_9682.jpg

Can ya tell we all love Rice Krispy treats?!

The desserts were yummy and they also served coffee, tea, milk and juice. Once we were completely stuffed, we stood and watched the Magic, Memory and You show on the castle. I LOVE this show!

IMG_9688.jpg

We could have just stayed in our seats but wanted to get up and stand anyway.
IMG_9687.jpg

The view of the fireworks was amazing! it was so nice not having to be all crammed in with 10 million people to watch. Not to mention the fact that it was raining and we were totally covered. The only bad part about the rain is that Tinkerbell didn't fly that night and she normally would have gone right over us. Oh well. It was a great view anyway.
IMG_9698.jpg

IMG_9702.jpg

IMG_9709.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

We LOVED the dessert party and if the prices stayed the same we would definitely do it again. I'm not sure if the addition of some fake champagne would make the price jump worth it to us. I think it's going to be around $50 per person…OUCH! That's quite the jump! And we definitely wouldn't eat $200 worth of desserts! Never say never though…I'll wait and see what the reviews say.

After the fireworks, we walked back to BLT so we wouldn't have to fight the monorail crowds.

Up next, day 5…Animal Kingdom. I just know you're waiting with bated breath to see if I rode Expedition Everest!

Day 5-April 13, 2014
Part 1
Will I or Won't I Conquer Everest??!!

The rain cleared out by the morning and this is what I woke up to…
IMG_9720.jpg
Not such a bad view after all…

This is looking to the left. There are two bad things about this view though. One, looking straight ahead, you can see right into other people's rooms, and they into ours, obviously. It's really a bad design for a hotel…I'm not sure why they didn't make it more like The CR instead of curving it in this way. And two, The Electric Light boat parade came by REALLY late at night and was REALLY loud. It woke us up a couple of times. Not to mention the boat horns super early in the morning waking us up (which I didn't mind as much because I like to get up early anyway). We have stayed at the CR in a TPV and were never bothered by any noise like that. Like I said, live and learn. It didn't ruin our stay, but next year, I'll shell out the points for a TPV.

Here's me at the bus stop waiting to go to Animal Kingdom…IMG_9722.jpg

That pic is at 8:18am. Our plan was to get to AK at rope drop and ride Expedition Everest first thing before our breakfast at Tusker House. When we got to the bus stop, there was a girl there with an iPad who told us we had just missed the AK bus and the next one would be there in about 20 minutes. Bummer! So we waited about 5 minutes and guess what? Yup! The AK bus showed up!

I still hadn't 100% decided if I would ride Expedition Everest. Like I said, I had watched Youtube videos and read descriptions on these boards, and I kind of wanted to go on just so I could say I had. But I wasn't confident that I wouldn't chicken out at the last minute. Anyway, we got to the park just after rope drop and headed straight to EE…we were in such a hurry that I didn't even take our normal pics at the AK sign. Bummer…but I told myself I'd get some on the way out. Suuuurreee…unless I FORGET and walk right past it!

Well, it was the moment of truth. We got to EE and got in line (there really wasn't a line, just the walk through the queue). DM went to the spot where she and I normally sit, and I got in line with the kids thinking that I could STILL chicken out and decide not to go. We got to the front where we were about to get on and….
AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_7270667898.jpg
I went! Here's me HOLDING MY BREATH, trying not to DIE!! Agh!! I can even see I kept my eyes open! What was I thinking?! So naturally, I was scared out of my wits and I would never ride again, right? WRONG!
AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_7270643124.jpg
At least I smartened up and closed my eyes this time, but what the HECK am I doing in the front seat?!!

And why the HECK would I ride a THIRD time??!!
AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_7271271322.jpg
Oh my GOSH! I am even SMILING in this one!

HaHa! Isn't that crazy?! It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I learned to keep my eyes closed going down the big hill and then the ride was pretty much over after that. The backwards part is kind of scary but didn't bother me as much as I thought, though it was a bit disorienting and kind of felt like we were going upside down. But I knew what to expect from the descriptions and videos and kept telling my self that we weren't upside down.

I actually felt proud of myself for going on! It definitely helped that my kids were not about to let me chicken out! HAHA! EE is now officially a part of my AK ride repertoire! Here's us just after the first time…I'm feeling pretty proud of myself...
IMG_9725.jpg

After conquering Everest (3 times!), we were all getting hungry, so we headed over to Tusker House for our 10:30 ADR…

Up next…Safari breakfast with Donald and friends...

Attachments

• AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_7270668174.jpg
    AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_7270668174.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter