The Dance Mom Thread

We have the Rac n Roll and LOVE it! We have the small which says you can hold 1-7 costumes, but we got in 10 for her recital with room to spare, although it would be difficult to do with a few tutus in there. Check them out at racnroll.com. Their customer service is great too. Best thing we ever bought!

We have the Rac n Roll and LOVE it! We have the small which says you can hold 1-7 costumes, but we got in 10 for her recital with room to spare, although it would be difficult to do with a few tutus in there. Check them out at racnroll.com. Their customer service is great too. Best thing we ever bought!

Thanks I will look at it.

Erin

How wonderful for your son, a summer of dance in NYC and then to see "the man" in person.

I will admit I had forgotten about this thread. I'm glad to stumble back on it as we have very exciting news in our family this week. My DD9 auditioned at our National Ballet School (it's a full time school program linked to their professional Ballet company) and was accepted. My DS11 was accepted as well at that age. It made the audition so much more stressful for DD9 as she soooo wanted to get in like her big brother.

We have the medium Dream Duffel. I used it for the first time this weekend. I really liked having everything organized, but I'm not sure I would spend the money on the bags again. They're really cool, but they don't fit well in the bag when it's time to pack up and go. They don't lay flat, so there's not room for our make-up bags. Part of the reason I bought it was because I didn't want to carry 3-4 bags for each of my girls.
If the bags fit better, you could put stuff under the costumes. I would also like to see the hanging area be a little taller since my oldest is 5'5". Her longer costumes ruppled at the bottom of the bag.

It sounds like I don't like it, but I really do, I just wish I would have known those things before I bought it.

About paying your dues, etc.

I hope my post didn't sound braggy, but how nice for a change to post some really good parts! We've had many years of tears and sucking it up when not getting good roles.

I'll admit to being a closet stagemother and a partial helicoptor mom, but I have to say over the years my girls have learned a lot about life and disappointment being in the ballet and theater world.

I don't think they were braggy. I agree that this is a very competitive world and you will have more disappointments than rewards. Stage time and being in the spot light is the ultimate goal of any dancer. Nothing wrong with mom and dad being proud and wanting to share that.

We have the medium Dream Duffel. I used it for the first time this weekend. I really liked having everything organized, but I'm not sure I would spend the money on the bags again. They're really cool, but they don't fit well in the bag when it's time to pack up and go. They don't lay flat, so there's not room for our make-up bags. Part of the reason I bought it was because I didn't want to carry 3-4 bags for each of my girls.
If the bags fit better, you could put stuff under the costumes. I would also like to see the hanging area be a little taller since my oldest is 5'5". Her longer costumes ruppled at the bottom of the bag.

It sounds like I don't like it, but I really do, I just wish I would have known those things before I bought it.

I was thinking about the large bag since I am going to use with both dds, I wonder is the bags fit better in the larger one. I also only want to have one thing. Most people at our studio use rolling racks and have their garment bags to carry and their dance bag. I am looking for something easier, since sometimes it is just me and the dds.

OK, I'm still here, too. Been a very very long time since I posted on this thread! So long you all probably won't remember me ...

I just ordered the medium bag for DD through her team. Based on your comments, I think I'll wait on the clear garment bags until I see them.

Big changes for us this year. DD auditioned for a new team and made it, so life has definitely changed. We are dancing Mon-Thurs and have Saturday production rehearsals every other week. The good thing is that the new studio is only 6 minutes from home - makes for easy drop offs and pick ups.

Her other team dissolved and the whole situation ended badly with the studio owners. About 75% of her old team moved on to this new team, so we still get to see them all the time.

We are looking forward to competition season, which for us begins the beginning of March. Everything this year is local - no traveling for nationals as the coach picked a nationals that is about an hour from here. I'm happy and sad about it all at the same time. We got to spend some quality one on one time on those trips.

What is everyone's season looking like? More competitions or fewer? Changes due to the economy - team size, fees, etc? Just curious what is happening around the country.

This is going to sound really lame, but my dad has a suit bag from JCPenney that fits all four of my daughter's costumes perfectly and is sturdy, durable, and waterproof :thumbsup2

DD got a notice with photo-shoot times last dance class, and it came with a reminder that said "FIVE WEEKS TIL RECITAL!" and my heart skipped a beat. :dance3: Skipped another when DD said that her toe has poked through her ballet shoe... :eek: :scared:

It's that time of year again for me when I get out all the class information to my students. This lets them know what classes are available for them & what their placement is.

I know all of you on here are not "my parents" but please trust where your director and/or instructors are placing your children. I know my students are placed where I believe they will get the best instruction for themselves, individually. A lot of thought is put in to placement of the students. I speak with all my instructors & they let me know where the kids should be placed.

If a student isn't moved to the next level it's not because we think they are a horrible dancer or that we don't want them with their friends. It's because we know they still need to perfect the level we have placed them in. The last thing we want to do is frustrate a child in a class they are not ready for so they end up not enjoying themselves & quitting something they had once enjoyed.

Please don't try to bully your director/instructors in to placing your child where they don't belong. It's much easier to move a child up once the year has started to boost their confidence than have them take a class that is much to difficult & having to tell them they just can't handle it.

I'm going to get off my soapbox now, but please, let your instructors place your children - they've worked with & are honestly trying to do what is best for each child, individually. Have confidence in what they tell you.

MELSMICE--AMEN!!!

My DD15 is finally, FINALLY going en pointe this year. It's been a really, really long road for her--she's stronger in tap. We moved 2 years ago--just as she was about to go en pointe. Well, her teachers here felt she needed to wait. It's been difficult for her to see younger girls in pointe, but there are reasons. My DD has made some choices that made this road longer, but it's been good for her to decide she wanted this, and put in extra effort to make it happen.

P.S. There are some moms at our studio who are always asking for extra "favors", etc. for their dancers. They aren't fooling anyone. Forcing the studio to put your child in a higher class, does NOT make her a better dancer! And really, you're not even fooling your child--how can she have confidence in her abilities if she knows Mommy is arranging her advancements?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter