The Dance Mom Thread

missypie--I'm right there with you! Dh and I both have engineering degrees. He played baseball while I was completely un-athletic. Not only do we have a thin, blonde dancer, but she wants to be a cheerleader as well. (Cheerleading doesn't start until 9th grade here). I told her that she was an embarressment to the family and why couldn't she join the math team like a normal girl?!?;)

Ain't that the truth! I love that I have dancers-I always wanted to dance but I swear I didn't push them into it. I NEVER thought I'd have a gymnast and that would have been one of the last things I would have chosen for a child of mine. But DD12 has spent about the last 8 years devoted to gymnastics. (The LAST thing would be cheerleading-DD12's tryouts are this afternoon!)

I always wanted a cello player. Not a string player among them. I always wanted to be a band mom. They are all choir kids.

You just give them opportunites and they gravitate toward what they enjoy.

And for us, we thought we would have the average boy who wanted to play baseball. Well, he started out with t-ball at age 6, but spent his time in the outfield looking at the clouds. He was bored. When he was 8, he said he wanted to take ballet. This is his 8th year of strictly classical ballet. We gave him the opportunity to do what he enjoys and he just happens to have the natural talent. I hope he is able to reach his goal. Only a few more years to go. I am exhausted and ready to move to America, stop homeschooling, and have a job like a normal person.

And wouldn't you know, the more difficult costume change (out of tan tights into fishnets) is the one from 1 to 7. Ugh!

Don't you just love it!:rotfl:

Last weekend, my daughter performed at an Autism Benefit. Now, luckily she's old enough to take care of everything and I never go backstage. Her first number (hip hop) was #4. Her second number (modern) was #7, so she only had two numbers in between costume changes. Worse than that, the hip hop number is an extremely energetic piece that leaves the dancers practically gasping for breath afterwards.:scared:

On top of that, the organization running the benefit was having difficulty with the music (not sure what the issue was) and sure enough, the girls got out on stage and within seconds it was obvious their music was messed up. They had to leave the stage and they ended up performing later in the show. So, that meant my daughter had to change quickly out of the hip hop costume and into her modern costume. THEN she had to change out of the modern costume and back into the hip hop costume. Jeepers! And she was the only one that had to do that because the other girls on the hip hop team weren't in the modern number.

Of course, there was also the poor girl (from a different studio) that had a very embarrassing costume malfunction, causing her to run off stage, and there was a large prop that fell over during another dance number.:eek: It was an interesting night!

Back from the performance with an extra kid!

All of our dancers did great. Only one minor snafu. They were supposed to have an RV to use as a changing room for the older dancers, and a tent for the younger dancers (both of my girls fall in the younger dancers category). So we get there, and no tent! So at first we thought we were all going to have to use the RV, but then we were told we could use a bldg about 600 yards away. Which would be fine if you didn't have any quick changes (which we did!). Thankfully, DD1 has to wear a nude leotard under one of her costumes, so I had decided yesterday to have her wear it under all of them. She put the nude leo on, then her tights over it since she had to change tights too. So she changed outside under the front of the RV! And DD2, I just left in the leotard and tights part of her costume and had her put her company warm ups on over it. All in all, it made for an interesting afternoon! :rotfl:

Back to the issue of inadequate change rooms, as a mother of a boy dancer I can go on and on about this topic so I will try to stay focussed. At our studio's Gala (the first time the dancers perform we hold a recital for friends and family to work out the bugs before we hit the competition circuit) we had another type of change room faux pas.

We only had one large room for the dancers to change in. (Here comes a small outburst on my part so be prepared) Naturally this lead to my son and the other male dancer to have to change in the public men's washroom and he was unable to make the team meeting held in the changeroom prior to the performance. I was sent in to listen and then relay the information to him. Why they just all couldn't cover up for five minutes to let him and the other boy dancer in I don't know as THEY are still members of the team regardless of their gender but back to my main story because I do have one.

During the team meeting- a teacher made a quick mention to a certain dancer to remember to take out her nose piercing and moments later this particular dancer has a very loud four letter word filled temper tantrum. "I've paid all this &%*! money to dance and I don't have to @$#%& take this *&$%#" she screams at the teachers. She is one of the older dancers and as this is a team meeting (minus the two boys-Oh dear, did I somehow slip that in again? You'd think I would be over it by now:rolleyes1 ) there are dancers from age 4 to adult. The mothers of the younger girls (once they picked their mouths up off the floor at the incredibly selfish and rude behaviour of this older dancer) covered up their daughters ears and stampeded towards the door out into the hallway. It was a collision of tutu's and taffeta to be the first to exit. Quite comical if you can remove yourself from the horror of it.

The tantruming dancer did NOT go on stage that night. There were huge holes in the dances she was supposed to be in. She let down all the other girls she danced with because she refused to take out her piercings for the Gala. She said she would for a competition but not the GALA. The teachers were calm and nicer to her than I would have been but have decided that she has NOT been invited to dance with our studio again. Luckily we had three weeks to "fix" her dances.

The moral of the story is that it is a GOOD thing to have the young and older dancers get ready in a SEPERATE place.

Also of course that boy dancers need a GOOD change room too.

Can I get a little pixie dust from the dance moms for a cheerleader? I'm in WDW with my cheerleader daughter and one of her teammates fell and fractured her foot. Her mom isn't here and she,s scared.

pixiedust: pixiedust: for undercovermom--it must be scary, being so far from home when you're hurt! Not to mention having to miss out on the competition AND WDW! Poor kid!

And Grr on the changing stories--we haven't run into that yet, but I think it helps that we're low-key and have recitals at high schools, where there are always several rooms available.

Diamondintheruff--I can't believe the excluded the boys from the meeting! That was un-called for. They could have worked around the issue better, like giving the girls a warning that in 5 minutes, the boys are coming in for the meeting. If they're supposed to be listening, they shouldn't be changing right at that moment anyway, right? And Bravo! to the instructors who kicked out the swearing nore piercing girl. Who the heck does she think she is?

Can I get a little pixie dust from the dance moms for a cheerleader? I'm in WDW with my cheerleader daughter and one of her teammates fell and fractured her foot. Her mom isn't here and she,s scared.

Ouch!! Loads of pixiedust: for your DD's teammate.

As far as the team meeting/pep talk before a show, we do that on stage so all company members are invited regardless of gender. Even the parents are invited!

We only had one large room for the dancers to change in. (Here comes a small outburst on my part so be prepared) Naturally this lead to my son and the other male dancer to have to change in the public men's washroom and he was unable to make the team meeting held in the changeroom prior to the performance. I was sent in to listen and then relay the information to him. Why they just all couldn't cover up for five minutes to let him and the other boy dancer in I don't know as THEY are still members of the team regardless of their gender but back to my main story because I do have one.

:mad: It is time for both moms of the boys to STAND UP FOR YOUR BOYS NOW!!!!!!!!!! THings are NOT going to change unless YOU speak up and make the change! Changing in a bathroom is unacceptable. Your son is learning to be a dancer--- not practicing to be a street person.

Meetings are for EVERYONE involved. If the meeting cannot be held in the hallway, they don't need to be held at all.

Personally, I would be looking for another school that values a boys worth just as much behind the scenes as they do on the stage.

Our studio lets the boys dance tuition-free. Come on by, they'll probably roll out the red carpet for you, too. An area to change in & inclusion in team meetings is hardly a lot to ask for.

That's what I was thinking, cabanafrau. Studios around here would KILL for boys. If you have a school that isn't treating your boy right, speak up! If they persist, move elsewhere. Boys should expect and deserve better.

That's what I was thinking, cabanafrau. Studios around here would KILL for boys. If you have a school that isn't treating your boy right, speak up! If they persist, move elsewhere. Boys should expect and deserve better.
:worship: Thanks all. You're right I need to speak up. I need to talk to the owner about something else anyway. Thanks for the push.

Dd's team mate fell during the routine and had to crawl off the mat. Our assistant coach got an up close view of celebration Hospital. the young lady spent the rest of the trip on crutches or in a wheel chair, but she's hoem now and she's as well as can be expected, given that her ankle is splinted.

undercovermom, glad your DD's teammate got the care she needed and is back home now.

Warning, rant ahead!!

I should never have posted about the families at our studio who quit mid-year because some things always occur in 3s! I found out today that another girl in DD1's company is gone effective last night (we are on Spring Break this week and our next competition is Apr 11-13). I've only heard from another mom, not the directors, but when it comes to the family in question, the mom that told me has accurate info. I haven't said anything to DD1 yet. I figure I will wait until I see the e-mail that says, "Due to the loss of a team member, XXX company has extra rehearsals to respace the dances." before I say anything to DD1. I know the mom who pulled her daughter thinks she has a good reason, but she I'm not sure if she has any clue what she has just done to her own daughter, not to mention the other 11 girls who count on her.

Rant over!

As I mentioned before, we are on Spring Break at the studio, so no dance classes and rehearsals this week. It's nice not having to drive to the studio daily, but the energy level of my girls is through the roof right now since they don't have dance to tire them out! :rotfl:

undercovermom, glad your DD's teammate got the care she needed and is back home now.

Warning, rant ahead!!

I should never have posted about the families at our studio who quit mid-year because some things always occur in 3s! I found out today that another girl in DD1's company is gone effective last night (we are on Spring Break this week and our next competition is Apr 11-13). I've only heard from another mom, not the directors, but when it comes to the family in question, the mom that told me has accurate info. I haven't said anything to DD1 yet. I figure I will wait until I see the e-mail that says, "Due to the loss of a team member, XXX company has extra rehearsals to respace the dances." before I say anything to DD1. I know the mom who pulled her daughter thinks she has a good reason, but she I'm not sure if she has any clue what she has just done to her own daughter, not to mention the other 11 girls who count on her.

Rant over!

As I mentioned before, we are on Spring Break at the studio, so no dance classes and rehearsals this week. It's nice not having to drive to the studio daily, but the energy level of my girls is through the roof right now since they don't have dance to tire them out! :rotfl:

Enjoy the quiet while it lasts.

undercovermom--Glad to hear that the girl is healing nicely. I hope she gets to try again next year, and have a more magical trip.

We have a 5-day break, just a few dance classes missed. And track started this week (modified level--middle school). So, no hopped-up kids here. And I think the track coach gives them a workout schedule for breaks, although they don't have actual practice. OTOH, we still have a lot of snow on the ground, so we'll see. We're definitely seeing track/dance conflicts, but I figure DD's almost 13, I saw this coming, I told her it was coming, and she still wanted to do track.

Anyone in or around the San Antonio area with intel on the dance studios there??

We are looking at a potential (more like probable, but too soon to tell for sure) move there within the next year. Now, not only do i have to consider schools in the equation, I have to factor in dance studios too! :headache:

Thanks!

Anyone in or around the San Antonio area with intel on the dance studios there??

We are looking at a potential (more like probable, but too soon to tell for sure) move there within the next year. Now, not only do i have to consider schools in the equation, I have to factor in dance studios too! :headache:

Thanks!

just wait...in a few years she'll be going to college.,

my 17 year old is college-bound in the fall, she's currently thinking about which school to attend. she's a cheerleader, and one of the criteria she is using for her decision is "how is their cheerleading team?" and her best friend n on the team, who studied dance at a studio at the same time she was cheering on the school team, plans to go "somewhere where there's a dance program..."

I hope that everyone has a lovely easter and everyone who is on break is enjoying with my dd's knee she cant dance for a while but she is still going to practices to view when she can so i feel like theres no break here lol

Undercovermom glad to hear that the injured girl is home we have got upclose views of hospitals in different places in the past as my dd seems to be so lucky and breaks at least one thing it seem like at alot of away competitions thats real fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter