~The Daily Grind~ 9/15/09

Christy - EGADS! Snakes!? Irrational fear of the snake. Thanks for explaining sugarwood! I was wondering.

Everyone feel better!

Tuesday:

DD up, fed, dressed off to bus
Little DD up and fed
Dishes
Laundry
Vacuum - did not get to this yesterday
Pull financial records for construction loan
Dinner - chicken - ran late yesterday kids ate McDs on way to 4H meeting
Parents club meeting 6 pm
Schedule DD2 birthday pictures
Clean up some clutter piles

but sugaring pays the house taxes and keeps us going when times are slim like now. so I need to make sure it gets done. I can't split these size chunks as I just can't budge them so he splits I throw and then help stack. between the house and sugarhouse we go through about 20 cords of wood a year. I should be as skinny as a rail :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well off to get his bills done and then unload the wagon (it holds a cord when i get it full). guess my list for the day went out the window.

Christy - I didn't realize you guys did sugaring - that's so cool! :banana: We usually make trips farther up (from us) in NE annually to buy our maple syrup, but would much rather buy from someone we know! (If we run out, only then do we turn to BJs or the Christmas Tree Shop - eek! :scared1:) We love, love, love the B grades - nice and hearty maple flavor...

yep theres been sugaring going on in this sugarhous since 1912. Toms family has been on this land since 1770's. I swear sap or syrup runs through his veins and my boys are just like dad so I know it will go on for another generation.

we can ship but it costs and arm and a leg. we're ususally around the boston area (family in Quincy and the south shore) every couple of months. course there is nothing better than fall in vermont for picture taking. I can't wait to do fall pics with the boys and hiking in the maples it's just beautiful.

TRM Sugaring is it's own world and people really have no concept of what goes into it. Tom and I have made it our sugarhouse's mission too show it to as many people and especially kids as we can. Even half of the boys class have NO clue. We host at least 3-4 classes a year and have the open house sign out whenever we are boiling on weekends. We do it the old fashioned way to an extent. but have some of the modern equipment.

Oh, Morgan would love to see sugaring! I'm not a maple syrup fan (unfortunate sickness when I was young, I never recovered from it), but DH and PrincessM love love love it!

Please let know when you'll be in the Boston area, one of my sis's lives in Quincy ;)

That is awesome! (The best things happen - and the best people meet up - on the DIS!)

We would love to come up sometime to visit and get syrup from you and enjoy the foliage and local sites. We can PM each other to work out details...

We use maple syrup on or in EVERYTHING - I even use it in my iced tea, instead of sugar; DH uses the granular type mixed with black pepper on virtually ALL his food; and our kids are practically made of pancakes and maple syrup! Desserts, soups, sauces/marinades, you name it, maple syrup goes in it around here! I grew up on that Mrs. Butterworth crap and am happy that my kids know what the real thing tastes like.

You are so fortunate to have such a wonderful family heritage! Lucky girl - even if it does come with snakes...eek!

sounds great. Jennifer I will definately let you know. usually I go when needed for family events, but I really should go see nana (i hate seeing her when she'd be so misserable if she knew the condition she was in) Mom's headed out to look at new RV's so it will be a month before they are back I'm sure. They're headed fro TN (so if any of you down there see a VT 40' rv hauling a crv say hi)

Then you all need to make a mud season trip to see the whole operation working. the smell in the sugarhouse yUUUUUUUUMMMMMy! nothing better:cloud9::cloud9:

I'll be just a pm away! only day I have plans is my big scrap (if my SU rep gets her butt in gear) is not till 10/24 and the best foliage is gone by then.

My little puppy has pulled out her stitches, the vet is saying it will be fine but i am keeping a close eye on her now.

Rebecca

nuaghty duchess !!! but we've had them do it and they are fine try to keep her from too much rough housing. It's not easy task with a puppy. Bailey is almost 9 months and shows no signs of adult hood:rotfl2: course she's a hunting dog so she'll take longer growing out of it.

Oh NO!!! Rebecca!!! I'm so sorry.. I'd be in panic mode right now...as I don't have animals....and my kids haven't had stitches since PJ was 14 months old....it was by her nose between her eyes..so she never messed w/ it because she would go cross-eyed!

Wow, my kids would love homemade maple syrup! And I would love the fall foliage! It's so much fun to hear what's going on in the different parts of the country.

Ok, girls, am I over reacting???

The kids are using recorders in music class... I'm unaware of if they are all sharing them or what....but I have one from DS13....and sent it in w/ DS8. He was told he could not use it and must use the one she provided...
I'm concerned...with all the viruses going around, H1N1 (and NO, I am not in a panic), mono (which is currently going around our HS), I'm not comfortable w/ him using a "public" recorder....

I emailed the teacher... How do you all feel if this was your DS/DD...

**THIS IS NOT TO BE A BASHING PLEASE!!!**

Nan, I think you are doing the right thing by emailing to see what's going on. Surely, she has one for each child or is disinfecting them somehow. If not, then yes, it is a concern with all the sickies going around. No one wants their child sick and if there is a way to prevent it, then it should be done.

ICK! I do not think you are over-reacting in the least. Sounds like a strange music teacher power trip to me. (Would you let the whole grade full of kids share a drinking straw at lunch? Same thing...ick!)

I would also be contacting the principal, superintendent, etc. on this if you don't get a swift and satisfactory response from the teacher. It sounds like you are already pretty plugged into the school administration.

(The noodge in me wonders why, with all the public info about viruses out there, that the teacher/school wasn't proactive enough to send home notices PRIOR to the lessons saying "Starting next week, the kids in Grade X will be using shared recorders, but we're sterilizing them in...." or whatever.

In the meantime, stick to your guns and ensure that your child uses his own recorder or he'll have to be excused from music class - too bad!

Sheesh!

Nancy I would definately ask- I don't understand why a child couldn't use one that they have at home instead of having to play the school one- recorders aren't different other than in color. I would ask that if she won't allow him to use the whole recorder to at least allow him to use the mouthpiece from the one you own.

Rebecca

Thanks gals!! Your points are all ones that I had... especially, considering there was no notification other than at back to school nights the kids would be playing recorders this year... nothing about sharing/purchasing/using one assigned to only them, etc.

Funny you mention being proactive w/ regards to illness.. we have had a boat load of emails on H1N1, seasonal flu, colds, etc... how to handle, report absences, remind kids to wash, cover, etc..

Sorry gals, I've been running back and forth between Guiding Light and posting...and now I'm in tears.. wow! Wow! 3 days left and it is proving to be the best week and finale to such a tremendous show!

Nancy
no way no how would my kid be sharing and how can they keep them separate unless it goes back to the desk with each student. you'd hear me I'd be yelling so loud.

I agree with everyone Nan. If the teacher is going to be a stickler about this, I'd take it over her head. Nope, with the way kids are getting sick, and 2 flus to worry about, and kids are so germy anyway... NOPE!!

Doesn't Grey's start next week?

I do believe Grey's starts next week..but I am so far behind w/ the kids' events last year..the last episode I was....wait...are you seating down? was when she had sketched the house out by candlelight! :faint: the horror.. so I have to really start watching 2 episodes a day to catch myself up.... or maybe there was another.. I remotely remember....Cristina being bopped by the icicle and Army dr. taking care of her...

Grey's in fact does start next week. :cool1::banana: And Nan, you'd better get going!!! Maybe you can catch up next week when you would have been watching Guiding Light.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter