The Daily Dish - nightly reviews May 5-13!

Enjying the reviews and lobster mac sounds heavenly!!

Thanks! IT does sound good doesn't it? I just didn't order it because I can make it at home, but if it's lobster you want it'd probably be quite good. To me Lobster mac and cheese is a side dish, and a full meal of it would be too much.

I like the food and characters, but I have to agree that the service is horrible. We are always thirsty there, because it takes forever to get refills.

We were not impressed with coral reef when we went. Sounds like you had a bit of a better experience. We had to wait over an hour, and at that time our kids were 1 and 6. Then we were seat way in the back where it was very dark and not a very good view of the fish. The food was good, but the lack of kid friendly atmosphere made for a stressful dinner. It is good that my our waiter was helpful, but it seems a bit bad that there are so many things on the menu that the staff is saying to avoid.

It's good to know we're not alone with the CP experience, we were starting to smell our armpits to see if it was us, lol. I'm sorry you had such a bad Coral Reef experience, we were seated within about 15mins of arriving and got a half decent table, but I can definitely see how a trip there can quickly go south if you have an awful table and long wait. I also agree that it's not very kid friendly. If I ran the world, I'd get them to do a major menu overhaul and change to a signature dining spot. It sounds like it's great for families on paper, but really if you're not sitting right at the tank I can see young children just having meltdowns there. It's not a very family friendly environment, but on paper it sounds like it would be.

Your photo is one of the nicest I have seen of it and it makes me want it!

Not another bad review of CP! We are going to try it for ourselves but we are keeping our expectations way low for this one!
Thanks for the compliment! It really does look yummy doesn't it!? Don't let the bad reviews scare you away from CP. The food really is fantastic, I just got a dud of a server. I'd still recommend people give it a shot.

We're gonna call yesterday "the good, the bad, and the ugly", even though it didn't happen in that order.

For "the bad", I went to Columbia Harbour House for lunch. I only grabbed a sandwich and a drink as I wasn't feeling dessert. I got the Lighthouse Sandwich, which I've had many times before, and it was great. I didn't take a photo because it really is the ugliest sandwich in the world. It's on a great multiseed bread, with tomato, coleslaw and hummus. The reason why it's "the bad" is because it is the most difficult sandwich to eat, it just keeps falling apart and dripping and ick. Every time I think I should grab a fork and knife, and every time I forget. I"d recommend it, but don't forget the cutlery!

"The good" was our decision to have a QS meal at Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD. Talk about bang for your QS buck if you're on the dining plan! My meal would have cost as much as a TS meal but since they're QS and accept the dining plan I definitely came out on top! If anyone is doing the QS dining plan, this is a great place to go to get a sit down type experience and quality of food for a QS credit. There was also some great servers there that brought our food out for us, and refilled our drinks a few times even though the drinks were self serve. It's pretty sad but the guy here, Carlos, was WORLDS better than our server in the morning at CP. We even left a bigger tip for Carlos as he was fantastic. He's a hidden gem that could do very well at a sit-down restaurant, I'd return here again just to see him!

I ordered the "Cavatappi Chicken Alfredo" which was delicious and a great portion size. I'd have it again in a heartbeat. It's not the prettiest looking dish, but was very good. And the chicken to pasta ratio was perfect for me, so that was a bonus too, lol.
P1000910.jpg

My friend ordered the "Rotisserie Turkey Cobb Salad". This salad was a huge portion with a very light and well seasoned vinaigrette. The turkey on it was large slices of very well cooked turkey that wasn't dry at all which I usually find is the case with meats they'll put on a salad...it usually makes me think of scraps they had nothing better to do with... and this was a great option if you're in the mood for something green.
P1000915.jpg

Her husband had the "Rotisserie Turkey Club Sandwich". It looked great, I would try it sometime. He didn't have much to say about it because he was too busy eating, so I'm guessing that means good things, lol.
P1000913.jpg

And lastly her daughter had the "Four Cheese Pesto Pizza" It looked great but has goat cheese on it which I"m allergic to so I didn't try any. She was very happy with it though, and put a good dent in it for an 11yearold. Her dad helped her put the rest of it away, and agreed that it was a great pizza.
P1000912.jpg

For dessert, 3 of us had the Creme Brulee which was very nice. Slightly burnt in some spots, but honestly for a QS to have creme brulee I wasn't going to nit pick. There was also an order of the cheesecake that was consumed by a very happy man. It also looked great and was a reasonable portion size...that's why I usually won't order cheesecake out, the portions are often too big.
P1000911.jpg

Here's "the ugly". The 3 of us that had the creme brulee were sick all night. I've taken the morning off of the parks because I didn't get any sleep last night, my friends daughter was apparently hugging the toilet a good chunk of the night, and my friend wasn't faring much better. We can't pinpoint for sure if that's what made is sick, but we can definitely make a good assumption since that was the only thing all 3 of us had that was the same. Ugh.

Here's hoping for better days ahead! I'm not eating much of anything today, but have reservations at 50's Prime Time for dinner so I'm looking forward to that.

UGh! Sick on vacation! How rotten.

Anyway, I am really enjoying your reviews. I love WPE!

What a shame I love the lobster ravioli at Coral Reef! However that Mahi looks really good.

Thanks all for your well wishes with re: to my very unhappy tummy. I'm still feeling pretty rotten and have been spending quite a bit of time out of the sun these past two days. It really is unfortunate because the Creme Brulee was absolutely delicious but I definitely won't be getting it again. Once bitten twice shy right?

Last night I took my friends girls to the 50's Prime Time, and they had a blast! Our server wasn't overly into it, which was good for us because they'd get very upset if they got in trouble, but the kids got a kick out of watching other people get heck for having their elbows on the table and what not.

Now to the goods:

We ordered an onion rings plate to start. I love me some onion rings, and seeing the photos of them on here made me want to try them even more. They were absolutely delicious. They're huge and definitely made for sharing. We all agreed we'd get these again.
IMG_0169.jpg

For the older girls main, she ordered the meatloaf....with extra green beans :rolleyes1. She HATES potatoes, in any form other than fried. I could live off of mashed potatoes and gravy, and the idea of having to eat them makes her want to puke. So she ordered the extra veggies and our server had to double check that he'd heard her right, lol. She did a good job eating, and I helped her with her veggies because it was basically a plate full of green beans. She really liked the meatloaf though, and I'm sure would order it again on a future trip.
IMG_0171.jpg

For my main, I got the pot roast. I order this every time I come here and it never disappoints. I get it because it's something that I really don't make for myself at home and is generally not that good at other restaurants anyways. 50's Prime Time really is old family faves done just the way mom used to. I was once again very happy with my choice and would highly recommend it to anyone.
IMG_0170.jpg

The younger girl ordered chicken nuggets....again. I'm beginning to become seriously concerned that she's going to turn INTO a chicken nugget. But she's always happy with her meals so who am I to say anything?

We all agreed that this was a great dinner and we'd eat here again.

While we were at 50's Prime Time, my friend and her husband were at Fultons. She didn't take any photos (I haven't trained her well enough yet I guess) but raved about the food. They both had soups to start and their mains were great as well. The only thing that happened that was a little...odd...was when the server came up to them after they'd been seated she said "Hi, welcome to Applebys......wait, that's my old job" :confused3. To me, it's not hard to notice you're not at Applebys when you're somewhere like Fultons. I'd be kinda put off by that, but maybe that's just me.

Photobucket is being rather uncooperative today, so I will be having to post my Yak and Yeti review tomorrow. It was great though, and our server knew where he was working, lol!

Cheers

I went to Fulton's as well and had that same waitress. Pretty sure that's just her schtick. Glad you mentioned it cuz I was having a hard time figuring out whether or not she was joking our actually in her own little world:lmao:

We love the PT 50's cafe and I agree that pot roast is pretty darn good! Can't wait to eat there next Friday :cool1:

Hi all

Ok So I've fallen a bit behind, but Photobucket is being so uncooperative now that there's free wifi on property. I'm going to have to just review some places try to photobucket it and when it doesn't work add photos when I get home from vacation. For any of you wishing to liveblog in the future, be ready to hit this snag.

At the Yak and Yeti we had a great experience. Our table was kinda crummy, right by the door, but our server was fantastic and the food didn't disappoint as I've heard it has for so many others. I'm glad we kept our ressie here, as I had thought about changing it, and would encourage people to give it a shot based solely on my experience.

For my "appetizer" I got a Yak Attack. It was probably one of the better alcoholic drinks I've had on property this trip. I'd love to have been able to keep the glass, it looked like a section of bamboo to me. It's a mango daiquiri with a wildberry swirl in it. Very tasty and I'd say safe for most fruity drink lovers.
IMG_0209.jpg

For our mains two members of my part got the Kobe Beef Burger. This thing is huge! Both of them got it with the Asian slaw on it, though I think they wish they'd done the mushrooms. The burgers disappeared, and considering their size this was no easy task so I think it's safe to assume that this was a good choice for any burger lover.
IMG_0210.jpg

My friend got the salad with tuna on it. Can't remember what it was called, but it was probably the biggest salad I've ever seen. She tried and tried but just couldn't finish it. She says it's a great choice for those who are feeling guilty about all the heavy meals they've been eating while travelling. It has a wasabi glaze on the tuna that was apparently quite nice as well. I didn't try any because I'm not a tuna fan, but she said she'd order it again, so that says a lot.
IMG_0211.jpg

I ordered the Crispy Honey Chicken. It was tasty, but lacking something. I'd probably order it again, but maybe ask for a fried rice with it instead of just jasmine or something. The chicken was cooked very well though, and the sauce was one I could have licked off the plate.
IMG_0212.jpg

Two of us had the sorbet trio for dessert. I'd go back there again just for this, it's a great way to cool off after a day in the parks! My fave was the lemon, though I still kinda wish it was coconut.
IMG_0214.jpg

My friend got the chocolate cake. It looked great, and was a very small slice. Since it was so rich, it really was the perfect portion. If I had known it would be that size instead of some of the other monstrosities we've seen over the trip I may have ordered it myself to be honest. It got a fork scraping the plate, so I'm guessing it was great!
IMG_0213.jpg

Lastly her daughter got the fried wontons and pineapple. I didn't take a picture of this because I think it's the dirtiest looking dessert ever. The sauce looks...unsavoury and not family friendly...we all agreed. But again it got rave reviews and she literally licked her plate clean.

So again, I say, give this one a whirl, you may be pleasantly surprised!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter