The Current Disneyland Annual Pass Program Has Been Cancelled

That likely won't be until the park has been opened to a higher capacity than 25%. And that isn't even on the "California Tier" program.

I wonder about that, though because they said they will extend the discounts at DtD and BVS "until a new membership program has been announced." Certainly, they won't continue to extend discounts once the parks are back open.

I think they will at least announce the new program prior to reopening, but may hold off on starting sales until later on. Then again, with the prevailing thought that reservations will be required and the caveat that admission cannot be guaranteed, they could certainly begin selling a new program immediately.

To be fair, WDW did it by basically converting their AP passes into Flex passes. You can only book three days at a time in advance. A lot of people took refunds instead, and there was still a lot of complaining from those who didn't about how they were receiving a limited product given what they'd paid.

With the number of DL AP holders, they would've had to cancel all of the existing Flex passes anyway (and probably the SoCal as well), and, even then, AP holders would have gone ballistic with how limited their access would have had to be to make it work.

I get people being disappointed. Just don't really understand the anger. (With the exception of people who get shorted on refunds.)

And, point blank, I think Dusty's completely wrong. DL has too much existing infrastructure to just do day passes like that. (That's not how the "memberships" work at Six Flags, either.) If anything, I think it's more likely they'll do a Flex pass of some kind, where you can book a certain number of days in advance, potentially with fewer restrictions than the old Flex pass.
Having been to WDW 3 times since they reopened, you can only book 3 reservations at a time, but after that you can start re-booking reservations again. I got a Magic Kingdom reservation the morning I was going to leave. (I have a WDW AP.) WDW has had to fiddle with their AP reservation system as they have increased capacity. I did feel like WDW listened to their passholders.

I wonder about that, though because they said they will extend the discounts at DtD and BVS "until a new membership program has been announced." Certainly, they won't continue to extend discounts once the parks are back open.

Actually the Disneyland website states that the discounts only run through 2/25/21. They certainly could extend them beyond that but they did give a specific end date.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/news/passholder-merchandise-discount/
“We are excited to share a special merchandise discount for our Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders! Passholders who held active Passports as of March 14, 2020, the park closure date, can receive 30% off select merchandise purchases at Disney owned-and-operated locations at Downtown Disney District and Buena Vista Street. This offer is valid Monday through Thursday, beginning January 18 through February 25, 2021.”

Last edited:
Not that it's something I have to worry about, but I wonder how this is going to affect Club33 members and how/if Disney plans to compensate them for the loss of that perk. IIRC two Sig + passes were included in membership dues.

Maybe with an end date of 2/25, we might see something new, or maybe not. It sounds like a wait and see.

Not that it's something I have to worry about, but I wonder how this is going to affect Club33 members and how/if Disney plans to compensate them for the loss of that perk. IIRC two Sig + passes were included in membership dues.
Actually, 4 premier passports are included. It is my understanding they have been informed there will be accommodations made for their pass.

Actually, 4 premier passports are included. It is my understanding they have been informed there will be accommodations made for their pass.

It's only fair. They 'pay' for the passes with their extremely pricy dues and I doubt if Disney's offering them any kind of refund or reduction of dues.

Actually the Disneyland website states that the discounts only run through 2/5/21. They certainly could extend them beyond that but they did give a specific end date.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/news/passholder-merchandise-discount/
“We are excited to share a special merchandise discount for our Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders! Passholders who held active Passports as of March 14, 2020, the park closure date, can receive 30% off select merchandise purchases at Disney owned-and-operated locations at Downtown Disney District and Buena Vista Street. This offer is valid Monday through Thursday, beginning January 18 through February 25, 2021.”

The 2/25 end date is only for the special 30% discount being offered as an attempt at compensation. Official word so far is that discounts will continue until an announcement is made about the new membership offerings.

Maybe we'll get an announcement then, maybe we won't, but it would be quite a bit of extra ire they would earn if they removed discounts before that announcement after saying they would be good until that point.

This was such a shock to me, but it makes complete sense. We had been out-of-state AP holders for a very long time, but the price ended up being too much to justify for the amount of trips we could fit in a year. So, we started purchasing regular tickets a few years back. I thought it would impact our park visits, but I hardly noticed a difference. No discount was a bummer, but not the end of the world.

This has to sting for those who visit very frequently, but I think them scaling back was inevitable. I also agree with those who have stated that out-of-staters or infrequent visitors will tend to spend more than those who pop in every week or so. I know some on here were emphasizing how much they spent the year before last (like $20,000 or some big figure), but this type of spending by locals is probably an outlier rather than the norm. Out-of-staters are staying in hotels, purchasing tickets, eating in the park for most meals, purchasing souvenirs, purchasing extras (BBB, DTD extras, Frozen special seating), etc. Locals are going to pop in for a few rides, maybe lunch/dinner, then leave. Maybe something "extra" once in a while, but they aren't going to spend a ton on each and every visit (not saying this is wrong at all...if I lived close I probably wouldn't spend much in the park at all because options would be more accessible).

From today's MP DLR Update (1/19-24/21):

Disneyland Resort ends annual passholder program
In another casualty of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Disneyland Resort last week announced that it has discontinued its long-running annual passport program, effective immediately.
Passholders who held a valid pass when the Resort closed on March 14, 2020, will automatically receive a pro-rated refund of their pass. The change affects the Disneyland Resort only; the Walt Disney World annual pass program remains unchanged.
In a statement, Disneyland Resort President Ken Potrock said:
“We want to thank our Annual Passholders for their understanding during this closure period. Due to the continued uncertainty of the pandemic and limitations around the reopening of our California theme parks, we will be issuing appropriate refunds for eligible Disneyland Resort Annual Passports and sunsetting the current program. We are currently developing new membership offerings that will utilize consumer insights to deliver choice, flexibility and value for our biggest fans.”
Passholders were notified of this change via email, and you can also view the text of the letter at a new website Disney has established with information about the refund process. It includes information about many situations, including refunds for unactivated annual passports and Premier Passholders (which provided admission into both Disneyland and Walt Disney World parks).
While this announcement is a blow to Disney fans around the country, the decision was almost inevitable. Disney officials never speak of attendance numbers (and even in announcing the end of the current annual pass program, they declined to state how many passholders the Resort actually had), but it's estimated that around one million people bought annual passports each year. The sheer number of annual passholders was a factor in nearly every operational decision at the Disneyland Resort, from how much parking capacity was needed, to how the opening days of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge were managed.

Disney created many exclusive merchandise collections for various annual passholder promotions. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

During a conference call with reporters, Potrock said that, while the Resort still hasn't gotten any guidance on when the Disneyland theme parks will be allowed to reopen, he expects "we’ll be opening in a very different and new way, using a reservation system."
Based on guidance issued by the state for other business sectors, as well as the tentative reopening guidelines proposed for theme parks, it's certain that capacity restrictions will be part of any reopening plan. The existing passholder base would likely overwhelm whatever limited capacity the Resort is able to operate under.
Disney has taken several steps to change the annual passholder program over the past few years—by raising prices, eliminating some pass types, and most recently introducing a passport with few blockout days, but which required an advance reservation to use. But if the company had ever wished to completely overhaul the program, the current pandemic provided the perfect opportunity.
During the call, Potrock said, “If there is a silver lining in this pandemic, it’s the ability to take a step back and look at the new normal, whatever that will be, and begin to create a new program that takes into account all the things that are important to our guests.”
In creating the new "membership" program, Disney is conducting extensive research among current and former passholders, day guests and vacation planners to determine which features are most important to them. Potrock said that "nothing is off the table" when it comes to the new program, and that it will be based on the feedback received from guests. Park officials do not have a timeline for introducing the new program, but said they hope it will be ready at whatever time the theme parks are allowed to reopen in California.
However, Potrock acknowledged that the end of the current program will strike an emotional blow to the annual passholder base, many of whom (including this writer) have had their passes for decades. He said that annual passholders are "our biggest fans, our most important fans, a group we want to put our arms around and show them the love."
Towards that end, Disney will continue some passholder benefits for some time, including merchandise and food & beverage discounts in Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street. Disney is also increasing the merchandise discount on Buena Vista Street to 30% from January 18 through February 25. Over the weekend, Disneyland also began giving out promotional Disneyland 65th Anniversary car magnets to Annual Passholders who made a purchase in Downtown Disney, likely a souvenir of a passholder promotion which was canceled due to the pandemic.
While this is definitely the end of an era, it's not the end of the story. Potrock said, "We can’t wait to embark on the next chapter of the Disneyland Resort as soon as we possibly, possibly can."

I have some of the AP merchandise. I had wanted the necklace for over a year before I finally bought it and I bought it on my last visit, thinking I'd wear it whenever I visited. I guess I can still wear it for nostalgia, but I don't think I would have purchased it if I knew I wasn't going to have an AP ever again.

I have some of the AP merchandise. I had wanted the necklace for over a year before I finally bought it and I bought it on my last visit, thinking I'd wear it whenever I visited. I guess I can still wear it for nostalgia, but I don't think I would have purchased it if I knew I wasn't going to have an AP ever again.
How does not having an AP prevent you from going?

I am a local and have had an AP for 26 years so this is a bummer but I am so glad they are going to overhaul the program. Even if they cancelled it all together for a while we would just do a few nights at one of the hotels and make a vacation out of it each year.

I am looking forward to possibly some less crowded days and a new program eventually. I believe they will get rid of the payment plan and the lower tier passes. It was so odd last summer when a Saturday in July was less crowded than a Tuesday in October!

I am a local and have had an AP for 26 years so this is a bummer but I am so glad they are going to overhaul the program. Even if they cancelled it all together for a while we would just do a few nights at one of the hotels and make a vacation out of it each year.

I am looking forward to possibly some less crowded days and a new program eventually. I believe they will get rid of the payment plan and the lower tier passes. It was so odd last summer when a Saturday in July was less crowded than a Tuesday in October!

For years I have personally thought the AP program was completely out of hand (and it became a lot worse when they introduced monthly payment plans). I come as a vacationer from Canada, and I found the parks got very crowded after school/work hours, etc. Just the whole attitude is different when people use it as their daily/weekly hangout. Sorry for those I might offend, but I really think it needs an overhaul.

For years I have personally thought the AP program was completely out of hand (and it became a lot worse when they introduced monthly payment plans). I come as a vacationer from Canada, and I found the parks got very crowded after school/work hours, etc. Just the whole attitude is different when people use it as their daily/weekly hangout. Sorry for those I might offend, but I really think it needs an overhaul.

No offense taken at all, but what I think needs to be pointed out is that DL isn’t WDW and it’s always been focused on locals before tourists; even in Walt’s day.

I don’t live in CA so i’ve always fallen into the tourist category as well, but it’s the local’s vibe which is why I go to DL and not WDW. I like being able to make last minute plans to head down for a weekend when the opportunity arose and not have to worry about competing with tourists that reserved everything from attractions to meals months in advance. Maxpass gives me the same chance as anyone else to shorten my line experience, and with no reservations, I’ve had breakfast at Carnation Cafe, lunch at Blue Bayou, and drinks at Oga’s.

You just can’t do that at WDW, and it’s the way DL caters to locals that makes that possible.

I do hope that once the pandemic is over, DL returns to the spontaneity that made it special to me.

No offense taken at all, but what I think needs to be pointed out is that DL isn’t WDW and it’s always been focused on locals before tourists; even in Walt’s day.

I don’t live in CA so i’ve always fallen into the tourist category as well, but it’s the local’s vibe which is why I go to DL and not WDW. I like being able to make last minute plans to head down for a weekend when the opportunity arose and not have to worry about competing with tourists that reserved everything from attractions to meals months in advance. Maxpass gives me the same chance as anyone else to shorten my line experience, and with no reservations, I’ve had breakfast at Carnation Cafe, lunch at Blue Bayou, and drinks at Oga’s.

You just can’t do that at WDW, and it’s the way DL caters to locals that makes that possible.

I do hope that once the pandemic is over, DL returns to the spontaneity that made it special to me.

I'm from out-of-state and just have my first AP this year. Well, had... But I pretty much agree. The spontaneity is pretty awesome, and part of what makes it better (IMO) than WDW. I agree it had gotten super crowded lots of the time, and I'm optimistic about that improving. But at the same time, I absolutely loved my Flex pass and Maxpass, so I'm really hoping for a good mix of the positive parts in a way that works for locals and further-away passholders or "members."

As a West Coaster (BC in Canada), DL was always my park. I love it a lot more than WDW. The guest experience in the last decade or more has really gone downhill though due to overcrowding IMO. It wasn't like that so much before. I'm hoping whatever they do to revamp their program it doesn't get as bad as it did with all the monthly payment plans, etc. I would think the membership that gets you a certain number of admissions per year would be a great idea. Just my opinion.

As a West Coaster (BC in Canada), DL was always my park. I love it a lot more than WDW. The guest experience in the last decade or more has really gone downhill though due to overcrowding IMO. It wasn't like that so much before. I'm hoping whatever they do to revamp their program it doesn't get as bad as it did with all the monthly payment plans, etc. I would think the membership that gets you a certain number of admissions per year would be a great idea. Just my opinion.

I do get your point there. My hope as well is that some kind of balance can be found that preserves the spontaneity. I absolutely do not want FP+ or a permanent reservation system though.

I actually had the opposite experience over the last decade which is driving my perspective. I had some of the best trips of my life during the 2010’s. A big part of that I think was swapping my trips to mostly happen during the historically down periods. Avoiding summer, holidays, and other peak periods became my norm. I was even able to squeeze in an unplanned afternoon at Knott’s on one of them which I hadn’t done since I was a kid, due to lucky timing and significantly light crowds throughout OC.

We’ll see what happens.

It makes sense you need to manage capacity. Can’t really do that with passes when you can enter. Sucks for the people that enjoyed the passes tho.

Also when we would go in late feb/early March. The mornings and late night were the best times at the park. Around 2-3pm to about 8-9pm the parks were insanely crowded, I presume these are the local AP folks who would go after leaving the office early or after school?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter