The "Cult of Frozen"

Plus, she beans him with a frying pan on first meeting him, which is awesome.

Why is that awesome? Do you know how bad you can hurt someone with a cast iron frying pan? You sure don't seem to like boys very much.

By the way, if you're fond of Game of Thrones, as well as Frozen, there is this unofficial tee for sale over at Teefury.

Winter-is-Coming.png

http://www.teefury.com/gallery/2885/Winter_is_Coming/

I must own this before our WDW trip in April. I don't typically wear t-shirts in public, but this is a terrific exemption from that policy!

I just saw it for the second time, the sing a long version. I loved it more the second time around. It's pretty, it's got heart and character, and of course the music is great. But what I love the most is the humor. I picked up on so many funny lines the second time around.

We're pretty addicted to her as well, my daughter squealed like a three year old when she saw the Doctor/Hermione mash-up. I haven't bought a character shirt from Disney in years, but I'll gladly wear my Alice and the Doctor shirt ...

My daughter got the Doctor/Hermione shirt, as well! :thumbsup2

Why is that awesome? Do you know how bad you can hurt someone with a cast iron frying pan? You sure don't seem to like boys very much.

YOU sure don't seem to like comedy very much. :rolleyes:

It's awesome from a storytelling perspective. She doesn't swoon into raptures at the sight of Flynn, and his attempts at seducing her have no effect. The frying pan routine is SLAPSTICK.

By the way, have you written to Disney to protest the Donald Duck camping cartoon they show on Disney's Magical Express busses? Just think of all the children who get off that bus honestly believing violence against ducks is funny! :scared:

f18459b2ed928bb902c9cff3b699145f.jpg

:rotfl2:

~The Lego Movie's success was no surprise to me. Lego came out with some amazing video games recently. We spent hundreds of dollars on Disney Infinity for the kids and it just collects dust. But, we were all blown away and hooked on Lego City Undercover it was one of the best games I have ever seen. Then Lego released Lego Marvel Super Heroes -- this game was super popular with kids. The Lego Movie Game also debuted with the movie. The Lego Movie had no real competition at the theaters so that helped, too. Frozen had to compete with both The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and The Hobbit. But, the Lego franchise is super hot right now! Everything is awesome! :rotfl:

~Anyway, it's no secret that I love Frozen. But, Elsa just stole the show for me. She strikes the perfect balance of beauty, brains, & power -- a triple threat. She can walk like a supermodel & blast away an army in a single breath. Plus, she's the queen! I love Elsa!

~It was an interesting twist, how the handsome & charming prince turned out to be the villain. That's a first.

~Meanwhile, the internet is buzzing with who Elsa's love interest should be. Sub-Zero would make a great Super Hero partner for Elsa.

rl9m5h.jpg

~But the top contender & obvious choice for Elsa is Jack Frost. Awwww. :lovestruc

images
images

HydroGuy said:
Little Mermaid

Was saved by her father - yes a guy, but not a romantic figure. And it was clear that the father contributed to her distressed situation. He was more in a role of redeeming himself than saving a hapless female.

Beauty and the Beast

She was saved by a beast who turned out to be a guy at the very end - and the beast/guy was also saved by Belle in a more important way than he saved her. The beast/guy was the one who imprisoned Belle.

Aladdin

Villain Jafar has hero Aladdin in a prison, the father under his control and Jasmine in his sights. Yes she was distressed but so was everyone.

Biggest hero to save everyone here was the genie. Jasmine and Aladdin also acted heroically.

Lion King

Simba is the one in distress and needs saving. Partly by his father and partly by his friends.

Pocahontas

LOL, I did not see it. You tell me! :goodvibes

Hunchback

Saw it once a long time ago. Seem to remember the hero was the hunchback. Yes a guy but more of perpetual juvenile and not a romantic savior.

Mulan

Did not see that one either! What I have heard is that Mulan is the hero who saves others.

Tarzan

Tarzan is saved by his gorilla friends. With their help he does away with the villain and does save Jane. And her father. So here the guy saves the girl and himself from distress. I guess this one fits the model pretty well of damsel being saved.

Princess and the Frog

Did not see this one!

Tangled

This works more of Rapunzel saving Flynn than vice versa.

My quick tour through recent history Disney animated heroines does not line up very well with a repeating theme of "damsel in distress being saved by a guy".

Debate, agreements and disagreements are all welcome!

:wizard:

Did you forget the end of The Little Mermaid? Eric kills Ursula out of nowhere...not Triton. He saves the day at the last second in the lazily written ending. In fact, Eric saves Triton who has been enslaved by Ursula..

Beast fights off Gaston in hand to hand combat in the end. Belle was a strong woman, but in the end, she gave up everything to be with Prince Adam

Aladdin saves Jasmine from giant snake Jafar. The genie wasn't able to help because he was under Jafar's control. Then Jafar does himself in with a wish.

Simba saves Nala and his mother, Serabi from the tyrranical rule of Scar by fighting off Scar in paw to paw combat and throwing him off Pride Rock.

Hunchback: Phoebus

Finally during Mulan, you started getting a strong female lead...of course when given a chance to rule China or get married...she chooses to get married... boo

Interestingly, my daughter saw a parallel between Elsa's experience and that of a LGBT person. The whole "was she cursed or born that way?" question. The parents' well-meaning attempts to teach her to suppress her true self. The emotional repression and fear of letting herself feel. The hiding away from everyone. That moment of letting everything go and breaking free, but also simultaneously shutting everyone out. Anna's confusion, and inability to understand her sister... It was a really interesting theory!

I don't think there's any one meaning behind the movie. I think it's just as you say... it's an extremely relate-able song and movie, on many, many different levels.

The LGBT perspective has been floating around Tumblr and other "younger" social spaces for at least six months (just prior to the movie's official release, once the popular bloggers had seen it).

I'm sure that the ability to apply one's own experiences and therefore better connect with the film has a lot to do with its success.

In addition to the LGBT readings of the film I've come across, I've also seen a really good one equating Elsa's struggle with people living with mental illness, hurting loved ones without wanting to, keeping it a secret because of stigmatization, etc. I enjoy both interpretations since both reflect my life in different ways.

I think the multiple readings people have of the narrative absolutely had something to do with the film's popularity. Stuff like that is how you appeal to adults with films like this. Most folks I know around my age, who grew up watching Disney films in the Little Mermaid through Mulan era, really loved this film, whether they have kids of their own to show it to or not.

In addition to the LGBT readings of the film I've come across, I've also seen a really good one equating Elsa's struggle with people living with mental illness, hurting loved ones without wanting to, keeping it a secret because of stigmatization, etc. I enjoy both interpretations since both reflect my life in different ways.

I almost posted something about this last night. My DD has bipolar disorder and anxiety. She loves Frozen and really relates to Elsa. She's been working with her music teacher at school to prepare a solo for a concert and the song they chose is "Let it Go." I was listening to the song in the car one day a few weeks ago and it suddenly struck me how the song speaks to DD's struggles with her illness. Since the connection clicked in my head, I can't listen to the song without tearing up. Really, the whole song parallels what DD lives with but the part in red below is what truly got to me.

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation,
And it looks like I’m the Queen.

The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn’t keep it in, heaven knows I tried

Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know
Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go
Can’t hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door

I don’t care
What they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway

It’s funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can’t get to me at all

It’s time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I’m free

Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You’ll never see me cry

Here I stand
And here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on

My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I’m never going back,
The past is in the past

Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone

Here I stand
In the light of day
Let the storm rage on,

I posted here shortly after seeing the movie that Elsa could have been one of the X-Men. All of these parallels have been made with the X-Men at some point in time.

6c480aff72b9dc24e4c9c5159bd025ef-d736w64.jpg

I look at it differently. These movies are fairy tales, not real life, if they depicted dating exactly as it was in real life what would be the fun in watching? Do your daughters think that if they don't have a prom dress their Fairy Godmother will appear and whip them one up? The movies present life in its idealized, unobtainable form, not as the way things are.

I hope that my son has learned about marriage by observing me and his father and by the stories of our life experience that we've shared with him. I don't use movies/tv as a teaching tool. Or maybe I just hope that is how it works seeing as how he's grown up on a steady diet of Family Guy and The Simpsons!

Agreed. And I may get in trouble for saying this, but it is still a popular female fantasy to have a rich, handsome, prince come sweep the girl off her feet and take them off to a life of love, adventure, and wealth. Look at popular romance novels. They aren't all this, but enough are.

It is fantasy.

Hopefully the children have good reality around them to model proper relationships, courting, choosing a mate, and marriage.

P.S. It is our 30th anniversary today! :love2:

There were more than a dozen things in the short "Get a Horse" that would kill a person, not to mention the way they torture the poor bad guy and all laugh. Good ol' slapstick comedy.

~But the top contender & obvious choice for Elsa is Jack Frost. Awwww. :lovestruc

images
images

They actually look drawn for each other!! That would be cool! (Pun intended)

Elsa versus Batman. That made me laugh! :lmao:

I almost posted something about this last night. My DD has bipolar disorder and anxiety. She loves Frozen and really relates to Elsa. She's been working with her music teacher at school to prepare a solo for a concert and the song they chose is "Let it Go." I was listening to the song in the car one day a few weeks ago and it suddenly struck me how the song speaks to DD's struggles with her illness. Since the connection clicked in my head, I can't listen to the song without tearing up. Really, the whole song parallels what DD lives with but the part in red below is what truly got to me.

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation,
And it looks like I’m the Queen.

The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn’t keep it in, heaven knows I tried

Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know
Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go
Can’t hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door

I don’t care
What they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on,

It’s funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can’t get to me at all

It’s time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I’m free

Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You’ll never see me cry

Here I stand
And here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on

My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I’m never going back,
The past is in the past

Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone

Here I stand
In the light of day
Let the storm rage on,

Oh my, this brought a tear to my eye. That is absolutely beautiful. I think (and hope and pray) that this story is being repeated many times for many children in all types of situations.

You should write to the directors and songwriters and tell them.

It isn't an LGBT story at all, it is much bigger than that. I actually believe Frozen is important and kids everywhere should watch it.

Elsa is different and has a horrible time trying to conform and hide herself. She finally gets free and sings the great ballad Let it Go. But that isn't the end of the story. Being yourself but forgetting everyone else is not the solution its another problem.

Her sister sacrifices herself for the person who caused her death (The act of true love) and Elsa learns that it is love that is the answer to her powers.

The real message is we each need to be ourselves AND love and serve others.

What an awesome and true message for every child!!!!

And note how she uses her powers for the people at the end and they accept them.

Sacrificial love, be yourself, loving others - how can you not love what this movie teaches from any aspect.

Then the icing on the cake is that both Elsa and Anna are "real" with some depth that kids can relate to.

And it isn't anti romance. Anna and Elsa are independent but Anna still has a relationship with a man that is her equal and can deal with her strength!

Did I mention I liked Frozen?:lmao:

I thought that the characters were extremely well rounded and complex. Elsa in particular, but even Anna, who I expected to be the cookie cutter "feisty" girl, was much more. She is a real person.

I found the theme of family love trumping love at first sight, and the strength of the sister bond to be moving.

The music is great, and the artwork is amazing.

The story was not what I expected. They took elements common to such stories and tweaked them just enough to keep you on your toes.

The movie did well because it was an entertaining story supported by great music, animation, and acting. When you have those elements in a movie with the Disney brand behind it, you will generate good press and people will go see your movie.

I posted here shortly after seeing the movie that Elsa could have been one of the X-Men. All of these parallels have been made with the X-Men at some point in time.

6c480aff72b9dc24e4c9c5159bd025ef-d736w64.jpg
~Yes, I remember. And, I said -- Elsa was like an Avenger in an evening gown. But I concur, I'm totally loving this X-Men version of Elsa. It's fabulous! :cloud9: :goodvibes

There were more than a dozen things in the short "Get a Horse" that would kill a person, not to mention the way they torture the poor bad guy and all laugh. Good ol' slapstick comedy.

They actually look drawn for each other!! That would be cool! (Pun intended)

Elsa versus Batman. That made me laugh! :lmao:

Oh my, this brought a tear to my eye. That is absolutely beautiful. I think (and hope and pray) that this story is being repeated many times for many children in all types of situations.

You should write to the directors and songwriters and tell them.

It isn't an LGBT story at all, it is much bigger than that. I actually believe Frozen is important and kids everywhere should watch it.

Elsa is different and has a horrible time trying to conform and hide herself. She finally gets free and sings the great ballad Let it Go. But that isn't the end of the story. Being yourself but forgetting everyone else is not the solution its another problem.

Her sister sacrifices herself for the person who caused her death (The act of true love) and Elsa learns that it is love that is the answer to her powers.

The real message is we each need to be ourselves AND love and serve others.

What an awesome and true message for every child!!!!

And note how she uses her powers for the people at the end and they accept them.

Sacrificial love, be yourself, loving others - how can you not love what this movie teaches from any aspect.

Then the icing on the cake is that both Elsa and Anna are "real" with some depth that kids can relate to.

And it isn't anti romance. Anna and Elsa are independent but Anna still has a relationship with a man that is her equal and can deal with her strength!

Did I mention I liked Frozen?
:lmao:
~Fabulous post, as usual yellowstonetim! It's so beautifully written. :lovestruc Oh... & I caught the pun -- too funny. :rotfl: :goodvibes

The poppy description is one I'd disagree with. There is definitely the contemporary ballad "Frozen" but I hear a LOT of Broadway (both contemporary broadway and classic broadway) in the soundtrack. In Summer absolutely reminded me of Singing in the Rain - and Singing in the Rain definitely has staying power. Fixer Upper almost reminded me of a Follies-style number. Then you had Love is an Open Door which reminded me (in styling) of In the Heights, and Let it Go totally reminded me of Defying Gravity (which is not surprising considering who both songs were written for).

Agree 100% with the Broadway influence on the soundtrack. Wonderful music!

"Let it Go" and "Defying Gravity" not only share the commonality of both being belted out amazingly by Idina Menzel, but the point of the song is similar. Both Elsa and Elphaba have been outcast and are embracing their powers and their "dark side." There's even some parallel with Anna and Elsa's reconciliation at the end of the film with Glinda and Elphaba forgiving each other in "For Good."

P.S. Loving the Elsa crossover artwork!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter