The cruise that almost didn't happen

Pinkprincessmom

Children are made readers on the laps of their par
Ok, this may get long and is a bit silly, but I've got to keep this under wraps for a while, and I'm about to burst.

We started looking at cruises shortly after our first family trip to Disney in Nov./Dec. 2004. We decided September or January would work best b/c our dd is in year round school and it fit our budget best. At that time, Sept. 2005 was all booked up. January 2006 didn't work best b/c dd would have to miss at least one day of school for travel, so we decided on Sept. 2006, but didn't book yet.

My dh was looking again and some cabins had opened for Sept. 2005. We booked immediately. By this time it was already June/July, so we didn't have much time to wait. We got the Disney Visa and the planning video. Our dd loved the video and couldn't wait to go.

We had a Wonderful 4 day cruise. DD loved it and cried when it was over, even though we were driving to Disneyworld.

So here's the kicker...last night I took a pregnancy test and it's positive. My edd is September 9. While I love and trust our families immensely, there's no way I'd leave a 2 week old infant to go on a cruise. I probably wouldn't feel up to it anyway. I know we could have rescheduled, but I'm thinking pixie dust intervened and got us on an earlier cruise.

I guess it will be a couple of years before we cruise again. In the mean time, I'll have to relive the Wonder and Magic through these boards.

Congratulations! That is wonderful news, and even though you may have to wait a while to cruise, just think about how great it will be when you finally do get to go again!

Thank you for your good wishes. It's been a while, so I'm a bit nervous.

Let's see....<counting on fingers and toes>....Okay, this one is NOT a "little souvenir" from the cruise! :rotfl2:

Congrats and best wishes! It actually gives you more of an excuse to do the cruise instead of the parks while the baby is young.

:flower2: :flower2: :flower2: Awwww! Pixie dust flies when you least expect it!! Congrats!

Congratulations!!!

We're currently stuck in the same boat (pun intended). We currently have a reservation for September 2006 Double Dip we booked while on the Repo cruise. But we found out around thanksgiving that we're pregnant. In our case, the due date is July, which means the new little one wouldn't be old enough to join us so we're going to have to cancel. Of course even if the new little one was going to be 12 weeks old buy the start of our cruise, DW doesn't feel up to the task of attempting a cruise with a new born.

But in our case, we decided to book a 7-day stay in WDW for next month in place of the 7-day double dip. Just waiting for rates for fall of 2007 to determine if we cancel or try to transfer the reservations.

TiggerKing...that was quite funny. I didn't even think of that.

HooKooDooHu...congratulations and good luck to you and your family as well.

Congrats on your coming "new addition!" and I am glad fate was on your side for your earlier cruise. Isn't pixie dust wonderful? :love:

We also had a similar experience. Had booked our first cruise for late fall 2001. After 9/11, DH wasn't interested in taking a cruise. Booked a cruise again for Fall 2003 -- Got pregnant!! DD would have been 14 weeks old for our cruise, but I wasn't up for a cruise with a newborn so we cancelled again. Third time's the charm though. We booked a Mexico cruise for this past summer and had a fabulous time!!! I must admit, I felt pretty giddy when I finally walked onboard last June!! Up until that point I kept thinking something would come up and we would miss yet another cruise. Now we are waiting for 2008 to book our next cruise. DD's will be 14, 13 and 5 - should be fun for all.

We dealt with the opposite on our first cruise. I decided to surprise my wife with a Land/Sea cruise. She was pregnant at the time, but not due until March, so I booked a cruise for our anniversary that December, including airfare. I had read in the brochure about pregnancy restrictions, but I guess I didn't count very well, because when I got my confirmation, I realized we were beyond the limit after which DCL won't let you cruise! So it was a mad scramble with DCL and Orbitz to rebook cruise and airfare for a month earlier.

But it went well, DD was born that March and we rebooked on-board for a 7-day which we took when DD was about 11 months.

So things work out. Good luck with little ons to all of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter