• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The CP....The Good, the Bad, and the downright Ugly. ( Updated )

I haven't called in once on any of my programs

Joanna, that is amazing! I would bet that you may be one of very, very few CPs who have never called in!! That really says a lot about your work ethic and that you are a very responsible person. :thumbsup2

It's always great to read about how much you love your jobs at Disney. My daughter also had a great time during her CP and is still seasonal at her job ~~ great excuse to go back to Disney every few months :)

Joanna, that is amazing! I would bet that you may be one of very, very few CPs who have never called in!! That really says a lot about your work ethic and that you are a very responsible person. :thumbsup2

It's always great to read about how much you love your jobs at Disney. My daughter also had a great time during her CP and is still seasonal at her job ~~ great excuse to go back to Disney every few months :)

Awww, thanks a lot.:) I don't like calling in (unless it is an extreme emergency) because then I feel bad because someone else is going to have to take over for what I was supposed to do, and what if they were short handed? So that is why.

Just an added note about Cp being required for PI. Even for the PI roles that do not require CP, about 85% of those hired for PI have done CP. If two people applied and one had A's and never did CP, and the other had B's and C's and participated in CP, they will take the former CP (hypothetical example!!!). They like to have someone that has worked for their company.

Just an added note about Cp being required for PI. Even for the PI roles that do not require CP, about 85% of those hired for PI have done CP. If two people applied and one had A's and never did CP, and the other had B's and C's and participated in CP, they will take the former CP (hypothetical example!!!). They like to have someone that has worked for their company.

That's true, but anyone who hasn't been a CP, try not to be discouraged from applying!! A lot of the people that were around me, working as PI's (including myself) did not have CP experience! So it is possible!!

Thank you to all those offering their opinions, etc, on the CP. My daughter is thinking of applying in the fall and this info has been very, very informative if nothing else.

Not to be picky, but I think you may have meant latter. Former means the first choice, and latter means second choice.

Haha I actually meant former as in the sense of the person that was a former CP but I see your point. Sorry for the confusion!

The lessons learned are by far the best thing taken away from your internship. Working at the turnstiles at EPCOT I learned above all that some people just suck no matter what... such is life. I came away from my college program with a lot more patience, the motto that laughter is key, and an awesome reason to stay in college (6.25 an hour will never happen again).

During my college program I also found out that I actually don't hate kids... its the parents that I can't stand.

At the end of your college program you'll find out that you ended up doing two jobs... the simple job you joke and complain about with your friends, and the prestigious job that involved heavy interaction with a diverse group of thousands of people on a daily basis all while providing the outstanding guest service that has made the Disney name what is it... i.e. the job you end up putting on your resume and using in an interview.

As I said I will be applying for the Spring. I keep checking the website to see if they are accepting applications yet..... I kno its not until September, but I just cant wait I am soooooo excited! :yay:

So I was thinking of a few roles to apply for.... I was wondering if people could fill me in on their expirences with these to better narrow my decision.

1) Character attendent - i've heard mostly good things of this and it sounds exciting. I would like to be in the parks so this is good i think.

2) Hotels - i was thinking maybe the front desk because i am a tourism major so i do kno a bit about that, but idk because then i wouldnt get to be in the parks and see all the little kids, i love kids!

3) operations - i thought maybe this one cause it might be fun to work the rides, i just dont want to get stuck with anything crappy

4) character performer - i really, really would like to b cinderella. i've been told that i would be good at that. but i dont want to try out and get some charcter like mickey and b in some stuffy costume all day long

any information anyone could give me would really help! I am soooo stuck with my decision.:confused3 (i just kno that i DONT want merchandise, or food cuz i could do that here at home)

I also was curious about the hours too.... i am wondering what it is that i would be working (as in like the shift, hrs, and days of week).

Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it!!!!:thumbsup2

As I said I will be applying for the Spring. I keep checking the website to see if they are accepting applications yet..... I kno its not until September, but I just cant wait I am soooooo excited! :yay:

So I was thinking of a few roles to apply for.... I was wondering if people could fill me in on their expirences with these to better narrow my decision.

1) Character attendent - i've heard mostly good things of this and it sounds exciting. I would like to be in the parks so this is good i think.

2) Hotels - i was thinking maybe the front desk because i am a tourism major so i do kno a bit about that, but idk because then i wouldnt get to be in the parks and see all the little kids, i love kids!

3) operations - i thought maybe this one cause it might be fun to work the rides, i just dont want to get stuck with anything crappy

4) character performer - i really, really would like to b cinderella. i've been told that i would be good at that. but i dont want to try out and get some charcter like mickey and b in some stuffy costume all day long

any information anyone could give me would really help! I am soooo stuck with my decision.:confused3 (i just kno that i DONT want merchandise, or food cuz i could do that here at home)

I also was curious about the hours too.... i am wondering what it is that i would be working (as in like the shift, hrs, and days of week).

Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it!!!!:thumbsup2

Well, I wish you good luck when it comes time for applying. Here is my take on the roles:
1) I have done this, and it is soooooo much fun. You get to play with the characters, you get to work in all 4 parks. I love it.

2) Unfortunately I don't know much about the resort roles.

3) Operations is not just the rides. It also can be the ticket turnstiles and parking.

4) performer- Unfortunately, anyone who does face also has to do fur. So you would have to do both.

And the hours vary by the role/location. I have gone anywhere from closing in merchandise (aprox 5pm to 11, or something like that) to opening in attendant (something like 9 to 6) and a whole bunch in custodial.

Thanks for the posts. I'm leaving in just a little bit to do CareerStart (basically the same as CP), and this helped a lot to help me realize that this is a job (a hard job) and that I just need to do the best I can and focus on having fun for a few months. Thankfully I have had a couple of awful jobs in the past, so I know (hopefully) how to handle places like this.

Maybe I just need to keep my expectations very low, that way it will be better than I think.

Thanks!

-Christopher

Good luck on your CareerStart. The College Program can be very good to you if you take the right approach. Whatever job you get, take it and do your absolute best every single day. Try not to get caught up in all the workplace drama... the managers hate that. They'll respect you so much more if you just come to do your job. Make sure you always take the extra step to help out. Do whatever you have to to gain support. And take EVERY opportunity to network. If you want to do a PI or anything else in Disney, make those connections now and KEEP THEM. There won't be anyone there telling you to go introduce yourself to this person or set up an appointment to meet with that person. Make sure you do it. Disney is all about how hard you work and who you know. And always have fun! The guests can tell when you're faking it. Set goals for yourself for how many bad situations you will fix and how many times you will go out of your way to help someone. Do this stuff, and you'll love no matter what job you do. It can make even the most monotonous job fun. The job stays the same but the guests are always changing. Again, GOOD LUCK!!!!

Wow, well there certainly is a lot of negativity on this post. And if I listented to all of this before I went, I would have had a heart attack. No offense to whoever posted it- but I think it is downright wrong to say that the College Program hurts your chances to do well within TWDC. Let me tell you a bit about my experience.

I did my college program in the fall of 2004. IF I knew what an amazing experience it was, I would have done the advantage program. I worked in Operations at Space Mountain. I LOVED my job.

HOUSING

I stayed at Chatham Square in a 4 bedroom apartment. I had 7 other roomates (yes, seven) and it was an amazing experience. We learned about each other and the regional differences. Did I love every one of my roomies? No. But there was always someone there and something to do.

The complex was beautiful. I'm from NYC, so a place that has a pool, workout facility, clubhouse, etc. is top-rate. It was clean and the security was good. What they took from our paychecks for the apartment was reasonable.

I had friends in Vista and they had similar experiences. Yes, the apartments were older. But anyone who has stayed in student housing will appreciate the complexes.

TRANSPORTATION

I agree the bus system wasn't up to speed. I had a car down there so I really can't comment too much on the bus system. But let me say, if you have the ability to bring a car, do so. It will be convenient and you will have TONS of friends :)

JOB

Space Mountain was an amazing place to work. Good level of guest interaction, parade shifts, and air conditioned. CMs rarely leave here... in fact some of my fellow CPs even extended their programs to stay there. I worked 30-40 hours a week, which made me enough money to live on. I also had the opportunity to pick up extra shifts if I was low on dough.

OVERALL

You need to take the college program for what it's worth. It is an INTERNSHIP. We need to keep that in mind. For those of you who haven't done internships, I don't expect you to realize what that means. I did 3-4 internships during college and this was the ONLY one I got paid for. Yes, it's barely over minimum wage... but at least it's something. Yes, you are the bottom of the corporate ladder, but you have to start somewhere. Most interns at companies make photocopies and get coffee for their bosses. At Disney you could be operating a major attraction or assisting guests from around the world.

THE COLLEGE PROGRAM IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT

If you simply go to work, criticize everything, and don't experience all that the college program has to offer, you won't enjoy it. Go to the networking events, talk to salaried managers, take adavantage of the free classes at Disney University and go to the parks on your days off. If you go above and beyond your work description, it will be noticed. Trust me. You will move up the corporate ladder if you try hard, guaranteed.
And you will have the experience of a lifetime.

Disney has ruined me. Nothing in my life will ever be as good as my time at Disney World.

OVERALL

You need to take the college program for what it's worth. It is an INTERNSHIP. We need to keep that in mind. For those of you who haven't done internships, I don't expect you to realize what that means. I did 3-4 internships during college and this was the ONLY one I got paid for. Yes, it's barely over minimum wage... but at least it's something. Yes, you are the bottom of the corporate ladder, but you have to start somewhere. Most interns at companies make photocopies and get coffee for their bosses. At Disney you could be operating a major attraction or assisting guests from around the world.

THE COLLEGE PROGRAM IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT

If you simply go to work, criticize everything, and don't experience all that the college program has to offer, you won't enjoy it. Go to the networking events, talk to salaried managers, take adavantage of the free classes at Disney University and go to the parks on your days off. If you go above and beyond your work description, it will be noticed. Trust me. You will move up the corporate ladder if you try hard, guaranteed.
And you will have the experience of a lifetime.

Disney has ruined me. Nothing in my life will ever be as good as my time at Disney World.

:thumbsup2 Completely and totally agreed! Glad to hear that someone other than myself had an amazing experience!

I admittedly don't have much CP experience yet, but one thing I'd like to point out is about Quick-Service Food and Beverage, i.e. fast food. The thing to keep in mind is that you're working at WDW, with the gigantic number of people that that implies. Obviously not every guest on Disney property is going to try to eat at Cosmic Ray's all at the same time, but still: if you're going in expecting it to be like a shift at McDonald's, your brain is going to explode. There are quiet times, but when you're busy, you're BUSY AS HECK HOLY CRAP WHERE DO THEY ALL COME FROM AND WE JUST RAN OUT OF FRIES THREE TIMES IN TWO MINUTES. I imagine this sort of thing is why so many people quit--I'm not sure a normal fast food job would be enough to prepare you for what it's like. I've worked at a baseball stadium, and so far the work at All-Star Music is on a similar level. I imagine in-park locations would be busier. There's a special dining promotion coming up, though, and that might push things up further.

At least I don't have to wash dishes. Oh, wait, I do that at home...

Another thing to watch out for is weird sleep schedules. I'm working mornings at Intermission Food Court at All-Star Music, and my roommate is working nights at the big Disney store at Downtown Disney. He was still up last night when I woke up this morning. I don't know why I bring this up.

Oh, and yes, the bus system is unreliable. A whole bunch of people were late the other day because it never occurred to some bus driver that he might need to do something in the early morning. This included about a dozen Blizzard Beach lifeguards, so if you've gone there recently and found whatever they do when they don't have enough lifeguards, that's probably why. Then again, sometimes they run like clockwork. The special-request shuttles are pretty reliable, so far... it's the normal bus routes that run on bizarro time.

So here is my input. I did the college program spring 07.

HOUSING

All in all, I liked living at Chatham. I was in a 3-bedroom, which I totally recommend! You pay the same price as a 4-bedroom, but have 6 people as opposed to 8. You'll quickly realize that you are BUSY and it's fun to have a bunch of roommates- so if you are off one random morning, and another roommate is, you can say "want to go to see fantasmic tonight?" and you can just spend time together.:thumbsup2 The rules are SUPER strict, and frustrating if you have friends who come to visit from out of town- because they can not spend the night! If you're used to the freedom of college, and feeling like a responsible adult, this will be a big step back. It's like mom and dad are watching over you again, and I found it a bit over the top.

WORKING

HERE IS MY #1 TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you get to Disney, and are not happy with your job.... get out of it however you can!!!!! I signed up for Operations (hoping to work a ride, or parade anywhere) and ended up working at Pleasure Island. Everyone thinks it sounds like fun, but pretty much when everyone is out partying, you are dealing with obnoxious drunk people. The day that I received my job assignment, I knew I wanted out. But they (College Program people) told me to stay, so I finished my training. They told me to wait 30 days, and I did. I always did my job to the best of my ability (was commended by my managers for my guest service) but I was MISERABLE almost the entire time. I talked to my managers, who told me to talk to Downtown Disney supervisors, etc. It was basically a couple months of being tossed around by people who did not know how to help me. Toward the end, I finally found out that a girl I was initially working with (whom I thought had left) had complained, cried, pissed and moaned so much that they finally moved her- into the Magic Kingdom working on one of the Mountains.

Disney is desperate for people...THEY WANT TO KEEP YOU THERE! I was afraid that if I told them that I would leave the program if they didn't move me to a different job, they might say no...and I wanted to say. But I learned that they want you to stay! So try out your job...but after a month, if you are seriously miserable (but doing good work) get out of there! The college program now has someone who works on college program retention, so she should be able to help you.

There are many great things about the program...but having a job you have to go to almost every day can give you bad feelings toward the program, your coworkers, and the company! Find something you like, and have a great time! :yay: :yay: :yay:

My nephew just started the CP it will be 2 weeks on 9-10 and he is just so unhappy :sad2: He is in food services and they have him cleaning out the garbage dumpsters :sad1: for 2 days now and he wants to come home already. We keep telling him that he has to give it a least a month, and try to enjoy his time off by exploring all that Disney has to offer. Hopefully it will start getting easier for him, time will tell.

:santa: BWV 1-Bedroom 12-4 to 12-14 (Hoping to see DN if he is still there)

My nephew just started the CP it will be 2 weeks on 9-10 and he is just so unhappy :sad2: He is in food services and they have him cleaning out the garbage dumpsters :sad1: for 2 days now and he wants to come home already. We keep telling him that he has to give it a least a month, and try to enjoy his time off by exploring all that Disney has to offer. Hopefully it will start getting easier for him, time will tell.

:santa: BWV 1-Bedroom 12-4 to 12-14 (Hoping to see DN if he is still there)

I hate to sound cynical, because I am truly sorry that your nephew is having a rough time. :sad1: However...what did he expect? Cleaning and working with trash is a basic aspect of any food service job, anywhere. If he enjoys his job otherwise, then I agree with your advice to wait a month, as he'll probably get more desirable responsibilities once he's there a little longer. If not, then he should follow FSUDisneyGirl's advice and change jobs! As long as he is persistent in talking to managers, College Program representatives, etc... he should be able to move relatively quickly and easily.

In any case, please let him know that self-termination should be an absolute last resort. What if he wants to apply to Disney (or ABC/ESPN/any other Disney-owned company) later in life? It won't make him look very good to say that he quit at his first Disney job because he didn't like cleaning out trash cans...

Hope everything works out! :pixiedust:

Thats what we keep telling him, I think alot of it is that he is homesick and is looking for any reason to get on his parents last nerve and he is doing a good job of that, but when the rest of the family talkes to him he is completly different with us. And yes he is talking to his manager, etc. we keep telling him that this is a great oppertunity for him and it will get better. I only wish years ago when I was in college they had this program, I would have loved to take advantage of this.

Do you have any say at all in the job you get? Can you request a certain job?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter