The Conservative Thread-No Political debates please!

lyeag said:
Unless a person is mentally or physically unable to work, the government should limit how much "help" they give to a person or family. ( I think children deserve medical care- just making sure any lurking Libs think I am heartless) I get tired of seeing people drive nice cars, buy steaks and name brand everything and then never seem to have a job, manage to get food assistance, and have free medical. I know not everyone getting government help does this, but there are PLENTY of people out there whose attitude is "If I can get away with it, I am going to do it.

I so totally agree with this.

I have held a job every day of my life since I went between babysitting and paper routes at the age of 12. I had my first "real" job at 15 working for a taxi cab company doing filing and writing down entries into a data book. Since then, the longest stretch I have ever gone without working was maybe 3 months in my summer between high school and college.

I was raised and taught that if you want things, you work for them. I am not rich by any means. SO and I have a combined income that is average for one income homes in this area. But we survive. We live within our means. We live frugally. We conserve energy. We drive a sensible car. We clip coupons. Our only splurge is our vacations.

Our town has a high popularion of non english speaking people. It makes my blood boil when I see them in the grocery store buying tons of very good food with their government assistance (with their multiple children in tow). Meanwhile, I'm sitting there buying the cheapest stuff I can, clipping coupons and basically being frugal. Why should *I* be paying for some irresponsible person's 5 course name brand meals when I am sitting there buying ziti because it's on sale this week?? I know it sounds mean, but honestly, it makes me sick. I go to this grocery store at least once a week, and I have never been behind a person who did not speak english paying with anything other than government assistance. Maybe they are learning? But I doubt it. Then I see them leave the parking lot in their nice cars. They're always wearing what look like expensive clothes and jewelry too.

We recently had a family in our apartment who was evicted. They were the lowest of the low. Both able bodied adults were not working. It was a mom in her early 40's who had 4 children by 4 different men. The last one's dad lived there as well. They were just gross. They routinely left trash everywhere including the front porch that we shared, they threw cigarette butts all over the yard. They frequently made comments about how they were "playing the government" by not working. It took my landlord over 6 months to get them out after they stopped paying rent. Then, not only did the ultra liberal MA court tell them that they did not have to pay the back rent , they also sided WITH the scummy people and told my landlord he owed them several thousand dollars for health problems in one of the kids due to mold. (The mold was never an issue until they recived the eviction notice).

They had destroyed the house. Aside from the filth left on the porch (baby diapers thrown everywhere, not in bags) they ruined tiles, rugs, broke walls and doors. My landlord had to have the place completely re-done. It cost him a fortune. My friends live there now and it's still having some final work done.

Living with these scummy people woke me up. Before that, I was a far more liberal "I don't mind where my tax dollars go " type of person. But between the family in my building and the scores of immigrants in my town who I am paying for...no more. I feel sorry for the children, but how much of my money should these people be allowed to take???

YellowCake4Sale said:
Shouldn't you be on your way to Iraq by now? :teeth:
With a name like YellowCake4Sale he would probably be en route for Iran or North Korea.

Quick question. I read somewhere last year that steps were being taken to amend the "born in the USA" requirement to run for President and replace it with a "US citizen for at least 20 years" hurdle.
Is that likely to happen?

ford family

HomeSweetDisney said:
Plus, being 19, most of my peers are pretty liberal. It's nice talking to people, whether they are my age or not, that are conservative :)

Being in a creative field in MA, I am totally out of place in my day to day life. And I'm a fairly moderate conservative. :)

EsmeraldaX said:
I so totally agree with this.

I have held a job every day of my life since I went between babysitting and paper routes at the age of 12. I had my first "real" job at 15 working for a taxi cab company doing filing and writing down entries into a data book. Since then, the longest stretch I have ever gone without working was maybe 3 months in my summer between high school and college.

I was raised and taught that if you want things, you work for them. I am not rich by any means. SO and I have a combined income that is average for one income homes in this area. But we survive. We live within our means. We live frugally. We conserve energy. We drive a sensible car. We clip coupons. Our only splurge is our vacations.

Our town has a high popularion of non english speaking people. It makes my blood boil when I see them in the grocery store buying tons of very good food with their government assistance (with their multiple children in tow). Meanwhile, I'm sitting there buying the cheapest stuff I can, clipping coupons and basically being frugal. Why should *I* be paying for some irresponsible person's 5 course name brand meals when I am sitting there buying ziti because it's on sale this week?? I know it sounds mean, but honestly, it makes me sick. I go to this grocery store at least once a week, and I have never been behind a person who did not speak english paying with anything other than government assistance. Maybe they are learning? But I doubt it.

We recently had a family in our apartment who was evicted. They were the lowest of the low. Both able bodied adults were not working. It was a mom in her early 40's who had 4 children by 4 different men. The last one's dad lived there as well. They were just gross. They routinely left trash everywhere including the front porch that we shared, they threw cigarette butts all over the yard. They frequently made comments about how they were "playing the government" by not working. It took my landlord over 6 months to get them out after they stopped paying rent. Then, not only did the ultra liberal MA court tell them that they did not have to pay the back rent , they also sided WITH the scummy people and told my landlord he owed them several thousand dollars for health problems in one of the kids due to mold. (The mold was never an issue until they recived the eviction notice).

They had destroyed the house. Aside from the filth left on the porch (baby diapers thrown everywhere, not in bags) they ruined tiles, rugs, broke walls and doors. My landlord had to have the place completely re-done. It cost him a fortune. My friends live there now and it's still having some final work done.

Living with these scummy people woke me up. Before that, I was a far more liberal "I don't mind where my tax dollars go " type of person. But between the family in my building and the scores of immigrants in my town who I am paying for...no more. I feel sorry for the children, but how much of my money should these people be allowed to take???

I know what you mean! I lived in a part of NC for 4 years where a large portion of the people were on food stamps or getting some kind of gov't assistance. I dealt with their kids everyday at my high school and I can't tell you how frustrating it was. The kids would brag about the fact that they were getting food stamps and then their parents would use the extra money they were getting to buy expensive cars and clothes...yet they were living in trailer parks! Most of the kids I knew who's families were "poor" wore shoes that cost more than my entire outfit put together and jackets or other items of clothing that cost a LOT of money. It sickens me how many people take advantage of the system. And this is what the kids of these people are being taught and I'm sure most of them will go on to abuse it the same way :sad2:

EsmeraldaX said:
Good point Lisa. I almost replied again...

I saw an intervention was in order ;)

How ick about that family that lived near you. It is terrible to abuse the system like that--and what's sad is they aren't the only ones to do it.

The ones that try to help themselves earn my respect--the ones that sit lazy and do nothing while it's handed to them on a platter really make my stomach turn :sad2:

As far as '08...while Guiliani seems a pretty nice guy...he doesn't seem to be filling his resume up with anything other than speaking engagements...and the lib spin on it will probably be that he will be exploiting 9/11. So unless he finds a new leadership position he won't have much to stand on in a heated contest I'm afraid.

Now wouldn't it be most impressive to have Condi step forward and run?

I can't wait as this time around we didn't do much actively with having two small children....but next election....I am so in the ring!!! Signs in the yard...whole nine yards!

That way when I go to the victory party again--I'll feel like I had a personal hand in the victory instead of just observing all the fun.

ETA: stated something as fact when it was my opinion and didn't want to encourage the liberal lurkers....so reworded ;)

Personal responsibility is one of the main reasons I am a conservative. I also cannot believe the elitism of liberalism! "I know better than you do what is good for you." People just don't realize how dangerous and what a slippery slope that is.

About people abusing the system - my MIL and I heard a lady referring to her baby (she was pregnant) as "another check" the other day at our produce house. I was so mad I wanted to say something to her but I didn't. I wanted to just walk up to her and offer to write her a check since that's essentially what I'll be doing when DH and I pay our taxes next week anyway.

I was so happy to return to my computer from classes and find that this thread was started!! I was going to start it myself it need be! But YAY! Its here!
I am a fairly moderate, but I support my country and my President and when our country is just now at the beginning of a term and people are already talking about how our country is going to go downhill these next years and the democrats are "plotting" ways to overtake republicans it is very disconcerning. Just like after 9/11, United we stand, divided we fall. Sadly, I think we are falling again.
I like to read the various liberal posts, and found myself getting very uneasy at some posts, but used my self control and said nothing. Its just hard to here people going on and on about how horrible it is to be under a republican government and how wonderful it was when clinton was in office... well a few tidbits...Just about 6 years ago this country was near the end of a democratic presidents term. So why all the griping now? I dont recall people freaking out as much when Clinton was in office. Someone even said there were no wars while he was in office... not according to my memory. Also, its interesting to me that Clintons highest approval rating ever came at the height of his "sexal relations" scandel. Interesting. We should be so proud ( :scared: ) Ok, I think I am good for now. But once again, I am soooo happy this thread is here. Hurrah!

- Ok I just thought of something else then I'll take a breather... Prior to 9/11 the thought of terrorism was NOT on everyones mind. I am sure that if we searched hard enough we could find instances during prior Presidents terms that the possibilty of an attack was there, but nothing was done. So to all those who think the President knew, but "didnt care" back off. I can almost guarantee you would have thought "yeah right, like they really have the means and skill to carry out something like that." Ok, Im done. :teeth:

Lisa loves Pooh said:
How ick about that family that lived near you. It is terrible to abuse the system like that--and what's sad is they aren't the only ones to do it.

The ones that try to help themselves earn my respect--the ones that sit lazy and do nothing while it's handed to them on a platter really make my stomach turn :sad2:

As far as '08...while Guiliani seems a pretty nice guy...he doesn't seem to be filling his resume up with anything other than speaking engagements...and the lib spin on it will probably be that he will be exploiting 9/11. So unless he finds a new leadership position he won't have much to stand on in a heated contest I'm afraid.

Now wouldn't it be most impressive to have Condi step forward and run?

I can't wait as this time around we didn't do much actively with having two small children....but next election....I am so in the ring!!! Signs in the yard...whole nine yards!

That way when I go to the victory party again--I'll feel like I had a personal hand in the victory instead of just observing all the fun.

ETA: stated something as fact when it was my opinion and didn't want to encourage the liberal lurkers....so reworded ;)

I totally agree about respecting the people who try and move ahead in life. But yeah, the people like the family that lived in our building...ick. I felt so bad for their kids.

I would love to see Condi run, but I don't know. As much as I'd love to see a female president, an African American female president at that, I don't know if a woman would have as much chance, sadly. :( Maybe as VP? Us gals have got to get our foot in the door somehow. If it means being VP first, so be it.

We did not do that much this time. I tried putting up a few things at my workplace and was told to take them down (everyone's Bush bashing stickers and signs are fine though, apparently :rolleyes: ). Chris, my SO, had talked about looking into being a delegate for the republicans in 2008. But neither of us had any idea how to go about him doing that.

leighe said:
About people abusing the system - my MIL and I heard a lady referring to her baby (she was pregnant) as "another check" the other day at our produce house. I was so mad I wanted to say something to her but I didn't. I wanted to just walk up to her and offer to write her a check since that's essentially what I'll be doing when DH and I pay our taxes next week anyway.

Sickening. :sad2:

Popping in to say "Hi" :wave: Glad the thread was started.

I don't agree with everything Bush does, but he was certainly the best choice in the last 2 elections. I would LOVE to see a McCain/Guiliani ticket in 2008. I hope the Dems run Hillary. :rolleyes1

KtGCheeks said:
I like to read the various liberal posts, and found myself getting very uneasy at some posts, but used my self control and said nothing. Its just hard to here people going on and on about how horrible it is to be under a republican government and how wonderful it was when clinton was in office... well a few tidbits...Just about 6 years ago this country was near the end of a democratic presidents term. So why all the griping now? I dont recall people freaking out as much when Clinton was in office. Someone even said there were no wars while he was in office... not according to my memory. Also, its interesting to me that Clintons highest approval rating ever came at the height of his "sexal relations" scandel. Interesting. We should be so proud ( :scared: ) Ok, I think I am good for now. But once again, I am soooo happy this thread is here. Hurrah!

If memory serves (I do have a good one)--it stemmed to a little legal battle in 2000 in the state of Florida over the elections.

We've had elections since 1776....and this was the first time that disenfranchisement became the rallying cry behind why an election was lost. No--it was a bunch of idiots--and they forget that in the main counties in question---dems signed off on the results. You have the right to vote--but you do not have the right to be an idiot, fill out the ballot incorrectly and still have your vote count--b/c unless a crystal ball becomes the new election technology--how the heck is someone going to know if a double punch means candidate A or B. And as far as the --- but it's a _____ county, so and so could have not possibly won in that county. Last time I checked it was the ballots that counted and not the party affiliation of the voter registration roles that determine who gets elected.

There was no whining before b/c it was never necessary. We've finally realized that exit polls don't mean squat and just b/c your rep over hear with a PhD in air hockey says you won....he/she isn't the supervisor of elections and cannot declare your victory.

Lastly--I think the Inaugurations will be the permanent victory parties--b/c with all the split decisions--it seems we are long gone from the days of landslide victories.

Esmerelda--as far as being a delegate....you might do well by contacting your state party chair person and just putting in feelers for how that works. That is what I did for the Inauguaration when I wanted to go--researched it ahead of time...and got my name in as one of the first. I called my representative's office--and she actually had to find a piece of paper to start a list...b/c I called first thing Wednesday morning. Basically what I'm saying is now is the time to hunt down that information on the hows and whats--so when it gets near, you'll know where to spend your energies on getting those delegate credentials :)

HomeSweetDisney said:
hehe I hope they run Hilary too. I need a good laugh ;)

I wouldn't as then we would be yet again forced to pick a lesser evil, which I hated doing this election :sad2:

Just checking in.... :wave:

Did anyone else hear Teddy Kennedy's response when asked about the plan that government workers are on instead of Social Security? He was pretty put out... and his response was something to the effect of...

That plan is meant to be a SUPPLEMENT to retirement... ?!?! WTH?!?!

That is EXACTLY what Social Security is supposed to be... sheesh...

As to who should run in '08.. I think it's hard to say.. I love the idea of Condi running... but like others wonder if a woman could win... I still think a few more years need to pass.... I don't care for McCain - I think he's too wishy washy... he SOUNDS firm, but when I listen to what he's saying he flip flops worse than the master flipper Kerry. SO - not sure who.

While some of you are identifying yourselves as moderate - I pretty much lean right in most things.

Glad this thread was started!! I haven't even looked at the liberal thread.. laugh... I knew I'd probably get in trouble.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

pamlet said:

Did anyone else hear Teddy Kennedy's response when asked about the plan that government workers are on instead of Social Security? He was pretty put out... and his response was something to the effect of...

As to who should run in '08.. I think it's hard to say.. I love the idea of Condi running... but like others wonder if a woman could win... I still think a few more years need to pass.... I don't care for McCain - I think he's too wishy washy... he SOUNDS firm, but when I listen to what he's saying he flip flops worse than the master flipper Kerry. SO - not sure who.

While some of you are identifying yourselves as moderate - I pretty much lean right in most things.

Glad this thread was started!! I haven't even looked at the liberal thread.. laugh... I knew I'd probably get in trouble.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ted Kennedy... :crazy:

pamlet said:

I like McCain but you're right, he can be a bit wishy washy. And :wave: to a fellow Texan! I'm actually in San Antonio. How far outside SA are you?

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Esmerelda--as far as being a delegate....you might do well by contacting your state party chair person and just putting in feelers for how that works. That is what I did for the Inauguaration when I wanted to go--researched it ahead of time...and got my name in as one of the first. I called my representative's office--and she actually had to find a piece of paper to start a list...b/c I called first thing Wednesday morning. Basically what I'm saying is now is the time to hunt down that information on the hows and whats--so when it gets near, you'll know where to spend your energies on getting those delegate credentials :)

Thanks. I will let Chris know. :) I don't know if I have it in me to be a delegate but he definately does and I know he's very interested...

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter