The Conservative Thread: Back to Basics. Pass the Lasagna and Have a Flower!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:teeth: thank you.

how 'bout "liberal with food, conservative with thought"
I love this. It's perfect!!!

Oh my! Um, is that some sort of chocolate peanut butter ball?? I'd like to make something like that for Christmas time.

I'm so happy. The Santa Clause will be airing tonight on the Disney channel. :woohoo: I love that movie and the two after it.
Oh, I like all of those thread titles, too.:thumbsup2
I love those movies too. Maybe I'll watch them with you while I'm cleaning up the basement.

Painting the kitchen. :scared: :eek: :faint:

It's taken me the WHOLE week, every day after work. Taking the cupboard doors down, removing the hardware then painting. I've been up til midnight every night this week. Boy am I glad it's over. :banana:

I'll post a pic when my camera is done charging.
I'm painting too - well, DH is - we're getting the bedroom done. I'm organizing the basement while he puts the first coat on the bedroom. I'll finish up the painting after I'm done. I'm a little more anal than he is. :) Can't wait to see your pictures!

Gotta get to work!

Yes, did you hear that when she has turkey on Thanksgiving, the turkey she serves is…dead! (or, as the New York Times said today, "executed"). Imagine that. Some folks eat dead turkeys, and apparently all of the good people who eat them live are quite upset about this. :rotfl:

:rotfl:

:laughing: :thumbsup2

Yes it is, and they are outrageous...and I have a recipe. Want it?

Thank you! I would love the recipe. :goodvibes This year I promised myself that I would bake some goodies. It's been awhile since I baked at Christmas time.

Way OT...

(but hope somebody can help...)

Any suggestions for test prep for the SAT's?

My second oldest took it last month, and he did okay, but he would like to raise his scores.

He wants to study for it, but I'm not sure what is the best way.
He did good in critical reading, but not as well as he was hoping in math and writing.

We homeschool, so we won't get any help from anyone at high school.

Thanks for any ideas, suggestions, etc. :goodvibes

Here's a cool database we have at our library - and it's free to those out of state --

http://www.learnatest.com/LearningE...hislibrary.org/libcat/librarywebdatabases.htm

You just create a username/password then go to the practice test you want. They're timed, too - and if you can't finish one, you can stop the timer and go back to it. Pretty neat.

Looking out on the CB today, I'm wondering who some of those folks will turn their hate to when GWB is gone. Does Bush Derangement Syndrome have a shelf life? What in the world will happen to those folks when a survey comes out in 10 years or so saying Bush is one of the best presidents of all time (he kept us safe from terrorist attacks; Obama is looking at keeping most of Bush's terrorism policies…). I was around when the left and the media was crowing that Ronald Reagan's presidency was the "worst evah!" And today? He's considered among the top 10 presidents we've ever had. I think GWB will be up there, too, as history looks at him and we learn more and more about what a truly dangerous world he kept us safe from.

My money goes for SP, too - after all, she WAS on the campaign trail for nine whole weeks - that's plenty of time for her to screw up the entire world!

And here she is - dashing all the illusions that we were eating LIVE turkeys all those years - yep, she is the source of all evil, pretty much.

Although I do agree that the left will continue to use GWB as a punching bag for a good long time, especially since we've learned that they [according to Zogby] haven't figured out that THEY have been in charge for the past 2 years.

Oh, I know that, but if Obama screws up, the American people aren't going to buy "It's Bush's fault," particularly since the dems have controlled Congress since '06. After 1/20/09, it's ALL them all the time. Sink or swim. We'll see…

I was talking to my MIL and FIL the other day about how bad this Congress and Speaker Pelosi is. While my FIL agreed, my MIL says that it will all change when the Dem's take over in January. I figured that she was talking about BO, but she thinks that Pelosi is a Republican and that the Dem's will take over control in January. She would not listen to any reason about the fact that the Dem's have been in control for two years. In her world they weren't and all this mess is 100% the fault of the Republicans and their speaker of the house.

Now they are lifelong Dem's that vote Dem no matter what. She watches the local and national news each night. Reads the paper each morning and Time and Newsweek each and every week. Even with all this info getting to her she still thinks that the Dem's don't control Congress right now!

I can't imagine how she has been able to function all these years with so little brain!:rotfl:

Hey everybody... Whew! :scared: I just got back from a whole day of Christmas shopping with DW. The kids are sleeping over with my folks, :banana: so this was one of those rare days to go buy stuff without curious little eyes around. :santa:

First thing, the economy around here must be booming. Everywhere we went shoppers were thick, all pushing buggies loaded with goodies. I waited 30 minutes for a table at Cracker Barrel. Linens and Things probably would have gotten in trouble with the fire marshall there were so many people in there! :scared1:

OT question: Anybody know anything about skateboards? For the life of me I can't figure the difference between the plain one Target sells for $10 and the one with Tony Hawk's name on it for $50. :confused3

I'm assuming Michigan lost. I've been at hockey all afternoon!

*trying to find the state/pennstate game right now* GO GREEN GO WHITE!

How old are your kids? If they're young.. go for the ten dollar skateboard!
I like the liberal with food/conservative with thoughts

What do you do ith the oil after you deep fry the kitty?

U of M's loss... *making assumption here becuase they, well they suck this year* is Bush's fault!

Get your terminology right. It's a "Jesusy" Christian racist!:lmao:

THANK YOU!!! I've been out puttin' up my Jesusy, Holy Family. I just had to leave the donkey up this year...couldn't stand to look at him. I guess, I'm just bitter;)

As far as the new thread.....do we go "positive" or with the usual "humor"?:rotfl2:

Oh, and we eat dead turkeys,too.

THANK YOU!!! I've been out puttin' up my Jesusy, Holy Family. I just had to leave the donkey up this year...couldn't stand to look at him. I guess, I'm just bitter;)

As far as the new thread.....do we go "positive" or with the usual "humor"?:rotfl2:

:rotfl2:

Thought you guys would like this:

On Sept. 16, Rep. Frank R. Wolf, R-Va., introduced the following essay into the Congressional Record. Written by Mitchell L. Hubbard of Winchester, Va., it tells of his son's experiences while deployed to Iraq.

His son's story should make us all think about our armed forces, as well as the police and first responders, who risk so much to serve us every day, Wolf said.

Hubbard's essay follows:

Whatever your political take on the war in Iraq, nothing can alter it more than having a loved one in the midst of it. Nor is anyone's current perspective balanced until they hear at least some things from a soldier's point of view.

My wife and I learned these truths when our son, a 2004 Handley graduate, decided to join the Army in 2006. His reasoning was simple: he wasn't comfortable knowing that thousands of others his age were sacrificing their own freedoms to protect his. When he signed up to join those thousands, it changed our perspective as well.

Up to that point, it had always been other people's sons and daughters doing the fighting. Now it would be our own child. Naturally, no one wants their child to volunteer to go in harm's way for freedom's sake. It was something of a conviction, though, when my wife and I had to ask ourselves why it shouldn't be our own son in the Middle East, why we should be spared the rituals of anxiety, prayer, hope and waiting that tens of thousands of other families over here have already endured.

In early June, we flew to Fort Hood, Texas, to see our son deploy for a 15-month tour in Iraq. Again, one's perspective is limited until one attends a deploying ceremony for a unit of soldiers. Spouses, children, parents, siblings and friends, all crowding a gym, all clinging closely to their treasures in uniform, accompanied by flags, prayers, cheers and tears. Our son had joined a band of brothers. My wife and I had joined the band of others who would be waiting at home. Both those going, and those left behind, carry the war on terror in a personal way.

Still, those of us left behind need to see something of what our soldiers see, and not only what is offered us in the news. To that end, here is one story our son, Luke, shared with us by phone that must be shared with anyone who claims an interest in what our soldiers are doing in the Middle East.

Stationed outside a city on the Tigris River, Luke had accompanied his colonel into town as part of a security team, while the colonel spoke with a local sheik. While standing guard, Luke noticed a woman approaching from behind and cautiously turned in her direction, his rifle at the ready.

An interpreter told our son it was OK the woman just wanted to touch a soldier. Still uneasy, Luke stood still while the woman reached out her hand and touched his face, tears in her eyes.

Looking to the interpreter for meaning, our son was told that the woman simply wanted to touch the face of grace. It seems this trembling woman, like most of the people in her town, looked upon our soldiers as angels of grace, sent by God to protect her from the violence and oppression her people had come to know up to then. Learning this, our son squeezed and kissed the woman's hand, and she left, weeping.

The face of grace. How many of us, safe at home debating the politics of the war on terror, have ever seen our soldiers in such a light? How many of us have even read such an uplifting newspaper account of our soldiers?

To be sure, our soldiers are not virtuous simply by being soldiers. At home in their civvies they are as un-angelic as the rest of us. Yet when they voluntarily get into full battle rattle (as they call their battle gear) in a hot and hostile land, their job is both protective and sacrificial as angelic a purpose as humans can take on.

People like this woman, having suffered years of oppression and fear, have eyes and a heart to see this, and the desire to touch the face of grace. Do we have the ability to see our soldiers in the same way and not merely our soldiers: Can we see the face of grace in the police who protect us in every town, day and night? Or in the fire and rescue teams who are soldiers in their own right?

My wife and I obviously pray that our son and his band of brothers will come safely home to their personal band of others. After listening to our son's experience, though, we have added the prayer that Americans in every community will be given the eyes and heart to see the Face of Grace in all who protect our lives and freedoms especially in soldiers like our son.

Put the donkey in the "upstairs" you know, the hayloft *kids always called it the upstairs. Every year someone puts the animals in the top... but atleast its better than pokemon in there!

Lovely essay. And it's true.

The difference between the $10 target and $50 Tony Hawk? If you buy the target Tony Hawk doesn't get an extra $40. :rotfl:
Seriously, I don't know. I've never even been on a skateboard.

Thought you guys would like this:

That essay was fabulous. You know, my brother did two tours in Iraq with the U.S. Army. He went in immediately after Baghdad fell, and again two years later, each time for a year. He told me that each time they went into a new town, the first thing they did was set up a dental and a medical clinic, and started seeing patients — any locals who needed medical or dental care. He said these Iraqis would pour in with abscessed teeth, infected cuts, broken bones that hadn't healed. Under the Saddam regime, most people were receiving absolutely no medical or dental care. None. At. All.

He said when the Army dentists would just pull an abscessed tooth and give some antibiotics, the people would come back in a couple of days and touch the dentists and other soldiers and say something to them over and over. They eventually learned that they were saying that they were angels, that they had taken away the pain these people had suffered for years and years. They felt reborn! They could not believe they had been delivered from their suffering, and they were certain the U.S. soldiers were angels.

That's why whenever I hear some idiot say "The Iraqis never wanted us there. We had no right," I get so frustrated. Can't these people get past their hatred of Bush long enough to celebrate the deliverance of 25 million people from bondage and misery and pain and suffering and abuse and neglect?

In fact, I read the other day that more Iraqis died during Clinton's tenure than during Bush's, but they died at the hands of a vicious tyrant, so I guess it's just not worth reporting. When did freeing the enslaved become politically incorrect? Because a Republican president did it? Have we really come to this, that people must remain in violent bondage, beaten and raped as a matter of its government policy, and we have to somehow accept rationalizations for that because a Republican must never get credit for saving them? It's ridiculous. I don't know how some people sleep at night.

My FIL served in Iraq. He came back with pictures of so many Iraqis giving soldiers hugs, kisses, you name it. We've never believed the "they don't want us there" crap the libs spew. The Iraqis say differently. They only ones who don't want us there are terrorists.

Oh great! Just spit MGD 64 on my laptop! That is flippin hilarious!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

Hey, you guys were supposed to STOP ME from posting on the CB. I got into a debate kind of thing with a complete moron. Now I have to take a shower or something. I don't want to know such idiots exist in the world. OK, I'm going to tell myself it was some fat, zitty, 16-year-old in his mom's basement all hepped up on Dr. Pepper and that green pistachio salad you make with Cool Whip. OK, I feel better now. And I'm NOT going back out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter