The Conservative Thread: Back to Basics. Pass the Lasagna and Have a Flower!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was the movie? The kids want to see it...

It was cute. My 8 year old loved it but my wife and I thought it was just okay. It had some really funny parts and some slow parts that weren't that funny. It was like they were trying too hard and were piecing together a Bunch of smaller comedy bits. It was worth seeing but wasn't as good as the first one.

I'm just keeping those of you who are interested in Governor Palin up-to-date...

Proud parents
By Michael Rovito
Frontiersman

WASILLA — Chuck and Sally Heath have a bit of work cut out for them now that they’re back in Alaska after joining the campaign trail with their daughter, Gov. Sarah Palin, in its final days.

In a room just off the kitchen in the Heaths’ well-decorated home sits hundreds of letters from Palin’s fans and supporters. Box upon box, stuffed with letters from all over the country are waiting to be read.

They’ll answer the ones they can, the Heaths said, and pass on well-wishes that land in their mailbox.

And so it goes for the Heaths, who just over two months ago had no idea how their world was about to change. That was until Aug. 29, when Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain introduced Palin in Dayton, Ohio, as his running mate.

The weeks following that day are now a blur, the Heaths said Thursday, and even though the presidential contest didn’t go the way they’d hoped, there’s a silver lining to Palin being back home in Alaska.

“On the other hand, we need her here,” Chuck Heath said.

Sitting in their living room on an overcast afternoon, the Heaths reflected on the journey their family took when Palin was plucked from political obscurity to shake up the race for president.

Memories flashed back to the Republican National Convention, when Palin gave the speech that introduced her to the world.

Sitting in the audience among ex-prisoners of war supporting McCain, and with Palin’s own family looking on, Chuck and Sally Heath watched their daughter give a nearly hour long speech making for explosive energy in the arena.

“I was thinking ‘can this be real?’” Chuck said. “She’s always my little girl and here she is on the national stage.”

From that day forward Palin was in near constant campaign mode, traveling the country and holding rallies that often attracted thousands of people.

Riding buses and planes, she stopped in big cities and small towns, often moving many supporters to tears as she shook hands along rope lines and signed autographs for excited voters.

But Palin soon faced what many have called a harsh press. Newspapers, cable news shows and bloggers began to level criticism, often without ever meeting Palin in person.

Sally said it’s one of the aspects of campaigning that shocked her.

“Many people had preconceived notions.”

She added a trend began to appear when critics would cite something they read on a blog and wouldn’t back it up with research, simply jumping to conclusions without knowing the full story.

Reporters from Outside did a great deal of digging on Palin after she hit the national scene. Inundating Wasilla, many writers left no rock unturned in their quest to find something on the Republican party’s vice presidential candidate.

Chuck said the liquor store clerk at Fred Meyers told him some reporters had stopped by to ask what kind of alcohol, and how much of it, Palin buys.

Even with the tug-o’-war between the candidates and the press, Sally said the good trumped the bad during the past two months. Both said they cherish many of the people they met along the way.

The Heaths even had positive reviews for Saturday Night Live actor Tina Fey’s portrayal of Palin, and said much of the imitation was done in good fun.

“People forget, four years ago she (Palin) dressed as Tina Fey for Halloween,” Chuck said with a laugh.

As for the running joke about being able to see Russia from Alaska, he’s got a picture of himself on Little Diomede to prove it, with Big Diomede — aka Russia — clearly visible in the background.

The chance to be on the campaign trail with Palin also gave the Heaths a rare opportunity to see the politicians with their guards down.

After Palin’s debate with Democratic vice-presidential candidate Joe Biden, Chuck spoke to him on stage about Alaska.

“He was very congenial and friendly,” he said.

Sally noticed the rapid change in demeanor when politics is taken out of the equation.

“Funny how quick it changes,” she said. “Then everyone is nice.”

Nice feelings seemed to be in abundance when the Heaths met with supporters of their daughter. Sally said, as a mother, listening to people brag about her daughter never got old.

The two-month long experience also supported what Palin’s parents said they already knew about her: She approaches a challenge with ambition and energy that doesn’t seem to fade.

“Throughout her childhood she was so strong-willed and ambitious,” Chuck said.

Even as the campaign wound down to the final days, the Heaths point out Palin never lost that enthusiastic edge she kept for two straight months.

After her ticket lost to Barack Obama, Palin kept a positive outlook, her parents said.

“We were in mourning,” Sally said. “She made us snap out of that.”

Even though Palin won’t be the vice-president this go around, her father mentioned that silver lining again.

“We get her back,” he said. “And we need her back here.”

And while participating in the national campaign with their daughter was fun, the Heaths are happy to be back.

“We’re Alaskans,” Chuck said. “It was a good adventure, but we’re glad to be home.”

People will always go out to eat, even when money is tight. Further, people have been trained to run up their credit card debt. This last quarter will be good for the economy but cruel for consumers. The public is conditioned to overspend for Christmas, but that debt they'll be running up will bite them in 2009.

I agree. Cash people, cash!! I keep remembering what my mom would tell us.........she said one of her best Christmas' was when her and my dad, and the other couples in the family were broke, so they decided to give each other a pound of their favorite coffee and a big hug. Never really made sense to me about giving away coffee to get some coffee......maybe it was all in the gesture, "I'm thinking about you" stuff. Anyway, she would actually get teary eyed telling it. Do ya see where I get my melancholy-ness?? :teeth:

I found some.. hope you find some too! Maybe lots of people could find some lasagna!

The world would be a better place with lasagna!

Is this supposed to be some kind of code? I'm always behind the eight ball......I told you guys, I'm brunette but I must have blonde DNA somewhere. ;) And the batsignal? Does a conservative buddy need help out on the CB? You know I don't like to go out there. :tiptoe: :cold:

Zip, I give up. Who in the heck is that in your avatar? I find it impossible to keep up with you! :headache:

hockeymom- Wanted to say congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. I know it's got to be hard, but we know you can do it. We're here if you need us. :cheer2:

blestmom-cool article! :goodvibes Thanks for sharing it with us.

Oh my goodness. My DH said he was going out to pick up a part for something...

...and he came back with....

a puppy! :goodvibes

I'm just keeping those of you who are interested in Governor Palin up-to-date...

Proud parents
By Michael Rovito
Frontiersman

WASILLA — Chuck and Sally Heath have a bit of work cut out for them now that they’re back in Alaska after joining the campaign trail with their daughter, Gov. Sarah Palin, in its final days.....

Reporters from Outside
did a great deal of digging on Palin after she hit the national scene. Inundating Wasilla, many writers left no rock unturned in their quest to find something on the Republican party’s vice presidential candidate.

Awww...I love me some Chuck and Sally - don't they need another Heath? Like me!?!?!?

Blestmom - reporters from Outside - is that the standard term for the lower 48? Or maybe Outside reality? :rolleyes:

:scared1: :eek: :scared1: :eek: How many animals does that make for you guys?

And what kind? Pictures please, for your puppy-loving pals!!!

What about Piper??

Thanks again to all the "well" wishes!! It feels good knowing I have cheerleaders behind me. DH, while being supportive, is not doing it in a helpful way. He keeps on asking me if I'm going to whig out on him yet. I'm telling you, he might not make it through tonight!

Ooooooooo details, details..........I SO want a puppy for Christmas! But I know I'm not getting one. We have a Samoyed, blestmom........she would do great up where you are. She hates it here in the summer.......always wants to stay in the central air. I can't blame her. We are Penn State fans so her name is Penny. :goodvibes

NAME THE PUPPY CONTEST: i vote for Palin the Puppy

:rotfl: Oh, I love naming puppies.

:scared1: :eek: :scared1: :eek: How many animals does that make for you guys?

And what kind? Pictures please, for your puppy-loving pals!!!

Yes, yes, yes!! I want to drool over a puppy.........oh, that sounded ironic, didn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter