The Commons for CPs

Lyanne and Stitch

Mouseketeer
So, I've read in a couple of places that CPs can now stay in The Commons and a couple of the Disney Programs Blog posts confirm that, kinda indirectly. ( Like this one and the one about the new housing pre-registration).

But I haven't found a post that actually states this or a CP that has said that they're living there.

So, I'm writing to see if someone knows how true this is. Or to see of there is a CP in the DISboards who lives there.

I'm considering The Commons as an option if it's possible.
I'm wondering if the A bus now stops there and if it will continue to have a washer and dryer in every apartment?

Any info will be appreciated! :goodvibes

The A and B bus do not stop there. You have to walk to Chatham. They do have washers & dryers in their apartments. I do not live in The Commons, be warned they are just opening it up in the fall program. There are a few Americans living in The Commons right now but not many. It is fall advantage/fall that will be able to choose this but there may not be many options open to begin with. The A and B bus MIGHT stop there on request if you ask but it depends on the driver. It is not on the route.

Also I believe the commons was much more expensive. For multiple rooms try we're paying almost 30 to 40 not a week to a comparable room elsewhere. Is a washer and dryer really worth that?

I think the low end of the commons was 110 when low end of regulars is 79.

Also when I was in my fall program the commons was a party house. We would drop people of from Epcot and a group with red cups and beer would be there to great their friends. I don't know if that is every program but a lot of our ICPs were party animals at the commons.

They made The Commons Open to the 2013 Spring and Spring Advantage CP's.

There was an announcement sometime in November that they were not going to have roommate matching available (guess they were working on the new system), but it mentioned The Commons in it as being an option and also the rates.

You can also see The Commons mentioned on the onboarding site.

http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/onboarding/fl/housing/roommate-matching/

No reason to even mention it there if it wasn't an option.

I came across a YouTube video of someone who got there in Jan and was living in the Commons. Don't recall who it was, but it was a bunch of guys and evidently they were the first to be placed there.

And I'm sure if you ask directly on the blog, you would get a definitive answer too.

Prior to this, the Commons was exclusive to those on the ICP and Operating Participants. They cost significantly more as they are nicer, larger, and have more amenities. The reason is because ICP's are here up to 18 months and often work in tipped roles. They make considerably more than CP's and as such can afford it.

If you want to live in the Commons, make sure you can afford it...

Thanks for the answers everybody!

The only reason I'm actually considering The Commons is because it's only 2 to 4 dollars more than Chatham and Patterson (According to the housing pre-registration post and the pricing information on the onboarding website) and if they have a washer and dryer inside the apartments, I figured it could be worth it.

I also asked directly to the programs blog but I'm waiting for answer.

If anybody else has any other info, feel free to share.

Thanks again :goodvibes

Well my question was answered along with many others: HERE

Here's what he answered me:

Lyanne,
Yes. The Commons is no longer restricted to only Cultural Representatives on the Disney International Programs.

As of January this year, Disney College Program and Disney Culinary Program participants could reside there.

Cultural Representatives can now live in Vista Way, Chatham Square, and Patterson Court too.

If you want to live in the Commons, make sure you can afford it...

Totally.

Because that $2 - $3 per week difference between The Commons and Chatham/Patterson are going to really leave someone in a huge financial bind where they will end up having to take out loans and sell plasma just to get by. Oh the humanity.

Seems to me that the ability to do laundry makes up for that cost. Especially if you need to go another round with the dryer... and not have the hassle of someone taking out your stuff mid-load and putting theirs in (guess it could still happen with a roommate, but there would probably be a little more respect shown with roommates than that).

To each their own....

Totally.

Because that $3 per week difference between The Commons and Chatham/Patterson are going to really leave someone in a huge financial bind where they will end up having to take out loans and sell plasma just to get by. Oh the humanity.

Seems to me that the ability to do laundry makes up for that cost. Especially if you need to go another round with the dryer... and not have the hassle of someone taking out your stuff mid-load and putting theirs in (guess it could still happen with a roommate, but there would probably be a little more respect shown with roommates than that).

To each their own....

For awhile it wasn't 3 to 4 dollars so that must be new. At one point it was 30 to 40 higher than Vista and 20 to 30 of Chatham.

They must have changed it recently.

I also asked if there was going to be a change with the buses and the washer/dryer in every apartment on the blog.

This is the answer I got:

Hi Lyanne,
As of right now, some residents of The Commons have to take connecting buses to get to their work locations. One thing to keep in mind is that the routes are always regularly evaluated and changed.

There are no plans to change the washer/dryer amenity at the moment.

So now that we know all this, are any of you considering living in The Commons?

As I stated earlier they began opening The Commons to the spring advantage/spring program. HOWEVER, they will only begin to open it fully for fall/fall advantage folks. There haven't been that many open spots but I know of quite a few people who are ICPs who aren't living in The Commons as well as one of my co workers is one of the Americans living in The Commons. However, the bus route system probably won't change soon just because of how awkward it is for the busses to get into the parking area. It depends on the bus driver, most of them will stop at The Commons if asked to, but they don't pick up from there.

One thing to consider is.. Will you really do two loads of laundry every single week? 3-4 dollars is the cost of one a a half to two loads of laundry and personally, I've heard from friends who have done the CP that you live in your costume because you're working 5/7 days of the week in slow season and 6/7 days out of the week during peak season.

3-4 dollars may not sound like a whole lot, but that's $12 a month, which is three gallons of gas if you bring your car, merch, money for groceries... I'm not saying The Commons is a bad idea, I'm just saying you may want to evaluate how much actual laundry you'll be doing if that's the deciding factor for you.

If it's not.. Well, go for it, haha!

One thing to consider is.. Will you really do two loads of laundry every single week? 3-4 dollars is the cost of one a a half to two loads of laundry and personally, I've heard from friends who have done the CP that you live in your costume because you're working 5/7 days of the week in slow season and 6/7 days out of the week during peak season.

3-4 dollars may not sound like a whole lot, but that's $12 a month, which is three gallons of gas if you bring your car, merch, money for groceries... I'm not saying The Commons is a bad idea, I'm just saying you may want to evaluate how much actual laundry you'll be doing if that's the deciding factor for you.

If it's not.. Well, go for it, haha!

It's a very valid point.

I probably did laundry every couple of weeks meaning I only spent 4 to 6 dollars a month (or 8 to 9 if the dryer didn't properly dry my clothes :rolleyes:).

So I guess it won't be worth it. Unless, it's a 3 or 4 bedroom...
I really wish all the buses stopped there too since I wont have a car. Oh well.

At least now I know the pros and cons. :thumbsup2

It's a very valid point.

I probably did laundry every couple of weeks meaning I only spent 4 to 6 dollars a month (or 8 to 9 if the dryer didn't properly dry my clothes :rolleyes:).

So I guess it won't be worth it. Unless, it's a 3 or 4 bedroom...
I really wish all the buses stopped there too since I wont have a car. Oh well.

At least now I know the pros and cons. :thumbsup2

I think I did laundry like once a month because I brought so many pairs of underwear! But I also worked a role where I wore a skirt (so no socks) and didn't wear t-shirts under my shirt (like many other roles do) So for me it probably wouldn't be worth it either!

Point made.

I'd argue that someone who is concerned over saving money should jockey for a 3BR at Vista Way since that would save them $20/month over a 3BR at Chatham or Patterson and $28/month over a 3BR at the Commons. $12 is all of those things, but it is also a couple of beers at Ale House which many wouldn't think twice about spending (or even more).

BTW- for those following along, the individual prices for each apartment in each complex is in the main article on the disney programs blog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter