The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all! I'm headed to Orlando on the 13th. Quick-service food. I've got some questions that I'm sure someone's asked before, but the thread is 91 pages long and I'm scared that if I start reading it I'll still be reading it next August.

FIRST: What kind of furniture, if any, can I expect to find in the apartments? In particular, will there be a desk for my computer, or do I need to bring my own?

SECOND: The Disney Look guidelines say I can wear a "business style" watch, and I have no idea what that means. My watch is a mostly black Timex Ironman Triathlon, with a gray border around the face and a velcro strap. Would that be allowed, or do I need to get a new watch to be able to know what time it is?

THIRD: This one's actually about work. (Astounding!) Will I probably just be working at one particular location, or will I move around? And if I move around, will I be moving to places that are similar (i.e. working at Pecos Bill's one day and Electric Umbrella the next), places that are close together (like, moving from The Lunching Pad to Cosmic Ray's), or pretty much just wherever?

FIRST: What kind of furniture, if any, can I expect to find in the apartments? In particular, will there be a desk for my computer, or do I need to bring my own?

Bedroom
Dresser w/ mirror
Nightstand
Twin beds

Dining Room
Table w/ chairs

Living Room
Couch
Chair
2 End tables

Additional Items Provided
Shower Curtain
2 Vanity wastebaskets

Hope that helps. :goodvibes

ok another question...they don't have just a summer session now do they?

Yeah they do. But it is for alumni only, and just custodial and QSFB.

Hello, all! I'm headed to Orlando on the 13th. Quick-service food. I've got some questions that I'm sure someone's asked before, but the thread is 91 pages long and I'm scared that if I start reading it I'll still be reading it next August.

SECOND: The Disney Look guidelines say I can wear a "business style" watch, and I have no idea what that means. My watch is a mostly black Timex Ironman Triathlon, with a gray border around the face and a velcro strap. Would that be allowed, or do I need to get a new watch to be able to know what time it is?

THIRD: This one's actually about work. (Astounding!) Will I probably just be working at one particular location, or will I move around? And if I move around, will I be moving to places that are similar (i.e. working at Pecos Bill's one day and Electric Umbrella the next), places that are close together (like, moving from The Lunching Pad to Cosmic Ray's), or pretty much just wherever?

1. I would suggest bringing something for a desk. There is a table in the living room, but I don't know how well that would work.

2. I think the watch would be fine.

3. It depends on location. Some have you moving around, and some have you staying in one location.

i was wondering if you can hang pictures and such on the walls in the apartments? also, if you can, is there a limit to how much you can hang?

does anyone have any pics of their apartments? i've seen the ones on the disney website but i wanted to see some lived in ones. thanks!

i was wondering if you can hang pictures and such on the walls in the apartments? also, if you can, is there a limit to how much you can hang?

does anyone have any pics of their apartments? i've seen the ones on the disney website but i wanted to see some lived in ones. thanks!

Yes, you can hang pictures on the walls. However, they recommend using bulletin boards (and whatever you do, do NOT use the gummy stuff). I do not currently have pictures, but I can take some of my apartment this weekend.

why is the sticky tacky stuff so terrible, does it take the paint off the walls or something... i suppose that wouldn't be to great :confused:

are we allowed to use thumb tacks in the walls then?

I bought a lot of the putty stuff, always worked great on my walls, never took paint off....

you can use almost anything (except for glue) to put stuff on the walls. I used nails, screws, thumbtacks and tape while I was there.

:wave: Hello! After reviewing all 92 pages of this thread (only took about 4 days!) it was neat to get to know most of you through the past couple of years worth of posts! I have a few more questions that I did not see though. In the beginning Teh Fish:fish: suggested to just come down and enjoy the surprise of it all, which I am really looking forward to! However, I am also a person that needs to know as much details as possible. Before I get started, let me introduce myself. My name is Jenniffer and I just turned 27 this past July. I will be graduating in December with a Travel & Tourism Management Degree:cheer2: , and will be applying for the Spring ’08 CP in September:cool1: . I am a quiet, easy-going person, who loves to learn and interact with people on a positive basis (as much as possible). With that being said, here are some of the questions that I have had come up while reading this thread.

Program/Role questions:thumbsup2
  1. I realize the dates have not yet been posted on the website, but for those experienced with starting the Spring programs in the past, when did they typically begin? I am looking to get an idea of what to plan for timewise.
  2. Various roles I am considering, does anyone have likes/dislikes of each: Custodial, Housekeeping, Vacation Planner, Operations (tickets).
  3. Housekeeping-are you able to pick up extra hours in the park even though you work at the resorts? Or are you only able to pick up extra hours within the resorts?
  4. Any secrets/tips to finding those extra hours?
  5. Exploration classes, any insight about them? (books, costs)
  6. What color shoes are most common? When you pick up shifts, do shoes matter? Any pictures of the shoes?
  7. When you bring your lunch, where do you keep it? Do they give you lockers or?...
  8. Anyone have a link to the bus schedules, Disney and public? Or able to send me to a picture of an old schedule of how the Disney busses run?
  9. Would anyone be able to give me an example of a take home paycheck once rent and taxes are taken out? (Estimated of course)
  10. How much are the haircuts that are offered on site?
  11. Any additional information about housing for the PI Program, for those who are/or have done it?
Personal questions:confused:
  1. I have found that I enjoy working independently or in small groups of people. Does anyone have recommendations as to what roles would be best for this personality type?
  2. I am a girl who is tall and on the larger side, and was wondering if they have costumes in “woman” sizes? Particularly sizes 18-24 persay. Is this something I should worry about?
:tinker: I want to say thank you for reading my questions and would truly appreciate any answers you may be able to provide. :hug: I am looking forward to this experience!

I don't leave for my CP until Sat, but I do know that costumes for women are available in sizes 4-26. Good luck to you!

:wave: Hello! After reviewing all 92 pages of this thread (only took about 4 days!) it was neat to get to know most of you through the past couple of years worth of posts! I have a few more questions that I did not see though. In the beginning Teh Fish:fish: suggested to just come down and enjoy the surprise of it all, which I am really looking forward to! However, I am also a person that needs to know as much details as possible. Before I get started, let me introduce myself. My name is Jenniffer and I just turned 27 this past July. I will be graduating in December with a Travel & Tourism Management Degree:cheer2: , and will be applying for the Spring ’08 CP in September:cool1: . I am a quiet, easy-going person, who loves to learn and interact with people on a positive basis (as much as possible). With that being said, here are some of the questions that I have had come up while reading this thread.

Program/Role questions:thumbsup2
  1. I realize the dates have not yet been posted on the website, but for those experienced with starting the Spring programs in the past, when did they typically begin? I am looking to get an idea of what to plan for timewise.
  2. Various roles I am considering, does anyone have likes/dislikes of each: Custodial, Housekeeping, Vacation Planner, Operations (tickets).
  3. Housekeeping-are you able to pick up extra hours in the park even though you work at the resorts? Or are you only able to pick up extra hours within the resorts?
  4. Any secrets/tips to finding those extra hours?
  5. Exploration classes, any insight about them? (books, costs)
  6. What color shoes are most common? When you pick up shifts, do shoes matter? Any pictures of the shoes?
  7. When you bring your lunch, where do you keep it? Do they give you lockers or?...
  8. Anyone have a link to the bus schedules, Disney and public? Or able to send me to a picture of an old schedule of how the Disney busses run?
  9. Would anyone be able to give me an example of a take home paycheck once rent and taxes are taken out? (Estimated of course)
  10. How much are the haircuts that are offered on site?
  11. Any additional information about housing for the PI Program, for those who are/or have done it?
Personal questions:confused:
  1. I have found that I enjoy working independently or in small groups of people. Does anyone have recommendations as to what roles would be best for this personality type?
  2. As I have gotten older, I have come to fear character’s, people in costumes (i.e. Mickey, Princesses, etc.) I think this may be from watching many horror movies and fearing the unknown behind the mask. Anyway, does anyone else share this fear? How were you able to overcome it? Does working at Disney make it a little easier in your opinion?
  3. I am a girl who is tall and on the larger side, and was wondering if they have costumes in “woman” sizes? Particularly sizes 18-24 persay. Is this something I should worry about?
  4. As I come to an end of completing my first degree in my field of study, I have become increasingly worried about succeeding out in the “real career” part of life. For those who may relate to this, has doing the CP changed this worry and helped build confidence for what may lay ahead in your future?
:tinker: I want to say thank you for reading my questions and would truly appreciate any answers you may be able to provide. :hug: I am looking forward to this experience!

Hi there. Let me see if I can answer:
1. The dates vary. For my spring CP, I started Jan 12. When my fall CP ended, it ended Jan 5.

2. The only roles I have done of the ones you listed is custodial. It is not bad at all. You get a lot of freedom and get to walk around.

3. Anyone is allowed to pick up extra hours in the parks, as long as they are untrained shifts.

4. It's not hard to do. You just go to the extra hours hotline on the Portal, and look up shifts.

5. Can't help you with the classes, as I have not taken any of them.

6. The most common shoe colors are black and white, though mostly brown types of shoes at AK. And yes, shoes are listed on the page for extra hours.

7. At your work location, you will be given a locker. Also, some break rooms will have fridges. I would highly suggest bringing lunches, as it can get expensive buying every day.

8. I can try to post a picture of the bus schedules. however, it is pretty basic. Some buses run once a hour (like the Walmart and Downtown Disney buses). Some run 2 times a hour (like the MGM and AK buses). And some run multiple times (like the Epcot and MK buses).

Ok, I have finally decided to apply for Fall 08, after putting it off for various reasons and I was wondering......

1. Are there any roles except for character preformer that are hard to get? I would like to be a character attendent.
2. Also is it better to do the online presentation?
3. I don't think my school has presentations could I go to another schools?
4. Ofcourse it would be better to apply as soon as possible right?
5. Are they all phone interveiws or do you ever get to do face to face interveiws?

I know its really soon but I am excited and like to know things in advance.
Oh and sorry for asking so many questions. ;)

Ok, I have finally decided to apply for Fall 08, after putting it off for various reasons and I was wondering......

1. Are there any roles except for character preformer that are hard to get? I would like to be a character attendent.
2. Also is it better to do the online presentation?
3. I don't think my school has presentations could I go to another schools?
4. Ofcourse it would be better to apply as soon as possible right?
5. Are they all phone interveiws or do you ever get to do face to face interveiws?

I know its really soon but I am excited and like to know things in advance.
Oh and sorry for asking so many questions. ;)

Hi there.

1. Roles that could be tricky to get are the ones that are most popular (for example, everyone requests operations). Character attendant is a lot of fun.

2. It doesn't matter. Both work just fine (and I have done both).

3. Yes you can

4. Oh definitely

5. Most of them now will be done over the phone (if not all).

i've got a couple questions:
1. do we get to keep our name badges after our program?
2. for those on the cp now, or anyone ever on it actually, is there a rubber sheet/rubber matress cover on the matress? i know that may seem like an odd question but i don't want previous cp funk on me ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter