• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Chanukkah Thread!!

I have a little dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play!

Oh - dreidel, dreidel, dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play!

It has a lovely body
With legs so short and thin
And when my dreidel’s tired
It drops and then I win!

My dreidel’s always playful
It loves to dance and spin
A happy game of dreidel
Come play now, let’s begin!

:)

In my head right now I can hear my grandmother, of blessed memory, singing in Yiddish..."O Chanukah, o Chanukah, a yontif ashena..."

you know it better as "Oh, Chanukah, oh Chaunkah, come light the menorah, let's have a party..."

my kids get presents and/or money every night. some of the presents are big, some small -- sort of the equivalent of stocking stuffers.

Trader Joe's latkes taste like home made!

the standing joke at my synagogue is "make sure the sprinkles are the right color..." it seems Krispy Kremes are kosher, we ordered some for a Chanukah party a few years back, and were a bit surprised when the donuts showed up with red and green sprinkles.

Light one candle for the Maccabee children
give thanks that their light didn't die.
Light one candle for the pain they endured when their right to exist was denied.
Light one candle for the terrible sacrifice justice and freedom demand.
And light one candle for the wisdom to know when the peacemaker's time is at hand.

don't let the light go out,
It's lasted for so many years.
don't let the light go out, let it shine through our love and our tears...

I have, hanging outside my door, a blue stocking with white trim. :) I bought it at Michaels for like $3.99 a few years back, and it's my own way of getting into the "season".

A work we have secret santas. My secret santa has named herself my "non-denominational gift giver". ;)

It really does depend on the people. We are more secular than religious, so we're pretty hard to offend that way. But that being said, I always appreciate it when someone makes the extra effort to recognize that I don't celebrate Christmas. :)

LOL, Mona, you just brought backa memory. Hallmark used to sell blue and white Chanukah stockings -- they had dreidels and Jewish stars printed on them and said "Happy chanukah". I had a few of them. don't know what I did with them, though.

yes, they're frozen. you don't get very many in a package, but they're terrific. we heat them up in the oven and they taste "fried".

Originally posted by jennyanydots
LOL, Mona, you just brought backa memory. Hallmark used to sell blue and white Chanukah stockings -- they had dreidels and Jewish stars printed on them and said "Happy chanukah". I had a few of them. don't know what I did with them, though.

I -had- one of those stockings... I wish I knew what happened to it. :) My father used to joke that Santa used to come to our house -- he just put on his yamulka before putting in my chanukah gift. ;)

LOL Mona. we used to visit Santa but he didn't come to our house.

we used to joke that "Hannukah Harry" might come in his place.

Yes I had one sent to someone. I forget who.

I have to go shopping without my husband this week. Thats gonna be tricky. I have no idea what/if he's getting me.

Cheryl

Although I'm not Jewish, I would love to hear more about the types of food served during the Chanukka holiday. I'm always looking to incorporate new and different things into our own celebration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter