The Care & Keeping of You! American Girl book

Mizzoufan

DIS Veteran
I'm considering getting this book for my preteen daughter, I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on the book. Was it pretty informative for preteens? Easy reading or is it pretty complex? Thanks in advance :)

My 10 year old pulls it out regularly to refer to. I like the various topics that are practical and deal with today's issues...

Gave it to dd at age 9. We looked through it together the first time. She cried, I was not prepared for crying! It was the first time I had introduced some growing up topics to her. But it was such a good tool for her to have. She kept it under her bed to refer to. She's now 13.

Fan of the book in this house too. Got it for my DD when she was 8 or 9. It was the perfect book for our family.

Wonderful book! My daughter oldest is 14 now and I got it for her about 3 years ago, now my 11 year old reads it. Its very helpful for their age group. I highly recommend it! :thumbsup2

My daughter refers to it on a daily basis. She loves the book. She looks at the chest pics to see if she has had any growth from day to day. She also calls tampons, tampoons!!!!! There is a new one out for middle school gils. Michaels has all the books so I am going to get the middle school one for her this weekend. We love the book. We sat down together and read chapter by chapter. It was a wonderful experience.

It's a great resource, but by age 10 or 11, I'd add another book or too referencing sexuality (we have Its So Amazing). This is when these discussions are happening with peers, and there is a window when your kids will have these conversations with you.

I gave the American Girl book to my oldest when she was 10, and she was so angry with me, because she felt I waited to long (how she never opened the bottom bathroom drawer, I'll never know).

Awesome book. It is what we gave to dd when she was about 9 (now almost 18!). If I may make another suggestion for anyone with a shy child... we had a special notebook. She could ask me anything she wanted in the notebook and leave it in our secret spot. I would then write my answer in the book and put it back in our hiding place. This really really helped because though we have a really good relationship, at that age she was too uncomfortable to ask some delicate questions. Gradually it evolved and she asked more and more out loud. Now I can't get her to shut up.:rotfl:

Awesome book. It is what we gave to dd when she was about 9 (now almost 18!). If I may make another suggestion for anyone with a shy child... we had a special notebook. She could ask me anything she wanted in the notebook and leave it in our secret spot. I would then write my answer in the book and put it back in our hiding place. This really really helped because though we have a really good relationship, at that age she was too uncomfortable to ask some delicate questions. Gradually it evolved and she asked more and more out loud. Now I can't get her to shut up.:rotfl:

My son has always been shy. I found that writing notes worked well with him too. If he had something he needed to talk about he would write a note and put it in my purse. I recommend for all parents.

My daughter wore this book out. I think she read it every day for quite some time.

We also have this book. It has worked well. We also got tears which I wasn't expecting either. My DD just doesn't want to have to deal with this stuff! Lol I told her sorry you're going to have to so you better be informed.

OP- just FYI the second book in the series does deal with older subjects...I have not looked at it yet but my sister did and she told me to make sure I read through it to determine the best age/time to give it to my daughter. I was recommended by others to not give it to my DD at the same time as the first book.

I gave the original book to my now 11 year old when she was 8 along with the Feelings book. Last year, I got her the one for older girls. She really likes them and refers to them often. Whenever I talk to her about something regarding puberty or body care, she says " I know. It is in the book!" Lol.

I guess I should hand the first book down to my 8 year old soon.

We also have this book. It has worked well. We also got tears which I wasn't expecting either. My DD just doesn't want to have to deal with this stuff! Lol I told her sorry you're going to have to so you better be informed.

OP- just FYI the second book in the series does deal with older subjects...I have not looked at it yet but my sister did and she told me to make sure I read through it to determine the best age/time to give it to my daughter. I was recommended by others to not give it to my DD at the same time as the first book.

This was my son. We got him a different book and after reading it he was pretty mad that he had to know any of this stuff.

I had this book as a kid. I probably received it around age 12? I can't remember, but I do know it was really, really helpful. It put things in a way that I could understand, and it made me not embarrassed to ask about those things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter