The Can I Coupon the Family to Disney World

I think the cabins at FW look very fun, but I have heard that it is trickier to get to the bus stops b/c you take the internal busses first just to get to the main bus stops. I would think about if rope drop is what you want to do and how easy it is to get your family moving. The boat to MK is a big perk, but that is only one of the 4 parks.

The advantages are of course the kitchen (if you think you will realistically be going back and forth for meals and if you are going to be able to stop and get food for cooking). I also think the pool area is very fun there and they have the nightly camp sing-alongs and movies with chip and dale which I think look very fun. Not to mention the extra room. We have looked at stayong at the cabins at some point, but we drive so we would be able to get around more easily since we do not depend on the bus service.

I think at ASM there is great theming and is more of a WOW when the kids would first see it, and the busses are right there. But as you said you would have no kitchen to speak of.

When we have gone we have stayed at moderates so we have had fridges available to us. But honestly we have used it more for sodas and milk and we take granola bars and snacks like that but have never felt the need (or want, LOL) to cook while on vacation.

We have stayed at both resorts. We liked both but they both had disadvantages. First ASM shares a bus with ASp and ASMu. This can be a problem when you want to get back to the resort from the parks. Here's a pic from when we were at ASM:
232323232%7Ffp43445%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B5%3B%3E%3A39%3E2447%3B5%3B%3B2%3A236ot1lsi

Excuse the bluriness of the photo it was taken with a throw away camera before I could afford a digital camera. Also the walls are thin and the noise could aggravate Albert and Adriana's Aspergers. In return their meltdowns could disturb other people. And trust me their meltdowns are le-gen-dary.

Then there is FW, the internal bus system is crazy, if you get on the wrong bus your commute to the park could be extended by an half hour at least. Here's a pic of our bus stop near our cabin.
232323232%7Ffp6%3B%3Dot%3E2335%3D%3A48%3D494%3DXROQDF%3E2323879936538ot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp6%3B%3Dot%3E2335%3D%3A48%3D494%3DXROQDF%3E232387992673%3Aot1lsi

Another downside is the walk from the ferry to the bus to get to your cabin. I don't know how many times I walked barefoot to the bus stop after getting off the ferry because my feet were hurting from walking all day in MK and again the walk down the lane to the cabin. With ASM I just walk through the lobby, through cafeteria and a little bit further to the room. It was as bad as it sounds. it was actually closer. The worse about FW--the nonstop country music:scared1:. OMG every bus no matter how early or late country music and not the new stuff, we're talking banjos.

But the good parts is the cabins are separate, with a full kitchen and it is just quiet. The pool party was fun and Trail's End was good. We didn't even know about it until our last day. Great breakfast buffet! Devin says he liked that the pool was open all night, that besides the ferry was his favorite part. The cabins are roomy and homey; also you could put this little magnet on the door and Mousekeeping would not clean the cabin. It was a cute magnet, wish I would've taken a picture of it.

So the debate lives on, really no one cares but me. Everyone says, just tell us the cost and we'll pay it. No one understands the complexity of planning a Disney trip, esp one this big.

On a different note:
Both mom and I went shopping. Me food and her clothes. Well we saved some cash this time. Mom went to Dres Barn and saved $36 :woohoo: without even trying and me; well I saved $16. $16 without coupons I might add :dance3: I just used my Pathmark card. It was an impromptu trip we just really needed food. Next week is the real grocery shopping so I'll let you know how we did.

I think the cabins at FW look very fun, but I have heard that it is trickier to get to the bus stops b/c you take the internal busses first just to get to the main bus stops. I would think about if rope drop is what you want to do and how easy it is to get your family moving. The boat to MK is a big perk, but that is only one of the 4 parks.

The advantages are of course the kitchen (if you think you will realistically be going back and forth for meals and if you are going to be able to stop and get food for cooking). I also think the pool area is very fun there and they have the nightly camp sing-alongs and movies with chip and dale which I think look very fun. Not to mention the extra room. We have looked at stayong at the cabins at some point, but we drive so we would be able to get around more easily since we do not depend on the bus service.

I think at ASM there is great theming and is more of a WOW when the kids would first see it, and the busses are right there. But as you said you would have no kitchen to speak of.

When we have gone we have stayed at moderates so we have had fridges available to us. But honestly we have used it more for sodas and milk and we take granola bars and snacks like that but have never felt the need (or want, LOL) to cook while on vacation.

These are the reasons for the debate. I haven't tried a moderate yet but I may just look into them. Especially since FW is now considered a moderate and have weekend rates. When we were there in 2007 it was in a separate category and there was no weekend rate. A mod does sound intriguing though. I like CBR. The frig rental is $15 a day. Mom says she doesn't care because she wants and needs a frig in the room. We are shipping food down, especially breakfast foods and snacks.

Just wanted to pop in and say "Hi."
I am loving your charts you created! I am a couponer as well. Not as much as I used to though. It's just DF and I in our little condo.
I look forward to following your plans! Good luck! :)

I did not realize you had stayed at both before-now you really have a debate on your hands, LOL.

We have stayed at POFQ and CBR.

POFQ was a lovely resort-we had a room by the food court that made using the reusable mugs very easy and the bus stop was around the corner. The pool was great and even when we shared a bus with POR we were the 1st ones on the bus going to the resorts (which means we always got a seat) and the 1st ones off. POR as I understand it is more spread out. I know some people have said that they bought the reusable mugs but did not get much use of them b/c the food court was too spread out. I also liked that there was a seperate screen for the sink area-when my DD was younger we put the pack and play back there so she was shut off from us a little bit and we could watch TV in the evening without her seeing us.

I also think at either POFQ or POR (not sure which) there are rooms that hold 5 people with a trundle bed. Maybe if you got 2 connecting rooms you could cut back to only having to pay for 2 rooms. It would be crowded but each room would have its own fridge (small but big enough for sodas, milk, water, and some fruit). The boat to DTD is a ice perk if you plan on going over there.

CBR was so pretty but a very spread out resort. The pirate pool would be so fun for all of the little ones-and the slide is a bit more exciting than the one at POFQ for the older ones. The kids meals come in little sand buckets so they have a toy for the beach (and the hammocks are COMFY!!!!)

Another fellow Pennsylvanian here along for the ride. Enjoying your report so far! :thumbsup2

I know you are still trying to decide between FW and ASM - Just wondering if have you considered Disney's Art of Animation for your stay? It will be brand new, all suites with many that can fit up to 6 people - and two bathrooms (always handy!). Not sure if the cost is similar to FW, less or more...but worth a look if you haven't considered it yet...

I'll be watching for your updates!:cheer2:

Hey BookMama!

I saw your response on a trip report and saw your pre trip report in your signature! I think it is great you are using your savings to get to Disney. I have not been since my last trip. It's hard to save for it. My daughter has gotten braces this year and there goes any trip for this year. We did the change in a pickle jar for our spending money at Disney the first year we went. It was a big success! The second trip we used it to pay for my son to swim in the aquarium! I can't wait to see your choices and how everything pans out.

What a precious family! :goodvibes I like seeing how you guys are saving money. The cabins at FW look fun. :goodvibes The only value we've stayed at is Pop so I can't really help you with the All Stars. Definitely subbing!

Hey everyone, it's been a while. The computer went down and I had to get it fixed. Dev and I went into computer withdrawl; but my third child is back. Thank you warranty and thank you HP!

So when we left off I was facing the dilemma of where to stay. Well the winner is. . . . . . .
All Star Movies! (insert flashing lights) why you may say?

Well . . .
After countless counting and recounting. I actually determined that 4 separate rooms at ASMo was cheaper than 2 cabins at FW and 2 suites at AofA. I can save almost $200. Besides staying with Albert and Sugah Mama when they are wired up can drive a person nuts.:lmao:

So our stay will be at a favorite, ASMo. Wellster will get a kick out of the giant Buzz Lightyear.

So more on our savings: I counted the pig and so far they saved $27.79:cool1: So proud right now. Maybe Saturday we'll take them to the bank and get it counted in the coin counter.

Hey everyone, it's been a while. The computer went down and I had to get it fixed. Dev and I went into computer withdrawl; but my third child is back. Thank you warranty and thank you HP!

So when we left off I was facing the dilemma of where to stay. Well the winner is. . . . . . .
All Star Movies! (insert flashing lights) why you may say?

Well . . .
After countless counting and recounting. I actually determined that 4 separate rooms at ASMo was cheaper than 2 cabins at FW and 2 suites at AofA. I can save almost $200. Besides staying with Albert and Sugah Mama when they are wired up can drive a person nuts.:lmao:

So our stay will be at a favorite, ASMo. Wellster will get a kick out of the giant Buzz Lightyear.

So more on our savings: I counted the pig and so far they saved $27.79:cool1: So proud right now. Maybe Saturday we'll take them to the bank and get it counted in the coin counter.

you inspired me and I started a pre-trip as well (link in my siggy).

Saving $200 is great:thumbsup2 It surprises me that there is that much difference but it will probably help that you can seperate the kdis sometimes.

My kids really enjoyed taking the money is. My DH and I figured out that we will need about $700 for the last part of ou trip that is not covered by the meal plan. When we took in the change and the cash we had been saving my special account balance was $699.74, LOL. Makes me feel good to know that we are not going to come home with a big credit card bill.

you inspired me and I started a pre-trip as well (link in my siggy).

Welcome! Can't wait to read your PTR.

Girls' Day

On July 23 Mom, Sugah Mama, and I having our first official Girls' Day.:cool1: We were going to Harlem for the African AMerican Book Fair. It started off great, we were leaving from Cheltenham Mall and head to NY for the day. You're probably noticing that I keep using past tense here and there's areason.

See it was the hottest day of the year and we were excited to go; we had breakfast at McDs and grabbed the stroller out the car to get on the bus.
232323232%7Ffp43363%3Enu%3D3244%3E957%3E3%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D355345%3C%3B49327nu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp43373%3Enu%3D3244%3E957%3E3%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D355345%3C%3B56327nu0mrj

Well we leave at 9:30 and we're on the expressway, we just passed Ft. Washington when the bus pulls over. We're waiting on the other bus to catch up.
232323232%7Ffp43448%3Enu%3D3244%3E957%3E3%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D355345%3C%3B6%3A327nu0mrj
We sat for an hour. Thank God for A/C! So everyone's getting restless so the captain (that's what I'll call her) calls the other bus to see how long until they caught up.

Adrianna's took these. Quite a Shutterbug, isn't she.
232323232%7Ffp4336%3A%3Enu%3D3244%3E957%3E3%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D355345%3C%3B%3B5327nu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp43362%3Enu%3D3244%3E957%3E3%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D355345%3C%3B%3C4327nu0mrj

Weeeelllllll. . .Here's the kicker, the bus NEVER left the other parking lot. There was a theft on the other bus! :scared1: The whole bus was like: "what's this got to do with us? We'll meet them when they get there. Let's be out!" Well we couldn't; the PPS employees on the bus started talking stip searches and leaving people on the side of the road. (A couple of mom's co-workers are booklovers too) Yes mom, is suggesting it too. Again people are wonder what's this got to do with the other bus. Guess who figured out the problem? You guessed it, Mom and friends.

Turns out that the sponsor of our trip, her pocketbook was stolen.:eek: You know the one with the rest of the transportation money, contracts for the bus, wallet Id; the whole nine yards. Unbelievable! So you're probably asking how in the world she didn't notice her bag not sitting next to her?:confused: Well she put it in a white shopping bag. It was the same kind of bag she used for goodie bags. Inside each goodie bag was one hardback and one softback book. So you know if you picked up the bag with her purse, it would definitely be heavier than it should. That bag was off the bus before we even left. I HATE THIEVES!!!:mad: No one knew anything, everyone was innocent. Yeah right. So the trip was cancelled and we turned around back to Cheltenham Mall.

Girls' Day wasn't turning out so great, we were upset, but we were determined our day was not over. First I had to explain to Sugah Mama how someone else's stealing affected our day. See Sugah Mama and Albert sometimes have sticky fingers and can't see how their stealing effects other people so this was a good lesson for her.

So after snacking at Auntie Annie's we head to Oxford Valley Mall for a little retail therapy. I wanted Sugah Mama to see the Disney Store. She loved it!:lovestruck: We couldn't get her out of the store. We were getting hungry and convinced her that we would come back and we headed to Ruby Tuesdays. Sugah Mama helped make my salad and then ate most of it. I would go back to Ruby Tuesdays just for the salad bar alone.:goodvibes

Back to the Disney Store . . .
We're browsing and Sugah Mama finds her suitcase. It's pink and purple with Minnie Mouse on it. She grabs it, "Bye, I'm going to the airport." Here's a pic from the disney store website.

Cute right? So Sugah Mama's done, she just about ready to go home. She's getting the suitcase for her b-day in Jan. See Sugah Mama loves Minnie Mouse. Actually she fell in love with Minnie's shoes on her first trip.
232323232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2335%3D%3A48%3D494%3DXROQDF%3E23238799383%3C6ot1lsi

& it's been that way ever since. In fact, a couple of months (Dec) after we got back in 2007, we were at Cheltenham Mall to support Channey and her high school drum line. They were ushering in Santa and we were there to cheer her on.

Well they had this Minnie imposter and the kids were screaming "Minnie!", every kid but Sugah Mama. She just stared at the imposter like a bug that just crawled in her ice cream. A lady standing next to us notice Adrianna's disdain and said, "Look it's Minnie, aren't you excited?"" Adrianna turns her head (think slow like the girl in The Exorcist) "That is NOT Minnie. I know what Minnie looks like and that is Not IT. That. Is. A. Fake." And turned her head back to watch Channey perform.
232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B%3Dot%3E2335%3D%3A48%3D494%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B%3A447%3A382ot1lsi

I had to explain to the poor stunned woman that we had just gotten back from Disney World and that Minnie is Adrianna's favorite character. Poor woman gave a faint OK and walked away. The world according to Adrianna, huh?:rolleyes1

Back to the Disney Store:
So while we're at the Disney Store we see the counter for tickets with an explanation and prices for mom to see. No matter how much I explained MYW she just wasn't getting it, until she read it for herself. She also saw the individual tickets, our previous times we had the KTTW which had everything on it of course. I asked about Disney Dollars just to see if they were still around. The CM said Disney discontinued Disney Dollars because Disney is going green and Disney Dollars weren't recyclable. We are, of course, trying to save the pig from pillaging. So we looked at gift cards and decided each kid would get their own favorite character. Albert and Devin would be responsible for their own, so if they wanted to spend it. Oh well, it's on them.

Finally, people just keep coming. Mom talked to my godbrother and she's convince him to go with us. I told him how much the trip costs and now he wants to go; him and his finacee. Also Joell's aunt wants to go. She already talked to Nita and said she's in. Now Devin has people to go on the thrill rides with him.

Forgot to add, during our Girls' Day. Mom won a Kindle! Her first ebook reader. Welcome to the present mom!

Your title called me in! i , too, love a good bargain and a good coupon!

Your birthday timeline is a perfect way to get kids to grasp teh idea of the length of time before a trip. :thumbsup2

sorry you had a bad girl's day, but what an awesome thing for your mom to win!

YEAH for your mom winning the Kindle

BOO for theives stealing all the money and tickets. I am glad you were able to have a fun day in spute of the theif!:thumbsup2

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. We did have fun on our Girl's day.

So you're wondering about the title right? Well here it is. Devin's school started today.:cool1: No more late nights and sleep filled days. :rotfl:

Anywhoo, back to the planning. . . When we left off we decided where we were staying and why so onto the savings. Mom checked her ING account we saved $500. Woohoo! The couponing is working so far.

I just wanted to thank Karin B for her idea about the kid's travel planner. I made one for both Sugah Mama and Wellster. I'll post pics of it real soon.

Nita got fired from her old job and hired at a new one in about a month. WE are super happy. So it looks like she still going on the trip. I created a facebook group so that everyone who's going has info without me trying to contact everyone. I'll let everyone know the payment schedule. Let's hope this works.

To be continued. . .

Hi Y'all,
This trip keeps growing and growing. So now Wellster's aunt and cousin are coming too. Wooo:upsidedow Good googamooga I'm already tired. I'm still trying to figure out ADRs for this Grand Gathering.

On another note I've talked to the fam and here are our extras for this trip:

Albert: Train Tour
Sugah Mama & Wellster: Pirate Adventure
Me & Devin: Parasailing
Mom: Spa
Me: Segway tour
Mom, Sugah Mama & Me: Afternoon tea (girls' day)

Sorry to say we've eliminated US/IOA.:sad1: Thought it would save us money and hassle. Besides there are so many things we haven't seen. Sooooo, the extras. Now I'm off to find coupons for parasailing; saw one on allears.net for 15% off but it expires on the 31st and I frankly don't have the money right now. Oiy.

I'm off to figure out where we're eating now. Got every day posted on the wall with our extras planned out so that I can see how to arrange food times.

Hi Y'all,
Long time no write. :rotfl2: I told you I was a really bad journal writer and it obviously goes for PTR. Don't worry though, I'll be more vigiliant with the TR.

So, your probably wondering about the title right? Well when we last talked there was a gazillion people going to Disney with us. Well, they've been dropping like flies. First up my god brother, nope he won't be going. Why, you may ask, money issues, he needs to save money for the security deposit. Understandable right?

So who's next, Joell's auntie, she couldn't make it because she only had half the money so she won't make it. Devin's auntie, I can't get in touch with her, so she's out. And Nita's friend Channy, no job, not looking for one, I'm not paying. No cash, no Disney.

So it's just us: Mom, Nita, Dev, Albert, Wellster, Sugah Mama, Eli and Me.

Good times for all.:dance3:

Another important piece of info. For the first time ever we will not be staying onsite.:sad1: When we came to the decision to stay offsite I dang neared cried. You heard me, cried.

So why offsite? Well after much money crunching, we found that it was cheaper for us to stay offsite. even with the car rental. It would've cost us $3k for three rooms. A five bedroom house with pool. . . $1000. A much better deal. Also with 3 children with autism, we think 24hr disney would put them in overload.:eek: Finally, the kids can't stay up past 10. EMH would be a complete waste. I know you're saying well do the morning EMH. Uuuhhh No. Vacation. vacation means sleep late not crack of dawn. At least not for us that is.

Other changes. We are going to US & IOA :cool1: I was able to work it in especially staying offsite. So my next post I'm outlining our stay. Sorta.

Subbing! I started a piggy fund for our winter 2013/2014 WDW trip...yes, already! I am also undecided as to the ASMo/off-site dilemma...depends if they offer a free dining option...LOVE how you made the charts and have the kiddos involved :)

Wishing you a great trip!! party:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter