• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The call of the Dark Side is strong...

For nausea, some of the people on our cruise have suggested chewing ginger or taking ginger tablets. There are also some kind of bracelets that are supposed to work for seasickness, not sure if the same for general nausea? I am planning on taking one of everything with us on our cruise, just in case.

I didn't realize I would have any motion sickness until we went of FJ. I got so nauseous that I closed my eyes through parts of it. Hippo griff didn't make me ill but the Manta at Sea World did. So did Despicable me. I didn't try any other coasters so I don't know if it was just those few..

I rarely get car sick and don't spend much time in boats or other amusement parks. So, it isn't like I have a way to try these things out..

I may try the ginger. Still researching their options, but would prefer natural remedies if possible. I remember feeling nauseous when pregnant and walking around smelling cut up lemons in a bag. Not sure that will work at Universal though! Lol!

Well.. There is a chance we may not get to go to Universal. My heart is breaking, but I am trying not to give up hope..
In the past few weeks, our vacuum cleaner, garbage disposal, washing machine, lawnmower, weed eater, air conditioner, and truck have wither broken completely or have stopped working correctly.
I ordered what I need to get the vacuum up and running again. Hubs is working on the lawn care stuff to see if he can't get it going again. We will work on the garbage disposal when we can afford a plumber. Not sure when we can replace the washing machine.. Maybe next month.
But the a/c unit.. We had it repaired already this summer and the guy said it was on its last legs. Thankfully, cooler weather is on its way. They are expensive to replace and our ticket money may have to go towards that.. :(

I hate when life gets in the way. I think of that cute Disney animated film, Up. That couple kept saving to get to Paradise Falls. When mishaps befell them, they would break their bank and start over.

So sad when home expenses add up and vacation plans go on hold. Keeping good thoughts for you and your family.:grouphug:

Thanks you guys!! :grouphug:

Today was an awful day! Long story short, bleach was spilled at work, ruining my shirt and converse shoes. My FAVORITE converse shoes that I saved up for! :(
My engagement ring broke. Again.
My husband's truck broke down at the gas station (he had to walk to work in the rain).
I'm sick (and can't afford to take off work with only a low grade fever).
Then, my daughter ripped her uniform pants at school.
Oh, and my students didn't have the greatest day behavior wise..
Did I mention that I have a final tonight?

Totally stressing! We have already put a deposit on the condo, so we ARE going to Florida!

Just found and read the entire thread, all the ups and downs! Sorry you're on another down :hug:

The vast majority of my DIS time is spent on the budget board. We live so frugally, but one of my absolute needs is vacations! But we still do them extremely frugally, or we wouldn't be able to take as many, at least not without sacrificing savings and such. I also love vrbo, since we are a family of 5 and are miserable in a hotel room, and two hotel rooms are so expensive!

We are going to universal this Mardi Gras... We are usually very happy with our frugal vacations, bringing snacks and sharing meals, cooking in the condo, etc, but this time we are hoping to not pinch pennies as much. I've said that before and then just could not bring myself to do some splurges ($200 for a character meal?!:sick:). So, I'm stashing cash in a sock, hopefully I'll be able to spend that more freely! It is not in my nature to go crazy with spending, but I don't want to get nauseated if the kids ask for more butterbeer! We plan to stay at RPH (I think it'll be a busy week and we will need the EP!), so one kid will have to sleep on an air mattress/cot. I have enough saved for the room and one ticket, so still need money for 4 tickets, food, transportation from airport, and (limited) souvenirs, etc. We are flying since we are only going for 4 days, and I used SW points so only had to pay $10 in fees.

Anyway, that was a long post just to say that I hope things turn around for you! If you can't come up with the amount for the initial plans, then maybe 1 or 2 days at the park will be enough to see most things, and then enjoy the condo the other days? That will save on food, parking, etc, not just tickets. Definitely pack sandwiches in, for 6 people even counter service is awfully expensive! What constitutes a fun vacation is so relative, so that may be completely unacceptable to you, but I hope y'all are able to make something of it... I agree with you, any form of a vacation is worth it! I'm looking forward to hearing more about the planning, no matter what shape it takes! I love your posts on the progress and how you're doing it, it'll help keep me motivated, too!

Hopefully you can start moving forward again and no more setbacks!! Good luck, and thanks for sharing!

Just found and read the entire thread, all the ups and downs! Sorry you're on another down :hug:

The vast majority of my DIS time is spent on the budget board. We live so frugally, but one of my absolute needs is vacations! But we still do them extremely frugally, or we wouldn't be able to take as many, at least not without sacrificing savings and such. I also love vrbo, since we are a family of 5 and are miserable in a hotel room, and two hotel rooms are so expensive!

We are going to universal this Mardi Gras... We are usually very happy with our frugal vacations, bringing snacks and sharing meals, cooking in the condo, etc, but this time we are hoping to not pinch pennies as much. I've said that before and then just could not bring myself to do some splurges ($200 for a character meal?!:sick:). So, I'm stashing cash in a sock, hopefully I'll be able to spend that more freely! It is not in my nature to go crazy with spending, but I don't want to get nauseated if the kids ask for more butterbeer! We plan to stay at RPH (I think it'll be a busy week and we will need the EP!), so one kid will have to sleep on an air mattress/cot. I have enough saved for the room and one ticket, so still need money for 4 tickets, food, transportation from airport, and (limited) souvenirs, etc. We are flying since we are only going for 4 days, and I used SW points so only had to pay $10 in fees.

Anyway, that was a long post just to say that I hope things turn around for you! If you can't come up with the amount for the initial plans, then maybe 1 or 2 days at the park will be enough to see most things, and then enjoy the condo the other days? That will save on food, parking, etc, not just tickets. Definitely pack sandwiches in, for 6 people even counter service is awfully expensive! What constitutes a fun vacation is so relative, so that may be completely unacceptable to you, but I hope y'all are able to make something of it... I agree with you, any form of a vacation is worth it! I'm looking forward to hearing more about the planning, no matter what shape it takes! I love your posts on the progress and how you're doing it, it'll help keep me motivated, too!

Hopefully you can start moving forward again and no more setbacks!! Good luck, and thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the encouragement!! :)

We still have time yet. The weather has cooled off quite a bit, so we don't have to immediately worry about the a/c unit. We have decided that when Hubs gets his student loan money, we are going to use it to pay for a new washing machine. Next paycheck, we should be able to get the plumber here to fix our disposal/sink.

Hubs had an emergency fund that we are dipping into to pay for the truck repair. (btw.. this is the SAME truck we thought had died its last death before! Hubs thinks it is the starter but isn't sure and doesn't have time to really spend working on it, so we are having the same mechanics who did such a good job on Bessie to look at it! I look forward to the day we can afford to buy him a "new" truck!! But this one must have 9 lives or something! Pretty sure it has about a million miles on it!) Hopefully, I will be able to fix our vacuum once the belts and stuff arrive in the mail. Anything else can wait for another time. Maybe next month, we will be able to catch up and get ahead.

This trip will certainly be more of a "budget" trip then our last one. But I am totally okay with that! I do want at least ONE meal at Mythos if we get to go to Universal and we want to buy a few treats! But, all in all, I am okay with spending the majority of our time enjoying the condo. There are several pools, a splash park, some nature trails, and a "beach" area that the kids are looking forward to! :)

Hubs and I both work full time and are in school.. we realized last year that we NEED a vacation! We need that time to unwind and connect as a family! So, we WILL be taking a vacation to Florida.. just not sure of the details just yet! :)

So glad to hear that! Btw, I found your other trip report and am reading that... Living vicariously until we can go!

Lol! It was just THE best trip!! We had such a great time!! You will love it there when you go!

Well, it has been a rough few days, but I've survived!! ;) Ended up with a sinus infection and apparently I have VERY bad allergies and so I am on antibiotics and daily allergy meds. Considering that I HATE taking meds, this isn't fun for me. The allergy meds make me feel a little odd, but at least I'm not as congested and icky anymore!

I finished my 1st quarter in school. I'm going back to get a degree in Early Childhood Education. Took my first 2 classes this summer. I got an A and a B! I'm on break right now.

My birthday is this weekend. I'm going out to my dad's place and going camping! Should be a blast!! :) I love to camp as long as I don't have to sleep on the ground and I have a shower/bathroom within a reasonable distance.

I'm making myself a Butterbeer Latte before bed. I haven't had one in awhile. I have spent a lot of time in my happy place the past few days and spent some time looking at our vacation pictures from our last trip. I just can NOT wait to go back!! Reading all the recent trip reports has really got me yearning to return to the Dark Side..

Talked to Hubs and, while we may have to cut back on even more things, he says we ARE going!! He says he is looking forward to spending a day in "Harry Potter World" and geeking out.. So am I!! Maybe I should read the books again...

Anyhoo, I saved $20 today and put it in the vacation fund! Not a lot in there, but I am NOT giving up hope just yet! Hubs' check should be decent tomorrow and I think we might be able to get a little bit ahead. Maybe. I might be jinxing myself here..

I just got home a little while ago from taking the kiddos camping! My dad has a small cabin with a little over 30 acres in the country. A small part of it is fields, but the majority of it is wooded with creeks and various trails going through it! So, we pitched a tent and did some hiking (just the right amount for younger kiddos, I think!) and had a couple of bonfires! A neighboring small town had a little festival that we went to for a couple of hours. It was good times!

That said, I am EXHAUSTED!! Today, I feel every single on of my 38 years.. I mean, 29 years!! :rotfl:

Hubs is so cute! :lovestruc I got home this morning and he was all excited about something he had read online about how if Boo Bear had gotten a Birthday Button she probably would have been picked for the Olivander's show (I didn't have the heart to tell him that it doesn't always work out that way) and that there is some sort of hidden piece of the Berlin Wall behind the Hard Rock Café. He wants to check it out while we are there!

I love it that he is excited about our vacation this spring! He says we are FOR SURE going back to Universal, no matter what! I told the girls that we may be eating Ramen noodles and Mac n' Cheese the whole time and Punky says, "I like Ramen noodles! I don't mind!"

Hubs' truck is fixed (it was the starter) so hopefully it will keep on truckin' (see what I did there? :rotfl2: ) for at least another year! The a/c guy is supposed to come by tomorrow. Next month, we should be able to get our disposal/sink fixed. My dad is looking into a used washing machine for us. He has a friend who refurbishes them. Ours is hanging in there as long as we don't do any heavy/large loads!

But, the best news is that... HUBS GOT PROMOTED AT WORK!!! :banana: :cool1: :yay:

I like the way they do it there though. He gets a $1 an hour raise.. however, he only gets paid the hourly rate if the mechanic jobs he does is LESS then that. It is kind of confusing.. but basically he will make a MINIMUM amount per week that we can count on him making (his hourly pay) but he may end up making MORE if he has a lot of mechanical jobs that add up to MORE then his hourly rate. Does that make sense?

It all boils down to this.. even if he just gets his hourly pay, he will be making more then he is now and we can count on that amount each week (I will budget using that amount). Anything more, will be a bonus!

The only other "big news" I have is that I passed both my college classes.. I got an A and a B. I was pleased with my B in my computer class! I thought I would end up with a C because I struggled in that class quite a bit! I can't tell you how many times I wanted to :badpc: !! I start my next two classes next week.

Oh yeah.. and we may not do Charleston this trip. We aren't for sure just yet! I want to visit a beach and we need a stopping point during the trip. So, I am looking into other options. I was hoping to find something a little less expensive!

Happy birthday, young lady! I hope you have a great day celebrating :goodvibes .

So happy to hear such a positive update. Sounds like things are looking up! A big congrats on the promotion for your DH and your great grades on the college classes :thumbsup2 . And so great to learn that the truck is fixable. My son has an older vehicle (an '02) that we keep holding our breath on......we're trying to make it last through his college years, until he's employed full time and able to get a newer model. I know how much stress it can cause when something goes wrong.

Here's to more good news ahead!

Happy birthday! I hope you have a great day and a fabulous year :goodvibes

That cabin and land sounds amazing.

So, last night Hubs and I watched Sorcerer's Stone before bed. :happytv: Actually, it was more like, we watched it for a little bit and fell asleep during the middle of it. :faint: Can't stay up late like we used to, I guess..

I had found online a link where some of the HP books are read aloud and played it while cleaning up the kitchen last night.. which was what inspired DH to pop in the movie. He also came up with a great idea! He said that we should download the "books on tape" to our iPod and listen to them on the long drive down! :drive: I LIKE that idea!! :thumbsup2

I had found online a link where some of the HP books are read aloud and played it while cleaning up the kitchen last night.. which was what inspired DH to pop in the movie. He also came up with a great idea! He said that we should download the "books on tape" to our iPod and listen to them on the long drive down! :drive: I LIKE that idea!! :thumbsup2

While we love and have read the books several times...there is nothing like hearing Jim Dale read them. He takes you right in to the world! I never feel like it's just someone reading the books (like some audio books). We usually pop them in on our long drives and get transported right into the world!

My son tells me I am "THE BEST READER IN ALL THE WORLD" and I am currently reading all the Harry Potter books to him. Sorry I am not able to be on loan to you. :rotfl2:

pixee- I believe that is who is reading in the one we have! Getting ready to listen some more while I clean up the living room and finish dinner! :wizard: My middle daughter, especially, likes listening! She likes to read, but there are too many "hard words" in HP so, hopefully, she will be ready to really sit down and read it in a couple of years. For now, we are listening!

angryduck- LOL! My kids also like when I read to them! Unfortunately, this time of year I tend to lose my voice a lot (I can barely talk right now!) so I haven't done a lot of reading. We were reading Winnie The Pooh!

They have a free showing of the play, Wizard of Oz, tonight at the local Performing Arts Center for everyone with a military ID. So, I'm going to straighten up the house a bit, hurry up and eat dinner, and then take the kids to go see it! I hope that Buds will actually sit still during it! That may happen. Maybe.. I hope!

Also.. I am super excited because in 2 weeks, I am going up to Chicago (KID FREE!!) and spend the weekend with my BFF! Haven't seen her in 2 years, haven't seen her new house AND haven't seen her NEW BABY!! Found very cheap airfare.. about the cost of gas to drive Bessie there and back.. so I am flying early that Friday morning and coming back on Sunday! I can't wait!! Hubs isn't so keen on me flying though. Poor guy is convinced that I am going to crash and die in an airplane and he will be forced to remarry just to have someone help him raise the kids! :lmao: His words, not mine!

I haven't flown since BEFORE we got married! I got a gift card for my birthday, so I'm going to buy some carry on luggage. Pretty sure I will have to rethink how I pack. Usually, I pack like I may be gone for a month and there might be anything from a freak blizzard in the middle of summer to a heat wave in the middle of winter! And you never know if I might have to go to a black tie event. Or go swimming!

Although.. I feel awful now! I planned this BFF weekend getaway the same weekend that I Love Lucy Live on Stage is playing and I didn't realize it! Hubs wanted to take me too! No way that we can squeeze it all in, unfortunately! :( Our only option is to try and go when it comes to Bowling Green in February or to try and plan a weekend getaway in June for just the two of us when it comes to Cincinatti!

I really wish Hubs would have brought it up a few WEEKS ago when I first started planning it! To be fair, both of us forgot which weekend it was coming to town. Hubs happened to check a little too late.. Sigh.. Oh well... :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter