• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

No, they just think it is. Sometimes it is hard being a parent.
Well, one's perception of reality is their reality and this kid is very upset. He's still developmentally too young to fully understand the idea of death, as is every 10 year old.

Well, one's perception of reality is their reality and this kid is very upset. He's still developmentally too young to fully understand the idea of death, as is every 10 year old.
If this is the worst thing that happens to this child this week, he will be very fortunate. I have children. They are a lot more resilient than adults.

If this is the worst thing that happens to this child this week, he will be very fortunate. I have children. They are a lot more resilient than adults.
Of course, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve some empathy from those who care about his feelings. Geeze Louise.

Of course he does. If that was your only point, I apologize for reading more into the post.
Yes, you were reading more into it. Broadway is as big a deal as Disney (if not bigger) to these kids. And it's scary for them to be experiencing all these closures and cancellations without being able to comprehend why they are so necessary.

Yes, you were reading more into it. Broadway is as big a deal as Disney (if not bigger) to these kids. And it's scary for them to be experiencing all these closures and cancellations without being able to comprehend why they are so necessary.
Yeah, my boys were even younger when 9/11 happened, and I worked in the WTC. I get it.

On Broadway, it's "no gatherings of more than 500 people will be allowed, excepting schools, hospitals, mass transit, and nursing homes. That ban will be effective beginning 5 PM, March 13. For gatherings under 500, the seating capacity will be cut in half." :(

I wish they the shows could just cap the audience levels down to 499 and allow people to sit where they want and suggest they leave a lot of space around them, so no one sneezes or wheezes on them. People in movie theatres kind of naturally do that.

On Broadway, it's "no gatherings of more than 500 people will be allowed, excepting schools, hospitals, mass transit, and nursing homes. That ban will be effective beginning 5 PM, March 13. For gatherings under 500, the seating capacity will be cut in half." :(

I wish they the shows could just cap the audience levels down to 499 and allow people to sit where they want and suggest they leave a lot of space around them, so no one sneezes or wheezes on them. People in movie theatres kind of naturally do that.
It's not just the audience - it's the actors, musicians, ushers......

Who in turn all need to take the subway to get to work, in a crowded area where they might not feel comfortable going, but don't have much choice. The industry is much more far-reaching than the few hundred people who might want to see the show that day.

Our tour of The Color Purple in early April was just cancelled, I am sure Anastasia will follow, as our governor has said no gatherings of 250 or more.

The Smith Center, here in Las Vegas, just sent an email that on Sunday they are going dark for a couple of weeks. All shows are postponed "hopefully". Right now the touring company of "Once On This Island" is here performing. I'm assuming they are finishing Sunday night, then no more for a while.

The late nite shows of Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon & Jimmy Kimmel, which first went to mo audiences a few days ago, have now halted production completely. :(

The Metropolitan Opera has launched “Nightly Met Opera Streams,” a free series of encore Live in HD presentations streamed on the company website during the coronavirus closure

New York, NY (March 13, 2020)—A day after canceling upcoming performances due to concerns around the coronavirus, the Metropolitan Opera announced that it would stream encore presentations from the award-winning Live in HD series of cinema transmissions on the company website for the duration of the closure. The new offering will begin on Monday, March 16.

All “Nightly Met Opera Streams” will begin at 7:30pm EDT and will remain available via the homepage of metopera.org for 20 hours. The homepage link will open the performance on the Met Opera on Demand streaming service. The performance will also be viewable on all Met Opera on Demand apps.

“We’d like to provide some grand opera solace to opera lovers in these extraordinarily difficult times,” said Met General Manager Peter Gelb. “Every night, we’ll be offering a different complete operatic gem from our collection of HD presentations from the past 14 years.”

LINK to Live Stream:

https://www.metopera.org/season/radio/free-live-audio-streams/

Here is the schedule for the first week of streams:

Monday, March 16 – Bizet’s Carmen

Conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin, starring Elīna Garanča and Roberto Alagna. Transmitted live on January 16, 2010.

Tuesday, March 17 – Puccini’s La Bohème

Conducted by Nicola Luisotti, starring Angela Gheorghiu and Ramón Vargas. Transmitted live on April 5, 2008.

Wednesday, March 18 – Verdi’s Il Trovatore

Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Anna Netrebko, Dolora Zajick, Yonghoon Lee, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Transmitted live on October 3, 2015.

Thursday, March 19 – Verdi’s La Traviata

Conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin, starring Diana Damrau, Juan Diego Flórez, and Quinn Kelsey. Transmitted live on December 15, 2018.

Friday, March 20 – Donizetti’s La Fille du Régiment

Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Flórez. Transmitted live on April 26, 2008.

Saturday, March 21 – Donizetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor

Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Anna Netrebko, Piotr Beczała, and Mariusz Kwiecien. Transmitted live on February 7, 2009.

Sunday, March 22 – Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin

Conducted by Valery Gergiev, starring Renée Fleming, Ramón Vargas, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Transmitted live on February 24, 2007.

James Monroe Iglehart, who plays the Genie in “Aladdin” on Broadway, gave this performance from home:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter