The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

In NYC it actually isn't illegal to stand outside a theater and sell tickets for an upcharge. They just must be 500 feet away since Broadway houses are all less than 5,000 seats. Trust me these guys know exactly what 500 feet is and that is why you usually see them on the same corners.

If they are allowed to do it at all, I'd rather that they are allowed to do it close to the box office. This way a person can walk right up to the window and verify with the box office that the tickets are indeed legitimate, than take a chance that they are being ripped off by really good fakes. :sad2:

If they are allowed to do it at all, I'd rather that they are allowed to do it close to the box office. This way a person can walk right up to the window and verify with the box office that the tickets are indeed legitimate, than take a chance that they are being ripped off by really good fakes. :sad2:

That is one thing to be said for the ticketmaster scalped tickets. While I didn't enjoy paying what I did, I was confident that my tickets would scan at the theater (compared to bought off the street or another website).

I lost lotto twice this week. It would really be nice if it was possible to see the show and pay something close to my price range. Regular price ($160) is out of my range, but something I am willing to pay. I am very frustrated.

That is one thing to be said for the ticketmaster scalped tickets. While I didn't enjoy paying what I did, I was confident that my tickets would scan at the theater (compared to bought off the street or another website).

What websites are recommended purchasing tickets?

I saw School of Rock yesterday. I was expecting to leave feeing so so to not very good but I actually really enjoyed it. Just a lot of fun, nothing monumental or anything but I enjoyed it and found it to be good old fun.

What websites are recommended purchasing tickets?

Ticketmaster has a resell section for Hamilton so I would only trust resell through there. For other shows Stubhub is fine.

Getting a ticket checked at the theater won't necessarily guarentee you entry because it could be the possibilty of duplicats. So what happens is the person lists the tickets several times then who ever gets to the theater first is who gets in and the rest are SOL. The theater can confirm the ticket you bought resell is real but they can't confirm 3 other people don't have it.

Thankfully with TM resell they switch the ticket into your name and cancel the arcode of the original ticket so that if there is any issue they know you are the rightful ticket holder.

Hi all.

I haven't posted in forever, but I wanted to update you on the shows I've seen since moving to NYC!

Sorry in advance for the long post!!!

Here's what I've seen (my favorites have been bolded):
  • Spring Awakening (twice now)
  • Avenue Q
  • The King and I
  • The Lion King
  • HAMILTON
  • Bandstand
  • American in Paris
  • Something Rotten
  • The Color Purple
Spring Awakening is absolutely gorgeous. I hope it wins a Tony for it's direction, Michael Arden really outdid himself. I cried like a baby the entire time.

Hamilton... well, what can I say? It was Hamilton, and it was perfect. I bought it a few days before, my school was selling a limited number of discounted tickets and I had to be at my computer in class at noon to buy one. Best original show I've seen in years.

Something Rotten and The Color Purple were also very good. Something Rotten is very funny, and relies heavily on humor that references other musicals, which I enjoyed. All of the actors were hysterical. The Color Purple was amazing, and I just know it's going to win a lot of Tony awards.

The only ones I haven't enjoyed have been The King and I, American in Paris, and Bandstand. Not enjoying The King and I was my fault, admittedly- I bought a ticket to a Rodgers and Hammerstein show, and I've never liked Rodgers and Hammerstein. American in Paris couldn't hold my attention for very long, and Bandstand was just... bad. The fact that it's going to Broadway puzzles me. The ending was terrible and the music wasn't great. There were some good aspects about it- Corey and Laura were fantastic, the dancing was stellar- but ultimately the bad outweighed the good. It's not going to survive on Broadway unless it gets a major workshop.

Here are some stage door gems I've collected:

CPJ1H19UcAE4cJ5.jpg:large

CQ11nTCUsAArqX5.jpg

CQ112mOWsAAxxGC.jpg

CQ16faDWUAEBRYx.jpg

CRAUvqIXAAAvZBy.jpg:large

CSscTmxWIAAEJkr.jpg:large

CTq1rzmUcAAoeXK.jpg:large

I also went to Broadway Flea Market for the third time this year! I had a lot of fun, met Andy Mientus, and got some great finds.

CP7DkMgUAAAjL7U.jpg

CP8AYF1WUAA0Gzy.jpg

So I'm at the tour launch right now for Bridges of Madison County the Musical and it is amazing. Plus as an added amazing bonus Jason Robert Brown is actually here tonight conducting. It's amazing [GALLERY=]image.jpeg [/GALLERY]

Reports on Bridges? I'm actually working on plans to travel 2+ hours when the tour is in Pittsburgh and possibly again in D.C. - I love the show!

I saw Allegiance last night. I wanted so much to love it, but it was just NOT good. Cast was fine (always great to see Lea Salonga!), some of the music was catchy and at a few points very pretty, but the book and lyrics were absolutely awful - it was as if it were written by a 3rd grader. It's a shame because there's a great, important story in there and the ending was touching - I just wish I had cared about what came before it. I was in the mezz last night, and there weren't even enough people to fill up the first five rows of the just the center section. Both sides of the mezz were COMPLETELY empty. I didn't look downstairs, and I can't imagine that there was anyone up in the balcony.

Next up: Dames at Sea before it closes on 1/3!

I saw Allegiance last night. I wanted so much to love it, but it was just NOT good. Cast was fine (always great to see Lea Salonga!), some of the music was catchy and at a few points very pretty, but the book and lyrics were absolutely awful - it was as if it were written by a 3rd grader. It's a shame because there's a great, important story in there and the ending was touching - I just wish I had cared about what came before it. I was in the mezz last night, and there weren't even enough people to fill up the first five rows of the just the center section. Both sides of the mezz were COMPLETELY empty. I didn't look downstairs, and I can't imagine that there was anyone up in the balcony.

I agree, however I think it would have been way better as a straight play with good writing. Not everything should be a musical.

Reports on Bridges? I'm actually working on plans to travel 2+ hours when the tour is in Pittsburgh and possibly again in D.C. - I love the show!

Next up: Dames at Sea before it closes on 1/3!

Your post pretty much sums up everything I've heard about Allegiance. Which is sad, because I know an ensemble member in the show and was planning on visiting the show to see him. Now with everything I've been hearing, I'm not sure I'm gonna see it. I don't see it lasting very long, not much longer than Dames did at least. Which is a bummer, because I'm actually hearing that Dames is pretty cute.

Alright y'all... who's watching THE WIZ - LIVE! ??? It starts now!!

Now I didn't see the original show but I thought that the touring company was amazing! I've listen to the soundtrack like crazy and both of the leads sound very much like the original leads, although I think Andrew Samovsky actually brought more emotion to the role than Steven Pasquale did. We had the added benefit of having conducted by Jason Robert Brown himself which I'm pretty sure will not always be the case but the show was great and I would definitely recommend seeing again if you like it.

Anyone gone to see "Fiddler on the Roof" yet?
And thanks for the "scoop" about Jason Robert Brown. DS is a musician, hoping to eventually play in a musical on Broadway, and I can't believe he wasn't familiar with Jason Robert Brown! Mom actually knew something about music that he didn't.

So did anyone out there see "All Shook Up" back in 2005 when it played at the Palace Theatre? I'm starting rehearsals for this show this week and wondered if anyone had feedback. It seems like it will be a fun one to do but it didn't run too long on Broadway...

I played Dennis in a production in 2011. Had a blast! I LOVED doing the show.
That would have been fun! Only start rehearsals on Tuesday but obviously have read it through a couple of times. Dennis is a great character!! I'm playing the delightful Mayor Matilda. Such a pleasant lady!! NOT! :)

I know this isn't Broadway, but if anyone is interested, NYC Groupon has listed discounts for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, for the third time now. I've been to busy to post and by the time I get to it, the Groupon deal is full or expired.

This one just came out today. Over 50% off for tickets. This Groupon ends tomorrow, but you can get tickets for December 13—22.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-rockettes-55?p=1

NYC Groupon has also been listing some concerts & ballgames. So it might be a good idea to sign up for their daily emails for a few months ahead of when you are coming to NYC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter