The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

The problem is they aren't really looking for people who can afford to come to broadway but choose not to or are uneducated about shows. The major draw is for people who find Broadway inconvenient.

I think my issue with the whole thing is my love for theater was fostered on the community level. I'm just worried that Broadway HD will some how mess with that. Instead of those who are passionate for theater pushing to make their community theater better they will become complacent because they can just stream whatever favorite they want. A PP mentioned they didn't really like Spring Awakening when they first saw it but when they played Georg in a community production they took on a completely different appreciation for the piece. I don't think it will have a big dent on Broadway and the power house it is but I could see community theaters loosing their younger audiences (think under 30s) because now they can stay home and just stream Broadway. I of course don't think this is going to happen any time soon as right now it is all older productions and mostly the UK versions that were filmed for their national broadcast but I am just scared of the down the road stuff.

On the access thing I would much prefer if we recorded a show or two a year and put it on PBS. They do it in the UK why can't we do it here? That would foster a love of Broadway and get people interested with out having it be an on demand whenever you want, instant gratification thing.

I agree with almost everything you said.

That's why I said if marketed correctly, I do think we need to tap in to other audiences in community theater as well. I think there needs to be more exposure. If this is marketed well it could help.

Will it you're probably right no, but we need to do something to get more people interested.

More then anything I do wish they would show some performances on PBS. It would really be a wonderful thing to be able to watch if you're to far, or to be able share with kids who are to young to go to the actual theater.

Obviously all my opinion but going to half empty theaters of shows really makes me sad.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if anyone here has seen "Get On Your Feet", the biography of Gloria Estefan? DS likes in NYC and says it's really a great show. Frankly, he's a little biased since he's a musician and the show has a musical slant, for obvious reasons.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has seen "Get On Your Feet", the biography of Gloria Estefan? DS likes in NYC and says it's really a great show. Frankly, he's a little biased since he's a musician and the show has a musical slant, for obvious reasons.

I have not personally seen it. I don't think it would really be my cup of tea. That said, I am reading a lot of good reviews of it--some from people who do not love the "jukebox musical" format. It appears to be a fun and high energy show by most reports.

I like the idea of Broadway HD. I live on the west coast and getting to New York does not happen. I am involved in community theater, watching shows and performing in it. I also try to buy cds of original cast recordings of shows I like. I hope it takes off and they add more to it.

Does anyone know if there are discounts to the shows at Lincoln Center, specifically for the David Koch Theatre?

Decades ago, I remember watching a friend's boyfriend who was some dancer in a fledgling dance troupe for something that was rather new & daring called "modern dance." The techniques were quite unique, exciting and far different than the ballet I had studied. And the whole audience was quite captivated by the whole performance, particularly the choreographer & lead dancer who had a very unusual and memorable name: Twyla Tharp. :tongue:

I've seen other performances by her over the years, and she has an upcoming show at Lincoln Center celebrating her troupe's 50th year. I'd love to go, but the cheapest orchestra seats which are still decent view are $150. :headache: Anyone know of any discounts?

It is making me sad that Spring Awakening appears to be struggling so at the box office. I suppose it's not terribly surprising, but I have heard only wonderful things from people who have seen it.
DD23 and I are going to NYC next week on a spur of the moment mother/daughter trip. Basically, it doesn't look to me like Spring Awakening will get an extended run (not that I know how that works, but it was way too easy to get last minute tickets). She has been talking about it for MONTHS as a fairly fluent ASL signer who is hoping to go to Gallaudet for grad school, so I decided for that show, it's now or never. We're also seeing Hamilton (ridiculously expensive scalped tickets, but I'm very excited to see it.) Never been on a mother/daughter only trip, so :yay:

Does anyone know if there are discounts to the shows at Lincoln Center, specifically for the David Koch Theatre?

Lincoln Center has its very own discount ticket booth (just like TKTS). I don't know if it's day-of only or if you can buy them in advance since it's only open Tues-Sat.

Here's a link with more info:
http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/index.php/discount-tickets

I was also VERY excited to read that Eclipsed is transferring from the Public to Broadway this February, and I've already got my ticket for the end of February. Anything involving any of the civil wars in Africa absolutely fascinates me... I don't know why. But I am very much looking forward to this as I won't be able to see it at the Public.

Last edited:

DD23 and I are going to NYC next week on a spur of the moment mother/daughter trip. Basically, it doesn't look to me like Spring Awakening will get an extended run (not that I know how that works, but it was way too easy to get last minute tickets). She has been talking about it for MONTHS as a fairly fluent ASL signer who is hoping to go to Gallaudet for grad school, so I decided for that show, it's now or never. We're also seeing Hamilton (ridiculously expensive scalped tickets, but I'm very excited to see it.) Never been on a mother/daughter only trip, so :yay:

Oh, I'm so happy for you! They are both just incredible productions in completely different ways! And I LOVE mother/daughter trips. We take them frequently. In fact, we leave on one to Disney in three weeks! Enjoy every second of it!

Lincoln Center has its very own discount ticket booth (just like TKTS). I don't know if it's day-of only or if you can buy them in advance since it's only open Tues-Sat.

Here's a link with more info:
http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/index.php/discount-tickets

I was also VERY excited to read that Eclipsed is transferring from the Public to Broadway this February, and I've already got my ticket for the end of February. Anything involving any of the civil wars in Africa absolutely fascinates me... I don't know why. But I am very much looking forward to this as I won't be able to see it at the Public.

Wow, I am very jealous! I tried to get tickets at the Public and couldn't, and the next time I'm back I'll have the kids with me. It just looks incredible!

I tried to find it online, but my search skills are lacking . . . Does anyone know how long Hamilton is? Spring Awakening?

I'm trying to maximize our NYC tourism with some good Japanese bar food afterward, but I'm thinking Hamilton probably gets out pretty late. I'm excited with the menu at Yakitori Totto--shishamo smelt! My favorite skewer, and one that is never at our generic Americanized Japanese restaurants at home. If anyone has restaurant recommendations for Korean, Japanese, or Chinese restaurants, please let me know (I ate at BCD Tofu house and La Vie en Szechuan last summer and enjoyed both. Really loved the tofu soup at BCD Tofu house, and will go there again this trip unless there is an even better place for sundubu (I'm a Korean soup fan). We are very much into authentic since I've lived in S. Korea and Japan, and my SIL is from Taiwan. I am not afraid to eat funky fermented foods or the scary foods in the hot pot that most Americans won't, and if my shrimp is still moving, well, its quite fresh, lol. :o

I tried to find it online, but my search skills are lacking . . . Does anyone know how long Hamilton is? Spring Awakening?

I'm trying to maximize our NYC tourism with some good Japanese bar food afterward, but I'm thinking Hamilton probably gets out pretty late. I'm excited with the menu at Yakitori Totto--shishamo smelt! My favorite skewer, and one that is never at our generic Americanized Japanese restaurants at home. If anyone has restaurant recommendations for Korean, Japanese, or Chinese restaurants, please let me know (I ate at BCD Tofu house and La Vie en Szechuan last summer and enjoyed both. Really loved the tofu soup at BCD Tofu house, and will go there again this trip unless there is an even better place for sundubu (I'm a Korean soup fan). We are very much into authentic since I've lived in S. Korea and Japan, and my SIL is from Taiwan. I am not afraid to eat funky fermented foods or the scary foods in the hot pot that most Americans won't, and if my shrimp is still moving, well, its quite fresh, lol. :o

Hamilton running time is 2 hours 45 minutes including intermission. Spring Awakening running time is 2 hours 15 minutes including intermission.

So, Hamilton tickets for Sept 4, 2016 through October are going on sale at ticketmaster on Monday. Will it be horrific trying to get some normal priced ones? DS17 is not going with us because he has missed too much school (the consequence of his truancy). He really wants to go, and I have a friend in NYC who I try to find an excuse to visit every few months . . . Just wondering what it's like buying highly popular tickets like that. I'd want 4 to 6 cheaper rear mezzanine seats so we could bring some friends.

So, Hamilton tickets for Sept 4, 2016 through October are going on sale at ticketmaster on Monday. Will it be horrific trying to get some normal priced ones? DS17 is not going with us because he has missed too much school (the consequence of his truancy). He really wants to go, and I have a friend in NYC who I try to find an excuse to visit every few months . . . Just wondering what it's like buying highly popular tickets like that. I'd want 4 to 6 cheaper rear mezzanine seats so we could bring some friends.

I had no trouble but I bought mine for Broadway when Hamilton was still at the public, so that's probably apples to oranges. I know it's still not quite the same thing because the demand is not the same, but I bought tickets to Waitress within an hour of them going on sale. A fairly large number of the seats for my date (a Saturday night) were sold but I had no trouble at all getting seats. I would guess that you will maybe have some server overload issues but if you can get through early you'll be able to grab something. Good luck! It's just a fantastic show.

Haven't been to NYC since summer 2014! DH and I planning 25th wedding anniversary for summer 2016! Excited to see that Hamilton will still be running. A must see! Frustrated by the end dates of current shows. Very little running into that time slot but I know that things can change on a dime especially based on Tony nominations etc. I know that Spring Awakening is not a possibility. Saw the tour in Seattle years ago and have been dreaming about seeing it again ever since. We live in British Columbia so quick trips to NYC are out of the question. :(

As of right now, I'd say yes, it will be extremely difficult to get tickets. 60 Minutes, had a 15 minute interview tonight with the playwright/star of Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda. They showed clips of the show, and talked about how Obama, the V.P. and Dick Cheney all saw him performing Hamilton. They also did a little bit of a biography on Miranda. It was great footage and an even better ad for Hamilton. :thumbsup2 Even I'd be interested in seeing it now, if I didn't detest rap so much. :headache:

Anyone who wants to see the interview, it might be on YouTube later, or CBS.com might have the whole episode of 60 Minutes on their website. The interview was the last 15-20 min of the show.

Also, the West Coast can still record it as it hasn't aired yet there.

Got em--4 front row of the rear mezzanine. My computer stalled in server overload land once, but it wasn't horrific.

(and thanks for the info about 60 minutes--DD and I watched it on cbs.com last night.)

Haven't been to NYC since summer 2014! DH and I planning 25th wedding anniversary for summer 2016! Excited to see that Hamilton will still be running. A must see! Frustrated by the end dates of current shows. Very little running into that time slot but I know that things can change on a dime especially based on Tony nominations etc. I know that Spring Awakening is not a possibility. Saw the tour in Seattle years ago and have been dreaming about seeing it again ever since. We live in British Columbia so quick trips to NYC are out of the question. :(

I'd work on getting those Hamilton tickets now, for sure. Otherwise, you're going to be sold out or stuck paying scalper prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter