• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Boathouse - Recommendations and question on the commute.

SouthJersey

DIS Veteran
We'll be renting a car for the week and I've been reading about the construction and a chaotic bus route and delay. Is the commute quicker with driving yourself?

Also, as for the dinner menu - any recommendations!?

What we have been doing is park in the free lot at the Buena Vista Palace across from DTD. Yes, it is a longer walk to The Boathouse. But I can assure you, it's faster than trying to get into the garage or surface lots at DTD with all the traffic that is there right now.

We have eaten there several times and enjoyed these on our last visit, just a week ago today actually. We enjoyed everything we had and then some. One of the better restaurants Disney has opened recently.

Starters: Florida Stone Crab Claws & Firecracker Shrimp
Entrees: We shared the Beach & Sea Lobster Bake

My wife has had the Seared Tuna in the past and it was very good. The Jumbo Lump Crabcake was very good (to me) as well. The Hoisin Glazed Wahoo is also very good as well.

What we have been doing is park in the free lot at the Buena Vista Palace across from DTD. Yes, it is a longer walk to The Boathouse. But I can assure you, it's faster than trying to get into the garage or surface lots at DTD with all the traffic that is there right now.

We have eaten there several times and enjoyed these on our last visit, just a week ago today actually. We enjoyed everything we had and then some. One of the better restaurants Disney has opened recently.

Starters: Florida Stone Crab Claws & Firecracker Shrimp
Entrees: We shared the Beach & Sea Lobster Bake

My wife has had the Seared Tuna in the past and it was very good. The Jumbo Lump Crabcake was very good (to me) as well. The Hoisin Glazed Wahoo is also very good as well.

Thanks! Is there any traffic delay on getting to Buena Vista Palace from the resort areas, or is it basically for those trying to get into DTD?
Also, is there a projected time frame on when the construction/traffic is supposed to ease up?

Thanks! Is there any traffic delay on getting to Buena Vista Palace from the resort areas, or is it basically for those trying to get into DTD?
Also, is there a projected time frame on when the construction/traffic is supposed to ease up?

The real problem areas are closer to DTD for sure. Depending on which way you come towards this area really varies how bad the traffic flow will be, as well as time of day. Closer to dinner time is obviously the busiest time near DTD. If you can come from the resort areas and head up to DTD from what I would consider the "backside", where you would be following Disney buses to DTD where they drop guests off, the drive & traffic would be considerably lighter.

Also, you would just turn into the Palace before you even hit the DTD traffic coming in from that direction. The major traffic clogs come when you are getting close to DTD and cars are either trying to turn into the garage and surface lots. The turn lanes and the lanes leading up to DTD can get extremely backed up with traffic. Again, the worst time around DTD is close to dinner.

I hope this helps.

I was so excited to get my Boathouse reservation but am considering cancelling it and just going to Yachtsman instead because of the traffic. We are renting a car so will be driving. I'm guessing since it is summer that it is likely there will be some storms in the evening and the rain will complicate traffic too.

This lot at the Buena Vista Palace, is it via the main entrance or the lot behind the Island Suites?

I would just take the buses if you are at the resort. I went to DTD 3 times on my early June trip and had no issues with the buses. Got there good and quick and didn't have to wait long to get out.

I was so excited to get my Boathouse reservation but am considering cancelling it and just going to Yachtsman instead because of the traffic. We are renting a car so will be driving. I'm guessing since it is summer that it is likely there will be some storms in the evening and the rain will complicate traffic too.

This lot at the Buena Vista Palace, is it via the main entrance or the lot behind the Island Suites?

Its at the main entrance. When you turn in, just keep left and its on the left. Pretty large lot as well. The one near the island suites is CM parking for DTD.

We shared the Plank Salad and the New York Strip. The portions of all the food are big and can easily be shared. Take the bus from your resort. No problem.

Its at the main entrance. When you turn in, just keep left and its on the left. Pretty large lot as well. The one near the island suites is CM parking for DTD.

That's what I'll intend to do, but since our ADR is in December, hopefully things will change a bit by then?

That's what I'll intend to do, but since our ADR is in December, hopefully things will change a bit by then?

Hopefully they will be further along on the construction at that point. I doubt it though. We drove through DTD area last night on our way home from EPCOT around 9:45 or so and there was still a good amount of traffic through there. It was however a bit lighter than "normal" so maybe this is a good sign. It was a Sunday though, but it is summer.

Depending on when you come in December can help or hurt you there as well. Closer to Christmas, obviously much busier than the first week of the month. I wouldn't let it get to you and spoil your fun. Just roll with it and look for the best way to have fun!

Hopefully they will be further along on the construction at that point. I doubt it though. We drove through DTD area last night on our way home from EPCOT around 9:45 or so and there was still a good amount of traffic through there. It was however a bit lighter than "normal" so maybe this is a good sign. It was a Sunday though, but it is summer.

Depending on when you come in December can help or hurt you there as well. Closer to Christmas, obviously much busier than the first week of the month. I wouldn't let it get to you and spoil your fun. Just roll with it and look for the best way to have fun!

Yeah we have a 5:00 ADR on 12/15 :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter