The Blue Zoo--did I like it??

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
As with steak, the question often comes up as to where is the best seafood at WDW. Flying Fish, Fultons and the Blue Zoo seem most often mentioned, but for my $$, Blue Zoo is tops. Nice "blue" looking restaurant, pretty extensive menu, excellent service. And the fact that they validate valet parking and now accept TIW are just added bonuses.
Our meal last week marked our 10th (or 11th--I lost count) meal at the Blue Zoo. As we like to do these days, we asked for and got seats at the bar. THis is a very nice bar/lounge area that you walk thru getting to the main restaurant. We had two lady bartenders serving us that evening and they were especially friendly and attentive.
The Zoo has a nice wine list and I may say, some beers that you won't find elsewhere. I had taken a copy of the beer list with me, but somehow in the next few days and with packing,etc--I lost it!! At any rate these were microbrews that I had never seen at WDW restaurants, which only added to my enjoyment of the evening. Hopefully someone reading this will go to the Zoo and get a copy of that beer list!!

Anyway--we started dinner with appetizers. Mrs U wanted to get the Classico flatbread, but when the bartender helpfully suggestd that it was quite too large for one person, she opted for the Yellowfin Tuna Tartare, with Rock Shrimp and Orange Glaze. I decided on the Jumbo Teppan Seared Sea Scallops,with braised short ribs and cauliflower puree. Mrs U's tuna was good--but my scallops were out of this world delicious. The best appetizer of the trip and one of the best appetizers I've ever had anywhere. The were two big scallops (and remember when you order scallops as an entree these days, you barley get three ) atop the braised beef and that sauce over it all. Sooo good!
After hearing what the simply fish offerings were that day (they have four different selections that change often) we both decided to get the 'Dirty South" Swordfish with rock shrimp, rissoto, and clams. The swordfish was a nice size steak, cooked medium, and rubbed with a bbq rub that gave it some flavor, but wasn't at all overwhelming. It came with 4 clams and 4 small rock shrimp along with the rissoto. Mrs U and I had no trouble whatsoever in finishing all of it and that left us in the mood for dessert and coffee.

For dessert Mrs U got what they call "Pavlova"--vanilla/orange ice cream atop a raspberry meringue, with raspberrys and raspberry sauce. I went with the passion fruit panacotta with a coconut/caramel sauce. Both desserts were ample in size and just "light" enough to cap off a wonderful meal.

Asides: As with Shula's (and most likely Il Mulino) there are two Blue Zoos--the quiet subdued Zoo, and the meeting/convention Zoo,where you may find multiple tables of 10-15 people loudly having a good time. This nite was the quiet Blue Zoo--mostly couples and just a handful of children. Dress once again ran the full spectrum from true business casual down to the "very casual".
And of course we'll be going back in September!!!

Nice review. Glad to hear everything was delish. It is now our must-do restaurant for future trips. Too bad they weren't serving the tuna tartare we had with the nitro-aioli--it was something special. I do love scallops though and getting both would be heavenly:cloud9:

You must find that beer list! We are always on the hunt for "good" beer at Disney, and are just happy we can at least find Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA now at the hotels and lounges around the Boardwalk. Please let us know if you remember any names!

Blue zoo is one of our favorites, never disappoints! Yours is the second review I've read that suggested bar seating which we've never done. I'm thinking one night next trip we'll walk on over and sit at the bar.:idea:

Great review. I would like to try Blue Zoo some time, the menu really appeals
Nice idea to ask for a table at the bar

UncleR we ate there last week too and had another marveous meal (and we got the quiet bluezoo too).

I had that scallop and rib appetizer too (after downing a couple of oysters) and it was very good. There were 4 of us and we all got something different but I thought the scallops were the best. I was surprised at the size of all 4 appetizers; very generous.

My husband had the swordfish while I had the dancing fish special that had a Cajun rub. Both plates were so huge that we had to leave most of it behind in order to save room for dessert.

I'm not a huge dessert eater but the raspberry dish that you wife had was the same one I selected and I thought it was incredible. I left none of it behind.

Sounds like another for the to do list...

I was looking at swolphin menus last evening, because of you, and a co-worker looking to stay there this fall. I thought I'd seen this beer menu you speak of. A quick check of our internet history, and I don't see it. I guess it was the wine menu. Will post or link, if I can find anything.

Sean

Thanks for another great review! We tried Blue Zoo last December; it was the best meal of our trip.

I had the scallop and short rib appetizer when I ate there. Loved it, too. I did split a flatbread in the bar while we were waiting for the rest of our party, and it was terrific, too.

I'm really happy it's part of TiW now, along with the others you mentioned. :)

Hello there, haven't been on the boards in about seven months. We came back from Disney about ten days ago and went to BZ lounge twice in lieu of dinner (had the clam flatbread both times which is one of the best things we've found at WDW and the crab nachos which were huge). The beer list from memory had Oskar Blues Old Chub and Mama's Little Yella Pils, Ommegang Rare Vos (wasn't a great value compared to the Chub - they are about the same price for a four pack in the stores), maybe a Bell's selection (if not this time they did have Bell's when we were there last December - was not a heavy duty Bell's selection) and a few very pricey 750's that were good quality selections plus the usual swill choices.

I really wanted to try the bacon infused bourbon drink but they were out of it both times. They only gave us the TIW discount on the food only which I thought was strange. Anyway this is a gem for high quality lounge dining (agree 100% with Uncle on the scallop app) and a great way to save some bucks without compromising on food quality at WDW.

cdtommie:
THanks for those beer memories. Why I couldn't remember ANY of those is beyond me.
For WDW those are pretty adventurous selections. I give them credit for the attempt. The question is if they will sell well enough for them to keep them around??
Odd about the TIW thing. We ate at the bar and got the whole thing discounted (as it's supposed to be).

Thanks for the great review Uncleromulus. We also love dining at The Blue Zoo. We have never dined at the Bar. Maybe on our next trip we will have to give it a try.

I decided on the Jumbo Teppan Seared Sea Scallops,with braised short ribs and cauliflower puree. Mrs U's tuna was good--but my scallops were out of this world delicious. The best appetizer of the trip and one of the best appetizers I've ever had anywhere. The were two big scallops (and remember when you order scallops as an entree these days, you barley get three ) atop the braised beef and that sauce over it all. Sooo good!

I second this. I had the scallop appetizer a few years ago. It was sublime, and your review helped me relive the moment

I am another one who loves the Bluezoo. I think it is the best seafood restaurant at WDW. I have gone there on almost every trip, and I go several times a year. The Simply Fish with the crabmeat dijon sauce is so good! I also love the bread basket with the fennel butter.

I am getting hungry just thinking about it.:dance3:

So great to see this review! We have a dinner planned for August at Bluezoo. We are doing the chef's tasting with wine pairings. One member of our party is a vegetarian and they are doing a special tasting for her. I'm really looking forward to this meal.:goodvibes

We just ate at Blue Zoo as well and everything was wonderful. :goodvibes I wonder if we were there the same night?! LOL! I had the Chef's Tasting Menu & I highly recommend it! Here's a scan of the menu...

BlueZoo02.jpg

Also, here's a picture of the delicious scallop app. We have to get it every time we go! :thumbsup2

BlueZoo11.jpg

We ate there a couple of weeks ago. I too had the scallop/short rib appetizer. Really really good. I had the pasta with soft-shelled crab. Again, it was perfect. My 4 y.o son asked to try some (I did not tell him what it was). He ended up eating about a third of my crab!

I meant to get a beer menu, but the waiter just asked me what I felt like- an ale, porter, stout, lager. I said an ale, then he asked if I wanted something more or less hoppy. He basically interviewed me to determine what would be a good beer for me. I ended up with a Lagunitas IPA, which is a very happy brew. By the time we were done with the meal, I forgot all about the beer menu. I'll blame the waiter for being too good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter