The Blerch

FFigawi

DIS Veteran
Peter Sagal wrote a great column this month about Matt Inman and the Blerch. I think we've all had similar feelings about our doubts and personal demons while running or doing other things in life. It's a good read if you haven't seen it yet.

Beware the Blerch

Very nice, thanks!

I've been dealing with a form of the Blerch this whole past year, even while participating in six Halfs (and a couple 10ks including the Blerch on the day Inman ran as the Blerch). I'm out-yoga'ing and out-pilates'ing and out-Spinning my Blerch, but the running part is eluding me. And running is the one thing that let's me drop to and maintain my happy weight/size so that's not good.

I love love love how he says to wait for the improvement that will come. I definitely read the article to DH, who beats himself up over not being where he wants to be, and refuses to be patient with himself.

So I have to ask - Is anyone signing up for the newly announced Beat the Blerch races? I just signed up for the 10k in Morristown, NJ. I honestly can't believe they picked that town out of all the options on the East Coast, but it really worked out well for me! I am about an hour away from there now, but my Dad lives about 20 minutes away. Super convenient!

I signed up for the 10K on Saturday in Morristown! I'm so excited. lol I love his book! I'm about an hour and a half away. I'll probably stay somewhere overnight so I'm not too tired on Saturday. Plus I'll need to get my bib and race package before hand. Not sure if everyone starts at the same time (8:00am), but I would have to leave my house by at least 5:00am....that's not happening. haha

I signed up for the 10K on Saturday in Morristown! I'm so excited. lol I love his book! I'm about an hour and a half away. I'll probably stay somewhere overnight so I'm not too tired on Saturday. Plus I'll need to get my bib and race package before hand. Not sure if everyone starts at the same time (8:00am), but I would have to leave my house by at least 5:00am....that's not happening. haha

5am is nothing compared to a Disney race! :teeth:

I looked up hotels for Friday night just for the heck of it. The rates aren't bad at all, especially if you're willing to stay a little ways outside of Morristown (15-20 minutes).

5am is nothing compared to a Disney race! :teeth:

I looked up hotels for Friday night just for the heck of it. The rates aren't bad at all, especially if you're willing to stay a little ways outside of Morristown (15-20 minutes).

I haven't done any races yet. lol I'm doing the Wine and Dine this November. I wanted my first big one to be a night race. I'm really more of a night person. I don't even run until at least 1:00pm around here. haha I'll probably have to do a few runs in the morning as it gets closer just to make sure I won't have any issues.

I haven't gotten a chance to look up hotels yet. Good to know the rates aren't too bad. 15-20 minutes is not bad at all. I'm hoping we can pick up packets on Friday so I won't feel so rushed Saturday too.

So I have to ask - Is anyone signing up for the newly announced Beat the Blerch races?

Yep. :) I did the inaugural 10K last year (the one when the young man died in the last mile of the Half, and then we did the memorial 5K for him), and I signed up for this year's 10K as well. And this year I will NOT wear my NB Minimus shoes for the rocky, painful trail run, but at the very least my Nike Frees. No painful foot-bottoms! And I might carry something to carry my nutella sandwich quarters and my cupcakes, because eating those *while* running was painful, but I want all the snacks LOL.

Not sure if everyone starts at the same time (8:00am)

At the WA one last year they did not all start together. The Half left and then a little later the 10K left, but I don't remember how long was between them.

I'm hoping we can pick up packets on Friday so I won't feel so rushed Saturday too.

If they follow the first one last year, pickup will be at a local running store and it will be a day or so before the runs. It was at RoadRunner Sports for us.

Last edited:
So I have to ask - Is anyone signing up for the newly announced Beat the Blerch races? I just signed up for the 10k in Morristown, NJ. I honestly can't believe they picked that town out of all the options on the East Coast, but it really worked out well for me! I am about an hour away from there now, but my Dad lives about 20 minutes away. Super convenient!

I want to sign up for the 10K in Sacramento since thats basically where I live but alas I have to save my money for Star Wars registration in June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter