The Big One: BLT GV, 2BR, + Studio (MK View)!

dancnorris

Earning My Ears
I just became a DVC member in 2010, so it's hard to say that this will be the biggest group I ever take with my membership, but it is the biggest so far by a long shot.

On September 7th, I will be arriving for ten days, nine nights with my entire immediate family and some extended family as well. We will be staying in BLT 3BR GV (park view), a BLT 2BR (park view), and a studio (lake view). 21 people altogether.

The cast includes my parents, my three brothers and their spouses (and children), and two of my aunts (one with her husband and 2 children).

Over 1500 points, including rooms with a cash value (from Disney) of well over $25,000. I could never have done something like this without DVC. Since I am a member at BLT, we have stayed there before. However, none of the people going with me have stayed there or at any DVC property. They are all big fans of the Contemporary, however, so this should be a hit. I hope everything goes smoothly.

11 days to go. This has been the worst countdown yet. For those of you that have done big family trips, let me know how it went. I am curious. We amazingly have ADRs for all of us for breakfast and dinner every day. I think that is more impressive than anything else. However, the new dining cancellation policy makes me nervous with this many people.

Wish me luck. If possible, I will try to do a somewhat live trip report. Stay tuned...

Holy cow! 21 People! That is my idea of a worst nightmare, but at the same time I'm very very excited for you. Do a trip report, I'd love to hear how it all works out with that many people. What are the age ranges of the kids? Sounds like everyone going has been before?

Best wishes and I hope you have a wonderful time! You are very generous to your family and friends. Your start date, September 7th is my DSis's 60th birthday, you're not in our extended family and giving her this surprise are you?;)

Bobbi:goodvibes

Holy cow! 21 People! That is my idea of a worst nightmare, but at the same time I'm very very excited for you. Do a trip report, I'd love to hear how it all works out with that many people. What are the age ranges of the kids? Sounds like everyone going has been before?

Will do a trip report. My kids are 3yrs and 10 months (girls). My older brother has three kids, ages 7, 6, and 2. My Aunt has two kids, ages 10 and 8. The rest are adults. The good news is that everyone has been many times (so we can take a leisurely pace), and we have no problem splitting up so everyone can do their thing. Still, 21 is a big group...

Just curious, how did you decide who is staying in which rooms.

One of my aunts is coming by herself, and she was a late addition. As a result, she is staying in the studio. It will give her some privacy, and she can stop by the GV any time, so it works. Plus, she is not picky.

The GV was mostly simple. I am staying there with my wifee and young girls because we are taking care of all the rooms. My parents get first priority after us, so they are staying in the GV also. One of my brothers and his wife have no children, so it did not make sense for them to stay in the GV (which has two queen beds). Instead, they are taking the master in the 2BR, which gives them the king bed and nicer bathroom. The only choice left was between the last room in the GV and the second bedroom in the 2BR, which both have two queen beds. My older brother and his wife have three kids, while my other Aunt and her husband have two boys. Since I did not want anyone sleeping on the sofas in the GV, I put my brother in the 2BR. He and his wife can have one bed, two kids can have the other, and the third can sleep on a pullout in the living room. The 2BR gives them more space to spread out. My Aunt, her husband, and their two kids will take the last room in the GV and slep on the two queens.

Simple, right? Largely the rooms were assigned simply based on the best fit for the space. I would love to have put everyone in a GV, but that was not possible for several reasons. In the end, they are used to staying off property, so I think all of them will be very happy with their rooms. Or at least I hope so...

One of my aunts is coming by herself, and she was a late addition. As a result, she is staying in the studio. It will give her some privacy, and she can stop by the GV any time, so it works. Plus, she is not picky.

The GV was mostly simple. I am staying there with my wifee and young girls because we are taking care of all the rooms. My parents get first priority after us, so they are staying in the GV also. One of my brothers and his wife have no children, so it did not make sense for them to stay in the GV (which has two queen beds). Instead, they are taking the master in the 2BR, which gives them the king bed and nicer bathroom. The only choice left was between the last room in the GV and the second bedroom in the 2BR, which both have two queen beds. My older brother and his wife have three kids, while my other Aunt and her husband have two boys. Since I did not want anyone sleeping on the sofas in the GV, I put my brother in the 2BR. He and his wife can have one bed, two kids can have the other, and the third can sleep on a pullout in the living room. The 2BR gives them more space to spread out. My Aunt, her husband, and their two kids will take the last room in the GV and slep on the two queens.

Simple, right? Largely the rooms were assigned simply based on the best fit for the space. I would love to have put everyone in a GV, but that was not possible for several reasons. In the end, they are used to staying off property, so I think all of them will be very happy with their rooms. Or at least I hope so...

Sounds like a good plan and one that everyone should be happy with. Hopefully they will get your rooms as close as possible to each other.

How nice!! I'll be at WDW till the 9th so if I see a BIG group traveling together, I'll think of you!! Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

DVC is great isn't it. We are have been so lucky to be able to share DVC with friends and family so many times and we enjoy sharing our love of Disney.

I too am starting to put together our plans for next September. We will be taking my family, a total of 16 for a week and staying at BLT too. Only 2 children in our group, ages 4 & 3 but not seasoned Disney people at all so that should be very interesting. We thought at first we would go for the GV and a 2 bedroom but thought 3 two bedrooms would be better. Sometimes you can have too much family time!!

Hope you let us know how everything went and have a fantastic trip!!

Cyndi

Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

I have not done 21 people, but I did 15 in Jan. 2 2bdrm villas at AKV Jambo. We had a great time. it's all in what you expect to get out of it. I went in expecting the worst and came out pleasantly surprised. You just have to reinforce with everyone that you can't all be together all of the time. it's just impossible. Someone will always be hungry, thristy or have to go to the bathroom. You just won't get anything done.

I made an itinerary. It had park hours with shows and parades for each day. but more importantly (and the reason for it) was that it listed all the ADRs, where they were and the confirmation number. My main goal was just have everyone eat together and be there on time.

All went as planned!

I hope you have a great trip and definitely do a TR!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter