The "big drop" sensation: what does it feel like to you?

I hate the big drop/free fall feeling. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack because I'm in such a state of panic. I stretch my legs out and far as they can go so I'm pressing up against something. I think it makes me think I have my feet on the ground or something? I also squeeze my face back (like I'm trying to give myself a double chin) and tighten my arms up across my body or the harness depending on which ride I'm riding. My DS thinks I'm insane for acting this way, but I'm just terrified. The last time we went to a water park I could barely walk up the stairs to go on a family raft ride because I was so scared of "the feeling."

I hate big drops and can't describe how they feel, but for some strange reason I love ToT and it doesn't bother me. The worst I think is Splash Mountain. I like EE but I hate the backwards part. Last time I got dizzy from it. The drop on that doesn't bother me though. Thought I was gonna have a heart attack on RnRC but did it again later that day. LOL

The big falls/drop gives me a bit of anxiety, however the part I hate is that it does something weird to my feet. I can't explain it but a tingling sensation that almost hurts.

If I'm standing in a high building looking down, see someone on tv free falling, or even think about it my feet start tingling.

The big falls/drop gives me a bit of anxiety, however the part I hate is that it does something weird to my feet. I can't explain it but a tingling sensation that almost hurts.

If I'm standing in a high building looking down, see someone on tv free falling, or even think about it my feet start tingling.

no no I get that too! In fact, I tripped on the way out of the gift shop attached to RnRc because my feet weren't back to normal yet.

The kids and I rode Pirates at DL 4 years ago over and over again, and I don't remember there being a drop AT all. Not even one. Maybe they have redone it since then? I am almost positive there wasn't one when we rode it.

They are both 52ft. (Well- Splash is 52.5ft). And if you didn't feel it then you aren't a roller coaster chicken!! :lmao:

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another board but this visual really helped me: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/29381-potc-drop-height-visual.html

Thank you so much for posting that. Looking at the diagram really helps lessen my fears.

They are both 52ft. (Well- Splash is 52.5ft). And if you didn't feel it then you aren't a roller coaster chicken!! :lmao:

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another board but this visual really helped me: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/29381-potc-drop-height-visual.html

That's so weird. I asked dh and he doesn't remember a drop either. Maybe it's because it's only a 21 degree angle, and someone commented under the visual you posted that it's not really a drop, it's a slope. I thought that about the Maelstrom "drop". More of a slide down a small hill. Maybe it's a speed + drop thing for me. I *wish* I wasn't a roller coaster chicken, but alas, I definitely am. ;)

That's so weird. I asked dh and he doesn't remember a drop either. Maybe it's because it's only a 21 degree angle, and someone commented under the visual you posted that it's not really a drop, it's a slope. I thought that about the Maelstrom "drop". More of a slide down a small hill. Maybe it's a speed + drop thing for me. I *wish* I wasn't a roller coaster chicken, but alas, I definitely am. ;)

:rotfl:

It just shows how different we all are. I *freaked* out when we hit that first drop (er..slope) on Pirates in DL!! I don't know why I never thought rides could be different between DL and WDW. I started asking at every ride entrance if there was a drop - it made my DH crazy.

What is funny is that I actually kind of liked EE - but the drop in Pirates was too much. My tummy is weird!

As a big drop lover, it feels magical, like you're weightless. You feel your whole body rise a little and your stomach tickles just a little. If its a really good drop, its almost like flying :lovestruc

I've ridden both Splash and the DL Pirates. Splash is more intense, but I don't love DL's POTC, either. The rest of the ride is, IMO, much better and more involved than the DW version, but it's not worth the drop to me, lol.

I hated Maelstrom, also. I'd rather ride DL Pirates than Maelstrom.

As a big drop lover, it feels magical, like you're weightless. You feel your whole body rise a little and your stomach tickles just a little. If its a really good drop, its almost like flying :lovestruc

I love the feeling. I like when my body comes out of the seat. TT can never drop to much for me.

I love the big drop sensation I get in my stomach. As others have said, it sort of "tickles" my stomach. The bigger the drop, the better.

I really wish this was true for me!! ;)

If you go to undercovertourist dot com, there are actual video's of rides. This is helpful because you can actually see the ride from a riders perpective. It can help you decide if a ride is good for you ar your child. I "rode" EE!

Love the sensation of falling. Well, I don't love the sensation, but I love the fear that that sensation invokes. Fear-induced adrenaline is a powerful and addictive drug! :eek:

Drops are my favorite part of any ride or roller coaster! I think it feels like my heart is fluttering and hoping up into my throat. I don't know why I like this sensation but I do, it makes me feel revved up and excited.

DS on the other hand hates all drops, doesn't even like the small one in POTC. He says also that it makes his heart feel like it's going into his throat, but to him this is a really unpleasant, anxiety provoking sensation.

Isn't that interesting that we describe it the exact same way but feel differently about it. Now the thing that we agree on is spins! :sick:

Very interesting stuff, glad I'm not alone!

I went on RnR finally and I was glad that several of you warned me about the drop sensation during takeoff. It was intense on my nerves! After that, the ride was loads of fun, but I don't know if I can sit through that takeoff again, which is totally a bummer.

LOVE drops...it feels like you're weightless and like your stomach has dropped all at the same time...and it almost always makes me laugh...the faster the drop, the bigger the laugh...on our last trip to DL, the ToT pic has everyone else gripping the bars and screaming, and I'm pointing out at something in the view, and laughing while my sister is sitting next to me looking at me like there's a madwoman in the seat next to her :rotfl2:...BUT, I absolutely can't stand slow rides up on rollercoasters....then I'm the one gripping the bars with my eyes closed while whoever is next to me points and :lmao:...once we get over the initial climb, though, its just a rush of adrenaline that I :love:

As a thrill ride junkie and someone who thought EE was fun but kinda boring, I will say that drops/free fall makes me feel like flying and I love it.

I'm the OP of this thread and I'm at Disneyland right now. Disappointed to say that drops, whether big or small, still wreck me. Le sigh! Rode goofy's coaster, which is exactly like Primeval Whirl, and it was kind of intense. Oh, me! Lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter