The BEST swim with the Dolphins Program!!!

Hello momofof22

I am from Quebec to (Deux-montagnes) and with the @##$%
exchange rate it's absolutly terrible, but i read on that board that this is the most popular excursion and it gets booked really fast.
-
I asked about someone being sick, and unfortunatly i don't think ist a good reason but here's a copy of what they wrote me when i asked about cancellation :

Thank you for booking with Dolphin Discovery.

We will give a full refund if you are unable to participate in your program due to a diversion or delay to your cruise ship docking at Cozumel (subject to verification with the cruise ship), thereby causing you to miss the program. You would also be entitled to a full refund if you cancel with 7 days advance notice of the program. We do not give refunds to programs cancelled on the day due to illness.

Best regards,

Marian Davies
Internet Reservations Department
Dolphin Discovery, Cancun.
mdavies@dolphindiscovery.com.mx

Hope this can help you make your decision. We have a 10 years old daughter and she is very excited about that dolphin swim.
Hope we can get to port that day .......

Bonne journée
Steff

Hi Buzz 638,

I didn't notice that you come from Quebec too.

Is it your first cruise ? If yes, I am sure that you will like it. For us it is our second one. We did the Eastern one year ago.

Are you French canadian or English ? If your are French, ask your travel agent to put that information in your reservation. Disney will make everything possible to have French speaking people in the club for your daughter.

When I read what "Dophin Discovery" wrote to you, I think that ease my concern. I wasn't concern to be sick the day of the dolphin swim. If I understand I can cancel seven days in advance, so if fo a reason one to two weeks before the cruise I couldn't go I can cancel.

Have a nice trip and enjoy yourself.

The Magic is a fantastic experience.

I'm surprised they don't offer life vests for this activity, or for those who want one. My neice did this excursion at the Blue Lagoon in Nassau and they were all wearing life vests in the video. That way anyone who is normally uncomfortable in the water, can participate, even the kids.

When I made my reservation, I was told life jackets are available for all sizes, as I was concerned for my 8 year old who is not very strong in the water.

For the Dolphin Discover in Cozemel everyone wore life jackets. including my eight year old son. They had all sorts of small and large sizes. No problems!

I'll just chime in with more encouragement to book that event, and do it early! We were on the same cruise, and also did Dolphin discovery. My 8-year-old son and my husband did the Dolphin Swim, and my 4-year-old daughter and I did the Dolphin Encounter. Gen. Max and the others on this board gave correct information. Minimum age for the Encounter (which involves standing on a submerged platform and touching and kissing a dolphin that swims by) is 3, and the child must be accompanied by a paying parent. Caveat -- the platform is quite a bit under the water, and there is no way a 3 or 4-year old can stand up with head out of water, so be prepared to hold your little one the entire time. Both of you will be in life vests. The Encounter is fully booked by the cruise lines on the day the Magic is in Cozumel, so if you want to do it book through Disney. It sells out early, so book it early.

The Encounter is a group experience, with large groups sharing one dolphin, and the most exposure you get to the dolphin is touching it as it swims by. It is fun, but is nothing like the Swim, which my son and husband loved. My husband usually doesn't like "tourist" activities, but he had to agree to do this because our son had to be accompanied by a paying parent, and my daughter wanted me with her. Afterward, my husband thanked me for arranging it. He very much enjoyed it. I got to watch them, and it was amazing. They really got to swim with the dolphins. They also wore life vests.

You can book the swim directly through Dolphin Discovery, and it also sells out early. You won't regret doing it!

Note: I normally don't book excursions through the cruise line because I hate waiting for groups to gather, etc., but I had no choice here since all of the Encounter spots were sold to cruise ships. So what we did was get off the ship early, meet the Dolphin Discovery rep who was by the gangplank at the pier, tell him we would get to Chankanaab on our own, he gave us the Encounter wristbands and the park entrance writsbands right there, and we left to go rent a car and do our own thing on Cozumel until it was time to head to the park for the dolphin activities that afternoon. (Actually, what we did was GREAT -- we are divers, so we found a dive shop in town that agreed to take us on a boat dive to a really good reef, even though the morning dive trips had already left, and my husband and I were the only ones on the dive boat as we zipped through the water, passing the crowded boats with cruise ship excursion snorklers and divers, we did our fun dive, seeing lobsters, an eel and beautiful tropical fish plus great coral, etc., and then we zipped back, got the car, did some shopping, had lunch and the best guacamole I've ever had, then went back to the boat, got the children from the kids' clubs, and headed out to Chankanaab Park for the dolphin activities. Afterward we stayed at the park for a bit and enjoyed the beach, and my son and I snorkeled. There is decent snorkeling there.)

It's easy to rent a car in Cozumel, and we really enjoyed being on our own and making the most of our time there. And I'm glad we did the dolphin activities. I'm just jealous that my husband got to swim with the dolphins, and I just got to touch one! Maybe next time....

What time did you plan your swim for? I see we arrive at Cozumel around 10:30AM and there are four swim times. Should we plan for a 2PM one and get to the park early to look around?
All advise is most welcome!!! There are 3 of us (2 Adults and 1 child (8)) planning this.

Thanks in advance!
Rae

I have just booked the Dolphin encounter through DCL for May 17 for my 8 year old son. I am concerned that some of the posts seem to be saying he may be in for a disappointment. I went to the Dolphin Fantaseas site and it sounds like you really do swim with the dolphins. Has anyone else taken this excursion?

I have and my DD 6 loved it. I was a little disappointed because swimming with the dolphins meant being in the water with them a very short while with a small amount of petting and the "photographic" kiss. They don't let the dolphins pull you around or anything. I was expecting that. It was quite expensive for what we got. However, the beach that you play on before/after your encounter is absolutely gorgeous, the lunch is good.....however don't buy the desserts. We paid $8.00 a slice for a piece of chocolate cake. I guess we should have asked first! YIKES!

tchalene
Thanks for the update. It was your original post that concerned me but I am sure DS will be thrilled with what you described. We'll be looking forward to it.

Which day does the Magic arrive at Cozumel? Can we book the swimming with ship or just the discovery (touch and Kiss)?

Due to get there at 10:30AM and leave at 11PM - barring any difficulties/weather challenges!

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter