The *BEST* Snickerdoodle Recipe?

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Darsa, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Darsa

Darsa <font color=deeppink>Has an active imagination<br>

I need one! :) My husband absolutely :lovestruc LOVES :lovestruc snickerdoodles, but only has them at Christmas time. I want to make some to box up and wrap for under the tree, but I want a "tried and true", awesomely yummylicious recipe for them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, and I've never made snickerdoodles before, so I'm a total newb at making them :upsidedow

Thanks in advance! :hug:

2. tcmata

tcmata DIS Veteran

Snickerdoodle (or "cinnamon cookies") are my sons favorites so we make them frequently. I have tried many recipes and so far this one is the best:

Snickerdoodle

3 3/4 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
    2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375. Stir together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. In another bowl, beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add 2 cups sugar and beat until fluff and lightened in color. Add eggs, milk and vanilla. Beat well.

Add dry ingredients and mix just until well combined. Form dough into 1 inch balls. Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon. Roll balls in sugar mixture. Place balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes at 375. If you like them soft, take them out at exactly 8 minutes- they go from soft to crunchy quickly!

3. piratesmate

piratesmate <font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t

This is my grandmother's recipe & it's excellent! That may be in part due to the amount of fat in it...because I have it from another source that is virtually the same - EXCEPT that it calls for ½ c soft butter or margarine or shortening, instead of the full cup. ;)

Snickerdoodles

1 c soft shortening
    1½ c sugar
    2 eggs
    2¾ c flour
    2 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp salt

Mix together thoroughly shortening, sugar & eggs. Mix together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda & salt. Stir in first mixture. Chill dough Roll into balls the size of small walnuts. Roll in mixture of:

2 Tbl sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon

Place ~2&#8221; apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 8 - 10 min until lightly browned but still soft (these cookies puff up first, then flatten with crinkled tops.) Yield ~5 dozen, 2&#8221; cookies.

If your husband is also a fan of eggnog, this recipe is pretty good as well.

Eggnog Snickerdoodles

2¼ c all-purpose flour
    ¼ tsp salt
    2 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1½ c sugar
    1 c butter, softened
    ½ tsp rum extract
    ½ tsp brandy extract
    2 eggs
    1 tsp nutmeg
    ¼ c colored (or plain) sugar

Heat oven to 400°F. In large mixer bowl, combine all cookie ingredients (except ¼ cup colored or plain sugar and nutmeg). Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Combine the ¼ cup colored sugar with the nutmeg; set aside. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove.