The best messenger bags are made by?

Tinker'n'Fun

Apple peaches pumpkin pie, not ready holler "I"
Please share your experience with messenger bags. Maker/cost/durability. My DD will be off to college soon and we would like to get her a very good messenger bag and hopefully a duffel bag to match. So post your favorites.

try timbuk2:thumbsup2

I second timbuk2! They are great and real messenger bags. My DH and I use to own a courier company and Timbuk2 bags were the ones we provided our bike couriers. We still have several left and we sold the company back in 1998 after our triplets were born. They last.

ebags.com carries timbuk2 and right now they are 20% off with free shipping.

They are also waterproof or at least the bags we bought were.

Another vote for Tibuk2. DD went through college with one and believe me, she had it stuffed to the brim every single day. It's been to Costa Rica for two different semesters. It's been on numerous vacations. They really stand up to the punishment. DH has one too but he doesn't really abuse his. It will last forever.

But also take a look at ebags own brand of bags. I don't know if they've got a messenger, but they've got everything else so I'd think they have messengers. We've got a set of their luggage and it's incredible. We'll be replacing two more sets with ebags brand before November. And as another poster mentioned, ebags is having a sale right now. If they do make a messenger bag, you'll most likely be able to find a duffel to match. And suitcases. And packing cubes. And pouches. And purses. And lunch bags. And you get my drift. :-)

They even have a backpack styled carry-on suitcase, which DD loved for back-and-forth college travel. She has one suitcase on rollers and the other one, a true suitcase, has backpack straps so she could get two bags and the dirty laundry hamper all out of the dorm at once.

LLBean is also good. Haven't looked at them in awhile but DD got their best backpack, which cost me $50 when she was in 5th grade. She used that thing from 5th all the way through college, every day (yes, she did carry both a backpack and a messenger bag in college). The only thing that failed on that backpack was the little 'gripper' thing that's tied on to the zipper pull came off. Not only that, the bag doesn't look bad. Used, definitely, but it still looks good.

Anyway, Timbuk2, ebags, or LLBean are sure to fit the bill. Timbuk2 and ebags will be more fun, having much cooler colors and patterns. ebags could become a theme for future holidays and gift-giving occasions.

Ok, I'll shut up now, LOL!

debg

Oh man.........wish I would have known. DD just ordered a Jansport messenger bag for college. She got HOT pink, lol!

wow Debg - 5th grade to college, that's good. I bet my DD18 wouldn't do that even if it was still nice looking, lol.

I have had a few messenger bags over the years. One was from Jansport and it didn't hold up well. The best one that I've purchased and currently use is from Lands' End. :thumbsup2

Oh man.........wish I would have known. DD just ordered a Jansport messenger bag for college. She got HOT pink, lol!

wow Debg - 5th grade to college, that's good. I bet my DD18 wouldn't do that even if it was still nice looking, lol.

Well, it actually became a game with her to see how long it would last... wouldn't be surprised to see her dig it out for grad school.

debg

Love Timbuk2. Very durable. I have a messenger bag which I use as a carry-on, and also a purse. You can just wipe them off. Very good quality.

Ive had a cloth one made by Fossil forever. It's pretty much the only messenger bag I still have. But I like Fossil products and have a few of them and they all tend to hold up well.

I also should mention that sierratradingpost.com often has Timbuk2 bags and they run some great sales and coupons. The thing is, they're usually last year's color choices/styles. If you happen to like the colors from last year you can often get the bag for 50% less than at the Timbuk2 site. They've got a bunch of them right now. I got DH's from sierratradingpost.com. I researched it pretty thoroughly so I knew exactly which features the various bags had, made my purchase accordingly.

BTW, if you think you might buy something be sure to sign up for their emails... they used to give a "welcome" coupon too.

debg

Timbuk2 and LL Bean have some great messenger bags. But I just love the Briggs & Riley Go messenger bag. It’s comfortable and casual and goes very well with all kinds of outfits – jeans, dresses, shorts, etc. I am sure your daughter will love it. As far as durability is concerned, you have nothing to worry with Briggs & Riley and their lifetime warranty offer.

I have an Osprey Courier bag and love it. I've had for 4 years and it was worth every penny! Depending on where you buy it they can run from $80-$100. Mine's fairy big (I got the biggest size) but is extremely durable, fits my laptop and a bunch of books. Plus it's waterproof which has been great for our WA winters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter