The BEST HOME

I agree with all who have commented up to this point.

Originally, I purchased a contract at OKW because of the lower dues, better availability of units, parking in front of unit, etc. And, after our first trip "home", we really enjoyed it! It was fabulous, the unit size was spectacular (1BR) and all was great.

And then came...VWL!

What a beautiful resort. In our opinion, we found the perfect resort for us. We have a small child and we loved the fact that we could keep her in her stroller from the room all the way to the Magic Kingdom by taking the ferry. No lifting and folding and all of that stuff.

What I'm trying to say is...don't limit your thinking to just your "home" resort. Try and explore...even before buying by renting points and staying at the different resorts. This will give you an idea as to what is best for you and your family. Unless you are going during very popular "DVC Times" (some not-so popular times at WDW could be very popular with the DVC families too), then the 7-month window will be fine for you. We haven't had any issues booking at our "home" or "2nd home" resorts up to this point and we generally do our ressies about a month or two out.

Good luck! :teeth:

Come on , guys. Why is everyone being so level-headed and polite? Why can't we give dcmiii the same resort-fighting that I was treated to when I asked these kind of questions last year?

Oh well, I guess it's up to me.

---------------------------

DEFINITELY buy at BCV. Not only does it have the best location and pool, we understand that beginning next year, BCV owners will be given complimentary Segways during their stay.

AVOID ALL THE OTHER RESORTS! Here's why:

VILLAS AT WILDERNESS LODGE: Their woodsy theming has caused them to develop a horrible tick problem. These ticks are the size of rats. They drop off the ceiling and land on people in their sleep. Several owners have been killed. That's why you'll read fewer VWL threads than threads about the other resorts.

BOARDWALK VILLAS: Their swimming pool features a giant clown designed to look like he's vomiting small children. They've had to hire counselors to help kids through the trauma.

OLD KEY WEST RESORTS: They recently discovered that this resort was built on a Seminole Indian burial ground. It's scheduled to be torn down this winter. (That's NOT a big slide they're building. It's a shrine to the Seminole.)

SARATOGA SPRINGS: This resort is NOT themed after upstate New York. The "Saratoga" actually refers to the cigarette, which co-sponsors the resort. The swimming pool is designed to look like a giant ashtray, where the characters gives out menthols to the kids at a special "Lightin' Up with Mickey!" party. At night, they actually pump cigarette smoke into the villas. (One upside: the smoke keeps the ticks away.)

HILTON HEAD and VERO BEACH: Both of these are on the Atlantic Ocean. Did you see the meteor movie, "Deep Impact"? If a meteor hits the Atlantic and you're at one of these resorts, you'll be killed. If you're in Orlando, at least you have a fighting chance. (Some people might say that a meteor could hit Orlando, but they obviously didn't see the movie. The meteor will hit the Atlantic. Movies don't lie, my friend.)

So again, BCV is the ONLY way to go!

...yep, BCV...

...Hmmmm...wait a minute...

I just thought of something...

If you buy into BCV, it's going to mean one more person I have to compete with to get studio reservations for my family of six.

STAY AWAY FROM BCV!

Some Cast Members have been known to steal food out of refrigerators, and break into your safe. (This isn't surprising, considering most employees are on a work-release program from Florida Department of Corrections.) Stormalong Bay is sometimes so crowded, they put up giant screens and broadcast the ABC Family Channel to drive people away.

And finally, do you ever wonder why you don't see dogs running around WDW?

Three words: Yachtsman Steak House.

HELP ME OUT HERE, PA! KEEP THIS PERSON OUT OF MY RESORT!

-------------------

Okay, I'm done.

Are you in trouble!! Those out there without a sense of humor will be fuming. However, those of us on the other side of the fence are cracking up!! Man, that was funny. I LOLed!! Wait, what's that? A TICK!!!:teeth:

Good one, CVW! As a fellow BCVer, I'm with you.

Here's a couple of other drawbacks to BCV:

BCV is too close to Rose n' Crown Pub, thus my Guiness intake has increased to dangerous levels while vacationing.

Stormalong Bay is so big, I actually lost my kids for 3 hours - oh wait, that's a plus.

Staying at BCV will compel you to try the Kitchen Sink at Beaches n Cream, thus rendering you totally useless and miserable the rest of the evening.

The rumored future plans to extend the monorail line have it stopping at every DVC Resort except BCV, including HH and Vero Beach!

Art the Greeter was actually once a guest who didn't pay his bill. Now he's forced to spend the next seven years smiling and greeting people in that blue jacket. He's one of the lucky ones. Most guests who don't pay are committed to cleaning that section of SAB often mistaken for a kitty litter box.

Originally posted by CVW
SARATOGA SPRINGS: This resort is NOT themed after upstate New York. The "Saratoga" actually refers to the cigarette, which co-sponsors the resort. The swimming pool is designed to look like a giant ashtray, where the characters gives out menthols to the kids at a special "Lightin' Up with Mickey!" party. At night, they actually pump cigarette smoke into the villas. (One upside: the smoke keeps the ticks away.)
No wonder everyone is complaining about how big SSR is, how they are tired after walking to the pool, how they need golf carts - they're all short of breath due to the cigarette smoke! And the Spa - they don't do de-tox, they do RE-tox - to get the nicotine level in your bloodstream back up to addiction levels!

It's all so clear to me now - well, it would be if the smoke wasn't in my eyes....

Originally posted by CVW
...Hmmmm...wait a minute...

I just thought of something...

If you buy into BCV, it's going to mean one more person I have to compete with to get studio reservations for my family of six.

STAY AWAY FROM BCV!

Great post, CVW! :teeth:

For the sake of dmciii (and any other newbies reading), I just want to make sure that everyone realizes the above statement really isn't true. The number of points at each resort is fixed at the time of construction and cannot rise unless more accommodations are built.

Since BCV is "sold-out" the only avenue for points is to buy a contract on the resale market, which represents points that the original owner has decided to sell for whatever reason (death, divorce, loss of job, etc.)

While it's technically true that the number of contract holders may fluctuate a bit, the total points available at the resort remains constant.

OK CVW I think you have actual hurt yourself now. If the other owners at BCV have your sense of humor there is no other resort around for me.

Thank you, I have not laughed that hard in a long time.

This nightly ritual of searching for resales now that we finally decided to take the plunge has taken the "joy out of mudville for me" But that made this all worth while. Thank you. and I promise if I don't buy at BCV I will come riding over on the back of one of my newly lasooed WL ticks and we can explore the newest theme park Seminole world.

Thanks again Don:tongue: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Just a little update, Well CVW you did it, the wife and I have an offer out on BCV. WE hope to hear tommorrow if accepted and head for ROFR with lightening speed. With any luck Ill see you on SAB

Congratulations!

Make sure the free Segway during your stay is included in your contract. I specifically had it written in, along with a rider giving me a free cabana when I pool-hop to OKW. (That way I don't have to mingle with the OKW riff-raff...really a shame their resort is going to be torn down. It's amazing how few people actually know it.) The cabana is lined with Kevlar in case Pa@okw95 opens fire when he catches me pool-hopping to his resort.

Originally posted by CVW
Congratulations!

Make sure the free Segway during your stay is included in your contract. I specifically had it written in, along with a rider giving me a free cabana when I pool-hop to OKW. (That way I don't have to mingle with the OKW riff-raff...really a shame their resort is going to be torn down. It's amazing how few people actually know it.) The cabana is lined with Kevlar in case Pa@okw95 opens fire when he catches me pool-hopping to his resort.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We bought our original contract due to cost and conveniance. I can't really say there is a bad rsort for a home resort as it is after all Disney they are all just quite different on their own. Some resorts appeal to some members some do not we love BWV for all the hustle and bustle and night life some prefer to stay away from that. Some love OKW for the parking and the retirement home feel (very quiet and somewhat secluded feeling) Some love the look and feel of VWL some don't. It really all comes down to personal taste and what you like to do for vacation do you like to relax at your resort or do you like to have good nightlife around your resort.

Well LISA we did BC so we could have the excitment near and still get away a little. Lets say we tried to strike a balance

Don

We are a family of 3 that have our original contract @ VWL & an add on @ BCV, that being said my personal fav is BWV and my DH & DD's is OKW?

I guess what I'm trying to say, buy where you want to stay most but your not locked into it by any means. The majority of our stays have been @ OKW.

I guess I need to flex my muscles more often:teeth: But seriously if someone said I'm sorry you can only stay @ your home resort. I wouldn't cry!

Good luck with your choice,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter