The Battle For My Wallet VI: The Trip Report That Isn’t a Trip Report (P.24, 11/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzub said:
Frick is right

Excuse me Tag Fairy. I think we have a good one here!

Bamaboy said:
Thanks, but I fear we're just prolonging the inevitable. Beating LSU was not unlike naming Gov. Palin to the ticket. Nice bump in the polls but eventually people got to know her better and the markets went bust and so did McCain's campaign. We're overperforming and it's almost midnight.

Right after the 'kick' that sent the game into overtime, Mr. Frick slammed his stuff around for awhile, muttered some words to himself that no one else really needed to hear, and then he shouted "I hate being good". I was DED! Just know if you all lose, it is because he broke some sort of MoJo. This week, if he watched the game, y'all stunk it up. If he turned the channel, you guys did great. So, all Bama fans can thank Mr. Frick for turning the television to ICarly during overtime. This is a man whose last words before jumping out of an airplane was "Roll Tide".

I was at Sam's this weekend and almost picked up a case of the grapefruit cups you speak so highly of. I was afraid they would be 'twangy'.

It's Janet. MISS Jackson if you're nasty...

Don't be bringin' 80s lyrics that I could sing in my sleep, and then think you'll slide that one by us.

It's been a while since I've been here on the DIS. Despite my pleadings for a different update day, you seem to STILL be stuck on Monday mornings. Is everything about you? But that just means that about the time this little ditty needs a bump from page two, I'll be here.

Before I give props to the TR author himself, I gotta give props to the HILARIOUS commentators. LaLa, Sneezie, Frick, Great Biscuit (DED!), and my sweet friend Mel. And I'm sure there are more, but I can't scroll down far enough to see them.

Quick aside: Just yesterday, I moved our family computer to a more "family centered" location. It's in front of a BIG window that faces our backyard. Which is densely wooded. The computer mouse has a small red light on the bottom of it. Just now, I evidently lifted the mouse just enough to reflect said small red light on the big window. Which made it appear as if an assassin was out in the woods with me as his target. :scared1:

Carry on.

ZZUB, GREAT food installment.

I hear some people say that they don’t like making reservations for Disney restaurants six months in advance because they don’t know what they’ll be in the mood to eat six months from now.

Those people are idiots. And they are welcome at Disney World for as long as I go and plan my meals 180 days in advance.

But the Cobb was the size of Ms. Winfrey's porcine derriere.

DED! Until Oprah throws some of her "favorite things" my way, I'll continue to laugh at this. But if I ever get some fancy makeup for free, or a cashmere bathrobe that's more expensive than my engagement stone, she'll become my BFF. And all making fun of her will cease.

“ZZUB only eats vegetables he can find in the chip aisle.”

Have you ever seen the "green bean chips" at The Fresh Market? It's pathetic, really. Long, uncut green beans, dried out and seasoned. Then sold for something ridiculous like $7 a pound. I still have faith in my fellow Maconites, though. Cause I've never actually seen anyone buy them.

What dessert could actually be better than Butter Grilled Pound Cake?

I know what MY answer is to this question. I look forward to hearing yours.

Again, great installment. Full of the funny and the information. Because what better combination is there than good times and good food?

Looking forward to the next installment...

NM :3dglasses

I am enjoying the TR and learning of the ZZUBs. I am also deep into detctive mode trying to figure out the true identity of the ZZUB. My brother went to law school at the Bama in the 90's. He thinks he knows who you are... we'll just have to see...

Don't feel bad, the so-called normal crew isn't that witty. Except Sneezie. She's full on funny.
You really want some of my cake, don't you?

The only bumper sticker I have on my car says, "Keep honking, I'm still eating."
popcorn:: Mine says: "If you can read this sign, Flip me over" But I put the sign on right side up. I crack myself up! :lmao:

This made me laugh so hard I began sneezing with a British accent. You kill me DED.
Okay, okay... I'll send you some cake. Geesh!

What time do you want the ZZUBs on Thanksgiving Day?
We'll be celebrating Thanksgiving on Friday this year. Be there by 1:00!

Y'all are wrong. "No my first name ain't baby. It's Janet. It's Jackson if you're nasty."
When I read this, I said "Maybe's he's right. Have I been singing this song wrong all of these years. My life as I know it could very well be over. So I rifled through my box of Hammer Pants, Hall & Oats albums, leg warmers, banana hair clips, Kirk Cameron, Todd Bridges & New Edition posters, 25 pairs of slouch socks, shoulder pads, stonewashed jeans, an Esprit sweatshirt, a Jane Fonda Aerobics Tape, a Richard Simmons "Sweating to the Oldies" Tape, a Rubik's Cube, a Bargain Hunter game, a Trapper Keeper full of break dancing instructions and a pair of spats to get to my Janet Jackson "Control" Album and turntable and It's "Ms" Jackson, if you're nasty!

I guess you're just not nasty, my Christian brother! :angel:

Right after the 'kick' that sent the game into overtime, Mr. Frick slammed his stuff around for awhile, muttered some words to himself that no one else really needed to hear, and then he shouted "I hate being good". I was DED! Just know if you all lose, it is because he broke some sort of MoJo. This week, if he watched the game, y'all stunk it up. If he turned the channel, you guys did great. So, all Bama fans can thank Mr. Frick for turning the television to ICarly during overtime. This is a man whose last words before jumping out of an airplane was "Roll Tide".
ZZUBY is banned from wearing her Alabama cheerleader outfit on gamedays. Because we did lousy when she wore it. And although I'm not superstitious, there's no point in messing around with these things.

I was at Sam's this weekend and almost picked up a case of the grapefruit cups you speak so highly of. I was afraid they would be 'twangy'.
Don't be afraid of teh grapefruit cup. They're not twangy. GFAMT. I hate sour. They're sweet.

It's been a while since I've been here on the DIS.
Really? Hadn't noticed.

I am enjoying the TR and learning of the ZZUBs. I am also deep into detctive mode trying to figure out the true identity of the ZZUB. My brother went to law school at the Bama in the 90's. He thinks he knows who you are... we'll just have to see...
You're not going to be very successful. I went to Bama for undergrad, not law school.

You really want some of my cake, don't you?
It's cake, right? Then yes, I want some. I don't even care what kind it is. As long as it's not stale. I hate stale cake. HATE IT!

When I read this, I said "Maybe's he's right. Have I been singing this song wrong all of these years. My life as I know it could very well be over. So I rifled through my box of Hammer Pants, Hall & Oats albums, leg warmers, banana hair clips, Kirk Cameron, Todd Bridges & New Edition posters, 25 pairs of slouch socks, shoulder pads, stonewashed jeans, an Esprit sweatshirt, a Jane Fonda Aerobics Tape, a Richard Simmons "Sweating to the Oldies" Tape, a Rubik's Cube, a Bargain Hunter game, a Trapper Keeper full of break dancing instructions and a pair of spats to get to my Janet Jackson "Control" Album and turntable and It's "Ms" Jackson, if you're nasty!
My work here is done.

I guess you're just not nasty, my Christian brother! :angel:
DED! That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week.

:moped:

I know your ode to Grilled Poundcake was in another thread, but I had to post. Nice reference to "Gone" by Switchfoot. Loved it.

Chapter Six: Post Lunch Ergo Propter Lunch

In EPCOT we again returned to Electric Umbrella. They don’t have tuna there but they have something I like just as much: free refills. They also have a decent burger. I read a lot of smack about Disney’s new whole wheat buns before our trip and I was pretty well annoyed by that because I like white bread.

____

Next time you go to Hollywood/MGM Studios, get the burger at the ABC Commissary. It's not the burger that is good, it is the bread. It is not the usually burger roll - it is just yummy!!!

A while back you got a little testy that I got a MK view room at a dumpster view rate. You asked me to share some photos of the view to see if being at the very far end made any difference.

To me it didnt

MNSSHP

DSC01349_edited-1.jpg

We were lucky to see them testing the Christmas lights

DSC01526_edited-1-1.jpg

And of course - my DH eating the monorail :rotfl2:

DSC01332_edited-1.jpg

looking forward to more of your not a trip report.

Chapter Seven: Feeling Gravy

Disney dining, like most of life, is best enjoyed at a slow pace. But Disney dining, like most of life, is frequently raced through. Because the next thing is coming and you don’t want to miss it.

If you take anything away from reading this, take this: slow down.

If you let yourself, you’ll discover that Disney dining is the thing you came to Disney World for.

Which isn’t to say you didn’t come for Space Mountain. Or Illuminations. You did. But at its simplest, Space Mountain is just a ride. Illuminations just a fireworks/fountain show. You could find those things anywhere. What sets Space Mountain and Illuminations apart is the experience. The theming. The design. The memories of a thousand other times you’ve done it.

So too is Disney dining. Well some of it anyway.

The food isn’t always slap yo mamma good. The place isn’t always spotlessly clean. And in the end, what distinguishes Chef Mickey’s from the Golden Corral (besides the dearth of Phil Fulmer look-a-likes) is the parade of characters, the musical celebration, the sno caps. And the memories of a thousand other times you’ve eaten there.

In other words, Disney dining is the sum of all those things we love about Disney World. But if you race through it, as you are tempted to do, as Disney encourages you to do, then you’ll be more likely to notice that the prime rib wasn’t very tender, the potatoes were tepid and the shrimp was gamey. If you purpose to take your time and enjoy it, not only will you savor the moments when your children are leaping out of their chairs to get to Mickey Mouse, but you’ll also get to enjoy a honkin good piece of cornbread and listen to your family celebrate what was another great day in the World.

Generally speaking, this applies to all of Disney World. And to all of life. With due respect to Thornton Wilder, we do tend to spend too much time racing through it to ever stop and notice how wonderful it all is.

Yeah, there’s merit to running to get Fastpasses for one ride and then racing to get in the stand bye line for another first thing in the morning. But your day can’t be spent doing that. If it is, well then you’ve spent $75 to run a marathon. And I think that’s foolish. You can do that anywhere. For cheaper.

And if you look at what Disney charges you to eat at Garden Grill or Chef Mickey’s, you’d be a fool to race in, scarf it down, and race back out.

This all came to us several years ago. We had breakfast at Crystal Palace first thing in the morning. Before the park opened. So we could be at the end of Mainstreet when the park did open. Great strategy. Only, vacation isn’t strategy. Work is strategy. Vacation is to relax. And it should be savored. That was the most stressful, un-enjoyable breakfast of my life.

I’m a man who loves him some breakfast. It’s the two most important meals of the day.

Breakfast at Crystal Palace is really good. But we couldn’t enjoy it so much. Because there were rides right outside. Taunting us. We raced through the meal, annoyed at how slow the characters moved. It was hectic. It was work.

It sucked.

Like a gas thief on a siphon hose.

I felt like I’d spent way too much money for way too little value. It was that very trip, while laying in a hammock at the All Star Movies that I decided we were either going to stop coming to Disney World or we were going to start doing it a different way.

I decided other things while laying in that hammock. But that was the only relevant epiphany.

This isn't to say that Chef Mickey’s is going to be worth the price if you sit there longer. No amount of time will make the shrimp less fishy tasting. But if you don’t rush through the meal, if you take your time to enjoy the show, then it feels like you’ve had a time. And weren’t at work. I’m not suggesting you start talking to lampposts or kicking down the cobblestones.

Only maybe I am.

The thing we’ve tried to do, and now do almost exclusively, is plan our sit down meals for times when we don’t have much, if anything, to do afterwards. So we can savor the food, enjoy the experience. Relax.

We’ve learned to enjoy Crystal Palace. It's a good meal and a good time, provided there is nothing we’re trying to get to. I schedule it now for either an early dinner when we have a light evening planned or lunch time when we’re heading back to our room afterwards. My wife asserts that whether you enjoy CP depends as much on which side of the room you sit on as what time of day you go. I’d argue with her except one: I’ve never won an argument with the woman, and two: even if there’s no logical nexus, it is true that when we sit on one side, we enjoy the meal; the other side not as much.

It’s a little like Alabama Football: we do better when Democrats are in power. Just going back the last few decades: we won National Championships in ’61, ’64 and ’65: Kennedy and Johnson years. Then again in ’73 under Nixon who was like unto a Democrat. What with the price controls and the political scandals. National Championships again in ’78 and ’79: the Carter years. 1992 was George the Elder, except the country turned towards Bubba in early November, so we’ll count that as Democratic too. And this year, well Bama’s No.1 and Obama is the President-Elect. Is there a connection? My friend Ashclan would say, “everyone does better when the Democrats are in power.” But as with so many other things, she’s just plain wrong.

There’s nary a connection between who's in the White House and Bama’s success. And I don’t believe there’s any connection between where you sit in Crystal Palace and what kind of experience you’re likely to have there either. Only don’t tell Mrs. ZZUB I said that. I’m already in a peck o’ trouble for three other things.

You never know with your kids which characters they’re going to take to, or whether they’re even going to like the characters. I’ve seen my share of little kids FREAKING OUT when the fuzzy faced Pooh comes near them. Fortunately, it’s never been my kids. So I’ve been free to mock the parents of screaming kids who ran away from Tigger.

ZZUBY has gone through phases. She currently has no time for face characters. They annoy her. She doesn’t like when they talk to her. She knows the characters are mostly midgets in fur. She enjoys the conceit. But when face characters start talking to her, then it feels weird I suppose. One time, Alice in Wonderland came up and started talking to us as we were walking into Disneyland. She was just plain creepy. First of all, what was she doing sulking around under the train station? Nice girls don’t hang out in train depots, I don’t care what anyone says. But then Alice was trying to have a conversation with ZZUBY about the castle and, well, it left both me and Mrs. Z with the faint hint of weirdness. Like she wasn’t acting. But actually believed Tinkerbelle had redecorated. I looked towards her handlers and suggested they might want to break her pills in half.

Creepy.

Crystal Palace puts on a nice lunch. It’s buffet of course and you’ll recall my earlier tip that the desserts are not the same on both sides. You’ll be wise to first scout the desserts and then decide how much stomach space you’re going to fill up before you get to that part of your meal. CP has a surprising amount of food and a pretty interesting variety, too. I don’t recall all of what we ate, and I’m not generally a food picture taker. But it seems to me I had multiple helpings of a really good flank steak and some ratatouille. They also serve some kind of cornbread/spoon bread there which was muy delicioso.

ZZUBY and Baby ZZUB loved them some characters. Good night nurse! Baby Z especially. She got full on giddy when they came near her. Holding out her chubby little arms to hold them. And wondering where they went when they walked away. This is Baby ZZUB's "I don't know" expression.

46412c8c.jpg

Because we didn’t have any afternoon plans to speak of, we weren’t in a rush to get out of there. So we got to enjoy a leisurely lunch. And see all the characters. And not feel like we were being hustled on through either.

We had what evidently will be our last lunch at Garden Grill this trip and I’ve got to tell you, that really steams my broccoli. Which I hate. If I’m going to be forced to eat broccoli, it should be boiled until it is so soft it could be mushed with you gums. NOJohnMcCain. Then it should be smothered in cheese. Or butter and garlic. And buried under a mound of mashed potatoes.

Garden Grill was one of our favorite finds a few years ago. It’s great for lunch if you’re planning a quiet afternoon. Or it’s raining. Or you just like to go for a ride while you eat. They’ve now taken the characters away from the GG at lunch time, although I believe they’re still around at dinner.

In any event, this year, like the two before it, we really enjoyed GG. The food is pretty decent and they bring it to you. I love this “family style” dining thing. Although in my family, we don’t get flank steak and turkey on the same plate. And if you want seconds, you’ll be waddling your butt to the kitchen to fix your own plate. And sure as I’m sitting here, no furry characters come around to play with you either.

Except, of course, for the Schpup! who does make nightly appearances at the end of dinner, to remind us that he’s here and he’s hungry and also that he’s not responsible for the hole in the backyard that both me and Baby ZZUB tripped in.

The character interaction at GG is very good. Or it was. Sigh. And at least during lunch, because the restaurant wasn’t very crowded, we saw all of them multiple times. GG was one of the most relaxing meals we had in Disney World.

We ate at Chef Mickey’s twice. Because we could. We ate there once for lunch which sent me into a RAGE! We also ate there for dinner which was much better.

We weren’t planning to eat lunch at Chef Mickey’s. We actually had an ADR someplace else. But it was early in our trip and Baby Z loves her some Guck! And we knew she’d see Donald Guck at Chef Mickey’s. So I stopped at the concierge and asked to get us a lunch at CM’s. I had my pick of times which was cool. They normally don’t serve lunch at CM’s but do during Free Dining. And yet, it was pretty empty.

What no one told me and what I didn’t find out until we got there: the menu was different for lunch.

I WAS OUTRAGED!

I was like Monica Lewinsky’s father the day he saw on the news that his daughter had a “special” blue dress.

I go to Chef Mickey’s for the parmesan potatoes and the semi-fresh peel n’ eat shrimp. And the sno caps.

Guess which one of those three they didn’t have at lunchtime.

If you guessed ALL of them, then you’d be right.

Which evidently only 45.9% of the country is.

I actually stood at the buffet for a minute when I realized there were no parmesan potatoes. I had a plate full of food and just stared where the parmesan potatoes should be. But the space was empty. It was like that scene in Titanic when they open the safe but the large gaudy stone necklace is not in there. I briefly considered asking the old lady next to me to tell us a 4 hour long story which would somehow make up for the missing potatoes but thought better of it. If only James Cameron had my sensibilities.

So I motored on. CMs did have some roasted potatoes which were actually pretty decent.

Crisis averted!

Although the offerings were pared down at lunchtime, the food was as good as it ever is. My girls loved the characters. As it turned out, Mrs. Z was at the buffet when Donald Guck came to our table. When Baby Z saw Donald at the table next to ours, she shouted, “GUCK! GUCK!”

Her cries of “GUCK!” were so loud that the guys working the jackhammer asked her to keep it down because she was hurting their ears. It was so loud, Mrs. Z heard it all the way from the salad bar. She looked our way and bust out laughing. Baby Z hugged on GUCK and gave him lots of kisses on his beak. And quaked at him quite a few times.

As Donald was walking away, Baby Z took off her Croc to show him that he was on her shoe.

93b6bca4.jpg

Because we were in no particular rush, we hung at the table for a while, long enough for the girls to get their fill of the characters. And get their fill of juice. You know, free refills and all.

Here’s Baby ZZUB enjoying her some juice as a matter of fact.

773e187c.jpg

We ate dinner at CMs later in our trip and dinner was every bit as good as it was supposed to be. We had been in Animal Kingdom that day and had nothing planned for our evening. But CMs and then watching Wishes from our balcony.

Can I tell you how cool it is to walk out of your room, go down the elevator and walk to Chef Mickey’s?

The only downside to staying in the Contemporary? I didn’t get to use the hidden, downstairs bathroom at Chef Mickey’s. In some ways, it felt like we hadn’t really eaten there. But I got over it.

We were seated on a different side of the restaurant for dinner and again had really good character interaction.

Can you tell my kids love dogs?

3814aa5e.jpg

We lingered over dessert because we were in no rush. We ordered coffee and hot tea and had several plates of Schpupin sized desserts. If hanging out and taking some time is vacation to us, then making a ridiculously sloppy and over-full sundae is vacation for ZZUBY. We never let her do this in the real world. But at Disney World, we relax some rules. I went with ZZUBY to fix her sundae and she more or less filled a bowl with gummy bears, choc chips, choc sauce and some choc ice-cream. She is so my daughter.

As evidenced by the shirt.

53cb6112.jpg

Note the food stain on her shirt.

While we were eating dinner, ZZUBY took some pictures. Including this one of her mom and dad.

474e6ad9.jpg

We're making the V for victory. Why? Because we’re mocking people, of course. Just before our vacation, we got invited over to see our friends’ vacation pictures. In every picture of them, they were flashing the V. Eventually we asked, “what’s with the V?” And they said, “everyone in Japan does that.” Which was irrelevant because they were visiting Mexico. Only they weren’t either.

I’m actually mocking two people at once. Our neighbor flashed me the sideways V one night as we passed them on our street. Which made me laugh because I think he thinks he’s cooler than he really is. I’ve been returning the sideways V to him ever since.

For all I know, I’m in a gang now.

But judging by my neighbor, it would have to be a very nerdy gang. Of gangly men. Who don't mow their lawn very well.

Our least favorite meal: 1900 Park Faire. Again. Third time we've eaten there. Third time we've been underwhelmed. It was a big pile of steaming crap, served on a crappy plate, in a crapeteria style room, with crappy characters and a family that fell out of a Ralph Lauren ad sitting next to us. Getting drunk. The way nice families do. Evidently.

Hands down, we all hated this meal. And yet, I found the food to actually be a large improvement over the last time we ate there, but the characters were as annoying as feta cheese. The atmosphere was loud but not in a fun way like Chef Mickey’s or Crystal Palace. It was more like a Shiva when your aunts and uncles have had too much Mogen David and are telling stories no one needs to hear.

We put an X on 1900 Park Faire. Which in the ZZUB house means something really bad! It should not be confused with flashing a V. Even a sideways one. If you get X’d by a ZZUB, you may as well close up shop. Say your prayers and call for your pastor. You’re gonna need him when you’ve gotten the X from a Z.

Trust me on this.

We got to return to Trails End again this trip. I hesitate to write about how much we like this place because the last thing I want to happen is for it to become hard to get into. So I’ll just say this, the nice thing about Trails End is that you almost always will find a hair in your food and you can use it to floss with.

And more people voted for Cynthia McKinney than have died there.

If you like Sonny’s then Trails End is for you. But it’s not just the really good comfort food they serve, they also have some fantastic sweet tea, served in a Ball jar the way it’s supposed to be. The corn bread rivals the corned beef at Too Jays Deli for excellent foods with the word “corn” in them.

If I say their brownies rock hard, will you think me a fool?

As good as the ribs and fried chicken and corn bread and sweet tea are, we like the atmosphere there just as much. Riding over on the boat from the CR boat dock, pulling up to Ft. Wilderness and walking the path to Trails End is about as Disney as it gets.

I’ve eaten in the castle. It was nothing compared to Trails End. And that’s the truth.

But you should NEVER eat there. On account of the monthly outbreaks of tuberculosis, Norovirus and small pox.

Which is to say NOTHING of the old ladies playing mah jong.

Every trip we aim to try out a new place. This trip we tried two: Tutto Italia and Ohana. One of them we really liked and one of them was fair to middling. NOWallE.

I reckon you’ll have to come back in a few weeks to find out which is which.

And about this dessert that made me dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.

____

We’ve learned to enjoy Crystal Palace. It's a good meal and a good time, provided there is nothing we’re trying to get to. I schedule it now for either an early dinner when we have a light evening planned or lunch time when we’re heading back to our room afterwards. My wife asserts that whether you enjoy CP depends as much on which side of the room you sit on as what time of day you go. I’d argue with her except one: I’ve never won an argument with the woman, and two: even if there’s no logical nexus, it is true that when we sit on one side, we enjoy the meal; the other side not as much.

This is my DS’s fav. The ONLY place that he will actively engage with characters. We’ve sat on both sides. FTR, we tend to go to the right. (I know...me going to the right. :lmao: ) That’s where Tigger sang (okay…mimed) him Happy Birthday. *sniffle*

This is Baby ZZUB's "I don't know" expression.

Baby Z has pinch yo’self she’s so cute arms. Cute Z!

I go to Chef Mickey’s for the parmesan potatoes and the semi-fresh peel n’ eat shrimp. And the sno caps.

What??? No mini-cheesecakes??? Then you don’t know the goodness that is CM’s.

We're making the V for victory. Why? Because we’re mocking people, of course. Just before our vacation, we got invited over to see our friends’ vacation pictures. In every picture of them, they were flashing the V. Eventually we asked, “what’s with the V?” And they said, “everyone in Japan does that.” Which was irrelevant because they were visiting Mexico. Only they weren’t either.

Ahhhh…I work in a high school. That’s not the V. You’re throwin’ up the deuces. Next thing ya’ know…you’re going to be greeting us on your not-a-TR with: “Sup foo?”

For all I know, I’m in a gang now.

Probably. Just in case…don’t wear red on Thursdays. And definitely…no pink. Ever.

Our least favorite meal: 1900 Park Faire. Again. Third time we've eaten there. Third time we've been underwhelmed. It was a big pile of steaming crap, served on a crappy plate, in a crapeteria style room, with crappy characters and a family that fell out of a Ralph Lauren ad sitting next to us. Getting drunk. The way nice families do. Evidently.

But, didja eat some of the strawberry soup? Almost made the $100 I dropped on the meal for just me and my DS worth it. ALMOST. We HAD to go…with my niece. It was girl’s choice. And ftr…boys don’t like Cinderella. At least not when they’re 11. :rolleyes:

Toodles. See ya' in a few.

*throwin' up the deuces* (definitely, NOT the V!)

WDW dining is always my favorite part of the trip. I dive into restaurant reviews, make ADRs, ask for advice, change some ADRs, etc. (the cycle continues over and over). I relish in the planning (NOhotdogs).

I agree savor the moments...your advice should be taken by all. The quality of the food doesn't compare to the excitement the little ones show at seeing their favorite furry (and sometimes not so furry) characters.

Thanks for the early installment!:)

First of all, this was a great installment. LOVED seeing the pics. Cause NM loves her some pics. Even if all I could see was the chubby hands of what could be the cutest baby I've never seen.

And the biggest class ring of all time. Did you play in the Superbowl once? And win?

But the part that sucks is that it's not Monday morning. My only Monday morning in a really long time to have a nice cup of coffee and a ZZUB installment. And I could have had it, too. But here I am looking at the freakin' Braves spring training schedule, and BAM! There's ZZUB's latest.

So since I'm here...

ZZUB said:
That was the most stressful, un-enjoyable breakfast of my life.

Been there, done that one. And you're right. It's miserable. Unless you look at it ONLY for the early entrance to Magic Kingdom on the day after Thanksgiving. And you decide as a family that you don't care what characters you've missed when it's time to bolt. Cause on the day after Thanksgiving at the MK, it's worth the cost of the meal just to get ahead of the game.

This is Baby ZZUB's "I don't know" expression.

That's absolutely adorable!

I actually stood at the buffet for a minute when I realized there were no parmesan potatoes. I had a plate full of food and just stared where the parmesan potatoes should be. But the space was empty. It was like that scene in Titanic when they open the safe but the large gaudy stone necklace is not in there. I briefly considered asking the old lady next to me to tell us a 4 hour long story which would somehow make up for the missing potatoes but thought better of it. If only James Cameron had my sensibilities.

This WOULD have made me laugh outloud if I hadn't moved the computer upstairs close to the bedroom. Where my honey has already drifted off to sleep. Great paragraph.

As Donald was walking away, Baby Z took off her Croc to show him that he was on her shoe.

SHE IS TOO CUTE!!!! I love that pic. Even if she isn't in it. That's so precious that she took her shoe off to show Donald.

(And psssst...there's a mispelled word in the sentence above the one I quoted.)

I don't know about calling it the "V" for victory in Japan, but in the US of A, more specifically, in the 4th grade in Macon, GA, that's the sign for "peace out." And it's in almost every freakin' picture my daughter and her friends are in. You and your wife with the long hair looked super hip doing it.

If you like Sonny’s then Trails End is for you.

Then why in the HECK have the NMs never been to Trail's End?

ZZUB, this was a good installment. Which is so redundant. They all are. Loved the sneak peek perfectly cropped pics of you and the Mrs. and the girls. Even if I can't see your faces, the pics really do help to set the scene.

And you are so right about the Disney restaurants. Mostly, they are nothing special. But we're every bit as excited about them, as we are the rides and the resorts. Why else would we have no trouble booking them 180 days out?

Looking forward to your next update. I have an idea which you liked, simply because you're ZZUB and I think one fits you better than the other.

Oh well. Even if this wasn't Monday morning and I'm not enjoying my hot cup of coffee, I was still happy to see you had posted.

Peace out.

Zzub, I am convinced you could write the warnings on how to properly use toothpicks and they would be enjoyable! Can't wait for more!:thumbsup2

Really enjoying your (non)TR so far:thumbsup2 . Taking alot more interest:surfweb: since we're considering changing our holiday from June to August next year to take advantage of the free dining offer:cloud9: .

BTW that V sign in the UK is very very rude:scared: ...not so much if you tip it on to it's side though:rotfl2:

I am now going to browse all 406 pictures that I took while in Disney and see if any families in the background have a hairy arm, long flowing hair, and two little girls with cute hands....:rolleyes1

And I'm in on the Trail's End secret. But I won't tell if you won't tell.

<

Disney dining, like most of life, is best enjoyed at a slow pace. But Disney dining, like most of life, is frequently raced through. Because the next thing is coming and you don’t want to miss it.

If you take anything away from reading this, take this: slow down.

If you let yourself, you’ll discover that Disney dining is the thing you came to Disney World for.

Truer words have ne'er been spoken. :thumbsup2

Breakfast at Crystal Palace is really good. But we couldn’t enjoy it so much. Because there were rides right outside. Taunting us. We raced through the meal, annoyed at how slow the characters moved. It was hectic. It was work.

And truthfully, eating should never be that much work. I know exactly what you mean. :thumbsup2

I decided other things while laying in that hammock. But that was the only relevant epiphany.

Am I the only one who wants to know what those other things were, or is everyone else to scared to enter the inner workings of ZZUB's mind?

The thing we’ve tried to do, and now do almost exclusively, is plan our sit down meals for times when we don’t have much, if anything, to do afterwards. So we can savor the food, enjoy the experience. Relax.

It's the best way. Truly. One of my favorite dining experiences from our last trip was Chef Mickey's. Not only because it's Chef Mickey's, but because we book one of the last possible breakfast ADRs and just take our time. It's breakfast but, it's like lunch because it's later.

And I love me some breakfast for lunch. And doing it that way, on a day when we had no other plans other than MNSSHP that night, we're in no rush to get anywhere, and have all the time in the world to enjoy that meal, and enjoy our son with the characters, just like you enjoyed your sweet baby girls. :goodvibes

Lookie here! A Baby ZZUB forearm! Now it's REALLY a trip report...non trip rep...oh, you get the idea.

Garden Grill was one of our favorite finds a few years ago. It’s great for lunch if you’re planning a quiet afternoon. Or it’s raining. Or you just like to go for a ride while you eat. They’ve now taken the characters away from the GG at lunch time, although I believe they’re still around at dinner.

Well, I've learned something new about you and your family today. And that little tidbit is that your digestive systems are much, much stronger than mine and my brethren's.

Because we tried the Garden Grill, not once, but twice. Because the character interaction was so good. I mean, I had some great fun there.

But sadly, each time resulted in number fours.

Big ones.

For ever single member of my party. :sad2:

Bet you didn't know that other people were capable of such potency, but given the right ammo, well...:rolleyes1

When Baby Z saw Donald at the table next to ours, she shouted, “GUCK! GUCK!”

Love it. Love the image of that sweet little peanut calling for her favorite guck.

Oh, my word, it's MRS. Z! She does exist! ;)

We got to return to Trails End again this trip. I hesitate to write about how much we like this place because the last thing I want to happen is for it to become hard to get into.

I don't think I've ever eaten here. I may need to (not) try it. ;)

Every trip we aim to try out a new place. This trip we tried two: Tutto Italia and Ohana. One of them we really liked and one of them was fair to middling. NOWallE.

And about this dessert that made me dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.

____

Well, you leave me with a cliffhanger like that and now I'm a wonderin'.

Love your dining review, though I am disappointed to hear how awful 1900 Park Faire is. I have never been, but recently learned that's where the amazing stepsisters hang out, and I was hoping to eventually eat there just to meet them. But hmmmm, your review makes me think twice.
The pictures of your littlest one are so cute - especially when she pulls off her shoe to show Donald. Darling!

We got to return to Trails End again this trip. I hesitate to write about how much we like this place because the last thing I want to happen is for it to become hard to get into. So I’ll just say this, the nice thing about Trails End is that you almost always will find a hair in your food and you can use it to floss with.

I am so glad, I ate there before I read this.

My dh loved Trails End. We got there at 11:30 a.m. for our 12 ADR. We were let in to a very empty place. My first thought was~~if no one is here the food has to suck. But my dh declared it the best. We both thought, all the campers bring their own food, so if there is a resturant on premises, it better be good and it better be cheap. He had the breakfast and I had the lunch. Desserts did rock.

Then, I told him about the path between Fort Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge. We foolishly found it and walked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter