The Battle For My Wallet IV: Return of the ZZUBs (Addendum, p.85; 07/12)

Okay, now I have to try one of these pineapple whippy things. But I will repeat to myself, do not think about zzub, do not think about zzub!

I've read many a trip report and have always seen your name right up there with the best, but as of yesterday I hadn't read yours. Well I have done nothing else the past 24 hrs other than read this report and sleep. I even made my DH cook supper which I normally have ready after his 1 1/2 hr work commute.How bad is that?
I wait eagerly for your next installment.
:hippie: Elisa

ZZUB said:
Of course I took it. It was free, remember? But that doesn’t mean I had to like it.

You mean to tell me you met a cake you didn't like? This is shocking and disappointing. MK cake HAS to be better than convenience store cake.

And even if the food was free, that’s no reason not to criticize it. I don’t pay for the food when we have dinner at a friend’s house. But that’s never stopped me from complaining about the dried out chicken or flavorless pasta the minute the car door closes and we are backing out of their driveway.

This made me laff SO HARD. Because it's SO TRUE. Someone is nice enough to invite you into their home, and the minute you're in the car with just your spouse, the slicing and dicing begins.

We got off and she asked if we could ride again. She’s spoiled now. She thinks we can ride any ride she likes at least twice in a row.

You'll definitely want to keep your trips limited to the less busy seasons. Try that move at Thanksgiving, and your wife will be better off to head back to the resort and take a nap while you do it.

Because 200 times a night some lost looking yobo walks up and inquires about a Dole Whip.

Your gonna make fun of "makes my socks go up and down" and then you bring "yobo?" Is that the same as do-do? Or yo-yo? Or yahoo? Cause all of those I've heard. But not "yobo."

I know LaLa has written about her quest for a Dole Whip as well. Which really makes her life look kind of pathetic, don’t you think?

And here you go again. You admit on a public message board that you have a dog with a speech impediment - that you created for him - and your gonna call my LaLa's life pathetic lookin'?

For my part, I thought it was pretty freaking good. I scarfed mine down and then finished off hers. Then I turned and snuck a lick off the Whip of the lady standing next to me.

But only to keep it from melting.

Only you, ZZUB. Only you can describe eating a Dole Whip and make it this funny. And the mental image of you sneaking a lick off the next door neighbor's Whip is just hysterical.

You're good, friend. And this was one of your best. Keep it comin'...

NM :flower3:

Too bad about the dessert at Pecos. A few weeks ago, after a yummy, fully loaded taco salad we were given haagen dazs ice cream bars for our dining plan dessert.

You'll have to try it again next time

As always, thanks for the chuckles, licks and all

In the buffet line of trip reports, yours is the juicy fried chicken dinner. Accompanied by potatoes and bread . . . one helping. And no salad. The food is always hot and nicely seasoned with pithy comments and subtle humor. But I think I'll have a cup of coffee now and bypass the dessert line in your buffet. In fact, I need to go wash up after reading that slobbery melted Dole Whip description. ;)

Another great installment from the Zubster! Now I know I gotta try two kinds of Dole Whip!

Your TR is so FUNNY...after just reading your last installment I had to comment about the infamous Dole Whip. We were at the World over Memorial Day weekend and got a Whip at the POLY's food court, it was our first too. We only got one to try it to see if we would like it and well me, DH and DD9 shared it. It was INCREDIBLE! However, I was not aware that I had a virus and passed it to both of them.:sick: So the moral to this story is, now that I've got an education on the Saliva treat, NO licking each other's Whip's!! :rotfl: :)

Zzub, where are you?popcorn:: :rolleyes1 We are patiently waiting for another installment.

whew - I had a lot of catching up to do...

now humming S & G tunes in my brain and wondering how closely I've listened to the words...??

Zzub - you are the best at painting a picture for us. I too was in the boat with you (we have our own and it does go fast so if you're ever this way, come on by) and although I never did Disney with my family as a kid, we did have a trip we took to a Dude Ranch for four years that I would love to recreate with my family...totally with you on the photographs and memories...

and I, in the minority it appears, don't see a problem with licking the dole whip. Dare I ask if all the other posters kiss their spouses??

Thanks for another entertaining evening :thumbsup2

Chapter Twenty Five: Who Would Turn Down Turn Down?

I finished our snacks before the parade even made its way to us. The rains came hard and more people crowded into our little shack. I chatted up the DVC lady. She was nice. Very informative. Obsequious without being pushy. But when it became obvious to her that I was not interested in buying into Disney’s most overly advertised and worst kept secret, her attitude changed. With her mouth she said, “enjoy the parade,” but with her eyes she more or less told me I was no longer invited to join. Then she added insult to injury, “I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.” But I knew what she meant. We all knew what she meant.

Finally, The Readers Digest Condensed Version of Spectromagic reached us. It was three floats and then the post parade rope collectors. Who had no interesting lights that changed colors. They also didn’t spin. Or freak out small children with their weird, light up faces.

Remember this: if it’s raining they might still run Spectromagic, but it will be over faster than Larry Birkhead’s fifteen minutes.

Larry who? Exactly.

In other words, if it’s raining, don’t wait for Spectromagic. Ride the rides. For the love of a red poncho, ride the freaking rides.

By the time Spectro was finished, which was 8 seconds after it began, we headed to Mainstreet to watch Wishes! one last time. Yeah, we were tired, and a little wet and there might have been some crankiness, but it was our last night in the Magic Kingdom. You don’t rush out on that. And if you do, then you’re an idiot. Or you have an annual pass and you know you’ll be back in 3 days. But if you’re like some of us who only come once a year, you savor the last few moments in the MK. Even if you’re tired and your dogs are barking.

We went to our usual cross-street spot and waited for the show. Everyone stands in the middle of Mainstreet now. We stayed close to the side just in case my little girl remembered that she doesn’t like loud noises.

My wife was in S!’s wheelchair and she wanted to stay on the sidewalk. So I took my little girl and stepped out into the street a few feet away from the curb so we could watch the show.

I won’t bore you with all the details. Partly because this chapter will be long enough and partly because some stories are just for me.

I know that’s hard to believe. Especially after the Teppanyaki/Canada episode. But I actually do keep some things for myself.

After Wishes! the crowd turned angry and barged towards the exits like they didn't want to miss their chance to spit on the last episode of the Sopranos. I put my little girl in my wife’s lap and pushed Schpupin’s wheelchair towards the exits.

[I don't watch the Soprano's. But I hear things]

Nothing happened on the way out. Yeah, I mean sure, there might have been some gentle pushing, even gentile pushing, maybe a little shoving, a random wheelchair slam into the ankles of some moron who tempted fate by jumping in front of me, but apart from those things, nothing really happened.

We got through the exit and walked a few feet towards the Lodge boat dock. There was a bit of a crowd but once the boat pulled up, we were all able to get on. The ride back to the Lodge was again really pleasant. Say what you want about how long it takes to get there on the boat, it’s still a relaxing way to travel from the MK back to your hotel. Beats the heck out of a ride on the busses.

But what doesn’t? Here is my partial list of places I’d rather be instead of waiting on and riding one of Disney’s busses:

1. Tehran
2. Between Michael Moore and a box of Twinkies
3. Licking the floor of any public restroom
4. Grooming Geraldo Rivera’s mustache
5. Explaining to Bill O’Reilly that he’s arrogant. And maybe a little obtuse.
6. At the Hardees in Auburn, AL or Knoxville, TN
7. Reading an article describing the nefarious effects of a diet pill which causes oily leakage from a part of the body that shouldn't leak such things.

During our week at the Lodge, we had been enjoying a little service Disney laughingly refers to as “turn down service.” If you’ve ever stayed at a nice hotel (and by nice I am including the Hilton), you’ve probably experienced real turn down service. They turn your bed down, fluff your pillows, fill your ice bucket, set out fresh towels, dim the lights and set either the radio or tv to some appropriate mood-setting music.

I’ve never quite figured out what mood they were trying to set, but I’ve appreciated the effort.

At Walt Disney World, turn down service consists of the following:

The bed is turned down and some person with hands of questionable cleanliness re-arranges your pillows. It looks like this:

298a28a2.jpg

They also put chocolate mints on your bed. Contain yourselves.

If you’re lucky, your kid’s stuffed animals will be arranged in an artful display.

If by “artful” we mean any 5 year old would set her animals up this way.

It’s yet another example of how Disney charges more for less but we continue to pay it because it’s Disney.

So why do we ask for turn down service if it’s so lame?

Because it’s free! Haven’t you been paying attention?! It’s like extra towels. You ALWAYS ask for extra towels and if turn down service is available, then dadgummit! you ask for it.

Also, there is a certain excitement when you come back to your room every night. You wonder what disgusting hands have man-handled your pillow and done unspeakable things with your toothbrush as vengeance for the hell you unleashed on some hapless Cast Member in desperate search of a register journal.

Sorry. That was last year’s Trip Report. This one has been going on so long, even I can’t remember what happened when.

I’ve been winging it since January.

There actually was some excitement for my daughter who wondered what her animal friends were up to while we were gone. The night we returned from the MK, we found this:

01d72e0b.jpg

Cute, isn’t it? Well worth the additional money we paid to stay in a so-called Deluxe hotel. It occurs to me that the whole resort classification nomenclature is in desperate need of reworking. I say call them what they really are:

Overpriced But Not Offensively So: (e.g. All Stars) for the family willing to pay Radisson prices for a Days Inn experience provided the right amount of Disney Loud is splashed about. At least you’re “on property” and entitled to all of the perks and benefits that entitles you to. Both of them.

Overpriced: (e.g. Port Orleans) for the family willing to pay Hilton prices for a Comfort Inn experience. These properties are targeted to the families who, in addition to wanting a bed in their rooms, also want a refrigerator. And a slide at the pool. Perhaps a surrey bike ride or two.

Offensively Overpriced: (e.g. Wilderness Lodge) for the family who insists on interior corridors and the hope of a bunk bed. Willing to pay twice as much as the room is worth simply for the Disney theming but will tell others it’s for the convenience or for the additional space (which best I can tell is all in the bathroom), or for the food options.

Obnoxiously Ostentatiously Offensively Overpriced: (e.g. Grand Floridian) for the family who insists on the best Disney has to offer even though it pales in comparison with the similarly priced Ritz Carlton, JW Marriot or Four Seasons. These hotels are for people who are more tolerant of the less-for-more Disney business model.

Anyhoo.

My daughter was downright giddy about her animal friends and set out to play with them. I popped open a Yoo Hoo, kicked off my sneakers and peeled my socks off my feet. The smell was bad enough to make the French surrender. In other words, not that bad after all.

In your face, Canada bathroom!

We had some planning to do. We were supposed to be in MGM the next day, our last full day at Disney. But I wasn’t feeling the MGM love. My wife couldn’t ride Rock'n Rollercoaster and we don’t ride Tower of Terror. While I enjoyed Lights, Motors, Action, it was hardly a reason to go to MGM. I didn’t want to send it chocolates and flowers.

I’ve never sent my wife chocolates, by the way.

Do people send chocolates anymore?

My wife and I chewed around on our options. We could press on to MGM as planned or do something else entirely. We used to love MGM. LOVE IT! Sneak a kiss between classes and write sickening love prose at 3:00 in the morning because you can’t sleep for thinking about it, love it. The kind of love that inspires movies starring the likes of Julia Roberts. When she was pretty. But anymore, MGM has become like what we used to think of EPCOT. Sucky.

There’s yet another word I’m not allowed to use at home anymore.

Add it to the list with: fart, pissed off, turd, crap, dangit! and jerkstore.

MGM just seems so desperate, like it’s begging for your approval. “Look I’ve got Rock’n Rollercoaster! I’ve got Little Mermaid!!! Please don’t hate me for the Backstage Tour or Sounds Dangerous or the unbelievably lame and dated Indiana Jones Stunt Show or the cloying Beauty & the Beast show. Feh!

In other words, we weren’t all gung ho about our former love. Turns out, my mom was right. It was just a crush.

So we did something we’d never done before. We asked my daughter which park she wanted to go to. This in part fulfilled something in me. I’ve always wanted to be a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of guy. Spontaneous. I’m just not that guy. I’m studied, deliberate, planned out. Also: rigid, demanding, exacting and flatulent.

Yet another reason I remain, fondly, ZZUB.

We invited my little girl into the conversation and asked her which park she’d want to go visit on our last day.

“What are my choices?” she asked.
“Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, MGM or Animal Kingdom.”
“Remind me which park has what rides, Daddy.”

I ran down the list for her of the rides I knew she liked.

She hemmed. She hawed. She would have Hee-Hawed if we tolerated such things. But we don’t. We don’t tolerate 70’s era redneck TV shows any more than we tolerate hypocrisy, Mike Shula, Democratic politics or the ginger sauce at Teppanyaki.

Also: dairy. Perhaps. I’ll keep you posted.

I watched the wheels turning in her little head as she tried to make a decision. I think she was wrestling with the idea that SHE got to make the decision. However, after several minutes, I advised her she needed to make the call. The invitation to choose wouldn’t stay open forever.

“Ok, Daddy. I know which park I want to go to,” she said.

Her answer surprised me.

Because it was exactly the park I wanted to go to as well.

:moped:

Hot dang I get to be the first to post on the latest Zzub installment. I am honored!!! (no wait I'm not, although I was when I started this)

Another great one, Zzub, you are the master of the trippie. Some definite LOL funny in this one. I especially liked:

But what doesn’t? Here is my partial list of places I’d rather be instead of waiting on and riding one of Disney’s busses:

1. Tehran
2. Between Michael Moore and a box of Twinkies
3. Licking the floor of any public restroom
4. Grooming Geraldo Rivera’s mustache
5. Explaining to Bill O’Reilly that he’s arrogant. And maybe a little obtuse.
7. Reading an article describing the nefarious effects of a diet pill which
causes oily leakage from a part of the body that shouldn't

Or perhaps this:
My daughter was downright giddy about her animal friends and set out to play with them. I popped open a Yoo Hoo, kicked off my sneakers and peeled my socks off my feet. The smell was bad enough to make the French surrender. In other words, not that bad after all.

In your face, Canada bathroom!

Thanks for the laughs. Looking forward to the next chapter!!!

“Ok, Daddy. I know which park I want to go to,” she said.

Her answer surprised me.

:moped:

That is soooooo not cool.

A cliff hanger in Lost, NCIS . . . and now you too.

OMG ZZUB, I can't believe you have only one more day of vacation. Hurry up
and take another vacation so we can read about it. You are the best. Too, too funny. You will have to come up with something to write about to keep us entertained. Please, ZZUB, Please. :rotfl2:

ZZUB said:
Or you have an annual pass and you know you’ll be back in 3 days.

And why wouldn't you come back so quickly? It's FREE for goodness sake!!

Say what you want about how long it takes to get there on the boat, it’s still a relaxing way to travel from the MK back to your hotel. Beats the heck out of a ride on the busses.

I'll definitely give you that. It is a pleasant, if not soothing, way to return to the Lodge. Because by then, you've thrown the hugely successful plan of the day in the trash and you've moved on in your mind. No time crunch left.

OK. That's a lie. I'm still time crunching. Even getting back just to go to sleep. I can't help it. It's a Disney thing.

If you’ve ever stayed at a nice hotel (and by nice I am including the Hilton), you’ve probably experienced real turn down service. They turn your bed down, fluff your pillows, fill your ice bucket, set out fresh towels, dim the lights and set either the radio or tv to some appropriate mood-setting music.

They do that at the Grand Floridian. See? Maybe it's not so ostentatiously overpriced, afterall.

The animals are really cute. But what is that crap on the blanket up towards the pillow? Hopefully, just a shadow. Or the hands were of "questionable cleanliness," indeed.

There’s yet another word I’m not allowed to use at home anymore.

Add it to the list with: fart, pissed off, turd, crap, dangit! and jerkstore.

Here are some suitable replacements from the NM household.

Toot, livid, loaf, snap, squat! and moron.

Yeah, I know. Somehow they just don't make the same statement.

Her answer surprised me.

I'm gonna call Epicot with one more go 'round on Soarin'. I'd bet money on it.

ZZUB!!!! Great installment!! I loved the reclassification of the Disney resorts. Although a couple of them might have stung a little.

And I didn't quote everything that made me laff hysterically. Some things are just for me.

Thanks for sharing your report with us, ZZUB. It makes me said to know that you've only got one more day. But somehow I think you might be able to stretch it out for a while. At least I hope so.

NM :3dglasses

Fantastic. I've read all your reports over the last month and you are definitely one of the best writers on the DIS. The fact that you would rather be between Michael Moore and a box of Twinkies than be on a Disney bus cracked me up. Can't wait for more, I wonder what park your daughter chose!

Oh, that hurt! I hope you just mean the Hardee's and not Knoxville in general!!

Another great chapter.

Please don't make us wait so long for another one. :hourglass

YAY!!! Good chapter :)

I love your munchkins stuffed animal collection...did funshine Bear a get an owie that required a band aid while at Disney or was this a long term owie? My little step son has twin puppies too...with the same name...Ian and Ian...but one of the Ian's is pronounced with a stronger and longer E and N...Ian and EEEEaNNNNN...see the difference?

*ahem*

I am just DYING to hear which park y'all picked...oh the anticipation! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

can't wait!popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter