The Battle For My Wallet III: The Smell of Free Dining (Addendum, pg 34)

Chapter 10:

We exited Le Celllier about 45 minutes before Illuminations. We walked a little ways and found a spot on the railing to watch the show. I pushed the stroller up to the edge of the railing and we stood behind it. As is usually the case at Disney World, when waiting for the fireworks or a ride, you end up striking up a conversation with total strangers. The people next to us were from South Carolina. Now on this particular day, Alabama played South Carolina. When I was planning our trip, I had given serious consideration to leaving Epcot during the afternoon and going to ESPN to watch the game. But when South Carolina came so close to beating Georgia, it occurred to me that Steve Spurrier’s team might beat us and I didn’t want to watch that. No. As long as we were in Disney World, I wouldn’t contend with any losses. So we stayed in the park and I didn't get near a TV or radio. So when the South Carolina people told us where they were from, I told them I went to Alabama. Mr. South Carolina grimaced and his wife said, “Boy y’all put a whuppin on us todaaaay.” I love the south. Only in the south do people appreciate a good whupin.
“We won?!” I asked trying not to sound too excited.
“Ahh yeah. Y’all beat us goooood.” Mr. South Carolina responded.
“Well Roll Tide!” I said, because I’m a redneck. “It’s a Disney Miracle!”

I explained how I had little faith in my Tide and so I refused to ruin my vacation. He explained how he had too much faith in his Gamecocks and they actually went back to the room to watch. We then talked about football for a while. I can see your eyes glazing over so I’ll move on.

At some point my daughter woke up and announced she was hungry. There was a McDonald’s hut nearby. I asked my daughter if she wanted a hamburger. She said she did and I walked to the McD’s to get a burger. No soup for me. They only sell McNuggets. Can someone explain to me why a McDonald's only sells McNuggets? That's not the first thing anyone thinks of when they think of McD's. No, we think burgers. I walked back to my wife and daughter and the sad people from South Carolina and asked my little girl if she wanted McNuggets. “I want a haaaambuuuuurger.” She whined. “Alright,” I said. So I went in search of a burger. This was a theme park, how hard can it be to find a burger?! By this point, the walkway around the lake was getting quite crowded. Also, I’m not certain, but I think I witnessed some gang activity. In any event, it felt less like Disney World and more like the local mall.

I walked clear around to Future World and while I walked, I noticed that the pre-Illuminations music had changed. About a year ago, I discovered Live365.com and one of the stations plays An Evening At Epcot every night from 5:30 to 6:30 PST. I’m usually in my office at that time of day and I had gotten in the habit of listening to that music. So I’m quite familiar with what music I was supposed to be hearing at this moment. Instead there was some new music which might be ok except it wasn’t what I was expecting. And also, I had not yet found a hamburger. I turned around and headed the other way. Along the way I passed Mel HappyHaunt sitting on a bench wearing nothing but a sleeping bag. Her husband ran past me wearing what I thought was a pair of her sweats. It was all very strange.

Defeated, I returned back to my wife and daughter without anything meaningful for my daughter to eat. When I got back to where they were, there was a strange woman standing behind our stroller. I don’t mean strange as in I didn’t recognize her although I didn’t, but strange as in, odd looking. Wearing sun glasses at night. Cue Corey Hart.

I asked my wife who she was and she didn’t know. My wife is too polite to ever say, “Excuse me, but who are you and why are you standing behind my stroller?!” So I politely said, “Excuse me.” She ignored me. I said again, “Excuse me.” Again, a shoulder. “Ma’am, would you mind if I stand next to my wife behind our stroller?” She made a face as if I had just farted, which I hadn’t, and she took a baby step to her right. Ok, fine, I can squeeze in. Really, I was more focused on the lack of any meaningful food to give my daughter. My wife and I discussed the lack of food in my hands and I suggested just getting her some McNuggets anyway. My wife said, “She’s not stupid; she’ll know that’s not a hamburger.” “I’m not suggesting we trick her. I’m suggesting that if she’s hungry enough, the McNuggets will do.” My daughter keyed into our conversation at this point and announced, “I don’t want McNuggets!” So my wife produced a box of cereal from her back pack and suggested my daughter munch on that until we could find her something to eat. She liked that idea. Who wouldn’t? It was Fruit Loops for crying out loud. You could live indefinitely on those things.

By this point, Illuminations was about to start. My sister and one of my nephews came walking up and joined us. We were crowded behind the stroller pretty tightly and I was standing so closely to the strange woman that I could hear her inner monologue. She was wondering whether the rumors were true about Nick and Jessica's marital problems. I noticed she was smallish and we could easily see over her, so I asked her if she’d like for me to move our stroller so she could stand at the railing. Her face lit up as if I had just given her my seat on the bus. She stepped aside so I could back the stroller out of the way and she walked up to the railing. My wife, daughter, sister and nephew and I stood shoulder to shoulder behind her. The show started and not long into it, my daughter decided she didn’t like fireworks again. I’d forgotten how loud and in your face Illuminations is. You can feel it in your chest. I think that’s cool; my daughter could live without it. So my wife took her and moved back behind us. After a few minutes they went and hid in the bathroom.

So Illuminations wasn’t the idyllic family moment for the Zzub’s. Worse things have happened in our lives. Auburn has beaten us four years in a row. My wife and daughter walked back to us and we hung out for a while letting most of the crowd out ahead of us. We eventually joined the unwashed masses and headed to the park exit and our bus stop. I hate, hate, HATE the end of the day bus ride. You’re stuck in a crowd of sweaty people, many of whom can’t remember the last time they applied a deodorant. Most are rather tired. Some cuss freely. In the distance a baby is crying.

You know this is your fate when you’re stuck in the middle of a crowd heading out of a park. You know what’s waiting for you. It’s not so nice. So we walk and walk and walk and finally get to our bus stop. The line was surprisingly small (it was like the crowd for a Pac 10 football team v. the crowd for an SEC team). There were two teenaged boys in front of us, their pants clearly too big. This raised two questions, 1. why would you wear pants to Epcot in what is essentially a summer month, and 2. if you are going to wear pants, shouldn’t they fit? Can someone explain to me the allure of wearing pants 8 sizes too large for you so that you’re constantly having to hold them up? It doesn’t look good and I can’t imagine it feels good either. At least in my day acid washed jeans were aesthetically appealing and not uncomfortable.

A bus arrived and we squeezed in. Someone gave up their seat for my wife and daughter and I stood holding a barely folded up stroller. I was facing backwards and the couple sitting in the seat in front of me were on their honeymoon. They had been in Disney World for a week and were leaving in the morning. They were from Canada.

As the Canadian Honeymooners were regaling me with tales of their trip and a drunken wedding reception, I was noticing that the trip back to PORiverside was taking a little long. PORiverside is not that far from Epcot and it was taking way too long to get back there. I looked out the bus window and saw Downtown Disney. No lie. Our driver got lost and we were headed past DTD towards the DTD hotels. He made a U-turn and headed back. The Canadian Honeymooners were oblivious to how lost we were and continued talking. Pictures and cake. Lots of drunk people and a funny wedding video. I feigned interest and nodded at all the appropriate moments. I've been married for a few years. I know how to do this. Eventually our driver found his way to our hotel and we got off the bus. The Canadian Honeymooners were still talking.

Into the food court we go and we finally got some meaningful food for my daughter. At least I think we did. For all I know we gave her more Fruit Loops. While my wife was fetching food, I went to the drink island for one of my free refills. As is my right for life or until 2042. I turned around to head back towards the food and I hear someone yell, “Vote for Pedro!” My work here is done.

Next time: What Hell feels like in summertime.

Now you're just spoiling us.

Writing THREE trip reports in less than a week! I LOVE IT!!! :banana:

Keep 'em comin'!

A reference to the Happyhaunts honeymoon? So sly. It just can't get any better than this for someone with OCtripreportD.

This is just the best trip report ever. Period.

Ok ZZUB while I have thoroughly enjoyed your entire trip report, part 10 is my favorite so far. It has inspired me to confess that:
I am a redneck
I love SEC football
I live in and love the South
I'm a Tennessee alum
and because I just admitted that, I've proved I can apreciate a whupin :guilty:

Yes, I know that by the redneck SEC fan code, that if we ever happen to run into each other at the ESPN Club, we are required to start a bar fight. But I am hoping that, as a fan of yours, you'll let me off the hook.

Seriously though, It is a GREAT report.

Wow, another great installemtn! I'm so glad I checked my e-mails today - anyone else noticed not all the threads have working notifications? (Glad this one does!)

Is Maelstrom lame? My DS(6) loved it - this is the boy who found Goofy's Barnstormer too fast - so any ride we can do as a family is good for us (roll up roll up, see the sad people go on Rio del Tiempo three times in a row!). Horses for courses.

:rotfl2:
I almost PMP when I read that reference to Happy Haunts honeymoon.

I hope you plan to keep up this trip report writing pace, we're getting spoiled by it- and will expect that it is our right to have 3 updates each week.

I just about PMP when I read this new stuff. ZZUB! You can write your a** off!

What does PMP mean?

Maelstrom is a FAST-PASS????????????????????????? ? ?

OMG, Zzub, this is THE funniest stuff I've ever read (and I'm a fairly well-read person!)....!!! I just did a "copy and paste" of all your chapters over to a document on my computer so my hubby can read at his leisure and not worry about digging around here (he's not, how shall I put it, real quick with the computer... :rolleyes: ). Did you know your report is 44 pages long in WordPerfect?!! :rotfl:

Anyway thanks from a fellow DISer for such a great report! The guide books should be written so well!!! :rolleyes1

You are a hoot, and I think we could be related...we also quote ND adnauseum at our house and my son and niece have even had a Kip-off. See if you can figure that one out.:rotfl:
Also a fellow Alabama graduate!

The last installment was the best. I love the references to other trip reports. The boards are loaded with great on going reports. Keep up the good work.

BTW, I am originally from the south so....I am my own cousin. :rotfl2:

ZZUB said:
Chapter 10:

it was like the crowd for a Pac 10 football team v. the crowd for an SEC team.[/B]

Oh, my God, this is too funny...I'm a Gators fan living in Boston...you think it's bad watching the PAC-10 lovers try to rally for a football game (it's sort of sad, isn't it...)? Come visit New England during the season - watch the desperation as millions (OK, tens) of BC fans insist upon discussing the fabulous wonders of Doug Flutie...who has not attended college since the days of acid wash!!!! And trying to watch an SEC game here? HA!!!! It's either BC or Notre Dame, period.

Keep the reports coming...from a relocated redneck desperately trying to watch college football in a place where NFL is all that counts....

I know exactly what you mean about never paying $145 a night for a room that unclean. The first time that we stayed at POR we had no problem checking in, room available immediately, however when we got to the room, I was completely shocked. As I looked around, there was a twinkie crammed behind the night stand but obvious to see. I was very surprised that mousekeeping couldnt see it and get it up. I thought that was bad until...I saw the shower head. It was scary! It was so black from the mold crawling out of it. There was no way that I was taking a shower in there :sad2: I called the front desk, they apologized and moved us to another room. When we opened the door, I thought I was going to die. It smelled like a college dorm and we missed the party. It was very obvious from the funky smell in the air that either something died in there or someone had a few too many and just couldnt make it to the rest room. This was the first time that we were staying on site mind you, and I couldnt believe that Disney didnt have better standards. Needless to say, I once again called the front desk and they moved us again. My husband at this point, was through. I tend to overpack and he was dragging the luggage from one location to another. We were all carrying luggage, but he is a UPS driver and said that if he's not getting paid, hes not "delivering" the luggage to another room. He was of course joking. Finally, we got a great room in AB. AB was great. It was clean, well cleaner than the first two rooms, and it was extremely close to the bus stop and the food court. We were very happy with AB. :Pinkbounc

I know this is not typical of Disney, since we have not had any of these problems since then and have been back to POR three more times since then and will be going back again in June. We love POR. :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc

Just jumped over here to "start" reading your report from the begining after a long night of work. It is now 3:24 in the morning and I am "caught up". Keep em comin'. Loving and laughing. :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :love:
And my trip is soooo far away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter