The Bakery in France

dameodie

A blue flower from a chink in a wall of ice
I see a lot of people here raving about the bakery in the French pavillion... my memory could be faulty, but I only remember going there once as a kid, and we all thought it was gross. Their pasteries simply wern't sweet! Has anyone else noticed this? Have they improved any in the past too-many years?

I've also heard mention of the chocolate croissiants... are they more of a dark/bitter chocolate or milk chocolate?

Americans (me included) over-sweeten everything. You may like the fare more as an adult. You could also try the Norway bakery.

This is kind of what I was thinking... that they're more tailored to a European pallet... but honestly I think I may just skip it (though my fiancee may like a chocolate croissent if they're dark chocolate!) We do want to try the Norway bakery!

Two words: creme brulee

Of course the pastries aren't sweet, they are French pastries. When my parents were in France, my mom bought a pastry from a street vendor for breakfast and found out the hard way (she doesn't speak or read French) that it was filled with meat! Quelle surprise!

To clarify: that was in real France, not the Epcot version which we call "fake France."

I had the chocolate croissant just a couple of weekends ago. It has a thin ribbon of chocolate through it (not crammed full like a jelly donut) and it is a dark chocolate. No sugar on top or anything. It was a perfect snack for me, but I was not looking for super-sweet.

In france "sweet" is not american sweet. It's much less. It can be a shock and a kid may not like it. But i agree as an adult you may have a more appreciative palate for it. If you just know in advance it's "French" sweet not American Sweet.

I second the creme brulee!!!!!

My girls love the patisserie. One gets the napoleon, the other gets the chocolate mousse. DH loves the chocolate croissant.

Thanks for the responses :) We'll probaby steer away from it this trip, because I know the girls will see things and want them because they look pretty, and then refuse to eat them. There are so many other good things to eat I think we can live without one! :rotfl:

It is perfect for those of us who enjoy slightly less sweet. The strawberry mouse and the napolean are my two favorites there. The chocolate mouse is currently too chocolatey for my pregnant taste buds.

We bought croissants there last summer and I must say I was surprised that it was not real sweet like I've usually had. I must say though that I did enjoy it as quick breakfast! Not real sugary!

If the Fountainview is open - over in Futureworld - it may be a better bet for more American-type desserts.

We picked up some pastaries from France and brought them back to the BWI for a late night snack. I wish we'd just gone down to the Boardwalk Bakery.

We used to love this place but now we prefer Norway. They do make a very good chocolate croissant though, they heated it up for us so the chocolate was warm and oozed through every bite.

Boulangerie Patisserie is one of my absolute fav places to go at WDW! The Napoleans absolutely rock - must do every trip! We actually have enjoyed whatever we have tried there (Peach tart good) & also enjoy the cheese plate w/ french bread for a light lunch.

I went last year after seeing all of the yummy things on here. I got the strawberry tart husband got the apple tart. Strawberry tart was good, apple was nasty and bitter and my husband is a BIG apple fan. He took one bite and threw it away.

Boulangerie Patisserie is one of my absolute fav places to go at WDW! The Napoleans absolutely rock - must do every trip! We actually have enjoyed whatever we have tried there (Peach tart good) & also enjoy the cheese plate w/ french bread for a light lunch.

You have excellent taste! I am a huge fan of that cheese plate + baguette. I get it at least once every trip. :thumbsup2

Another Napolean lover saying hi :wave2:

I, too, think their Napolean's are absolutely divine! I could eat those for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

I also think their plain cheesecake slices are wonderful!

I was very disappointed after trying something here in January that I thought would be sweet, but it was just kinda bland. I love my sweets & couldn't finish what I got here - we'll be checking out other bakeries there instead next time! ;)

Boulangerie Patisserie is one of the best bakeries I've ever encountered, and that includes France and the rest of Europe. The items made with French pastry, palmiers (elephant ears) and the apple turnovers are buttery and sweet. Fruit tarts, that have eye appeal, are less sweet and flavorful.

The napoleans are outstanding; the coconut pryamids are excedingly rich.
Plain croissants ooze with butter.

We often, at park closing, take pastries "home" to enjoy with our morning coffee the next day.

We love Boulangerie Patisserie! I definitely prefer the more "European" tasting desserts. I'd much rather have a nice dark truffle over a Hershey bar, blech! :scared:

I always get the strawberry tart there, it's so good! Tres bon! ;)

I may sound stupid but um... What's a Napoleon? What's it made of/what's in it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter