The Baggot Family's END OF CHEMO END OF CANCER PRE Trip Report and Trip Report!!!!

I am curious to know how much it you approx to drive down to Orlando? (gas, hotel, food)

We have often wondered ow much it would cost us to drive instead of flying. We are also a family of 5 and we would leave from Montreal. So far I have always found direct flights out of Burlington (2 hr away) between 1100$ to 1400$, would it be less to drive?

DAY 5, Thursday October 29th, 2009

Last night, we packed up the van, and just as we finished we noticed a couple standing at the walkway to the hotel room doors. They were looking over at us, so I drew DH's attention to them. LOW AND BEHOLD, they were my DH's Co- Workers!!!!!! What are the chances of driving 2000 plus Km's (or is it miles) to a place as BIG as ORLANDO, and end up staying at the EXACT SAME HOTEL as someone you work with? WOW! So the 4 of us stood and chatted for a while, had some good laughs, and learned my DH has another name (to me he is Martyn, but apparently at work, he is "MARTY")
So now DH is bugging me "LETS GO", we are ready to Check out of this Place and Check into CBR!!!! Then off to EPCOT!
So this might be it till we are home from vacation!
Thanks for the well wishes!

Continued........

We checked in at The Custom House at Caribbean Beach Resort by 8:00 am. The kids waited in the kids TV area, while we did the paper work ect... Surprisingly, we were able to get into our rooms right away! The Custom House itself was Beautiful! Almost Empty too, at that time in the morning.
IMG_2966.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2969.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2970.jpg
[/IMG]

There was a very nice lady at the Cruise Desk in the Custom House. I went over to talk with her to see if we would be needing to see her again before we checked out of the Hotel. She said she could do everything for us right there. She pulled up our reservation and turns out the one document I had printed off at home, and was SUPPOSED to bring with me, I had actually left at home. No problem, she said, she printed off another copy there and had us sign that. If I remember correctly it was the "Contract Signatures Form". So once done there, there would be no need to check in there again.
IMG_3166.jpg
[/IMG]

After leaving the custom house, we drove over to Jamaica where our rooms were located. We had connecting rooms 4645 and 4646. The only thing we didn't like was the fact that there were stairs to climb and a long walk around to the hallway that our rooms were located in.
We were unpacking the van, when all of the sudden one of the hinges on the lift gate broke! ERRRGGHHHHH! Was it just the hinge or was there a problem with the whole hydraulic system? Well, nohting we could do about it then. We turned off the automatic gate opener as the liftgate didn't want to stay open anyway. When we opened it, it would automatically start to close again. So now our liftgate became a two person job. One to hold it open and one to unpack. The rest of us ran up and down the stairs with all the luggage and supplies, loading it all into our rooms. After the workout, we discovered a closer set of stairs and parking space, on the OTHER side of the building!! :rotfl2:
IMG_2979.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3167.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3168.jpg
[/IMG]

After getting unpacked and organized, it was time to head to Epcot! Disney is the method of Transportation for the remainder of today!
IMG_2981.jpg
[/IMG]

epcot

We have the Disney Dining plan for our Time in WDW. We each had available to us for each of 3 days, 1 Quick Service Meal, 1 Snack, and 1 Table Service Meal.
ADR for today is at Chef De France for 5:10 pm
Even before entering the park, Autographs started! STITCH was waiting right there!
IMG_2985-1.jpg
[/IMG]

The whole entry way was SO different from what I remembered of 3 1/2 years ago! The first ride we hit was SOARIN! That was and still is my FAVOURITE! If we had had the time, I would have retreated back there to go on it again and again. But also, Epcot and World Showcase, is actually a HUGE place. Did I ever mention how Perfect the weather was for us here? I don't think it ever rained again after that day in Downtown Disney! And warm, in fact Hot at times. Not humid though, Just Perfect!!
We finally got a great one of these traditional photos! Love the Golf Ball!
Image0157.jpg
[/IMG]

We did test track. It was DS6's and my first time ever on this ride. I wasn't sure I wanted to go on it, as I don't do rollercoasters and typical kind of thrill rides. Motion sickness is big with me, and a rollercoaster ride once as a child and then once as an adult, told me, these rides are NOT for me. But the rest of my family other than the youngest LOVE them! Especially DS12! DH isn't that gung ho for them anymore either, but goes on them because we won't let DS12 ride alone (unless an older sibling goes with him too). BUT Test track was DH's favourite from 3 1/2 years ago, and convinced me to try it. SO OK, Test track, I actually liked. The race around the track was actually Scary but in a fun thrill kind of way! I would definately do Test track again!
Image0166.jpg
[/IMG]

So we did most rides and attractions in Future World. Lots of Autograph seeking too, and making the most of our Photo pass. Oh yes, forgot to mention we took part in a photo pass share with two other families. It worked out GREAT! Lunch was a Quick Service at the Electric Umbrella.

We started into World Showcase around 1pm. This was my family's FIRST time ever in World Showcase. We just couldn't fit it into our Schedule on our First Disney Trip in 2006. I had made Passports for my 6 and 12 yr olds, but then forgot about them till after we'd already been through the first 4 Countries! We started at Norway and worked our way around Counter Clockwise. World showcase actually took a lot longer than I thought it would so we never did get to do the last Country, MY OWN!! But back to that later.
We loved Malestrom in Norway! Although I truly enjoyed looking through the shops in each country, my kids did not! We quickly got them hooked up with Kim Possible Interactive Adventure Game. In retrospect we should have put the kids into two teams of two (since the teens were also SO into this), but we didn't do that. So all 4 were fighting over the communicator for each mission, not wanting to take turns (really, my teens too????)
Between that petty arguing, they did have Some fun with it. I can see how they would have had more, if we had more than one communicator.
They really enjoyed finding the things they had to find, and watching funny and cool things happen when they correctly completed a mission!
IMG_3000-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3016-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Here they made this Green Monkey rise up out of the water!
IMG_3017.jpg
[/IMG]

We let them each do 2 missions each, as it was this activity that really Slowed our progress through World Showcase. When they were finished, they deposited the communicator into the bin they are to be put into. Truly and awesome game if you can spare the time!
IMG_3019-1.jpg
[/IMG]

So around the world we continued. Watched the amazing outdoor show in China, with the huge drums. Took some time to relax and watch a gentleman at the Out Post carve something out of wood. Don't know what the final product was as we didn't have time to stay THAT long :) My two youngest boys partook in the Kidcot areas around the World. There was a kidcot center in each Country. They had a mask on a stick that they would add some color and designs to at each stop, and a special symbol from each country to hang off the mask. This activity kept them busy while we were at The American Adventure. There was a Beer tasting event happening and DH just HAD to go do that! That took about a 1/2 hour total. I didn't go in with him as someone needed to stay with the two younger boys. DD18 and DS16, wanted to wander around a bit on their own, and I felt they more than deserved that time. DD didn't go far, and then ended up getting really relaxed on a Wall/bench:
IMG_3033.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3036.jpg
[/IMG]

Soon enough it was time for Dinner. Now at 90 days out from our trip, when we were able to start making our ADR's, Le Cellier was what we had Wanted. But even from 90 days out, there were no openings available for dinner at Le Cellier. I had tossed around the idea of Biergarten and Tutto Italia. Dh wanted neither of those. We ended up agreeing on Chef De France, or more like I gave in to DH making the decision for us here.
The restaurant itself was lovely to look at. I felt we were under dressed in our T-Shirts and shorts/Capris, but we certainly had no time to go change. Our waitress...... hmmm, I dont' want to use harsh words.... She was pleasant enough, but seemed uninterested in the job. DS6 did not like Anything that was offered on the kids menu, but we went ahead and ordered him the cheese filled pastry. He ate only a few bites (very picky eater) DS16 and I ordered the French Onion soup, and this was in fact VERY Delicious! For the main courses, we each got something different.
I ordered the "Filet de boeuf grille, sauce au poivre noir Gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts" (Steak, potatoes and green beans) DH and DS12 ordered "Medaillon de Veau basquaise" (veal on onions with green beans and roasted potato.
My green beans were great, the potato gratin was ok, and although my steak looked good, it didn't taste good. To me it tasted like a tightly packed frozen hamburger would taste. Dh didn't care much for his meal but he ate it. DS12 could not eat his meal. He picked at it and picked at it. When the rest of us were done, as much as we could make ourselves eat considering we didn't really like the main parts of our meal, the waitress came by and asked DS12 if he meal was ok since he wasn't eating it. He told her very shyly, he didn't like it, and she did offer to bring him something else. She brought him out a chicken dish, he ate a bit of that, but Honestly it was a kids meal he wanted (but not from Chef de France). That was the biggest issue I had with the dining plan, the fact that kids 10 and over had to order from the adult menu. DS12 prefers the kids meals.
Now, even though our food was lacking in taste ect.... there was some mighty fine entertainment while we sat at our table! Outside the Window we were located aside of, there were entertainers stacking up chairs very precariously. Then one of them climbs the stack that was by now, 12 feet tall? And then he started juggling a few bottles of wine (I'm sure they were empty LOL). And in the restaurant, the Maitre De came around to each table and introduced us to Remy! He brought him over in a covered platter. When he removed the lid, There was Remy, squeaking away, and moving to look at everyone! Pretty awesome!
IMG_3064.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3065.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3067.jpg
[/IMG]

By the time we left Chef De France, the sun had started going down. The whirlwind trip down, early mornings and late nights were quickly catching up with DH and myself. I had so badly wanted to stay and watch Illuminations, the evening fireworks, but in the end, We left our teens to watch for us (of course they weren't exhausted!) We finished the world tour stopping lastly at the Canada Pavillion. Unfortunately it was all closed down by this point except for the kidcot center. The only person there was the lone Canadian CM in a LUMBER JACKET! OH my, that was surprising that the organizers would choose a lumber jacket to depict Canadians. Shocking really. I would have loved to have seen the movie shown in the Pavillion but I guess both Le Cellier and that movie will have to wait till another year!

On the way out, we passed by this CM. THAT made my night, a Really nice Disney Touch to end the evening with.
IMG_3085.jpg
[/IMG]

Back at the Hotel, we found this cute little guy on the wall at the top of the stairs. I didn't know frogs could climb walls!
IMG_3088-1.jpg
[/IMG]

And DS6 Discovered that TINKERBELL does Too leave gifts for boys!!!
IMG_3089.jpg
[/IMG]

And that ends our Day 5.
Next up... DHS!

I am curious to know how much it you approx to drive down to Orlando? (gas, hotel, food)

We have often wondered ow much it would cost us to drive instead of flying. We are also a family of 5 and we would leave from Montreal. So far I have always found direct flights out of Burlington (2 hr away) between 1100$ to 1400$, would it be less to drive?

Unfortunately, I didn't keep an Accurate record beyond the first night.
I do know we had to stop for gas 3 times on the way down and that was $60.00 USD each time. We stopped in one hotel on the way down, and that was 47.95 plus taxes USD for each of two rooms.
Lunch at Crackerbarrell was $47.85 plus tip on Day one, dinner I honestly don't remember what we did, think maybe we ordered a pizza. Breakfast was included in the room price for the hotel that night.
Day two we stopped for a late lunch in South Carolina and that was $52 plus tax, then again for supper at Subway in Georgia. We didn't stop again till we were at our Hotel in Kissimmee.
So by those estimates:
Gas and food and a place to sleep was roughly $400.00 one way.

In retrospect, we could have spent less on food if we stuck to fast food places, and packed our own snacks and drinks from home.

We did do better on the way home with regards to food. We did pick up snacks and drinks and premade sandwhiches for dinner, and drove straight through to home.

For us, the consideration to drive or fly weighted on the cost difference for our family of 6. We'd have to drive almost 4 hours to the closest US airport (Syracuse) and the best deal we could get would have been about $1560.00 for all 6 of us return. Then the cost of a car rental. So it definately made sense to drive. I also had to weigh the time difference. A 24 hour drive vs a 3 to 4 hour flight.......
We turned it into a vacation within a vacation, the drive. It really was fun and worth the time for us that time, our first time.
I may reconsider that enjoyment factor after we do this again this fall! :) I wonder how many times we can make that drive FUN! Though I must admit, I am looking forward to the next time!

Cangrats on your daughter WIN over cancer!!!! Enjoying your TR very much. Glad you had a great time! Can't wait to read more.

I've been reading along..it's a great report. I love all the pictures, particularly the picture of you on Test Track! I think I make almost that same face when I ride it! :)

Just wondering, did your husband give you a hard time about wearing matching shirts? I've made shirts for the kids for our October cruise, but so far DH is balking....I'm trying to figure out how to convince him. Or possibly trick him, if it comes to that. ;)

I've been reading along..it's a great report. I love all the pictures, particularly the picture of you on Test Track! I think I make almost that same face when I ride it! :)

Just wondering, did your husband give you a hard time about wearing matching shirts? I've made shirts for the kids for our October cruise, but so far DH is balking....I'm trying to figure out how to convince him. Or possibly trick him, if it comes to that. ;)

LOL, My DH, I love that man oh mine! No he wasn't big on wearing the matching shirts, but didn't give me a hard time about it. And Knowing he didn't like the idea too much, I did do his shirts differently than the kids, and gave him a choice of Disigns. He went along with it because he knew how excited I was about the whole thing! I haven't thought about making any for the trip this year, but will probably make us at least some Halloween ones, or at least the Ones with our Cruise's Logo on it. I asked him the other night, after showing him Jen's Disign for our group, "For our Embarkation day, would you like this on a White Shirt or a Black Shirt?"
I suppose that how I do it, I don't give the choice of yes or no, it's this or that. :) He chose to have the Disign on a White shirt, so I'll probably do up 4 of those for us.
Perhaps if you tell your DH you want matching shirts for one day or two days out of the WHOLE trip, that might make a difference in how he reacts? Hey, if it's a cool disign, really, how CAN they say no? :thumbsup2

Judy I'm so glad you came back to this TR! :goodvibes

Can't wait to read MORE!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Unfortunately, I didn't keep an Accurate record beyond the first night.
I do know we had to stop for gas 3 times on the way down and that was $60.00 USD each time. We stopped in one hotel on the way down, and that was 47.95 plus taxes USD for each of two rooms.
Lunch at Crackerbarrell was $47.85 plus tip on Day one, dinner I honestly don't remember what we did, think maybe we ordered a pizza. Breakfast was included in the room price for the hotel that night.
Day two we stopped for a late lunch in South Carolina and that was $52 plus tax, then again for supper at Subway in Georgia. We didn't stop again till we were at our Hotel in Kissimmee.
So by those estimates:
Gas and food and a place to sleep was roughly $400.00 one way.

In retrospect, we could have spent less on food if we stuck to fast food places, and packed our own snacks and drinks from home.

We did do better on the way home with regards to food. We did pick up snacks and drinks and premade sandwhiches for dinner, and drove straight through to home.

For us, the consideration to drive or fly weighted on the cost difference for our family of 6. We'd have to drive almost 4 hours to the closest US airport (Syracuse) and the best deal we could get would have been about $1560.00 for all 6 of us return. Then the cost of a car rental. So it definately made sense to drive. I also had to weigh the time difference. A 24 hour drive vs a 3 to 4 hour flight.......
We turned it into a vacation within a vacation, the drive. It really was fun and worth the time for us that time, our first time.
I may reconsider that enjoyment factor after we do this again this fall! :) I wonder how many times we can make that drive FUN! Though I must admit, I am looking forward to the next time!

Thank you!

We just came back from a baseball tournament in Brockville (about 2.5 hr away) a little bit longer I would of considered tying them to the roof rack!!! :rotfl: So we would have to wait a couple of years before attempting such a trip with my kids. :laughing:

LOL, My DH, I love that man oh mine! No he wasn't big on wearing the matching shirts, but didn't give me a hard time about it. And Knowing he didn't like the idea too much, I did do his shirts differently than the kids, and gave him a choice of Disigns. He went along with it because he knew how excited I was about the whole thing! I haven't thought about making any for the trip this year, but will probably make us at least some Halloween ones, or at least the Ones with our Cruise's Logo on it. I asked him the other night, after showing him Jen's Disign for our group, "For our Embarkation day, would you like this on a White Shirt or a Black Shirt?"
I suppose that how I do it, I don't give the choice of yes or no, it's this or that. :) He chose to have the Disign on a White shirt, so I'll probably do up 4 of those for us.
Perhaps if you tell your DH you want matching shirts for one day or two days out of the WHOLE trip, that might make a difference in how he reacts? Hey, if it's a cool disign, really, how CAN they say no? :thumbsup2

I've made white ones for the kids with our Dis Logo, a large design, right in the front middle of the shirt. I'm considering doing black shirts for us, with the Dis Log pocket sized on the upper right corner and just presenting it to him the morning of embarkation as a fait accompli!

I have really enjoyed reading your trip report so far. Please come back and finish it. :)

I just happened onto this thread, and I am enjoying reading your pre-trip experience, looking forward to the TR itself. You are a VERY creative Mom, let me send you kudos on your creations, and then I also mean your family too!

Congratulations on your dd fighting and beating the cancer monster (as I call it), and to you and your family as well. Too long and too many stories about how that cancer monster has touched my life, but I understand almost completely (thank the Lord I never had to watch it fight any of my kids but plenty other relatives and friends).

I don't think I'd be able to watch anyone I love ride on that sling-shot ride either!

tjbaggott can you help me. If you are doing any designs could you please do some for me. Your work is great. Thank you for sharing your work with us. I am going on the Fantasy in Jan.2013 and I'm making autograph books for my gang, so when I seen your sight I was so happy. Could you do some designs for me, it look like a lot but mainly i need the writting took off of them. So here goes: in your File: Disney Cruise image 8 w/o writting, heads up, Pirate Itineray w/o writting, pirate night w/o writting, pirates life for me w/o names File: Mickey Heads, all of these without writting please: chip n dale, minnie 2, donald duck, pirate mickey, goofy, pirate minnie, pirate stitch, mickey, pirate mickey head banner, pluto, sailor goofy, can you do the 6 princesses: Tiana, snow white, cinderella, belle, aurora, and ariel. File Request: 3xthejoy2 no writting, beck 1 no writting, Beck 3,4,5,9 no writting, clochette 3,4 no writting, fastpaks no writting, Granmaz6 Fantasy Ship no writting, smbertran 4,5 no writting and It Just Doesn't Get Any Better Than This w/o any other writting. If you would like you can put these in your files and I will go back to your files and get them so that other people can use them without driven you crazy THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH. Lisa

congrats on your daughter getting through cancer!!!!!!!:flower3::littleangel::cheer2::dance3::banana: yay! but as i was reading i noticed all your pictures are gone? whats up with that? :confused3 i was looking forward to seeing all your photos... :sad1:

congrats on your daughter getting through cancer!!!!!!!:flower3::littleangel::cheer2::dance3::banana: yay! but as i was reading i noticed all your pictures are gone? whats up with that? :confused3 i was looking forward to seeing all your photos... :sad1:

The pictures are likely gone because this trip report is over 3 years old.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter