The Animal Kingdom Debate

I love our local zoo. It happens to be top-notch zoo, and we love to visit it.

Given how often we can visit it, we just wouldn't drive 2 days to visit a zoo ... any zoo.

Nothing against zoos, but when I'm using a Disney ticket, I'd rather not use it for a zoo.

That said, I think AK is more than a zoo, but the zoo-like aspects of it were just not very special to us, partially because we're not that wowed by zoo-like exhibits, having excellent ones at our disposal year-round.

So, if you lop of the zoo-like aspects of the park, it just didn't have enough to make it compelling to us. Maybe we didn't give it enough of a chance. But when you spend half the day somewhere and nothing wows you, it's (at least my) human nature to pack it in.

Funnily enough, I ADORED AKL. It's my favorite resort we've ever stayed at. I loved the animals outside our window and getting to watch them at different times of the day. Come to think of it, the one time we visited AK was when we stayed at AKL, so maybe we were spoiled to the animals at the resort.

So, you may be the perfect one to answer this. Despite your lack of enthusiasm for the park, would you recommend skipping it to a first time family that has plenty of park days?

Animal Kingdom is my least favorite of the 4, but we do go every trip and I wouldn't tell someone to skip it for any reason. My opinion was formed after going and seeing it myself, you may find that you really love it. I will say it is definitely more than a "zoo."

I find things I love about every park but I will say that AK is probably our least favorite. It is definitely NOT a zoo or anything remotely zoo like

So, you may be the perfect one to answer this. Despite your lack of enthusiasm for the park, would you recommend skipping it to a first time family that has plenty of park days?

That's a tough one. Any animal enthusiasts in your group? Do any of the attractions really appeal to one or more members of your family?

I kind of think that if you have plenty of park days (and I personally would never do a trip without 2 days for EP and 2 days for MK), you should try it.

Clearly lots of people love it. We just didn't find much to interest us. You will find that everyone is different. Epcot is our favorite park, and I am always a bit shocked when I read that someone doesn't like it. You kind of don't know until you try, though.

Shh.....

Just let the "we must race from ride to ride group" continue to bad mouth it. then those of us who know the secret can continue to enjoy the park.

(Just kidding, but I do think that's the problem. If all you want to do is race from ride to ride then it's not going to work for you. It's a "stop and smell the roses" kind of park and I do love it!)

Well, that's definitely not me. I don't ride much of anything.* :rotfl:

And World Showcase is probably my favorite part of Disney World, and it isn't a race from ride to ride kind of place.

Maybe the shopping wasn't good enough. :lmao:

* Although I did do the Safari when we were at AK. It was kind of cool. I think I was a bit spoiled to the animals by then since we were staying at AKL. We did see some cattle chasing some giraffes, and the giraffes were moving fast. That's something you can't see just anywhere.

I have done AK 4 times. Expedition Everest and Dinosaur were good rides, and It's Tough to Be Bug is a cute show. Flame Tree Barbecue is the best counter service meal I've had anywhere in WDW. The atmosphere and theming are beautiful. All of that being said, I'm afraid I fall into the "it's an expensive zoo" camp. (AK lovers, go ahead and throw rotten tomatoes now). Beyond what I mentioned above, nothing really captivated me. I take the stop-and-smell-the roses approach and am not a thrill ride junkie or someone who needs to be constantly entertained or stimulated, so I don't think that's the issue. It's just not my thing. I'm an animal lover, but it bores me. I like zoos, but I can see one at home.

With 5 days in WDW, I'd recommend stopping over at AK for a half day, and, if you end up loving it, stay the whole day. If you don't love it, you've only wasted a half day and you can spend the evening in another park. Then at least you've done it and know for next time,

I could easily spend 5 days splitting time between MK and Epcot and never get bored. It's all about what interests you. I hope your trip is great, whatever you decide to do!

Throw "over priced zoo" out of your vernacular... because 10 seconds after you're there you'll realize just how wrong you were. :thumbsup2)

You can't tell anybody that they are right or wrong with their opinion. Nobody can guarantee the experience you will have. Everybody has their own opinion, but count me among the MANY that think it's an over-priced zoo.

(Just make sure it's not too hot of a day... because that will ruin everything.) ;)

I agree. It's very spread out so you will be miserable on a hot day. Since it's in Florida that means 90% of the possible days to visit.

I have done AK 4 times. Expedition Everest and Dinosaur were good rides, and It's Tough to Be Bug is a cute show. Flame Tree Barbecue is the best counter service meal I've had anywhere in WDW. The atmosphere and theming are beautiful. All of that being said, I'm afraid I fall into the "it's an expensive zoo" camp. (AK lovers, go ahead and throw rotten tomatoes now). Beyond what I mentioned above, nothing really captivated me. I take the stop-and-smell-the roses approach and am not a thrill ride junkie or someone who needs to be constantly entertained or stimulated, so I don't think that's the issue. It's just not my thing. I'm an animal lover, but it bores me. I like zoos, but I can see one at home.

With 5 days in WDW, I'd recommend stopping over at AK for a half day, and, if you end up loving it, stay the whole day. If you don't love it, you've only wasted a half day and you can spend the evening in another park. Then at least you've done it and know for next time.

I could easily spend 5 days splitting time between MK and Epcot and never get bored. It's all about what interests you. I hope your trip is great, whatever you decide to do!

I agree with all of this.

Also, if you decide to skip it (and even if you don't), I'd recommend dining somewhere in the Animal Kingdom Lodge during your trip, if time allows and you're so inclined. It's a stunning resort with great dining options, and plenty of areas for viewing the animals. It's not a substitute for Animal Kingdom park, but it is free to visit, and gorgeous. I particularly love the gift shop there ... and the lounge. ;)

I agree with all of this. Also, if you decide to skip it (and even if you don't), I'd recommend dining somewhere in the Animal Kingdom Lodge during your trip, if time allows and you're so inclined. It's a stunning resort with great dining options, and plenty of areas for viewing the animals. It's not a substitute for Animal Kingdom park, but it is free to visit, and gorgeous. I particularly love the gift shop there ... and the lounge. ;)

itchin2go must be my long lost twin because I absolutely recommend visiting the Animal Kingdom Lodge! It is just beautiful and the restaurant options are fantastic. I highly recommend Jiko, particularly the Taste of Africa appetizer. And the gift shop is great. I never stay at AKL bc it's far away from my 2 favorite parks, but I make a stop to shop and eat almost every trip.

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, I think the theming is amazing.

That being said, I won't go there during the hot months. Not enough AC attractions etc.

I agree about visiting AKL as well! :goodvibes

If you do not try it, you will never know how YOUR family feels about it.

My son and I love it. My hubby--not so much. For him, it just feels more crowded. BUT he does love The Festival of the Lion King and Everest.

I vote that you give it a try. ;)

AK has pretty much become my favorite park by default. MK is always too crowded, Epcot is too run down and neglected, HS has a few good attractions but was never a very fun theme park overall to me. Given a choice it's probably the one park I would visit if I had to pick one, unless they somehow held about 1/3 of the usual crowd out of MK. And I don't even like Dinoland.

I also go in August and just can't handle the heat in AK. I didnt like the park very much until I did PM EMH years ago. That made me see the park in a different way. Riding EE in the dark. Getting to enjoy the details while not dying of heat.

Dd also says she really likes the park but the heat gets to her.

We go for 10 day trips and I always do one AM and leave by 1. And I try to do it another day around 3-4 when it closes at 8 pm.

It's a beautiful park and definitely should not be skipped. It has two "thrill rides" Dinosaur and Everest. The safari ride is always different and you never know what animals you will see. The Lion King and Nemo shows are excellent. There are good places to eat - Tusker House, Flame Tree and Yak & Yeti.

Since you've not been, then go! You have enough days to experience all the parks. You'll likely not do as much as you want at either MK or EP as those take longer - but you'll still have fun! Disney will be there if you return sometime.

That being said, we did AK three trips in a row with our kids and it was a flop all three times. (We thought it would changed as their ages changed). We did it pre-kids with just the two of us and enjoyed it though! We skipped AK our last trip due to our three attempts. However, we're doing a half-day there on our next trip. My kids have never liked AK, but it's time to try again as it's been 2.5 years since our last attempt! Some kids absolutely love it, so it's definitely worth trying.

We love AK, too. Another point not mentioned much is that if you are looking for Disney souvenirs that are more subtle (not "screaming Disney") AK has some of the best clothing and accessories in The World.

I love AK it's my favorite park but I only do one day there. I do MK 2-3 days, the others once as well.

It's interesting how each family/person is attracted to different things in DW. Epcot is our family's least favorite park and AK is a close second to MK. We love AK! After we rode the safari, we stopped on a street in Africa and watched an amazing wood carver and then we grabbed an ice cream and were mesmerized by the African tribal dancers and drummers.

If you skip the park, you will miss out on one of the best rides in all of DW...Expedition Everest; and, you will miss the best show...Festival of the Lion King. Not to mention the Safari...the most unique attraction.

I hope you will at least give AK a half day (earlier hours are better) during your upcoming trip :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter