• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The All-New What's For Dinner Thread!!(recipe index in OP)

This was my grandmother's recipe-my grandfather had heart problems and she wouldn't feed him anything with eggs...lol

1 1/2 lbs ground beef(cheap is fine)
1/2 a can of V-8 (or tomato juice or HOT V-8) about 1 cup
1 cup of italian bread crumbs
onion salt
pepper

Mix all together (I use the chicken fryer I cook it in-no bowl to wash..lol)
Mold into a loaf-but turn multiple times-end over end-side over side-otherwise you get a hole in the middle..lol
Brown over med-high heat on both sides
Cut 1 onion into rings or 1/2 moons and spread around meatloaf
Add 1/2-3/4 cup of water mixed with a bit more of the V-8.
Pour over onions and meatloaf-turn down heat and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours depending on size of loaf. Can be increased or decreased in size-if I do more meat I make it into 2 meatloaves.
Really good with the "juice" over the meatloaf and noodles..or mashed taters.

The meatloaf stays very moist and is great for sandwiches.

Thanks for asking Glynis-definitely try the turkey-it was soo easy and was better than the diner..lol Sue

We had this last night and it was TDF--if you like curry

Curried Chicken Wraps
Ina Garten

3 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on (I "easy-ed" my way and used rotisserie chicken)
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1 1/2 cups mayo
1/3 dry white wine (I used chicken stock)
1/4 cup chutney (recommended Major Grey's0
3 tbsp curry powder
1 cup medium-diced celery (2 large stalks)
1/4 cup chopped scallions white and green parts (2 scallions)
1/4 cup raisins
1 cup whole roasted, salted cashews, chopped (I omitted this)
Tortillas or bread of choice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin , and shred the chicken in pieces (This step can be skipped if using the rotisserie chicken)

For the dressing, combine the mayo, wine/stock, chutney, curry powder and 1 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor. Process until smooth

Combine the chicken with enough dressing to moisten well. Add the celery, scallions and raisins. Mix well. Refrig. for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Add the cashews.

Roll in tortillas or place on bread for sandwiches

I also made the Peanut and Jelly Bars that were from this same episode. They were super yummy as well. Will post that recipe later!

I did think about Laura and Greg at one point, as the kids sang a song called "Thank you military". That had me in tears.

Thanks, Glynis. That is very sweet of you. I hope Leslie is doing better. If it were me, I would be furious with the school! I've had Liam come home with various maladies, from a 103 degree fever, to huge, bleeding scrapes, but he never told anyone that he wasn't feeling well or was bleeding, so I can't blame the school there. However, if they noticed that he wasn't walking right, put ice on his foot, and he was still clearly in pain, I would expect a phone call.

I am not sure how romantic with my little man attached to my hip most of the time. :rotfl:

The fact that he gave you a surprise gift that you actually liked is romantic in my book.

Sheryl -- Your salad looked terrific!

I love the paint colors we chose but someone...I won't say who...did not tape the edging so well so we may put crown molding up to fix that problem...:yay:

I have lots of crown molding in my house. It is very pretty. I love some of the darker colors I have painted in the house (like Caili's VERY pink room...Benjamin Moore's Spring Bloom), but one mistake, and you're looking at repainting the ceiling too.

:lmao: :lmao: My husband might take the squirel over the couscous and would definitely choose the squirel over the wheat grass. :lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:

:rotfl2: They're going to an Italian restaurant to eat and I can just see tomato sauce all over his white tux, OK the mom in me is coming out.:rolleyes:

Come on down sweetie!:goodvibes I hope I get to see pics of them....All of the guys (there are 6 couples) are getting dressed at one of the boys' homes, that's where the limo will pick them up.

Tell him not to order the spaghetti!! :laughing: I am glad they decided to dress at their own houses because I was going to tell you to go to the other house. When I went to the prom...not saying how long ago :rolleyes1 ... the limo left from my house, but several other parents came to take pictures.

It's time to put the kids to bed so I'll talk to you all later!

Tonight was meatloaf(on top of the stove-if anyone is interested I will post the "recipe"), baked potatoes and french green beans-but I wanted to share what we did last night too. We found boneless turkey breasts on sale-so we decided we'd come up with a fake Thanksgiving... I pounded out the turkey as thin as I could-then spread stove-top turkey stuffing over the whole piece of turkey-then rolled up jelly roll style. I tied them with butchers twine and saute in a little olive oil. when they were browned all around, I added a jar of Heinz Homestyle Roasted Turkey Gravy and simmered it for about 30 minutes-it was better than I hoped-it was amzing and this will be a keeper..we had just frozen corn with but mashed potatoes would have been good too.

I'm going to try that!!! Sounds delicious. Thanks for the idea!

I haven't done a thing for dinner yet! Nothing, haven't even taken anything out of the freezer yet. Alexis has paint spread out all over the counter next to me & she's enjoying it. (She's turning the cardboard that was in a case of wine into a guitar. We have plenty! :laughing: ) And I'm just too lazy to make her pick up.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: And you're recycling too! ;)

Kathy - This reminded me that a few weekends ago I was having dinner with my sister at a restaurant and a group came in dressed for prom. One of the guys had on a white tux and was wearing a camouflage baseball cap and when he turned around, the vest and tie were in camouflage as well :rotfl: And no, his date's dress did not match :rolleyes1

How funny! I didn't know they even made those vests in camo.

He just came in from practice and said everyone is going to be getting dressed at home!:yay: I think all the Moms have been complaining.;)

I'm glad. I was going to suggest begging, bribing, or threatening to get a pic. I would have given him the choice of getting dressed at home, having me take a pic at the other parent's house, or having me "accidently" show up at the same restaurant. :rotfl: :rotfl: Don't you feel sorry for my kids when they get to high school?

Tonight was meatloaf(on top of the stove-if anyone is interested I will post the "recipe"), baked potatoes and french green beans-but I wanted to share what we did last night too. We found boneless turkey breasts on sale-so we decided we'd come up with a fake Thanksgiving... I pounded out the turkey as thin as I could-then spread stove-top turkey stuffing over the whole piece of turkey-then rolled up jelly roll style. I tied them with butchers twine and saute in a little olive oil. when they were browned all around, I added a jar of Heinz Homestyle Roasted Turkey Gravy and simmered it for about 30 minutes-it was better than I hoped-it was amzing and this will be a keeper..we had just frozen corn with but mashed potatoes would have been good too.

That sounds really good and a great way to have turkey without having to cook a whole bird and deal with the leftovers. Thanks for sharing.

Tell him not to order the spaghetti!! :laughing: I am glad they decided to dress at their own houses because I was going to tell you to go to the other house. When I went to the prom...not saying how long ago :rolleyes1 ... the limo left from my house, but several other parents came to take pictures.

:rotfl: Really. Tell him to make sure whatever he orders has a white sauce. :rotfl:

Tonight's dinner ended up being pizza. Pepperoni for the kids and BBQ shrimp for Kenny and I.

Dinner ended up being Chick-Fil-A. Had to stay at work late and then had to go shopping. Knew that by the time I got home and made dinner it would be 9:30.

Here's the other recipe i promised

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
Ina Garten

1/2 lb unsalted butter, at room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, at room temp
2 cups (18 ounces) creamy peanut butter
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups (18 ounces) raspberry jam or other jam
2/3 cups salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Grease a 9x13 cake pan, line with parchment paper, then grease and flour the pan

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on med speed until light yellow. With the mixer on low speed, add teh vanilla, eggs and penaut butter until all combined

In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mix. Mix until just combined

Spread 2/3 of dough into the prepared cake pan and spread over the bottom with a knife or offset spatula (easier to just press into pan with fingers) Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Drop small globs of remaining dough evenly over the jam. Don't worry if all the jam isn't coverd. it will spread in the oven. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and cut into squares

Kathy, what restaurant is he going to?

WFD...Wed I made homemade lasgna!

Layers of ricotta cheese(plus eggs, parsley, s&p), spinach, red gravy(what my Sicilian Meme calls marinara sauce ;) ) with ground turkey meat, and lasgna noodles...topped with mexican blend shredded cheese...it's the only blend they sell in the big bag at WM!
Baked for 45 minutes at 350

Tomorrow WFD...Red Beans and Rice!!!!

No hambone, but 3lbs of beans, 2 bell peppers, 2 onions, 3 cloves of garlic(smashed), 1/4c bacon grease, 1lb pickled pork and 1lb smoked sausage, and spices to taste.

Let's just say the house smells so good!!!

Tonight we are going to my in-laws for dinner tonight. Oy. I better sneak a spoonful of peanut butter or something before I go. MIL told me she was trying a new dessert out on us: strawberry and rhubarb sundaes. Um, I didn't think rhubarb was in season yet? Like I said, OY!!!

Have a great day!

ETA: My dinner was awesome last night!!!!!!! Here is a picture or two and the recipe!

DSCF0796.jpg

DSCF0797.jpg

And yes, that's a Coronado Springs mug in the corner of the picture :)

Chinese Spaghetti and Meatballs
(my changes in bold)

Salt
1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
1 pound ground pork or chicken
1 egg
2 cups puffed rice cereal
Black pepper
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder, 1/3 palm full
8 scallions, 2 finely chopped, 6 cut into 2-inch lengths
2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup tamari dark soy, divided
4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 cups snow peas, thinly sliced on an angle
1 red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
2 inches ginger root, grated
4 cloves garlic, grated
1 pound triple washed spinach, leaves stripped of larger stems, coarsely chopped (after we ate I realized I forgot to add the spinach. Oops!)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, available on Asian foods aisle of market
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, available on Asian foods aisle of market

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place a pot of water on to boil for spaghetti. When it comes to a boil, salt the water and add pasta to cook to al dente. Heads up: reserve 1/2 cup cooking water just before draining.

Place pork in a mixing bowl. Add the egg to the bowl. Place rice cereal in food processor and pulse into a bread crumb like consistency. Add cereal crumbs to bowl. *After reading reviews on this recipes, I added a big clove of grated garlic to the meatballs*

Add salt, pepper, five-spice powder, 2 chopped scallions and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Mix the meat balls thoroughly. Form 1 1/2-inch balls and coat with 1 tablespoon oil, scatter onto a baking sheet and roast 15 minutes. I roasted about 17 minutes.

When the meatballs are close to done and the pasta is in, heat a large skillet over high heat with enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the skillet, a couple of tablespoons. Add the snow peas, red pepper, remaining cut scallions, ginger and garlic, stir-fry 2 minutes add spinach and wilt, 1 minute. Add the remaining soy sauce, about 1/3 cup, and the sesame oil then drain, add in pasta cooking water and toss to combine so pasta can soak up sauce, about 1 minute. Garnish with sesame seeds and top with lots of meatballs.

Next time I make this I am going to add a handful or two of "instant" cabbage mix from the store to add more vegetables and texture.

Glynis- How is Leslie? I am not an advocate of complaining to the school but this is bad. How a teacher could determine that the injury was not enough to notify you and yet put ice on it is ridiculous! That teacher needs a refresher course to say the least. Your poor baby :sad2:. I did like your description of the "America" event. I always got choked up for those songs but now more than ever.

PPPSSSTTTT: Buddy- It's a DIS, government, slow driver conspiracy against ya! I guarantee it! And I'm sure Nancy spent the whole economic stimulus check on couscous, whole wheat pasta, and wheat grass! Maybe you should talk Kady into catching you a squirrel? :rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao: I told him about your conspiracy theory and he couldn't help himself, he was :lmao::lmao:! If Kady caught a squirrel no one would be eating it, she would drag out one of her harnesses, tie the poor thing up and then try to make it live in her doll house dressed in one of her Webkinz outfits!

Kathy, Well Brooke had better hang on his arm real tight! He's going to need to bring a bat to beat the girls off of him! :laughing:

Thank goodness th boy belongs on a team and must have his own bat :thumbsup2

I haven't done a thing for dinner yet! Nothing, haven't even taken anything out of the freezer yet. Alexis has paint spread out all over the counter next to me & she's enjoying it. (She's turning the cardboard that was in a case of wine into a guitar. We have plenty! :laughing: ) And I'm just too lazy to make her pick up.

Smart girl to make sure Nana has a day off in the kitchen ;)

Kathy - This reminded me that a few weekends ago I was having dinner with my sister at a restaurant and a group came in dressed for prom. One of the guys had on a white tux and was wearing a camouflage baseball cap and when he turned around, the vest and tie were in camouflage as well :rotfl: And no, his date's dress did not match :rolleyes1

I think the camouflage vest would have been neat, and I am not a fan of everything needing to match either :rolleyes1

Tonight was meatloaf(on top of the stove-if anyone is interested I will post the "recipe"), baked potatoes and french green beans-

I'm glad that you posted the recipe for the meatloaf. You never need to ask if we want them, we always do! The turkey roulade sounds so good and easy to make as well.

He just came in from practice and said everyone is going to be getting dressed at home!:yay: I think all the Moms have been complaining.;)

Good thing! Kathy, around here the kids generally gather at one house and the parents all show up there for pictures. I cannot wait to see his pictures!

Okay stop posting things like that when I'm hungry! :headache:

ITA! I have not had dessert in over two weeks and that is a lifetime for me.

I know that I have missed a lot, I'm sorry. I spent all day :laundy: and cannot figure out where it all comes from but somehow my ironing pile multiplied. I'll finish today, now it is a quest!

Last night we had leftovers in front of the fireplace. Yes the fireplace. It has been cold and raw the past few day and Buddy broke down and brought more firewood in so we would stop whining that we needed a fire.

Tonight I have chick I need to cook, I'll figure it out later.

Thanks for all your replies...

I love the name turkey roulade...I think I will come here and let you guys name my "recipes". cause most of them don't have one-the poor things. I am just like Rachel Ray-I am not a chef-I am a cook..lol. So bear with me writing them down-if I can remember to do it right when I finish cooking we are good..lol cause (((((((((pssssst...most have NO recipe)))))))))) Sue

Tonight we are going to my in-laws for dinner tonight. Oy. I better sneak a spoonful of peanut butter or something before I go. MIL told me she was trying a new dessert out on us: strawberry and rhubarb sundaes. Um, I didn't think rhubarb was in season yet? Like I said, OY!!!

Lindsay- strawberry- rhubarb is an awesome combination. My aunt always kept some rhubarb frozen so that she could make a filling or a sauce.

Kathy Thanks again for the Lime chicken recipe. Dinner last night was so good. I have just enough for lunch today.

Stephanie Those Peanut butter and Jelly bars sound really good.

Lindsay Your dinner looks really tasty. To bad your IL's can't have your leftovers. I hope your dinner is edible.

Glynis I remember when Alex was in first grade his teacher had the office call me because he and his best friend played in mud at recess. He was just a little muddy she was mad cause I won't leave work to pick him up.
I said nothing broke not sprained or no one is throwing up, No I not leaving work. Moral to my long winded reply you should have been notified that could have been very serious.

Kathy, what restaurant is he going to?

They're going to Tacoro's(sp). I think it's in Kenner.

Kathy Thanks again for the Lime chicken recipe. Dinner last night was so good. I have just enough for lunch today.

And it's so EASY too.;)

WFD - Glynis' roast is in the crockpot, some kind of noodles and glazed carrots.

Have a great day everyone!

Good Morning,

I am volunteering to distribute Market Day orders today so I need something quick. Spaghetti and meatballs, salad and some type of bread. I may try to make foccaccia (sp). I used to make it all the time but have to dig out the recipe. I always used pizza dough from the pizza place but I have some pillsbury in the fridge.

Kat, So glad Kyle is getting ready at home!!! I cannot wait to see pics...I will be patiently waiting Friday evening...;)

I know I missed alot. I can't seem to get caught up so I will just start from today.

Lindsay, pics looks yummy!

Good Morning,

DH works road construction and today they are doing a huge job. He left the house at 4am and is not sure when the job will finish. I hate not knowing when to expect him for dinner. It will be a long day but he will doing his happy dance:cool1: when he gets his OT paycheck!

WFD- I am thinking brats and sauerkraut subs. This will be easy to prep and throw together once he is home.

Ann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter