The All New Pop Century FAR OUT FAQ Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by tinkerbeth
Hi everyone,

Sorry if I'm repeating some things here, I waded through about 35 pages of this thread before I gave up and decided to ask my questions all in one place.

I still havn't totally decided on PC but I keep coming back to it... we are going for a week +/- at the end of August with our 2 year old son who LOVES Mogli and BAloo which is making me want to try out PC.

Here are my questions and again sorry if I'm repeating:

I know you can't be guaranteed a NS King Bed room, but what are the odds? It's really important to me b/c my husband is allergic to smoke and the three of us all sleep together so a double just won't cut it. :) I'm debating whether to go Moderate for this reason.

Also - I know taht the transportation is good to the parks. What about the other resorts? One thing we're thinking of is cabbing it to other resorts like Poly for the Luau, Contemporary for Chef mickey's etc. We're trying to decide if we should rent a car...does anyone know what the cab fare would be to any of those places?

Also...looking for a recommendation for a room. I'm thinking 60s so we're closer to evrything plus the Mowgli factor. Also I like that pool. Are there a good number of Kings in the 60s? The king bed is more important than what building we're in at this point.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to this trip SO MUCH! It's my first time at WDW and I can't WAIT!

Beth::MinnieMo

I can't tell you on the room request as far as a king size bed goes. I don't think that you can be guaranteed that at any resort. If you pay the $10 extra, you will get the '60's is it is available when you book.

As far as transportation, we had reservations at Chef Mickey. We just rode the bus to Magic Kingdom and took the monorail to The Contemporary. The Polynesian is also on the monorail, so you can use it for that too. The monorail is so quick it doesn't take any time at all to get to.

Originally posted by tinkerbeth
,Also - I know taht the transportation is good to the parks. What about the other resorts? One thing we're thinking of is cabbing it to other resorts like Poly for the Luau, Contemporary for Chef mickey's etc. We're trying to decide if we should rent a car...does anyone know what the cab fare would be to any of those places?

]
morning was fine in Jan ( off season ) as most drivers dropped us off if possible ( like Mk bus to contemp.) but be aware that is a courtesy on their parts and they may not want/be able to ....we never "asked them " but they offered to frequently when they found out where we were going...we just asked if it was possible to get to that resort from the park we were going to on that bus ( naturally the closest park to the resort we wanted to get to) and they would tell us to stay on the bus if they could take us..

but evening is about an hr trip at* least* from resort to dtd to resort once the parks close( or close to closing time and no one ever offered to take us anywhere except to dtd..they are just to busy then to do it I am sure..I do not think i would rent a car though unless you plan on a lot of later PS imo. seems like over kill for a couple hrs use....and the area can be confusing to drive imo...we have been there a number of times and still got confused! just know what you are up against and plan accordingly ...if cabs are worth it depends on how much your time is worth and how tired you are...I think some have said they are about $10 a trip ( not from my own experienceas we usually drive and have a car which we do not usually use while there)

what ever you chose to do just make sure and have fun!!!

Hi! My family (myself, DH & DS8) will be taking our first trip to the world May 22-29 and will be staying at POP. We are so excited! I have a few questions-

1. Can my husband bring cans of beer into the pool area?

2. Are floats (smallish inner tube) allowed in the pool?

3. We will be staying in the 60's building, and I plan to request a standard king NOT facing the pool- I've read that from some rooms the Illuminations fireworks are visible, which building should I request? Which floor?

4. At luggage check in- can you "check" a cooler? (see question 1 above ;) )

Thanks for any advice- this thread is grrrrreat!

Originally posted by bsjstsnwdw
3. We will be staying in the 60's building, and I plan to request a standard king NOT facing the pool- I've read that from some rooms the Illuminations fireworks are visible, which building should I request? Which floor?

Just so you know, there are three standard king rooms within the two 60's buildings that do not face a pool. There are 3 standard kings that do face the pool. There are 24 other king bed rooms, but they are disability accessible, meaning they do not have a tub. (only a shower instead)

King bedrooms cannot be guaranteed.

4. At luggage check in- can you "check" a cooler? (see question 1 above ;) )

Yes!

Tyler,Have you heard any news on when they will resume construction on the Legendary Years?That is going to make a GREAT resort even better.Thanks.:earsboy:

I just made PS for Chef Mickey at 7:30 am on July 22. The CM said to expect 1 hour for Disney Transportation to get us from pop century to the Contemp. Is this true?

Thanks, Southern4sure

Originally posted by Southern4sure
I just made PS for Chef Mickey at 7:30 am on July 22. The CM said to expect 1 hour for Disney Transportation to get us from pop century to the Contemp. Is this true?

Thanks, Southern4sure

Well, at least they acknowledged that there will be transportation at that hour of the morning. Most will tell you (wrongly) that there isn't.

My advice would be to be out at the bus stop between 6:45-7:00. Upon boarding the bus, let the driver know that you need to get to Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. At that early hour of the morning, they SHOULD be able to take you directly.

I didn't get to meet you when we were there at Easter. But want to say we loved the hotel and the 50s buildings. Everyone was wonderful at the hotel. Planning on coming back in sept. 05 maybe see ya then!!!!:wave2:

We are arriving late the night of Aug 2nd. Might be more like early morning the 3rd. We asked for a fridge (not for medical purposes), and asked that the rooms be together. I have read many posts that say it is basically first come first serve basis. I am afraid that since we are arriving so late that we wont get what we asked for. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

Angel

Can someone tell me about the rental refridgerators? Are they the square ones, or the rectangular ones? I am trying to figure out how big/small they are, and how much they will hold.

Originally posted by jstbcuz94
We are arriving late the night of Aug 2nd. Might be more like early morning the 3rd. We asked for a fridge (not for medical purposes), and asked that the rooms be together. I have read many posts that say it is basically first come first serve basis. I am afraid that since we are arriving so late that we wont get what we asked for. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

Angel

My guess is that all should be fine, but I can't really guarantee anything. It's just a guess. Of course, worst case scenario is that you can room change the next day. As for getting the fridge, they should have some available.

As for Fridge info... they are the small cube type.

Thanks for the quick response Tyler. One more question...what is a surrey bike? How much are they to rent? If anyone has a picture to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Are floats (smallish inner tube) allowed in the pool?

When I worked at Blizzard beach this is the rule (and i'm pretty sure its the same at the resorts too).

No floats are allowed in the pool unless it is attached to the child... (ie no tube that goes around the child that does not have straps).

Larger intertubes (like the ones for slides at the waterparks) will more then likely not be allowed just because they are so big in the pool and can get in the way if there are alot of people in the pool).

As for beach balls and the like, they will be allowed unless the pool has lots of people (basicly it up to the life guard on duty on how to enforce it).

I can't find any info on the location of drink refill stations at Pop. We are big water drinkers and my DS loves the Pink Lemonade, do they only offer it at the food court.

thanks!

I just got back from pop saturday morning. It was great!! The decor was awesome. We were in the 90's building facing the parking lot, the furthest spot from the main building, but the walk was always great because we always saw something new. The Hippy pool was always full, so we stayed in the computer pool. I hope everyone had as much fun there as I did. We will be going back ( I think) in about ia year and a half.

Did anyone use the playground while you were there? What ages is it set up for? Did your kids enjoy it?

Okay, so I've BOOKED! :tongue: :tongue: :hyper: :hyper:

I booked a preferred location room...my son is a Mowgli freak. How would I request a room near the big Mowgli and BAloo, or what else should I ask for when I put in my request. We've also requested a King bed, which is more important than anything else. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Beth:wave2:

We just got back on Sunday from 9 nights at Pop Century. Our room location was great! 70's building, 2nd Floor, right across from the Mickey phone! We were so close to the Food Court and the bus stops! Even closer than many preferred rooms! We also got a non-smoking king as requested. Overall, we liked the resort. We did find the room too warm though. It wouldn't go below 68 degrees (we keep our AC at 62-64 at home during the night). After visiting and calling guest relations 3 times, they sent someone out to reset the thermostat so it would go lower then 68. However, even if we set it for 64, it never got cooler than 68 anyway. Other than that, the resort was great. Bus service was very good as well.

Sounds like it might be a hassle to get back to Pop Century from the Boardwalk area after the parks close. Would it be better to take our car instead of Disney transportation? Anyone know if there will be free parking at the Boardwalk area?

I've just found out that my flight will not be leaving until 8:00 at night....Woohoo!!!...Is there somewhere I can store our luggage after checking out of our room but prior to leaving Pop Century?

Also, since the inroom safes tend to be on the small side, are there any other options for locking personal things away? Does PC have bigger storage areas that can be purchased? I'd love to bring a video camera but ours is wider than 3".

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter