• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - MAY 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the status of the GF lobby construction and scheduled completion times? (And any exterior or other building work that's going on) We're staying at the GF in Dec.

I believe I read somewhere that they are hurrying along to have it done before the holiday traffic... I would guess it should be done my early November at the latest.

We are arriving at MCO around 4:30 Pm and taking the ME to the GF. I am traveling with DH, DD9 and DS8. I considered trying to go to MNSSHP that evening but think I may be cutting it too close and really losing out on some of the fun of that evening by trying to rush over there.

Any thoughts?:confused3

I think you should go to the GF first.
Two weeks ago, ME got us to the grand within about 70 minutes of our plane landing. By the time you get there, your room should certainly be ready and this way, you can check-in, see your (beautiful) room, take a bathroom break and maybe even a 20 minute power nap and then head over. Remember, from the GF, you are 1 monorail stop from the front gates of the MK. The ride takes no more than 2 minutes. This way you can feel at peace with having checked in, be refreshed for MNSSHP, and know exactly where you're coming home to later in the evening.
I'm jealous- I miss it!
Have fun!

We are arriving at MCO around 4:30 Pm and taking the ME to the GF. I am traveling with DH, DD9 and DS8. I considered trying to go to MNSSHP that evening but think I may be cutting it too close and really losing out on some of the fun of that evening by trying to rush over there.

If it were me, I'd pick another night for the party. Travel days tend to wear everyone out and I like a relaxing start to my vacation! Since you can arrive at the party as early as 4 p.m., you'd miss out on a few hours by attending on your arrival day.

Maybe you should plan to check in and get settled - check out the resort, etc. Have dinner either at the GF or somewhere on the monorail. My top picks would be GF Cafe, Narcoossee's, Citrico's or Kona Cafe. You could watch the Electrical Water Parade and Hallowishes from the boat dock or in front of Gasparilla's. I wish I was going in October!

I would wait. Heaven forbid something happens with the plane and you are delayed. Those tickets are non-refundable. I would plan on chilling at the resort for the evening or heading to DTD.

I would wait. Heaven forbid something happens with the plane and you are delayed. Those tickets are non-refundable. I would plan on chilling at the resort for the evening or heading to DTD.

Okay, thanks for the input. Any thoughts on where we should eat that evening? This will be our first stay at GF. We have previously stayed at the Poly. It is DH, DD9, DS8 and me. The only place we have eaten at GF is Gasparilla's. I have an ADR at Citrico's for 7:40 PM. I am fairly certain I woudl be able to get an ADR at GF Cafe. I have been trying to get and ADR for Narcoosee's because the location seems great or California Grill for the view of the fireworks but so far no luck.

Do you think I should forgo an ADR or just Gasparilla's?

Ugh! Can you tell I am still trying to figure out our itinerary! It is making me crazy! All input welcome!!!:confused:

I'd make an ADR for GF cafe (since it will be your first night and you will be tired from traveling...)

THEN...

go out to the dock area for the GF and watch the MNSSHP from there because they will be having the special fireworks and you will NOT want to miss them... I believe they go off at 9:15-9:30.... You might also catch the Electric Water Pagent from there....

They do the perimeter fireworks for the parties and it is truely spectacular to see them from the resorts... :thumbsup2 Here's the ending to give you a feeling for it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj13XQFnJuA&feature=related

We have always had dinner at the GF the first night, either 1900 or GF Cafe. However, this year we changed to The Wave at the CR. MISTAKE!!!! Eat right in the hotel. We were so tired, not to mention that the food and service there were horrible, all we wanted to do was rest.

Here is a picture I took last month of Gasparilla's Grill & Games using my BlackBerry.

GasparillasGrillGames.jpg

Okay, thanks for the input. Any thoughts on where we should eat that evening? This will be our first stay at GF. We have previously stayed at the Poly. It is DH, DD9, DS8 and me. The only place we have eaten at GF is Gasparilla's. I have an ADR at Citrico's for 7:40 PM. I am fairly certain I woudl be able to get an ADR at GF Cafe. I have been trying to get and ADR for Narcoosee's because the location seems great or California Grill for the view of the fireworks but so far no luck.

Do you think I should forgo an ADR or just Gasparilla's?

Ugh! Can you tell I am still trying to figure out our itinerary! It is making me crazy! All input welcome!!!:confused:

It's really up to you. We tend to eat a nice dinner on our first night in WDW. You would probably be finished with your dinner at Citrico's in time to see the MNSSHP fireworks at 9:30. I haven't eaten at the GFC in years, but it seems to get decent reviews.

We like Gaspy's but more for lunch than dinner. But we aren't fans of CS food for dinner ANYWHERE ;)

Good luck!

How about checking into the GF, having a nice dinner, and letting the kids go swimming. You can watch the EWP right by the feature pool and then you can watch the fireworks as well. That way, you'll be ready for fun in the parks the next day.

I don't like to count on the fact that the plane will arrive on time, either...;)

As for dinner, would the kids love 1900 Park Fair? Or do you feel like a more elegant meal? If not, choose GF Cafe. If yes, then Narcoosees will give you that great view of the fireworks.

I believe I read somewhere that they are hurrying along to have it done before the holiday traffic... I would guess it should be done my early November at the latest.

Cinderumbrella I read that somewhere too!! We are not big CS fans either...well except for Pinnochios Village Haus and Colombia Harbor House in the MK....

SWDisney I agree with Mommygina and Tink Rules... GF Cafe is is great place to dine after a long travel day..it has a nice relaxing atmosphere and some good dinner choices too...Citricos is abosolutely a wonderful place to have dinner....but I would say that that would be better left for an evening mid way through your trip when you have an evening where you dont want to be in one of the parks....so many good choices though...enjoy...you'll be at disney!!!

Thank you all for your input and help answering my questions. :flower3: I don't know why I am strugglign so much this time but I am having problems. This will actually be our longest visit (8 nights) but I feel like I am running out of time to do things. :confused3

How long does it take to get from the GF to DTD? Do you usually use the bus or take a taxi? If you take a taxi what is the appoximate cost?

I am struggling with my itinerary. Where should I post to get help?

Thanks again!

How long does it take to get from the GF to DTD? Do you usually use the bus or take a taxi? If you take a taxi what is the appoximate cost?

I am struggling with my itinerary. Where should I post to get help?

Thanks again!
I would say it takes around 40 minutes when using a Disney bus because of two reasons. 1st For whatever reason the buses from the Magic Kingdom Resorts to Downtown Disney seem to take forever, compared to the ones that go to the parks. 2nd The Grand Floridian also shares bus service with the Contemporary and Polynesian, plus the Grand Floridian is the third stop among those resorts when using taking the bus.

How about checking into the GF, having a nice dinner, and letting the kids go swimming. You can watch the EWP right by the feature pool and then you can watch the fireworks as well. That way, you'll be ready for fun in the parks the next day.

I don't like to count on the fact that the plane will arrive on time, either...;)

As for dinner, would the kids love 1900 Park Fair? Or do you feel like a more elegant meal? If not, choose GF Cafe. If yes, then Narcoosees will give you that great view of the fireworks.

I think the kids woudl like 1900 PF but I haven't been able to get an ADR there. I do have an ADR at Citrico's at 7:40PM. I keep checking for 1900 PF or Narcoosee's for the evening of 10/02 but so far no luck.

We are not real CS fans for dinner but I am not sure if 7:40 is too late.

We are staying CL but I don't know if the evening offerings would be enough to count on for dinner especially for DH! ;)

I think the kids woudl like 1900 PF but I haven't been able to get an ADR there. I do have an ADR at Citrico's at 7:40PM. I keep checking for 1900 PF or Narcoosee's for the evening of 10/02 but so far no luck.

We are not real CS fans for dinner but I am not sure if 7:40 is too late.

We are staying CL but I don't know if the evening offerings would be enough to count on for dinner especially for DH! ;)

We really like 'Ohana at the Poly for a fun family dinner, but it's hard to get an ADR there, too. IMO there was enough up in the club lounge that we could make a dinner of it (or you can supplement with food from the CS place if it's not). We're not big CS fans, either.

I do know that on our travel days, we don't enjoy a fancy sit-down dinner too much since we're tired and hungry and just want to get some rest. Definitely check out the offerings in the lounge -- they may be enough that night or you may need to go out (hard to tell...). Hope this helps some...:)

So we booked CL in Sugar Loaf for next year. Can anyone tell me, are there different levels within that building? Like are there certain room requests? What do the rooms face? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know I have over a whole year to make any requests but would like to know everyone's thoughts and views of others who have stayed there. TIA

BCV23 - I'm not sure I can remember a lot about our dinner at Narcoossee's, since it was the first night of our trip, but I'll try! I keep promising myself I'll keep a journal, but never remember.:laughing: But I do know, it was a very good meal, we enjoyed it, as usual.

In January this year, I was disappointed with my filet and lobster tail, they were both overcooked. So I avoided them this visit, and had the chef's special - can't remember the type of fish, but it was on top of cheese grits and drizzled with a chili oil emulsion, I think. It was heavenly, I had to guard my plate from DD!;) I started with the tomato/mozzarella salad, delicious; DD had two appetizers, rather than an entree - the shrimp and crab chowder and, I think, the tuna tartare. Both were very good, we cleaned our plates! Too full for dessert, sadly, as the almond-crusted cheesecake is DD's favorite dessert anywhere.

Narcoossee's is one of our favorite WDW restaurants, with its position on the lake, view of the fireworks, and casual ambiance. It used to remind me of a lot of Old Florida fish houses, although in recent years they've made it a bit more upscale. Still, many families choose this restaurant, so it's not as quiet and elegant as Citricos. That's neither good nor bad, it just is - we love this restaurant.

Thanks for the description of your meal. We love it, too. In fact, it's my DD favorite dinner in all of WDW (excluding V&A).

We last dined there in March and had a fabulous meal with perfect service. Can't wait to go back.

Speaking of the way it used to be, I cam across an old menu the other night from the mid 90s. Lots of steaks on it, Florida lobster as well as Maine Lobster, prime rib. Narccoossee's has come a long way since then although we always enjoyed it the "old way," too.

We are arriving at MCO around 4:30 Pm and taking the ME to the GF. I am traveling with DH, DD9 and DS8. I considered trying to go straight to MNSSHP that evening but think I may be cutting it too close and really losing out on some of the fun of that evening by trying to rush over there.

So now I am trying to figure out what to to for dinner that evening. I have a ADR for Citrico's at 7:40 PM. Would that be a good choice or do you think I should keep trying for Narcoossee's or PF? Might CS be a better choice? Let the kids swim and check out the GF. (We are planning AK for the next morning.) What about the GF Cafe?

We have never stayed at the GF (usually have stayed at the Poly) so I appreciate the input.

Also, I am looking for some general guidance on a few itinerary planning questions but seem to not be able to locate the best place to post these questions. If anyone could direct me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks! One month from today we will be at the GF!!!!:yay:

I agree with everyone else that it is best to not try to do the party that night. Citricos is an excellent restaurant but I think my children would have been too tired after traveling when they were the ages of yours to have dinner at 7:40. I would try to switch Citricos to an earlier time or another evening. You might ask the concierge when you arrive if earlier times are available. Another thought besides the restaurants mentioned by others would be room service. I would not do Gasparilla's with all the other great options available at the GF and on the monorail circuit.

Have fun! :cool1:

So we booked CL in Sugar Loaf for next year. Can anyone tell me, are there different levels within that building? Like are there certain room requests? What do the rooms face? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know I have over a whole year to make any requests but would like to know everyone's thoughts and views of others who have stayed there. TIA

The views in Sugar Loaf are either of the marina or the courtyard. We've always had marina and loved it but others feel the same about the courtyard view.

Besides the regular rooms in Sugar Loaf, there are lodge tower rooms available by request only. They don't have a daybed but offer a seating area, second TV and more space. In other lodges, they are a separate booking category but not in SL. Happy planning!:surfweb:

Lilmattie BCV answered your SL questions perfectly! I just wanted to add a little about SL because we are long time fans....

The lounge is located in the lobbly of the building...makes grabbing food or beverage so conventient whether coming or going...

The courtyard pool is steps from the building...nice and convenient again for getting a snack or drink while enjoying the pool...or t just pop back to the room for anything you might need...

It is so centrally located on the property...a quick walk to either the monorail or the launches...(the launches are such a nice and quick way to return to the resort at the end of a MK day too!!)

The views marina or courtyard...( courtyard is mostly overlooking the pool )are lovely...pool view is our personal favorite...

I almost forgot...such nice CMs...especially the lounge ladies!

It really is a nice building to stay at and the fact that it is CL makes it even nicer...I am sure you will enjoy stay there!:cloud9: We always do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter