• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - APRIL 2010

Yes, you can see the monorail from the marina side of Sugar Loaf although it is at a distance. You see it emerge from behind Sago Cay on its way to the MK (resort monorail).

Mama Gina, your rooms faced the opposite direction.....across the marina.

This was our view of the monorail from Sago. We had a GV room that faced the backwaters of the lagoon - not the marina side. My DS, 9 at the time, loved this view!
CIMG1331_1.jpg

Melodious - I have not been to the World in November, but from what I've read, they start putting up the decorations during Thanksgiving week (last Thursday in November, for those not from here!). If you are there that week, or after, you might see at least some of the decorations.

disneyfan67 - that photo is from before the recent renovations, and some dormer rooms now have daybeds. The rooms are still a bit smaller than the non-dormer rooms, but I thought I'd let you know that there would be a possibility of a daybed with a dormer room. Personally, I prefer the open balconies of the regular rooms, but the vaulted ceiling is very pretty.

Melodious, sorry I meant to reply to your question about Christmas decorations. We've been in November a couple times in recent years although we've not stayed at the GF for any part of those vacations. Everything in the parks and resorts is up by the end of Thanksgiving week but they start putting things up in the weeks before that. It varies every year....I think to keep it magical. :wizard: The gingerbread house went up rather early this past November IIRC.

minniesota, I can imagine a young boy's delight with that view. How do you like that side of Sago Cay?

I need some expert help with the buildings at GF - I stayed at GF about 8 years ago(with a toddler!), so I don't remember where anything is.

Which buildings give you a TP view?

If we don't go for a TP view, which building is better for a standard GV room - Big Pine Key or Boca Chica (for a pool view)?

Also, does anyone have any pictures for any of the above and also for a lagoon view at Big Pine Key.

I have many different preferences in my family: seeing the monorail, pool view, castle view etc. - they're all giving me a headache!!! :sick:

chrismom3 - There is a map of the GF on the first page of this thread, and photos throughout, especially in the first 8 pages or so.

There are TPV rooms in all buildings except Sugarloaf; the best views seem to be in Sago Cay and Conch Key.

For a garden view room, it depends on what you prefer. Big Pine Key is close to the main building and themed/courtyard pools, Boca Chica is close to the courtyard pool and boat dock. Boca Chica rooms would have a pretty view of the courtyard pool and main building. Big Pine Key has some rooms that overlook the pool building, not a great view - however, Boca has a few of those rooms, too.

I have some photos of a lagoon view in BPK, I'll have to go find them.

Here are some lagoon view photos of room 9415 (fourth floor) in Big Pine Key. I have some lagoon view photos of rooms on the second and third floors as well, but my computer is running slow this morning and uploading them takes a while. The second floor room has pretty views, but a lot of the direct view is obscured by a tree; the third floor view is nearly identical to these photos.

Wedding Pavilion:
IMG_0050.jpg

Lagoon, TTC & Polynesian:
IMG_0051.jpg

Beach by themed pool; you can see the monorail track in the background:
IMG_0052.jpg

Zoomed view of Poly and Wedding Pavilion:
IMG_0053.jpg

*is seriously contemplating switching from Poly to GF for her two night Octoberfest, especially after all the anti-Poly threads this week*

Thank you - k&a&c'smom for taking the time to post pictures. Just a question - is the 3rd picture you posted (with the monorail in it) the same room as the others? 9415 (fourth floor) in Big Pine Key?

You're welcome! Yes, those are all of the same room view. I'm sure the one with the beach and monorail track is zoomed. However, when the monorail is on the track it is pretty easy to see it.

I'll try to get the other photos up sometime today, I'm going to restart my computer and see if I can get it running a bit faster.

Photos of third floor BPK lagoon view (9321). As you can see, the day was more overcast, a bit different light than the first room photos.
Wedding Pavilion:
IMG_0194.jpg

Poly & TTC:
IMG_0195.jpg

Zoomed Poly & TTC:
IMG_0197.jpg

Zoomed Wedding Pavilion, monorail behind it:
IMG_0198.jpg

And the photos of a second floor BPK lagoon view (9225).
Straight on view:
IMG_0183.jpg

Slightly left:
IMG_0184.jpg

DD walked down to left side of balcony:
IMG_0185.jpg

Looking down left side of balcony:
IMG_0187.jpg

Looking right of balcony:
IMG_0188.jpg

Thank you so much for the pictures - they're lovely! If you had to choose your favorite spot/building/view that you've had for a gv and lagoon view - which would it be?

I am planning our August trip and don't want to miss the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra. Does anyone know what time they play? (Start and end?)

Thanks!

Hoppypooh - The pianist starts at around 3 p.m., and alternates with the orchestra until around 9:30 or 10:00 p.m.

chrismom3 - Big Pine Key is my favorite lagoon view, though I don't choose that category often (all the photos I've posted were from one visit, I had to move from our first room after 2 nights due to issues with noise, when we inspected the second room, it had a bit of mold in the bathroom that I was worried about affecting my asthma - hence the third room!) My favorite GV building is Conch Key. Great location, you are near the courtyard pool, Narcoossee's and the boat dock, and out the back door you are right at the marina and a short walk to Gasparilla's. You can get a marina view that looks like the following photos, or a very pretty pool view.

SpringBreak07023.jpg

SpringBreak07022.jpg

SpringBreak07021.jpg

SpringBreak07024.jpg

Hello!! Thank you for such a wonderfully informative thread. I just switched our December reservations from the Poly to the GF. I am sooooo excited!! I have a reservation for an "Outer Building Garden View" Can you tell me what I can expect or direct me where exactly to find this information?

madcam - Welcome! An "outer building garden view" is what we've been referring to as a garden view room, or GV room. It simply means you will be in one of the outer lodge buildings (not the main building or Sugar Loaf Key, as those are all club level rooms) with a view of either the inner courtyard, marina or - in the case of Sago Cay - perhaps the back side that faces the monorail.

There is a map on the first page of this thread, to help you see the layout of the resort.

Since so many people have been asking about the interior of the rooms, I uploaded some of my photos today.

Room from entry hall, evening:
IMG_0038.jpg

Beds:
IMG_0019-1.jpg

Chair and ottoman:
IMG_0020.jpg

Daybed:
IMG_0022-1.jpg

TV, armoire and desk:
IMG_0023.jpg

Drawers open:
IMG_0027.jpg

Desk from entry hall:
IMG_0028.jpg

Nightstand, with iPod dock and phone:
IMG_0029.jpg

Looking at entry hall from daybed/balcony door:
IMG_0043.jpg

Entry hall from room:
IMG_0044.jpg

Closet, with safe:
IMG_0031.jpg

Closet, with iron and board:
IMG_0035.jpg

Vanity area, opposite closet:
IMG_0032.jpg

Commode and tub area:
IMG_0036.jpg

Thanks! Last time we went to WDW we stayed at the CR and spent very little time in the room. Basically we just slept there!!! So the view is not extremely important to me...although a decent one wouldn't be a hardship! I am just super excited to be there for the holidays and the Christmas pics of the GF are amazing!! We will also be celebrating my DD's 6th b-day on that trip so I cannot wait!! I will be checking in on your thread often....Thanks again for all the information!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter