• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The ALL NEW Disney's Contemporary Resort & Bay Lake Tower FAQ with PICs! (FEB 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...How the Contemporary was named?

In David Koenig’s book, Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World, the working title everyone referred to the hotel as was the Contemporary Hotel. Marty Sklar always had reservations about using that name as it might “stick.” In early 1971 they came up with the permanent name, the Tempo Bay Hotel. Roy Disney had also known the hotel as the Contemporary Hotel and when he saw the plans for a Tempo Bay Hotel he wanted to know what that hotel was. When he learned the Contemporary was only the working title, he said, “I just don’t like it. I like Contemporary. I like names that are simple and say what they are. The other name is phony and plastic.” Shortly after that everything was changed – again – and now bore its new name – the Contemporary Resort Hotel.

From: http://www.wdwnewstoday.com/2010/01/29/a-contemporary-classic-by-chuck-mirarchi/
Wow I had never knew that before so thanks for posting that information.

This ? may have been asked already, but this thread is so big and I'm to lazy to look. LOL. Does anyone know which rooms (#'s) are the standard view in the garden wing?? Also does anyone have any photos of the views from those rooms?? :confused3
Thanks for any info.:)

A long time ago I remember reading a thread where someone mentioned they reserved the Tower - Magic Kingdom View and when they checked in they were told that they got upgraded to the Atrium Club - Bay Lake View. Now if any of you got that specifc upgrade would you want to accept it? The reason I ask is I believe the person who posted that said they didn't want to accept it because they just wanted the Magic Kingdom View, which is why they made that specifc reservation and I think they didn't consider it an upgrade because they were not getting the view they wanted, even though all the Club Level offerings and etc would make it a better upgrade on paper and the fact those rooms would be more expensive. So even though you could still see the Magic Kingdom from the lounge would that be reason enough to accept the upgrade along with everything staying Club Level offers, despite the fact you would end up with the Bay Lake View?

While it is tempting, we would turn it down also. The MK view really makes the difference to us. We like a variety of foods and usually by day 2 or 3 we don't use the CL services enough to make that much of a difference. We are big park people and end up missing the midday meals and evening apps.

I have a question about the elevators in CR Tower, I normally request close to elevator but I am wondering if this is even necessary since the elevators in CR are located in the center on each floor near rooms xx36/xx37 and I am also wondering if they are noisy. I have not put in room requests to my reservation yet and know I want to request 11th floor, odd # room, just not sure about my usual elevator request.

TIA

This ? may have been asked already, but this thread is so big and I'm to lazy to look. LOL. Does anyone know which rooms (#'s) are the standard view in the garden wing?? Also does anyone have any photos of the views from those rooms?? :confused3
Thanks for any info.:)
Here is a view looking down at the Garden Wing. The rooms that front the parking lot are the standard rooms. They have views of the parking lot and the monorail:

Photos from: http://www.disneycontemporary.com/content/rooms

r100%20(2).jpg

This is a view from the entrance, which would be similar to a ground floor view from a standard room:

r404.jpg

The GW standard rooms are located on the map in front of the word "PARKING"

ContemporaryMap.gif

I have a question about the elevators in CR Tower, I normally request close to elevator but I am wondering if this is even necessary since the elevators in CR are located in the center on each floor near rooms xx36/xx37 and I am also wondering if they are noisy. I have not put in room requests to my reservation yet and know I want to request 11th floor, odd # room, just not sure about my usual elevator request.

TIA
I am very noise sensitive, but in the Tower the elevator noise has never been an issue for me. They are literally in the middle of the building so they aren't really close enough to even the closest room to be a noise problem. The furthest room would take maybe 30 seconds to walk to.

Except for our August stay, we're always "far from Chef Mickey's" which also puts us far from the elevator. But I did not ever hear the elevator in August when we were close to it.

In an attempt to get the requests most important to you, I would limit it to a couple of requests and in the order of importance.

TIA

We were really close to the elevators in Aug and did not notice any noise from them. Even if you were the very farthest away from the elevators, you would still be within a minute's walk. Very close.

Hi guys!
We are headed to the airport at the end of the week! :cool1::cool1::banana::banana::cool1::cool1: I am starting to pack and need help with a few things. I know you guys will have the answers. :worship:
Are there robes in the 2 bedroom villas?
What type of coffee filters do I need to bring with me?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. YOu are the experts afterall. :worship::worship::worship:

TIA
Personally I don't think it's a big deal to stay close to the elevators because even if you are given a room at either end of the hallway it's still a very fast walk to the elevator and a lot shorter compared to other resorts like the Boardwalk where the hallway never seems to end.

I am very noise sensitive, but in the Tower the elevator noise has never been an issue for me. They are literally in the middle of the building so they aren't really close enough to even the closest room to be a noise problem. The furthest room would take maybe 30 seconds to walk to.

Except for our August stay, we're always "far from Chef Mickey's" which also puts us far from the elevator. But I did not ever hear the elevator in August when we were close to it.

In an attempt to get the requests most important to you, I would limit it to a couple of requests and in the order of importance.

We were really close to the elevators in Aug and did not notice any noise from them. Even if you were the very farthest away from the elevators, you would still be within a minute's walk. Very close.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal to stay close to the elevators because even if you are given a room at either end of the hallway it's still a very fast walk to the elevator and a lot shorter compared to other resorts like the Boardwalk where the hallway never seems to end.

It seems I will not worry about the distance to the elevators since you all agree it is not much of a walk no matter where your room is. I think it is going to be very nice with everything in one building and so centralized as opposed to being spread out like some of the resorts.

It seems I will not worry about the distance to the elevators since you all agree it is not much of a walk no matter where your room is. I think it is going to be very nice with everything in one building and so centralized as opposed to being spread out like some of the resorts.
With all their restaurants, stores, Monorail station and etc being located inside the Tower is one of the best reasons to stay there, so I am sure you will have a great time.

Just curious as to why at the beginning of this thread it says that all the room at the CR were refurbished. Just left the CR and we were originally in room 4915 on the 14th floor and this room has not been refurbished. It looked like the 1970's. We changed rooms and the CM told us that that floor is due to be refurbished starting in July. If I had known this I definitely would not have done that level now. We changed rooms but I do kind of feel like I really spent too much money for the room.

Just curious as to why at the beginning of this thread it says that all the room at the CR were refurbished. Just left the CR and we were originally in room 4915 on the 14th floor and this room has not been refurbished. It looked like the 1970's. We changed rooms and the CM told us that that floor is due to be refurbished starting in July. If I had known this I definitely would not have done that level now. We changed rooms but I do kind of feel like I really spent too much money for the room.
The rooms on the 14th floor didn't get the full renovation design like the other Tower and Garden Wing rooms got.

...How the Contemporary was named?

In David Koenig’s book, Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World, the working title everyone referred to the hotel as was the Contemporary Hotel. Marty Sklar always had reservations about using that name as it might “stick.” In early 1971 they came up with the permanent name, the Tempo Bay Hotel. Roy Disney had also known the hotel as the Contemporary Hotel and when he saw the plans for a Tempo Bay Hotel he wanted to know what that hotel was. When he learned the Contemporary was only the working title, he said, “I just don’t like it. I like Contemporary. I like names that are simple and say what they are. The other name is phony and plastic.” Shortly after that everything was changed – again – and now bore its new name – the Contemporary Resort Hotel.

From: http://www.wdwnewstoday.com/2010/01/29/a-contemporary-classic-by-chuck-mirarchi/

Wow, I didn't know that! Something to remember when I am there at the end of next week. Thanks!!
:santa:

Have a question about getting back to CR after Epcot EMH. I did a search and read a thread stating that the monorail runs 90 minutes after park closing. So if Epcot has evening EMH, it would run until 1:30 am, correct? However, if MK closes at 9:00 that same night, that suggests the MK monorail runs only until 10:30. Can I assume that they will still run the resort monorail long enough for monorail resort guests to get back to their rooms after an Epcot EMH evening?

Thanks!

Have a question about getting back to CR after Epcot EMH. I did a search and read a thread stating that the monorail runs 90 minutes after park closing. So if Epcot has evening EMH, it would run until 1:30 am, correct? However, if MK closes at 9:00 that same night, that suggests the MK monorail runs only until 10:30. Can I assume that they will still run the resort monorail long enough for monorail resort guests to get back to their rooms after an Epcot EMH evening?

Thanks!

Wow good question, that never crossed my mind, but I am now curious as well. popcorn::

Thanks!
Yes the Resort Monorail should be still running until there are no more guests and they would know that Epcot is having PM Extra Magic Hours, despite the Magic Kingdom closing early. Plus don't forget there will be guests who stay at the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian who will need the Resort Monorail when going to the other resorts for ADR's or looking around, plus the guests who are not staying at them who need to take the Resort Monorail back to the Magic Kingdom to get on their WDW Resort bus or getting to the TTC.

I have to come here to report that I LOVE THE CONTEMPORARY. We were in Disney Oct 21-30. We were booked the entire stay at POR. We stayed at the CR 2 years ago and loved it. I booked POR as it was the 1st place we ever stayed when it was Dixie Landings. From the minute we arrived I knew it was a mistake. On day 3 we transferred to a garden wing room at CR. POR even drove us and our luggage.

The second I stepped into the lobby I knew we were where we were supposed to be.

:love:

I have to come here to report that I LOVE THE CONTEMPORARY. We were in Disney Oct 21-30. We were booked the entire stay at POR. We stayed at the CR 2 years ago and loved it. I booked POR as it was the 1st place we ever stayed when it was Dixie Landings. From the minute we arrived I knew it was a mistake. On day 3 we transferred to a garden wing room at CR. POR even drove us and our luggage.

The second I stepped into the lobby I knew we were where we were supposed to be.

:love:
It's great that you were able to change your reservation and that you enjoyed the Contemporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter