The Alaskan Jewel! Welcome Aboard….You don’t Exist!

As we stood outside taking in all the sites I was also interested in all the construction going on.

pm16 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm17 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This banner was on a fence and I used to collect pig things (until I married a dairy farmer. LOL).

pm18 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We went back inside to check more of the market out.

pm19 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm20 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This next flower picture would’ve been really neat had it been more in focus.

pm21 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I started taking pictures of the fruits and vegetables and Skip thought I was crazy. I told him they are artsy shots and the colors make great pictures.

pike6 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pike7 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I took this next one for my older daughter Paige….She used to use this word instead of cussing in her teens.

pm5 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pike8 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pike9 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pike10 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm22 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

MMMM! More crab legs!

pm23 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm8 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm24 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Obviously this whole fish out in the open thing fascinated me.

pm25 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm26 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

MMMM! Sweets!

pm27 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm28 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

If I didn’t have cheesecake waiting for me already I probably would’ve bought something.

pm29 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Speaking of the cheesecake! Skip was still carrying the bag and my piece was on top and kept flopping on its side. It looked like a complete mess inside its little box. If I had been thinking clearly I should’ve taken it out of that bag and put it in the bag that Claire was carrying…..of course I am sure she was pretty wild with her bag, so it probably would have not been any better off.

On to more market sites.

pm6 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm30 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm31 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And then we saw it! Something we had hoped to witness! Fish throwing….However I was more in a daze of watching than shooting and totally missed the shots of the fish in the air.

pm32 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

pm33 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I did however get splatter with fish goo! The lady next to me also missed the shot and asked them to throw it again, but they wouldn’t.

pm34 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This thing is creepy.

pm35 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

That might’ve been the fake fish. They had one that they would use to scare people. The guy would push a button behind the counter and it would move and make a noise and people would jump out of their skin. It was pretty funny…and luckily I saw it early on and didn’t get fooled.

Many of the market places were closing up now or getting ready to so we decided to head back to the hotel. Skip was tired and Claire was complaining of being in pain. After a hearing it over and over I told her she better toughen up as we had a week of busy adventures ahead of us. That’s when she told me her feet and legs were fine…it was the shorts she was wearing under her dress that were rubbing on her legs wrong. OOOOHH! I told her she could whip them off there and I would cover her but she passed on that idea.

Skip found a route back that had less of an incline so it was easier to walk. We also argued about which way back to the hotel, but in the end we both were kind of right. I said this way and he said that, but we needed to make a combination of both to get there.

We were impressed with the buses on the cables. Not something you ever see here at home.

sea39 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

sea40 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And we watched them attach and detach cables from buses.

sea41 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

One thing we found funny was that people would just start talking to us as we walked. Now yes in parts it was sales people or homeless wanting you to buy their goods. I am good at just ignoring, but Skip stops and I always think he will get suckered into buying some piece of crap. But also just regular people would chat with us like we were old buddies.

We are kind of a sarcastic family and we were making some sarcastic jokes and one guy was really into our conversation. He seemed to just love us. Then this went by.

sea42 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Pig? Armadillo? Aardvark? No clue, but this guy was all about helping us guess what it was. Skip said it had to be a pig and most likely a food truck selling pork. The guy was praying it wasn’t one of the other two and selling those kinds of meats.

After a few blocks our friend turned and he said goodbye like we were all best pals.

I want to note the weather by the way…hot! It was at least in the mid 80’s and clear and pretty humid. Most of the locals had said it had been pretty much in the 90’s lately and was much warmer than they were used to. It was hot, but I didn’t mind too much because it was nice to see the city and the clear skies.

We kept walking and spotted a trolley…again not an usual site, though Toledo does have them to rent out for special occasions.

sea43 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We finally made it back to the Crowne Plaza…..a little out of breath from all the hill climbing we did. Going towards the water is downhill. Coming back is up…keep that in mind when you take off walking!

There was a smoking area just outside the front doors of the hotel. We stopped there and I saw this across the street and tried to take a picture between the cars going by. Not a great picture and I never walked over to look at it more closely, but it looks like a whale tale, but not sure what the stuff stacked on top is supposed to represent.

sea44 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We then headed back to our room.

Coming up…the night is still young…some of us are still full of energy….some of us not so much!

Last edited:
So weird as I replied to these yesterday and they are not here???

I probably did walk by Starbucks then at some point.

They probably thought they took a lot too. hahaha. I took quite a few of the ship, but looking back I wish I did take more.

Now I might have to mark that down and make some random trip up to MI. LOL.

A lot of people even miss that Starbucks when they are looking because it looks so different - they have their old original sign which isn't even green, lol! :) Its way more dirty sailor than their current siren.

I love taking pictures and share them, but then they just go on my hard drive into picture purgatory... my husband is the photo editor. With our trip to Europe in a couple weeks I am going to try to turn over a new leaf though. We have a travel blog and I am going to MAKE myself actually write out our trip this time! Pinky swear (we'll see...)

After all this crab leg talk and pictures I certainly hope you got your fill..! I thought I wasn't much of a crab person until I had the King Crab in Alaska - now I have dreams of getting some at home (but its $35/lb so I haven't, lol!)

Aren't the flowers in Pike's Market amazing?? I so want to buy a bunch, but since we are always only in Seattle for one day before heading home, I'm sure the airlines won't let me fly with them. We will be there again next month after our Hawaii cruise ends in Vancouver.
We have been to the original Starbuck's, its always crazy busy with a line out the door.

You had an amazing day in Seattle, the sky was beautiful.
Both times we have been there it has been gloomy, hoping the 3rd time will be a charm with a day like you had. :)

A lot of people even miss that Starbucks when they are looking because it looks so different - they have their old original sign which isn't even green, lol! :) Its way more dirty sailor than their current siren.

I love taking pictures and share them, but then they just go on my hard drive into picture purgatory... my husband is the photo editor. With our trip to Europe in a couple weeks I am going to try to turn over a new leaf though. We have a travel blog and I am going to MAKE myself actually write out our trip this time! Pinky swear (we'll see...)

After all this crab leg talk and pictures I certainly hope you got your fill..! I thought I wasn't much of a crab person until I had the King Crab in Alaska - now I have dreams of getting some at home (but its $35/lb so I haven't, lol!)

I had heard it was often busy. I am not a coffee drinker but I do like a strawberry frapacinno!
Yes, you should write about your trip. It helps keep the memories going and you can look back later and remember all you did.
I did eventually get some. Yes it is really expensive too. Not something I normally have for sure.

Aren't the flowers in Pike's Market amazing?? I so want to buy a bunch, but since we are always only in Seattle for one day before heading home, I'm sure the airlines won't let me fly with them. We will be there again next month after our Hawaii cruise ends in Vancouver.
We have been to the original Starbuck's, its always crazy busy with a line out the door.

You had an amazing day in Seattle, the sky was beautiful.
Both times we have been there it has been gloomy, hoping the 3rd time will be a charm with a day like you had. :)

Those flowers were so pretty. I have heard people buying some to take on the ship and I always wondered how that was allowed too.
I am so jealous of your Hawaiin cruise...another bucketlist item...That one is probably never going to be obtained sadly.
Yes I had heard how gloomy all the ports and Seattle would be but we had great weather really most of the time...at least where it counted most.

Now I might have to mark that down and make some random trip up to MI. LOL.

It's a very nice mall, very high end.
http://www.shoptwelveoaks.com

When we were craving Cheesecake Factory we used to take a little day trip to Cleveland. One day I was on the Cheesecake Factory website & was just see if there was anything new closer & low & behold there it was! We usually do our birthdays up there.

I am all caught up again. For some reason I am not getting any notifications for this thread.

The hotel looks nice and I am glad that you found the Cheesecake Factory. We have eaten at that particular one, too.

You at least got very close to the original Starbucks. The photo that you took from the hill with the Public Market sign is pretty much right next to it. If you continue down the hill and make a right, the Starbucks is two or three buildings from that intersection on the opposite side of the road from the market.

Corinna

I am all caught up again. For some reason I am not getting any notifications for this thread.

The hotel looks nice and I am glad that you found the Cheesecake Factory. We have eaten at that particular one, too.

You at least got very close to the original Starbucks. The photo that you took from the hill with the Public Market sign is pretty much right next to it. If you continue down the hill and make a right, the Starbucks is two or three buildings from that intersection on the opposite side of the road from the market.

Corinna

I still have issues off and on with notifications. I am not a fan of the new site.

I was just reading a blog of someone in seattle and they ate at that Cheesecake Factory too.

I know going down the hill there was a starbucks...so right around the corner there is another one too? I guess it doesn't surprise me as their seemed to be one on about every other block.

It's a very nice mall, very high end.
http://www.shoptwelveoaks.com

When we were craving Cheesecake Factory we used to take a little day trip to Cleveland. One day I was on the Cheesecake Factory website & was just see if there was anything new closer & low & behold there it was! We usually do our birthdays up there.

I think my sister goes shopping there every so often.
I did see some near Cleveland when I was searching for things to do for the spring trip we took, but going to one was really out of our way, so we didn't. I do try to go to the one in Columbus when I am down there to visit my sister.

I believe it was not too much past 6 by the time we got back to our room. I unpacked the cheesecakes from the bags. This is how mine looked.

sea45 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

cheese4 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I for the life of me can’t remember what kind I got. I think either snickers or some sort of peanut butter cup. I am almost positive I went with snickers this time though. Not so pretty anymore is it?

Claire got strawberry cheesecake while Skip got carrot cheesecake….ick. I totally am not a fan of any kind of carrot cake, but he did say it was good.

sea46 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I put them in the fridge as well as the leftover food box.
Claire ripped off those horrid shorts that were rubbing on her legs and Skip then climbed into bed. He was beat. Now sure it was after 9 at home, but that is still fairly early. And here, it was still daylight and I just hated thinking about going to bed already or even just hanging in the room the rest of the night. There is a chance I will never get back to Seattle again in my lifetime.

There was one thing I really wanted to do, but didn’t officially plan it as I knew it probably wasn’t of interest to Skip and also I wasn’t sure on how much time we would have. With the time difference and travel I knew we may be a bit tired early. My plan actually had been to see how early we had to catch the bus in the morning and if time allowed I would venture off to this place on my own first thing in the morning.

So at this point I mentioned to Skip and Claire that I wanted to possibly go to the Chihuly Garden and Glass tonight. I saw that it was open till 10PM and I wasn’t tired. Well I was, but I had the adrenaline going as well.

Skip asked what it was and I explained. Claire understood as a couple of years we had seen a Chilhuly display in Columbus OH at the Conservatory. They had a special display but I do think they have pieces there year round as well. We loved it and I am a bit of a Chihuly fan because he did the chandeliers on the Disney Magic and Wonder. Sadly the Magic’s has been replaced in the refurb 2 years ago.
In case you are wondering what it looked like….I got a pic.

Or 2…..

Skip was much too tired to go anywhere but didn’t mind if I went. I asked Claire and she was game! So we headed down to the lobby. I had a general idea as to where it was, but I didn’t want to go blindly. I also knew it was probably at least a 20-30 minute walk each way. I stopped at the concierge desk and ask for the easiest route to get there and she handed me a map and outlined it all for me. Then she told me there was a monorail a few blocks away (I think 5 or 6) and that it went directly there and back and it ran back and forth continuously. The ride itself was only a few minutes and I think she said it was typically about 15-20 minutes between trains. And the cost…I think it was $2.25 per person each way and kids were $1. That sounded perfect! We would get to experience something else in Seattle and another highlight for me…the Chihuly Garden and Glass are located right underneath the Seattle Space Needle. You can’t come all the way to Seattle and not at least take a look at this…right?

Claire and I packed up and headed back out once again.

sea47 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

At this corner there were a ton of police cars surrounding this store. Both sides of the store had cars and people were all milling about to see why the area was blocked off.

sea48 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

From what I could gather, some guy was going crazy and trying to cut himself. I have no clue if that is what it actually was, but that is what people near us were saying as we walked across the street.

I believe we had to go to the 2nd or 3rd floor to catch the monorail, which was located on the side of a shopping center. We climbed the stairs and bought roundtrip tickets….after all we didn’t really want to walk back either if we could avoid it…..then we went into the waiting area. Just keep in mind they ONLY except cash. I paid in cash but I saw some people try to pay with a credit card and they were told they couldn’t. One person had to borrow from another to pay for their tickets.

The monorail was built to get people from the 1962 World’s Fair from the fairgrounds to the main city area.

sea49 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

It looked and had the feel of the 60’s too. Still it was kind of neat. I just kept thinking about the Disney movie Tomorrowland. That movie was not set in this particular World’s Fair, but it has the same vibe.

The side we were standing on got a little full but I noticed the other side of the ticket both was also waiting with next to no one over there so Claire and I stepped over there to wait. We saw the train come and we moved up right by the gate to be let in. I realized that we could be near the front and see everything pretty well since there was no one over here and we would be the first on in the first set of doors…..yeah, that didn’t work.

mono1 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Just as the train stopped, this lady walked between me and the railing…..which was not a lot of room…and stood directly in front of me. Her kid and another family member walked around Claire and then stood with her. Ok, I thought …what a B! yep…Seriously how rude. Did she think it was ok to cut right in front of me and then stand directly in front of me? No manners what so ever! I know Claire didn’t quite catch on to what she was doing, but I told her once we boarded the train.

We did get a decent seat, but this lady got the 2 front best seats and saved the rows for other members who were getting on. I could tell the kid was a bit scared when she saw me walking right there towards her seat…but I veered and sat at another one nearby. LOL.
It just irked me. Now I didn’t have to have the front seat, but it would’ve been nice to have it since I was technically lined up to walk in first…and I wasn’t even trying at that point.

A look at the inside.

sea50 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Our driver had the pizazz of a snail.

sea51 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Off we go!

sea52 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

See the girl in the striped shirt…yeah that should’ve been our seat.

sea53 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

There it is! It was exciting to finally see the Space Needle…and I “might” have taken 500 zillion pictures of it during the course of the evening.

sea54 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

sea55 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

sea56 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

As we came to the station we went through this area/building that was bright pink and I think Aqua blue. I meant to take another picture of it later, but never did.

sea57 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I have no idea why it was these colors or what it is? I wasn’t sure if it was something left from the World’s Fair days? Something new? Something old with a new twist?

We exited the monorail and headed down to get our bearings. Of course we had to take a few more pictures.

needle1 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

sea58 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We were really thirsty at this point so the first task was to find something to drink. Which we did by walking a little ways and finding some stands that sold treats and drinks. We bought a diet coke to share and took a couple of big swigs to quench our thirsts.
We stared up at the Space Needle for a bit.

sea59 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I asked Claire if she would like me to inquire about going up to the top and she said Heck No! LOL. Ok, I had at one time thought about trying to get reservations to eat up in there but decided I didn’t want to commit to that expensive of a meal and then have something happened where we were delayed and not make it….good thing I didn’t.

I really loved the elevator cars….they looked so retro to me.

sea61 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We followed the signs pointing to the Chihuly Gardens.

sea62 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Another look up.

sea63 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Seeing this sign is a good sign we are in the right place.

sea60 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And here we are.

chi26 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Since I have been home I have tried to find some pictures from the 1962 World’s Fair and this building appears to have been part of it….what it was at the time I am not sure as I really didn’t investigate it too much.

These are interesting.

chi27 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We got in line to purchase our tickets. You could also purchase a combo ticket and schedule an elevator ride to the top of the Space Needle and I asked Claire once again if she wanted to and she said no way once again. The line wasn’t too long, but it moved rather slowly…mainly due to people asking questions.

I did overhear one family purchasing the combo ticket and their scheduled time for the elevator was after 9 PM. At that point I was glad Claire didn’t want to ride it so we weren’t committed to staying here that long.

We purchased our tickets and given a brochure. Our transaction went rather fast, so I am not sure why the others were so slow. It is pretty pricey though. I think for the 2 of us it was around $42. But I took over 100 pictures in there..so maybe forgo the cost and just join me on my tour! LOL

Up next…Chihuly Garden and Glass!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of glass!!! I've taken some of the glass classes at Toledo Museum of Art that they offer on Friday nights & Saturdays during the day. Have you taken any?

I'm a big fan of glass!!! I've taken some of the glass classes at Toledo Museum of Art that they offer on Friday nights & Saturdays during the day. Have you taken any?

I have not. I may have to look into that. Several years ago I took several photography classes there and I loved them. I learned stuff and it was a nice night out as well. I should look to see if they offer any of those any more as well.

Seattle is high up on my lists of places to check out. I really want to see Pike Place Market and the Chilhuly garden.

Jill in CO

I can't quite tell from that one picture but I think the mystery building is the EMP (Experience Music Project) Museum. Supposedly very cool, but I have yet to go. I've also never been to the glass museum and had no idea it was even there! We went up the Needle a bunch when I was a kid so I haven't been back to that specific spot in years. Can't wait to see all of your pictures! :D

People on mass transit here do that all the time. I don't get it... generally we're easy going but somehow when it comes to getting on a train...ugh. Every morning someone cuts me off while I wait my turn to get on while people are getting off. They try to just shove right by for the seats. Drives me crazy! :(

I know going down the hill there was a starbucks...so right around the corner there is another one too?

Yes, there is one at virtually every corner.

That stinks that people pushed in front of you at the monorail. We rode the monorail as well and on the way back we got the front seats.

I am glad that you made it to Chihuly Garden and Glass. This was my highlight for our visit in Seattle. Even Graham enjoyed it. I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

What a shame that you did not make it up the Space Needle. The views from there are stunning.

Corinna

Seattle is high up on my lists of places to check out. I really want to see Pike Place Market and the Chilhuly garden.

Jill in CO

Both were great highlights for me!

I can't quite tell from that one picture but I think the mystery building is the EMP (Experience Music Project) Museum. Supposedly very cool, but I have yet to go. I've also never been to the glass museum and had no idea it was even there! We went up the Needle a bunch when I was a kid so I haven't been back to that specific spot in years. Can't wait to see all of your pictures! :D

People on mass transit here do that all the time. I don't get it... generally we're easy going but somehow when it comes to getting on a train...ugh. Every morning someone cuts me off while I wait my turn to get on while people are getting off. They try to just shove right by for the seats. Drives me crazy! :(

I post on a couple of forums and someone on another said it was that too. They said the building is ugly but it kind of grows on you...like mold!

Yes, there is one at virtually every corner.

That stinks that people pushed in front of you at the monorail. We rode the monorail as well and on the way back we got the front seats.

I am glad that you made it to Chihuly Garden and Glass. This was my highlight for our visit in Seattle. Even Graham enjoyed it. I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

What a shame that you did not make it up the Space Needle. The views from there are stunning.

Corinna

The Chihuly Gardean and Glass was just amazing!!!

Warning…..the next update is REALLY long and picture intense. If this doesn’t interest you, then just go ahead and scroll through. The good thing is, it will be the end of this day and the next day we board the Jewel!!!!!

With tickets in hand we headed towards the entrance to the exhibit. There were pictures lining the wall that looked to have info on Dale Chihuly but we did not stop to read them.

We handed over our tickets and were stamped in case we wanted to come back in later yet tonight and were on our way.

The first room we entered is the Glass Forest! And OH MY WORD! It was stunning! I think we both gasped.

ch1 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Phone pic…which isn’t quite the same….but I was posting to facebook as I was taking them too!

chi1 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

After that we entered the Northwest Room….again it was beautiful.

ch2 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

ch3 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And from there we went into the SeaLife Room.

ch4 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

ch5 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi28 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi29 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The next room is the Persain Ceiling room. All the glass was enclosed in the ceiling and it was so cool.

chi30 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi31 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi32 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi3 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi33 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We noticed several people just sitting on benches in here hanging out.

chi34 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi35 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi36 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

After looking at all the different objects in the ceiling we moved to the Mille Fiori room. Another big WOW for us.

chi37 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi38 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Evidently, no matter how hard I try I can’t stand straight and take a picture. LOL!

chi5 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We circled around the display taking in all the details.

chi39 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi40 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi41 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

There is my Claire bear!

chi4 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi42 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi43 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Just imagine the time and work it takes to put these displays together.

chi44 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi45 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi46 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi47 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi48 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi49 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I just loved all the little details in here.

chi50 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The next room we entered is the Ikebana and Float Boat. This was by far my favorite room.

chi51 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi54 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi52 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi53 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi55 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi56 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We stood in there for quite some time just taking it in…but finally we moved on to the Chandeliers.

chi57 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi58 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi18 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi17 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi59 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi19 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi60 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The pieces are all beautiful, but having them in dark rooms with the right lighting just made them even better.

chi61 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We then entered the Macchia Forest.

chi62 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi63 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi64 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi65 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Claire wanted her picture here, but she blinked!

chi66 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This is inside a bowl.

chi67 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi68 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We then headed out to the Glasshouse.

chi69 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi70 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Trying to take a selfie with the Space Needle behind us.

chi25 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi9 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi71 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi72 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

There was a Chandelier walkway outside.

chi73 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I played with different focal points in the next 2 pictures.

chi74 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi75 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We then went out to check out the Garden.

chi76 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi77 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

A lot of these displays were similar in set up to some we had seen in Columbus.

chi78 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi79 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi80 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi81 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi82 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi83 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I thought this one was a bit strange.

chi84 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

It was like something you would find in Whoville.

chi85 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi87 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi86 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi88 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi89 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi90 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi21 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi91 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi20 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi92 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This yellow thing REALLY sparkled.

chi93 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi23 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi24 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi94 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

It was here that I noticed the balls were picking up the reflection of the Space Needle. How cool is that?

chi95 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Of course I mentioned it to Claire and several people came running over to get a shot. LOL.

chi96 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Again, trying to play with focus points.

chi97 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi98 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

If you haven’t noticed, I like photography. Sometimes I play around, sometimes I really try for great shots…..and sometimes I just snap away.

needle2 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi10 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi13 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

OMG - these are beautiful! I have to make plans to go visit. I''m disappointed that they took a the one down on the Magic. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2

Now I had noticed that many of the balls were reflecting the Space Needle and was taking lots of different shots.

chi99 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi14 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi15 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi100 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi101 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi102 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Evidently I walked by the Yellow sparkly thing again.

chi103 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi104 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi105 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Looks good enough to eat!

chi106 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi107 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And a few flowers as well!

chi108 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi109 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi110 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

chi111 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I really thought it was neat to see these military guys enjoying the gardens as well and taking pictures.

chi112 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And with that we headed out. If you made it through all the pictures with me thanks….I know it was a lot, but this place was just so stunning to me and I really enjoyed taking and editing every single one. I know this type of place isn’t for everyone, but it really made my trip to Seattle.

Some people think of the city they cruise out of as just a stop for a pre-cruise night. And yes sometimes that is all it is for me to. But I usually try to make it better than that if I can. I want to explore a bit, especially if I have never been there before. When I search for things to do in port cities I often come to sites like Cruise Critic to see what others do or suggest. I was so happy to get a small taste of Seattle this day and I hope my experiences will help others who want a taste of Seattle before they cruise as well.

We did browse the gift shop, but it was so crowded and full of glass and that made me nervous so we headed outside.

We walked around a little bit, taking in the scenery.

sea64 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

sea65 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

sea66 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

At this point we were getting pretty tired. I think it was around 8Pm if I remember right, but it was 11 at home. We found a bench and rested for a bit. I messaged back and forth with some of my friends who were asking about our day. We then went in the shop under the Space Needle where I bought a magnet and browsed a bit.

Then back to the monorail for our return trip. Sure enough, we had a similar issue as before. This time Claire did want to sit in the front, but I did tell her I wasn’t fighting for the spot. Just before the train arrived we had another large family scoot over and stand in front of the gate. I could tell Claire was disappointed but I was too tired to even worry about it. And we got a similar seat again on this trip back and we were perfectly fine.

sea67 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

sea68 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Once off the monorail we walked back to the Crown Plaza. We needed something to drink so we went to the little shop off to the side in the lobby and got a couple of pops. I took a few pictures while we were there.

cp11 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

cp12 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

cp13 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

cp14 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We had to pay for them at the desk and there was a little wait. Several pilots had just come to check in. This must be a big place for the air crew to stay because we saw several pilots and flight attendants here and we saw vans come and go dropping off and picking up.

cp15 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

cp16 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We then headed back to the room and got comfy. I ate my cheesecake and it was delicious. Skip barely budged when we came in and we laughed how he was been sleeping already and we were out on the town.

I took a few night time pictures of our view and then I headed off to sleep myself.

sea30 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

sea31 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Tomorrow would be an exciting day and we could hardly wait!

OMG - these are beautiful! I have to make plans to go visit. I''m disappointed that they took a the one down on the Magic. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2

It really was such an amazing place.
I am sad they took it off the Magic too. I am not for sure, but I thought I read it is on display somewhere though...not sure where.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter