The Alaska Cruise

Sheriff Woody

Mouseketeer
Is the Alaska cruise worth the points? I'd have to borrow next year's points to book the cruise, but I'm considering it. Will there be anything for my kids (ages 10 & 5) to do? Thanks!

I am sorry I do not have an answer, but we are wondering about this too!!

TIA for any advice -

Ellen and Brian

Is the Alaska cruise worth the points? I'd have to borrow next year's points to book the cruise, but I'm considering it. Will there be anything for my kids (ages 10 & 5) to do? Thanks!
No cruise is truly worth the points it costs through DVC. Far too many points and far too many negatives regardless of the cost comparison. It is safer to rent out the points and pay cash and at a much better exchange rate.

I've been on many cruises, including Alaska twice(before the kids). Holland America is the one line that I have never been on before, they always appeared a little "stuffy" to me. I have a 10 & 5 year old and we will probably take them up to Alaska in a couple of years, I know they would love it, but I prefer Princess. You find less kids on Alaska cruises and they tend to be older (8 & up)than a bunch of little ones.

Plus with early booking discounts I know you can get a better bang for your buck and be able to choose a cruise line that works for you. Unless you're on the west coast the airfare is a killer in price and logistics(unless you do a r/t out of Seattle).

I've been on 2 Alaska cruises with Holland America, once when my DD was 6 and again when she was 9y. Both times she enjoyed the kids club tremendously. The groups are smaller and more intimate because there are less children on board compared to Carnival or Disney, but the counsellors are excellent. The children receive fun information and they even get rangers on board to teach them about the glaciers and the wildlife in Alaska.
As for using points, for the cabin I think the point use for this cruise which is an outside category is more cost efficient than using points for the Disney cruise. Since Holland America usually have sales for the 3rd and 4th person in the cabin you can frequently get the child cash rate for $199 plus $50 tax for the week even in a deluxe suite. If DVC will allow you to use the special cash offer for the children when they are advertised it may work out pretty well for you.:wizard:

We've been on HAL 5x to Alaska and (obviously) love it. We have never used our points, as paying cash for the cruise makes better sense - to us at least. Also, if not using points and you (or anyone in your party) have ever sailed on any one of Carnival Corp. Lines (Carnival, HAL, Princess, Cunard, Costa, Seaborne and Windstar), you will be eligible for 'past passenger' pricing on HAL. It may not be a big discount, but it is something. It can also be a good price - in May 2003 we paid somewhere in the $1,600/1,800pp range for a 'S' suite on a 'Mariner Appreciation' (their repeat passenger society) cruise. In May 2005, it was $1,600/1,700pp for our regular outside cabin. You never know unless you look into the cost. Alaska cruises are a GREAT family vacation and have been booming in popularity, so prices have been definitely going up, up up...

We've been on HAL 5x to Alaska and (obviously) love it. We have never used our points, as paying cash for the cruise makes better sense - to us at least. Also, if not using points and you (or anyone in your party) have ever sailed on any one of Carnival Corp. Lines (Carnival, HAL, Princess, Cunard, Costa, Seaborne and Windstar), you will be eligible for 'past passenger' pricing on HAL. It may not be a big discount, but it is something. It can also be a good price - in May 2003 we paid somewhere in the $1,600/1,800pp range for a 'S' suite on a 'Mariner Appreciation' (their repeat passenger society) cruise. In May 2005, it was $1,600/1,700pp for our regular outside cabin. You never know unless you look into the cost. Alaska cruises are a GREAT family vacation and have been booming in popularity, so prices have been definitely going up, up up...

I did my first Alaska cruise in 1980 on the original Pacific Princess(the Love Boat), the "natives" were crying back then too many ships(a mere pitance with the fleet up there now). Back in 1995 on the Crown Princess, Skagway had certainly changed. The amount of ships doing the various Alaska runs in 1995 was staggering back(Day we left Princess had 2 ships departing Vancouver) then, I can't imagine what some of the ports look like(maybe like St. Thomas on a busy day).

I looked for this year and even if you have never cruised there are/were some early booking discounts. You can usually only use one type of discount.

We were on the Island Princess for our Alaska cruise in 2005. The ports really CAN be very crowded! We love Princess though, in particular because they have all the best land locations. We did (and will do again) the land/cruise option as we loved Fairbanks, Denali, etc. Going on "just" the cruise you miss a lot of Alaska.

We were on the Island Princess for our Alaska cruise in 2005. The ports really CAN be very crowded! We love Princess though, in particular because they have all the best land locations. We did (and will do again) the land/cruise option as we loved Fairbanks, Denali, etc. Going on "just" the cruise you miss a lot of Alaska.

That's why I want to do Princess again! We're figuring on 2009 to take the boys. None of the roundtrip out of Seattle trips for me.

That's why I want to do Princess again! We're figuring on 2009 to take the boys. None of the roundtrip out of Seattle trips for me.

2009 is probably our next planned trip, too. We want to go for every 5th anniversary and our 5th would be 12/08

We did the HAL Cruise using our DVC points. We emotionally "justified" our DVC purchase because an Alaskan cruise was on our vacation to do list. LOL! I would have to agree with other the other posts... if you want to rent out the points and purchase your cruise... you might be better off.

We enjoyed our experience with HAL and are planning a re-do next year.

We did the HAL Cruise using our DVC points. We emotionally "justified" our DVC purchase because an Alaskan cruise was on our vacation to do list. LOL! I would have to agree with other the other posts... if you want to rent out the points and purchase your cruise... you might be better off.

We enjoyed our experience with HAL and are planning a re-do next year.
At least your honest, many members tend to fool even themselves into thinking it's a good deal.

We have a Alaska Cruise Booked with Celebrity this July. I booked the Air from the East Coast to Vancover then back from Anckorage to our home through American Express Membership Rewards Points. Transferred them to Delta Sky Miles. I purchased 11 tickets for $20.00 each. I am mentioning this, in case you have this. The air was about $800.00 per ticket. You can pay for the cruise. We are going a day early, to make sure there are no airport delays.

We used our points for the HAL Alaska cruise last summer. At the time I booked it I posted some info on using points vs. cash in this thread. I also posted a mini-review when I returned on the HAL board at cruisecritic.com. Search for the same user name.

Len.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter