• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The age old question: Two rooms at Pop or ASMu Suite?

preschoolmom

DIS Veteran
My next trip is a long way off (18 months, LOL) - but we just got back - and I'm so excited to start planning again!

We stayed at the Contemporary for our first trip - but this time, I want to try a value (and go for more days!) :cool1: :thumbsup2

Soooo, how risky is it to ask for connecting rooms at Pop? Am I likely to get them? It would honestly ruin a family vacation for us, if we had to stay in separate rooms... I would consider booking the ASMu Suite - just to reduce that stress - plus I love the fridge.

That said - Pop really appeals to me - and I'd love to stay there...

We are a family of five - My kids will be 6 and 5 (twins) on our next trip...

Thoughts?

Though connecting rooms are not guaranteed, given the make-up of your party, I would go with a suite at AllStar Music. Me personally, I like Pop Century better, but your kids are awfully small.

In January we had a similar issue... desperately wanted adjoining rooms! The end result? 2 connecting rooms in Building 2, a good 5-7min walk to buses and food court. Yes I got my connecting rooms, but the location was a huge dispointment for us.

The Family Suites are in the 4 closest buildings to the main pool/building and some rooms in the Jazz Section (2 of the 4 "further" out) are in fact closer to the main building than some of Pop's preferred rooms! We loved this... peace of mind that we would have a good room location! This factored in with the advantages and layout of the family suite plus the extra activities at ASmu (pool side games and movies) we were sold %110.

Our biggest thing about a vacation is that we like knowing "exactly" what we're getting and not having to risk disapointment. Yes we could get connecting rooms at Pop, but what if we didn't? What if they were 2 rooms in a horrible location? To us, thats not a great way to start a vacation...

I would choose the family suite just to have the kitchenette. Plus, no worrying about getting connecting rooms.

You may want to check out the POFQ - the trundle bed units sleep 5. At a value I would say one of the ASM suites just to be safe....

In terms of connecting rooms - a lot will depend on when you are going. Our trip in '06 was the week after Labour Day, and we got EXACTLY what we requested, connecting rooms in Toy Story section of ASMo. And this was on TWO separate resssies - we had one room on a package (Free Dining) and the second as a CAA 20% room only discount. They still managed to put them together. However, I'm not sure I would have risked that if we had been going during a busier time.

We are hoping to go again in late August '08, but we've tentatively booked the Family Suites at a 20% discount - the CM converted it into a package thankfully. We have seen pics of the Suites, like what we see, and we've read good reviews. They weren't available in Sept. '06, so we wanted to give them a try. The kitchenette with coffee maker is a big selling point!

Our only concern, the only access to the outside is through the "living room" where the kids will be sleeping. Our kids will be in bed most nights by 9 pm, and either my wife or I had thought about the chance for either of us making use of the pool after the kids were asleep - but this will be harder in a Family Suite as opposed to the connecting rooms.

So, as far as I can tell, not having direct access to outside from the bedroom is the only drawback.

In terms of cost, this is actually a little cheaper (during Value Season, anyway) than two connecting Preferred Rooms - but it would cost a little more than two connecting Standard Rooms.

So, and sorry that this is long, unless you are going during Value Season, I would definitely suggest the Family Suites so that there is no risk of not getting the connecting rooms in the area you want.

If you are going during Value Season, I still might vote for the Suites, mainly for the Kitchenette aspect.

Just an FYI

For comparison, the price of a Family Suite is $9-11 more then 2 Standard Rooms, or $13-15 less the 2 Preferred Rooms, depending on season.

Also a fridge is included in AS Suite.

Fridges cost $10 a night to rent when staying at a value . Don't forget the Queen size bed,a coffee pot and microwave are also in Family Suites.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Family Suite info;

DH and I stayed in a Family Suite at All Star Music ( a value resort) in Sept. of 2006.

We really enjoyed the Queen size bed, the kitchenette with the microwave, having a sofa and cushioned chair to sit on and relax after a day at the parks before retiring for the evening.

I thought the pullouts very comfortable.

They are designed so the back cushion and seat cushion of the pullout support the pullout. There is no metal bar to hurt the sleepers back.

Info thread--Pullouts in Family Suites at ASMU with photos of how the pullout is supported.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18100990#post18100990

Here is the layout of the Family Suites:

ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

They:

-Sleep up to 6 (plus one child under age 3 in a Pak-n-Play crib)
-Studio amenities and separate sleeping areas giving more privacy than a standard room.
-Queen bed, full-size pullout sofa, convertible ottoman & chair sleepers (4 separate sleepers)
-Private master bedroom and family room have 27” flat CRT TV and high speed Internet access.
-Kitchenette with microwave, small refrigerator (4.3 cu. ft) and coffee pot
-Two-full bathrooms

Here is my review of the Suites:

www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=17640774&postcount=7

For more photos and info please see this info thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392879

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay!:wizard:

I appreciate ALL the info.

I think we're going to do the Suite :thumbsup2

That looks to be the best fit for us (two bathrooms, fridge, plenty of beds!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter