• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Adventures of Mom's Booty - 10/4 Wonder..... NEW UPDATE 7/7! See Ya Real Soon!

I notice that you just returned from a trip on the Wonder. I am going to cruise for the first time in Sept. on the Wonder. I was wondering if you knew anything about the banana boat excursion being cancelled? If so, is it a temporary thing. Also, will you be posting a trip report?

I just read the posts on that, too. I'm sorry I don't know anything about why it's been cancelled. I saw people riding the banana boat while we were at Castaway Cay and I thought it looked like a lot of fun.

I will definitely be posting a trip report, hopefully at least the beginning by this Sunday. This was a fantabulous trip - the best vacation I've ever had!! Lots of wonderful surprises along the way, exquisite service, beautiful weather...and I met so many lovely people. Stay tuned... :)

After another good night’s sleep, dawn broke on another clear, beautiful morning.

Oct07002-1.jpg

What is even better than that gorgeous sunrise? Well…..THIS

Oct07003-1.jpg

Oct07009.jpg

Oct07007.jpg

Land Ho, mateys! We hurried to get ourselves presentable. (It’s a beach after all, I can get away with not doing my hair or putting on any makeup right?) We all threw on swimsuits and cover-ups and I gathered all the beach goodies. Meanwhile, the kids proudly showed off the flubber they created last night:

Oct07018.jpg

It still seemed fairly early to me (it was eight-something) when we headed up to BBB for the beef breakfast buffet (loooove that bacon and sausage!). The place does not seem too busy, we walked right into the serving line and fairly easily found an indoor table. I was a bit surprised…where was everyone? (We. Would. Soon. Find. Out.)

Oct07008.jpg

Any Dis’er knows that in order to procure a nice family beach spot on CC, you have to get out there early. To me, we did not seem any earlier debarking than we did on our last cruise…but when we went down to deck 1 to debark….there was a huge line. It took a few minutes to get past the throngs lingering around the gangway and get out on the island. And then of course I had to stop and get my pic at the Post Office, the one I wish I worked at:

Oct07020.jpg

That having been done, we saw a tram approaching and decided that last time we had missed the “Disney Experience” by walking to the beach instead of riding the tram. And since Captain Jack wasn’t due out til 10 am (still have not managed to make the elusive Cap’n Jack photo op) we figured why not ride. There is a very Disney-typical spiel on the tram. I had to video it (the file is too large to upload….sorry!) As we jumped off the tram, the kids spotted some sort of neat chameleon/iguana/lizard/reptile-ish thing in the bushes. I was loudly paged over to the strange-color-changing-reptile viewing area to photograph it, and sadly he/she/it scampered away as I approached. Oh well. No flash photography on the wildlife please…hee hee hee.

Oct07024-1.jpg

We headed over to the beach to grab a chair with an umbrella, and were ecstatic to discover that since our previous cruise last March (ahem….’07) that Disney had added many new hammocks out with the beach chairs all along the beach! Last time we had been there, there were only a handful of hammocks and they were located at the extreme ends of the beach or high up towards Cookies/the shops. Now there were many hammocks on banana frames right out at the chair line. (Or what the chair lines are that early in the morning, before everyone has dragged theirs down into the waterl!) So we skip-a-dee-dooh-dah’ed down the beach in search of an open one to chill in….but they were all already taken. Bummer. In fact the beach was pretty darn full for before 9 AM. All of the umbrellas centrally located on the family beach (by Cookie’s) were already taken too. So I found one further down by the play area. After I set everything up, Ron came by and said there are still a few empty hammocks at the faaaar end of the beach near the snorkeling area. While the location left a little to be desired, we had no excursions or plans for the day…just to chill out on the beach, so a hammock would be a good thing to have. We picked up camp and relocated back down to the other end. Sure enough there were still a few hammocks over there, and umbrellas, plus there was plenty of shade. It turned out to be a nice spot.

<<Con't in Next Post>>

And so it was finally play time!!!
Oct07030.jpg

Oct07036.jpg

Oct07033.jpg

Oct07047.jpg

Oct07056.jpg

Oct07077.jpg

Oct07057.jpg

(Thanks to the nice lady who took this pic....I guess she knew how much I *really* wanted to be in it...;) :lmao: )

The obligatory “feet pic”:

Oct07060.jpg

I could not believe how busy the beach seemed this time around. Don’t know if it was the uninformed 3 night cruise clientele (less repeat cruisers and Castaway Club members, plus less Dis’ers), or the gorgeous weather, or our location right at the beginning of the beach, or what but we saw many, many parties stumbling around looking for beach chairs. I don’t know if they were just picky (wanted/needed a hammock or umbrella or what-have-you), but it just seemed like there were too many families looking for a chair. All of the chairs around us and as far as we could see filled up pretty early, like well before eleven.

Oct07062-1.jpg

Before too long I headed out to take a swim. In March the water seemed so cold, I could hardly enjoy it, so I was really looking forward to the WARM summer bath water. Eh. Nope. It was still cold. How in the world this shallow water in the baking early Oct. heat could still be so brisk is beyond me. So I took a short dip and headed back to the warmth of the hammock. Ron and the kids headed out to snorkel.

A Konk Kooler made it my way, and it was heavenly. I found myself napping in the breeze in paradise. Ahhhh.

Before I knew it, Brendan was running up to me screaming at me to follow him. Ron was right behind him yelling to hurry up. What in the world was going on? A fire? So I jumped up and stumbled after them. I hadn’t even stopped to wonder where Savannah was. We approached the pavilion near Cookie’s, and there she was…in a circle with other kids wearing a curious hat…
Oct07083.jpg

(sorry, not a great pic, I know. Things were beginning as I approached) And this thing I speak of was…the Castaway Cay hermit crab race FINALS! How exciting! I guess how this goes is kids who want to play get assigned a number and get to wear a cute crab hat and their numbers correspond to a particular crab (Savannah’s was #4). If their crab is the first one to the outer ring, well….they win! You had to be there? Okay, here’s the video!

So…she didn’t win, but it was still pretty exciting. I figured since we were up (since I was up…out of the hammock, lol) we might as well grab lunch at Cookie’s before it got nutty. Isn’t it funny how, just like the ticket booths at the park, all the traffic goes to the center lines, and the ones on the end were empty. We headed to the empty left hand (end) line for our grub. I don’t know what Ron had to eat…probably one of everything. Last time I had the blackened fish sandwich – which would have been wonderful had it not been for the generous amount of mayo slathered all over every sandwich (they are pre-assembled). I *hate* mayo. So this time I just grabbed two plain hot dogs. Nice and charred, just the way I like ‘em. I also grabbed a bunch of cole slaw forgetting it has pineapple in it, which I don’t like (not in my slaw anyway, I’ll take it in a foo-foo alcoholic drink any day). Probably some corn, and a piece of the apple bread and a cookie for sure. Here’s what the kids had:
Oct07084.jpg

Oct07085.jpg

I enjoyed the food more this time. The dogs were good. The only issue I had was there were CM’s staffing the drink station again. Does this mean there was an illness outbreak? It never makes much sense, b/c noone was there earlier in the day and nobody was there later, just at the lunch rush, which totally does not help the traffic flow. And I don’t get my tea the way I like it. Meh. But I am so on Castaway Cay right now, do I seriously have a right to complain??? We left plenty of room for our fave dessert, which was awesome as always:

Oct07088.jpg

A hidden cookie dough Mickey:

Oct07089-2.jpg

We headed back out to the beach for a little while. It was blistering hot and a lovely CM happened by to refill our KK’s. We also asked for a few waters and this fast talker sold us on a DCL soft sided cooler filled with like 10 waters and ice for $20.00. Actually it was a nice cooler, larger than the average lunchbox style one yet not too bulky and cumbersome. And, though not free, it was nice to have the convenience of having an ice cold bottle of water at arms reach.

We hung out on the beach for a couple of hours longer….til I had enough of the heat.
How wonderful is this beach???
Oct07067-1.jpg

Oct07075.jpg

Finally we decided to head back onboard. The kids wanted to hit the Mickey Pool, we had to stop by Shutters, the Reservation Desk, and maybe catch the Disney Dreams Matinee and later Bingo. It was to be a busy evening.

We hitched the tram back and as we approached the ship again marveled at how the near gangway had a line about 200 people long and the gangway at the far end of the ship had maybe 20 people queued up. As we strolled over to the short line, we caught a glimpse of this rat trying to stow away:

Oct07090.jpg

Oct07091.jpg

Still to come: The last hurrah (The 3-night cruise is way too short!) And this TR took way too long!!! ;)

I have so looked forward to your CC section! I hope you and the baby are doing well and happy!!!:love:
I do have a question though.....how do you assure the safety of your things while you are on CC? I have been wondering about this for some time. I do not want any of our things taken while we are enjoying the island.

Jen- would you happen to have a picture of the cooler?
Sorry Disney Girl, I do not. I went back and scanned all of my pics and did not find even a corner of it in any of them, I am so sorry. I would go get it and take a picture of it now, but it seems one of us misplaced it. And I am so not happy about that. Loved that cooler. I'd say it is about 12"x 12" x 12" square, navy blue nylon, thinly padded (insulated)...soft sided. No extra compartments inside or out ...just the main one. Zip around top. It has a navy blue woven nylon strap, I'd say about 2" wide...I don't think it was adjustable. The only decoration is the DCL logo on the front. Very nice, highly recommended for the $20 (with all the ice and waters!) :thumbsup2

I have so looked forward to your CC section! I hope you and the baby are doing well and happy!!!:love:
I do have a question though.....how do you assure the safety of your things while you are on CC? I have been wondering about this for some time. I do not want any of our things taken while we are enjoying the island.

Ashley,
I haven't worried about it too much. The only thing of any value we had with us was the camera, and I was using it most of the time. When I wasn't and none of us were near our chairs, I would bury it in the bottom of our beach bag and pile towels on top. So if someone wanted to go for it they would have to do a lot of digging.:rotfl2: And if you spend a lot of time at the chairs you see your "beach neighbors" and they see you..so really I can't imagine someone would have the nerve to conspicuously dig through other ppl's stuff right infront of others nearby. So really I wasn't too concerned. :goodvibes

So glad to see your little princess is doing well. I am guess you are all home and adjusting to the new schedule. She is so precious :lovestruc.

Very glad to see more pi cutes/TR. Again your very good at this. I wonder if I will do one after mine. I have been thinking about it. I will need to take many notes though as my brain will get the days all mixed up.:rotfl2:

Loving your trip report and congratulations on your new arrival - she is gorgeous.

So glad to see your little princess is doing well. I am guess you are all home and adjusting to the new schedule. She is so precious :lovestruc.

Very glad to see more pi cutes/TR. Again your very good at this. I wonder if I will do one after mine. I have been thinking about it. I will need to take many notes though as my brain will get the days all mixed up.:rotfl2:

Loving your trip report and congratulations on your new arrival - she is gorgeous.

Thanks, Thanks!:goodvibes

Pixidustmom...yes go for it! Write a TR! Its so much fun to re-live everything!And yeah, taking notes is a good thing. I can totally see all the details I forgot by taking so long to get this done. Since my other two cruises were short I managed to get by wi thout taking notes but next time on the 7 night I will have to I think!

Hey Jen!
Do you have any more of your trip report?! I check back many times each day....they are just so fun to read and help with those of us who have never been on a Disney cruise. I find a lot of helpful things while reading your TR.
Hope you and your family have a safe and fun 4th!!!

Hey Jen!
Do you have any more of your trip report?! I check back many times each day....they are just so fun to read and help with those of us who have never been on a Disney cruise. I find a lot of helpful things while reading your TR.
Hope you and your family have a safe and fun 4th!!!

Gosh, yes....I do....
I've been working on it. The last few weeks have been really busy with Savannah's dance recital....rehersals, company auditions, blocking, and -ugh- the costume sewing. That took two whole weeks in and of itself. ;)Plus we had our 90 day mark for booking our next cruise Palo, excursions, etc. right smack dab in the middle (oh and I forgot we had a wee bit of drama with our booking-lost our cruise partner who had Sarah booked in her room-and had to scramble and grab another stateroom) and I spent a lot of spare time researching the things we will be doing next time. All of that in between feedings so I've been keeping myself busy for sure.

That having been said, the next segment is about 1/4 done. It's a long one though, as I am going to go ahead and try to squeeze the rest of the cruise into it.

I can pretty much guarantee I won't finish it tonight, however as we are off to the pier for fireworks.

Happy Independence Day to all my American friends!:goodvibes

It was only early afternoon when we re-boarded the ship after a delightful (if a bit hot) morning on Castaway Cay. Since we were already wet and “beach-y’ we figured this was the perfect opportunity for some pool-hopping, DCL style. We dropped the kids at the Mickey Pool (surprisingly busy, since ‘most’ people were still on CC).

Oct07113.jpg

We headed over to the Quiet Cove pool. Ron stopped in Cove Café for two mochacchino’s , and I hopped in the pool. I’m a fan of “clean” chlorinated water after a day in salt water. Ahhh. This pool was not dead either, there was a ring of adults hanging all around the perimeter chillin’:
Oct07092-1.jpg

We enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere for a while, until we figured if we waited too much longer the kids might be wreaking havoc down aft, so we packed up and went back down towards the Mickey Pool. Halfway down, this is what greeted us:
Oct07097.jpg

Satisfied that they did not damage any property or cause undue bodily harm, the kids went back into the pool, and we looked for chairs. Savannah found some friends:
Oct07096-2.jpg

And had some fun in the splash area….The *only* kid I saw in there the whole cruise, I might add.

Oct07098-1.jpg

Hopefully that is purified water, not recycled!!

We never did find chairs so we instead settled at the Goofy pool. The kids soon followed. It wasn’t as crazy as we had seen in our prior cruise, which was nice:
Oct07114.jpg

Hot tub to ourselves:
Oct07104-1.jpg

As the afternoon wore on, we made a trip to “Scoops”. I’m not really too impressed. Its just two soft serve machines, chocolate and vanilla…a couple of squirt bottles with toppings like chocolate sauce (NOT hot fudge, the runny stuff – yech!), strawberry sauce, and caramel, and I think some sprinkles. There aren’t cones (maybe I’ll remember to bring some next time). Not that I really have room to whine about it.

Oct07117.jpg

The scenery:

Oct07105-1.jpg

As afternoon wore on, time had it’s way with us. We had wanted to see the Disney Dreams matinee but we got back on board too late. And as it turned out we stayed too long up on deck to catch the 6:15 showing. We heded in to make our final selections at shutters. I had promised to cut back this time, and actually I had no problem keeping to our package. There was at least one night we had no photos taken at all. So as we were sprawled out in the corner, photos all over the floor…I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up and a nice lady said to me “Are you Jen…?” AH! It was my fellow Dis friend Tiffany and her hubby Doug, who were also on our next cruise. We chatted for a bit, discussed our lonely decorated doors (we only saw one other door decorated other than ours & Tiffany and Doug’s)..I believe I must have apologized profusely for my appearance. Beach Day. ‘Nuff said. After we bid eachother adieu (‘til we meet again in Sept.) we each spent time at the re-booking desk. We had a Cat. 10 booked for our next cruise and decided we were thoroughly spoiled by the Cat. 5 this time, so we had to upgrade our reservations to a Cat. 8. We had a lot of discussion about it and actually left and came back to the desk several times. We *really* wanted at least a Cat. 6 but just could not afford it, so in the end we settled for the oceanview GTY 8 and decided we would just hope for the pixie dust and maybe score an upgrade later on.

Before we knew it, it was time to go get ready for dinner. Since we had no show to go to, we had some time to kill. But that also meant…..we had time to do something new. BINGO!

All dressed up and nowhere to go!
Oct07120.jpg

Oct07122-2.jpg

So we went down to Wavebands, and lucky us, tonight was jackpot bingo. Basically that meant that the highest jackpots of the cruise would be tonight. They had two card options, a red card which had so many bingo grids on it but also had extra chances to win the final game (the jackpot) and the basic purple card which just had six bingo grids on it. We bought the basic purple card and I think it was around $30. (Sorry its been awhile so I forgot the details). There would be four games of random patterns (i.e. straight, four corners, etc.). I found it amusing that when you get to one number away from winning Bingo you have to stand, so everyone is watching you! I found myself standing in the first two games, but did not win. The prizes in both of those were modest, I think about $50 for the first one and $75 for the second. I know the Bingo prizes are based on the amount of card sales per cruise so obviously the 3 night pots are going to be less than the 7 night ones. The third game I knew would be lucky as soon as I heard it was “Postage Stamp” (ya’ll know where I work, right?). Sure enough I soon found myself standing with about 4 other folks. Very next number and I had it…”BINGO!” Except…..well…so did two of the others. Sigh. The crew verified our numbers and sure enough all three of us were winners! We each got around $40. Here’s the winning card:

Oct07128.jpg

We didn’t even come close to winning the big finale jackpot which was
around $200. And only one person won that one too…so the game I won was the only one where the prize was split. Oh well. It was enough to cover the cost of the card and a couple of bonus drinks!!

We headed to guest services to put the bingo winnings onto our account. (They give you a slip and you can either credit it to your account or take cash). While at GS, I took this picture of the kids and Michael (the little boy on the right). His mom was trying really hard to coerce him out of the picture but I just laughed and said no, that was ok…now Michael will be in our vacation memories forever!

Oct07125.jpg

It was already time for dinner, so we got into the Triton’s line, which was already practically backed up to Wavebands. As soon as we got in the line it headed in, and we were seated quickly. The girls goofing around:

Oct07134.jpg

Fortune greeted us promptly and we waited for Luis for our beverages…then…no Luis! We had a new assistant server, a young female (whose name has escaped me, sorry!) She took our drink orders and kept our drinks full all night…and did a standup job! We asked what had happened to Luis and basically got the “He wasn’t feeling well” excuse so we had to wonder if he was really sick, or fired! As far as food goes, Triton’s is our least favorite restaurant of the three rotational ones. Love the elegant atmosphere, but we always end up leaving here hungry. Maybe it’s the “French” sized portions? For salads, we both ordered the Mixed Garden Salad, and it was fine. Nothing special though. Just regular salad. I liked the goat cheese croutons. Ron got the Shrimp Medley, which was baby and jumbo shrimp cocktail…mostly baby shrimp. I skipped the appetizer as nothing appealed to me. For main courses we both again had Roasted Beef Tenderloin. It is served sliced with gravy and what looked like mashed potatoes-but don’t let ‘em fool ya, they’re rutabagas! We had this downed in about three bites (sans rutabaga of course). I don’t remember what Brendan ate, surely a burger or pizza off the kids menu. Savannah had the mickey pasta, here’s a pic:
Oct07137.jpg

Tonight we were celebrating Brendan’s 8th birthday (which was the next week). Our serving team brought out the funky jello cake which looks a lot better than it tastes and serenaded him with the birthday song.

Oct07148-1.jpg

This was the first we had seen of our head server, I think her name was Julie or Julia. We asked her about Luis, since we were so sure they abandoned him in Nassau. She too said he was under the weather (suuuuuuuuure) and not to worry that the tips would be distributed appropriately. She continued to make the rounds to the other tables, but we did notice the ranks had thinned considerably. We had a couple of large tables around us where only half of the party was present and actually every table immediately around us seemed empty. We were not as impressed with the service this time around. While our server Fortune did fine, he did not do any of the “extras” like magic tricks or the sort that we had experienced in our first cruise. We only saw the head server the last night, and of course whatever Luis problem was certainly affected his service. Our assistant the last night was very good. But overall we were not wowed and began to wonder if the service is not as “stellar” for those who have cruised DCL before. Our desserts, the crème brulee, were good but again not nearly enough to fill us up. We look forward to scheduling Palo on our Lumiere’s/Triton’s night on our next cruise.

We skipped the “Til we meet again character party, as the kids were tired and we had that ever-annoying last evening packing to do. We found a bunny waiting for us on our bed.
Oct07130.jpg

We had been trying to assemble a towel animal zoo, but –yikes- it seems the poor monkey met his demise and must have been disassembled to create Mr. Rabbit! Apparently the swan spared detection, so we still had 2/3 of our zoo creatures.

Oct07132.jpg

The packing was much easier this time, being so organized. The extra space and steamer trunk really made a difference for us. We were done early and spent some last lovely moments out on our verandah before retiring for the evening.

The kids were beat.
Oct07157.jpg

The next morning we arose and sadly dressed and prepared for disembarkation. I wanted to go to our assigned table breakfast, as I thought they would have better food., so down to Triton’s we went. Again there was a line, and the atrium seemed pure chaos. The early seaters were heading out of the restaurant and off the ship. It took a bit to get seated this time. Even fewer people showed up for breakfast and I think we may have been our regular team’s only table. While service in & of itself was fine, we did seem like they were trying to “rush” us off a bit. As far as the food goes, the only extra additions (that you could not get at BBB) seemed to be pancakes, and that’s what I got. They were nothing to write home to mom about. They were not fresh, obviously a frozen variety and they were a bit cold and rubbery. Also again, not enough food about 3 sand dollar sized cakes and two slices of bacon. I can’t remember what everyone else had but it was unanimous that we preferred the buffet offerings. Since we all had the “cruise is over blues” we said farewell to our team and headed off the ship. Or – tried to head off the ship. We found disembarkation much more of a pain this time. Last cruise we ate at BBB and just walked off the ship when we were done, and that was obviously in the middle of a breakfast seating as we were off quickly. This time quite a few folks were trying to leave at the same time and we were held in the lobby. When they finally opened it up, they only let a small amount of us go..then we were held again in the terminal before the escalators. Frustrating. We figured customs and luggage pick up must be too busy to let us downstairs, and that must have been the case as it was still really busy when we finally did get waved through. We snagged a porter, quickly found our area and our bags and poked through the slow moving customs line. This time our customs guy did not say even a word to us and waved us through. In what seemed like an instant we were across the street, in the car, and driving off with the beautiful Wonder in the rearview mirror.

This marks the end of another truly wonderful Disney Cruise adventure.

Folks, September is just around the corner. I’ll see ya real soon!

awww so sad to hear this one end.. BUT cant wait for the next edition! :)

Jen, just wanted to thank you for a great report. Thanx for taking the time to finish it. Really appreciated all your great photos and the information about Atlantis. :thumbsup2

Jen, just wanted to thank you for a great report. Thanx for taking the time to finish it. Really appreciated all your great photos and the information about Atlantis. :thumbsup2

You're welcome!:goodvibes

Thank you for reading!!!

Great trip report - just wondering, does everyone get the castaway beach tote ??:confused3

All Castaway Club members (returning cruisers) do receive the gift. I've heard it has changed slightly since last year and is now a nicer black & red tote bag with water bottles inside instead of cups. Castaway Clubbers also get complimentary lanyards with a KTTW card holder and two pins as a gift.

Glad you enjoyed the report!! A new one is coming very soon!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter