The ABC's of Trip Planning, Pt 1- K is for Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197 + New Link

Well, for some reason I can't quote anyone or even reply right now. I have no idea what's going on, so I'm going to try a bit later and pick up with replies a bit later after some homework. Sometimes the DIS is a little frustrating, but not enough to stay away, @GoofyFan1515!! "Sup, Marv?!

Last edited:
I assure you it has nothing to do with the Orange Amaretto Margarita I just concocted that is going down very nicely on my self-induced night off.

Cue the typos and slurred responses!

1) The California Grill- Everything about this place made it enjoyable. It was a total package slamdunk- food, decor, atmosphere, service, view, everything. I had the cheese flight and a flatbread, and the nicest glass of white wine. The somolier paired me up nicely, and the servers went all out to time our (extremely) LONG and leisurely meal with Wishes.

Sounds very, very nice.

The reason I may have loved this so much was that I primarily chose it to have a private Memorial of sorts honoring and grieving my grandma who had passed away not too long before my trip. Without going into details, she had taken her own life after a pretty horrible marriage, but she was a class act all the way until dementia took its toll.

OMG. How devastating! :hug:

(I just remember it was so big I could have swimmed in it);

And after two Apricot Sours, maybe you did!

Corn dog nuggets from Caseys. But not *just* corn dog nuggets. Corn dog nuggets eaten on the Hub Curb waiting for the Main Street Electrical Parade to start!

I get it. I absolutely get it.

1) Cirque du Soleil- Well worth the money!

Ruby and I saw Ka in Vegas. Mind blowingly good.

3) Have a couple of drinks, AND THEN watch the Yeehaw Bob Show

:laughing: Noted!

4) Hoop de Doo- No drinks necessary, although I'd highly recommend the Sangria.

Still haven't done this.
I seriously wonder if I ever will.

I'd never stand in a line more than 2 minutes to see any of them.

Ditto.

Favorjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

:rotfl: :lmao:

You did it!!!

:lmao:

It felt great to get a bit more caught up, and just relax a bit. Tomorrow night is my last all-nighter Clinical, and I need to prepare for that this evening and study before a nap tomorrow morning. No rest for the weary!

Good luck!

I imagine you come here to do at least some amount of escape as well. For therapeutic reasons, of course.

Possibly.

I only slipped out of conciousness once. ^^ See? Right up there.

I did see! :laughing:

You are not alone. Dismal is a rather sad understatement for the state of affairs.

Yup.

Maybe the new film will have a place I've been, and it too will become special. :)

:goodvibes

Well, for some reason I can't quote anyone or even reply right now. I have no idea what's going on, so I'm going to try a bit later and pick up with replies a bit later after some homework.

I suspect it's because when you post answers, it stays on the same page, but in reality the post is on the next page and it screws up the quoting.
Or something like that. I haven't gotten it all figured out yet.
But what I do know.

If you can't quote anymore, close the thread and reopen it. That should do it.
And worst case scenario, close right out of the DIS and re-open it.

Actually, yes! I come here to escape the office quite a bit.

Tell Sarah that she should reconsider her career choice. Just have her ponder the endless possibilities to escape to the DIS when necessary... which apparently is quite a lot.

That could take a while. But yes, I'd rather read about what my friends are up to than pointless, marginally-true news articles. Funny, I thought the former was why I was on FB in the first place.:rolleyes1

Are you saying certain individuals are a bit on the wordy side? Birds of a feather, Dude. And yes, I've had a couple of run-ins with some folks recently over some views they hold that are just plain wrong and bordering on dangerous to people, so I called them out. Then promptly got on here to simmer down. I want to see what happening in my friend's lives, not their using that space as a personal soapbox for loads of bullpoop and drama. Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled viewing.

How dare you?!?!?!

Ok, maybe I did. But it was still awesome, because it was bacon.

I told Mike about that Ground Bacon Burger. He was duly impressed and intrigued. Someday we'll get back to our old stomping grounds the Desert SW was to us..... and partake.

YES!! It bothers me so much when people complain about EPCOT. It's a park for nerds! That's why I love it!

It is a nerdy park, and they seem hellbent on sterilizing it. I just read they are closing West (?) I certainly hope they replace it with more nerdy fun stuff. I learned a ton about Velcro last trip and came home with an adorable little Frog Princess while doing so.

I'd be close. Right now, I'd probably switch MK and AK, but Animal Kingdom has grown on me quite a bit. I think if it had a couple more really cool rides...

I have heard that there is a HUGE expansion coming to an AK near you. Well, in our cases not so near. Maybe, just maybe, there will be some cool and awesome new rides in the mix.

I'm always less interested in the fancy meals anyway.

This is true. But fancy doesn't alway equate to great. I woudln't consider Boma "fancy" but it sure was good eatin'. Cosmos chicken ain't bad either. However, that doesn't preclude me from a dip into V&A's on one of my next trips.

Exhibit A why experiences are better than things!:thumbsup2

We are so on the same page here!

Haven't tried some of these, but I love Wishes from the Poly beach! I'm hoping the new bungalows there haven't messed it up too much. And I need to get back to Hoop-De-Doo Revue. It's been a long time. Honestly, I love to just resort-hop and check out the details of the different themes.

I was wondering about that too. I hope the view isn't totally screwed up and that it doesn't bring in crowds that are so think they wreck the whole thing.

Hoop is a hoot! I've been twice and haven't been disappointed yet.

Once again we are on the same page. I could wander a long time at each one, taking a long walk to find Hidden Mickeys or listen to the BGM, or just take pictures.

AMEN! You know it's just a guy in a suit, right? I'm a terrible father because that's what I've taught my kids.

You need to take it to professional level: Some of those guys in suits are actually girls playing guys. Just sayin'. It will blow their minds.

No WL or AKL? I was surprised by how much I liked POR when I stayed there.

I loved POR. Since I've never really visited the deep South (other than FL, and I've heard that doesn't count), it was a nice sneak peek. The theming was very relaxed and it was just big enough.
:woohoo::cool1:party::banana: And the summer break will feel wonderful, I'm sure!

OOOOOH yeah!

OK - so let me see if I have this straight - you still have two more weeks of school? Did I read that right? I was kind of hoping you would be done by now. I was sure the University of Delaware had to be the ONLY school that continued past Memorial Day.

Yes, my Final is June 10th. I have my last, all-night, Clinical tonight, and then Friday-Monday to study for Exam #5 which is on Tuesday, my HESI and next year's Orientation on Wednesday, then all week to study for the Final. Pinning is on the 11th- for which I haven't really prepared fully. EEK! I know, we get out quite late here in Oregon, but don't start until mid-late September. That's ok, because our real summer weather doesn't ripen until about the 4th of July. We generally don't plan any outdoor parties until then.

At any rate - I hope your last exam goes fabulously. And I hope your summer is awesome.

Thanks, Mary Ellen! It's been a long year, full of good things, but I am very ready for a break!

Loved all your favs. Interestingly, I have never stayed at the Poly. I probably could have stayed there a night in August but passed on it because I am already in the red with points for this year. But its definitely on my list.

I'm shocked you've never stayed there; I had the impression you've stayed at them all at least once. I totally understand about having to pass it up over the money issue though. Certainly no fault there and as often as you get to go, I have no doubt you'll get there eventually. :)

I had no idea that you actually lived right near the orange grove scene in Soarin. How very cool.

When I was young, Hemet, and SoCal in general was a wonderful, beautiful place to live and grow up. It's a craphole now, and I wouldn't go back for all the tea in China. Yes, the weather is great, but that's about it. They've taxed it into oblivion, and it may as well be part of Mexico again. Multiple people are shot everyday, even in my (once) small hometown.

Great ride choices. Great restaurant choices!
What else can I say? Great updates!

:goodvibes

That's the kind of study session I could get myself interested in. :thumbsup2

I'm glad you approve! I still think the movie was stupid though.

No. I didn't. Did they teach you that in nurse school?

Oh, the things we learn. Some of it is actually useful too.

I always thought the Dis was just a tool for procrastination.

Well, there's certainly that too. I may or may not use for multiple reasons myself. :disrocks: (Ha, never used that one before!)

Good question... :confused3 :rolleyes1

Mhmmm, sure. Right.

WHAT?????? :eek: :faint: I'm outta here

I knew you'd approve and take swift and appropriate action! Good man.

A pig just died because of you... :rolleyes1

.... and this is a bad thing? You fed your family and made them happy. You're a HERO!! Heck yes to the bed time snacks!

Ok, where were we?

Oh we were just talking about trivial things like bacon and margaritas. Minor, small details. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Oh, you're right. I wouldn't rank them like that! :rotfl2:

I agree with everything you said here. But I still can't move AK above my 4th favorite.

That said it is a Disney park, so being the "least" favorite still makes it pretty frickin' awesome and definitely someplace I'd prefer to be than here at work!

Kind of like "the worst day fishing..." So is it just that there's nothing to do there really that makes it a low ranker for you? I'm curious...

Ok, I'm kind of looking forward to some new scenes on this one. But I totally get where you're coming from and I can see how it would mean so much to you. I'm sorry that this might be going away.

But then again, I really think it would be awesome if they had a rotation of films they could use once they upgrade to digital. You know, so that it is kind of like Star Tours and it isn't the same flight every time? I think it would be great if they could do something like that and still keep the original flight in the rotation.

Hmmm... now that's an idea I could like. Variety, they say, is the spice of life. Although I still only EVER get the Robber scenario in GMR.

Again, I totally agree with you. All the rides there are fun and it really does kind of depend on the lines and my mood. But I'm still a little disturbed by your top 3. No BTMRR? No Space? Really? Neither one made the cut? :rolleyes1

That one definitely was super hard! I LOVE BTMMR (Space not so much due to the ridiculously jerky track), and SO many others in MK particularly (especially the older dark rides and CoP), but HM and Pirates hold memories of going on with Grandma when she'd take me every year to Disneyland.

Dinner and margaritas. I hope you brought enough for everyone. :rolleyes1

I'm always generous. You should come out to Oregon and we'll fix you right up! Which reminds me!! I have a DISMeet to plan!! The Oregon DISForce is strong...

Love those! Although your reason for loving them beats the heck out of my gluttonous reason for loving them.

They're good enough to love for simply that reason alone. No shame there.

Bucket list...

Bucket list...

Bucket list...

Always so many new things to try, so little time and money to make them happen!

True enough, and I think even for those who go quite often, there is still plenty to do.

No, we're just waiting to see this PTR go off the rails when that margarita really kicks in...

I cut it short before that happened. (Actually, I just got tired like old farts do, and went to bed. )

I'm with you. Unfortunately, our kids aren't. :rotfl2: Truthfully though, we just try to use FP+ and then only hop in standby lines if they are short. We might wait over 2 minutes, but I can't think of a time we've ever met a character after more than a 5-10 minute wait.

I can understand more with little kids, but when they turn about 12, I have even less patience with that noise. There are rides to ride and other stuffs to do- let's move it!

This is kind of like my comment about choosing a favorite park. You really can't go wrong.

Unless you stay at Coronado Springs during Pop Warner. Then you went wrong. Very wrong. :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: Still having PTSD about that one...

Anyway, there really is no wrong choice. AoA is an awesome value resort. And the Deluxe resorts are always a great place to stay. Whatever the budget allows, I'm sure you'll find a place you'll be happy with.

Holy crap! You may need therapy! I've seen pictures of that, and can fully understand the trauma it may have induced. Maybe Disney should have an in-house therapist with prescribing privs for those who can't take it.

We spend so little time in our resort room that it's really never an issue. The only place I didn't love (at all) was POP. The smokers were everywhere and the language being tossed around was enough to make my ears raw. I didn't see that at any of the other places we stayed.

Good luck next Tuesday! Time sure flies when you're busting your @$$ 24/7, doesn't it?

It goes WAY too fast. There never is quite enough time to feel like you've really got the material solid before the next Exam arrives. Obviously, or 88's wouldn't be my score. >:(

I agree on Hoop-de-doo, but disagree on the Sangria. :crazy2:

I'm rooting for your end-of-school-year push! :cheer2:

It was tasty, but I honestly believe that the servers don't come around for drink refills purposely so you don't get more than 2 of the watered down glasses of it. I noticed this both times I've gone.

Thanks, Glenn!

I love your list of favorites. And what I love even more is that it shows how different all of us are, but we are all still friends because of our love for Disney in general. My favorite parks would be: Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot and then DHS (name to be soon changed...again). I am with you on TOT; but you wouldn't catch me dead on EE. And you've reminded me yet again I still haven't eaten at California Grill. :(

Best of luck this last week of school.

Yes, we are all certainly very different, but Disney is what has brought us together and I think we could all enjoy a day together being there despite our subtle differences in touring style and whatnot.

I need to go back read more on the name change. I vaguely remember something about that, but can't remember what was said or why they're doing it.

Cali Grill is so wonderful. Great variety, and great service!

Thanks, giving it my best shot, and ready to enjoy summer!

Cue the typos and slurred responses!

It'd take more than one, my friend. How about joining us in 16 months for one with the group in the Ditch?

Sounds very, very nice.

Oh, it was.

OMG. How devastating! :hug:

We have some wonderful memories to cherish. She was a sweet lady. I hope I can be half as great a Grandma as she was. And you KNOW I'll be taking them to WDW if the parental units will let me....

And after two Apricot Sours, maybe you did!

Quite likely. I briefly contemplated taking the leftovers back to POP, but nah, salad just never does well, does it?

Ruby and I saw Ka in Vegas. Mind blowingly good.

Perfect description. Holy cow it was so over-the-top amazing! I was especially wowed by the live music.

Hmmm... let's see... maroo had a Midori, if I recall, and I had a rum and Coke. After those, doing the Hokey Pokey and the Conga Line was actually pretty fun. And funny. I love me some sing-along.

Still haven't done this.
I seriously wonder if I ever will.

You should. It's good old fashioned, crazy fun. And you should get Tier 1, so you can get some hilarious photo ops for your next TR of you in a tu-tu.

:rotfl: :lmao:

You did it!!!

:lmao:

I aim to please. ;)

I did see! :laughing:

That was special for you.

I suspect it's because when you post answers, it stays on the same page, but in reality the post is on the next page and it screws up the quoting.
Or something like that. I haven't gotten it all figured out yet.
But what I do know.

If you can't quote anymore, close the thread and reopen it. That should do it.
And worst case scenario, close right out of the DIS and re-open it.

That is quite possibly the answer, as I did notice that my reply in which I told you all that did end up on the next page. How weird!

And you're right. I closed it all out, and went to bed. Whether it was just that I needed to close it out, and re-load, give it more time, or that Someone was telling me that widening exercises were done, I'm not sure. What I do know is that it's all working again this morning, and I should be studying, or at least doing laundry, or most likely both, instead of DISing.

I'm glad you approve! I still think the movie was stupid though.
Totally agree. But there's not much that I like more than a stupid movie. :rotfl2:

Well, there's certainly that too. I may or may not use for multiple reasons myself. :disrocks: (Ha, never used that one before!)
Well, I haven't used that one either. But yes, it certainly does. :disrocks:

.... and this is a bad thing? You fed your family and made them happy. You're a HERO!! Heck yes to the bed time snacks!
Oh no. Not bad at all. I just wanted to make it perfectly clear the quantity of bacon that you caused to be consumed with that statement.

Kind of like "the worst day fishing..." So is it just that there's nothing to do there really that makes it a low ranker for you? I'm curious...
Well, I have a hard time saying low ranker. Because I do love it. But over the years, I've grown up with the other parks. Even though MGM (DHS) didn't come along until my third trip when I was like 8 or so, it still feels like I grew up with that park and I remember a lot of things from that first visit and they were things I really enjoyed. Except for that stupid Alien scene in GMR. I had nightmares. Literally. I remember freaking out in the hotel room.

I grew up obviously loving MK and calling that my favorite park. Then I got a little bit older and MGM got something called Sunset Blvd complete with a few new rides, and it became my new favorite park. MK was for kids, EPCOT was boring, and DHS was where the fun was. We went in 1998 just about 3 months after AK opened. There just wasn't much there. At all. We did the safari and rode Dinosaur (I think) and there was a boat ride, or something like that. But that's really about all they had. And clearly my first memories of MGM are much more vivid than my first memories of this park. My first impression of the park as a whole was a letdown. I was 16 years old, it didn't have hardly any rides and it was still a bunch of construction walls. It just didn't appeal to me much at the time and I didn't get that great first impression or fantastic memories from that first visit like I have from the others. If that makes sense?

Kind of like the "it's not you, it's me" break up. It's not AK, it's me.

But anyway, my taste in parks has continued to morph. When we returned from our 10 year Disney drought in 2008 and I was there as an adult, EPCOT became my favorite park. When we went back in 2011 with DS on his first trip, I reverted back to MK as my favorite. AK has proven itself to be much better than my initial experience with it. It certainly is beautiful and probably the most well themed park of the group. I love visiting it. But it has just never really gained enough footing to hang with the 3 parks that were the Disney World that I grew up with.

And now they're adding Avatarland... :rolleyes1 :sad2:

I'm always generous. You should come out to Oregon and we'll fix you right up! Which reminds me!! I have a DISMeet to plan!! The Oregon DISForce is strong...
It seems like I keep running into more and more people from that corner of the country around these boards all the time! Actually, I kind of wish I'd have been on the DIS about 2 years sooner than I was. I worked about 4 1/2 years for the USDA doing a lot of travel. I'd end up in the wheat country of Oregon/Washington/Idaho for about 3 weeks at a time at least once a year in addition to similar trips to other areas of the country. I could have gotten a lot of Dismeets in! :rotfl2:

By the way, I loved my trips to the PNW. Beautiful country out there.

Holy crap! You may need therapy! I've seen pictures of that, and can fully understand the trauma it may have induced. Maybe Disney should have an in-house therapist with prescribing privs for those who can't take it.
We spend so little time in our resort room that it's really never an issue. The only place I didn't love (at all) was POP. The smokers were everywhere and the language being tossed around was enough to make my ears raw. I didn't see that at any of the other places we stayed.
So, your stay at Pop was like my stay at CSR. :crazy2:

It was brutal. Overcrowded and dirty pools - we never did swim because it was just nuts. Loud noise at all hours and someone literally trying to kick in my parents' hotel room door at 2 am.

@afwdwfan- before I reply in more detail, I have to ask.... because I know someone who works for the USDA doing EXACTLY that... do you know Ray Kirkpatrick?? He has inpected/ graded grain in the Port of Portland for like.... ever.

Great update and I love your favourites!! Loved the HDDR...with or without Sangria lol but it certainly helps :) It is so true that the whole feeling and sentimental value adds something to the memories and how you consider a place to be a favourite. I'm with you on HM...and your ranking of parks is interesting. I will have to get back to you after my October trip on that...it's been too long since I've done all four parks to really give them a fair ranking. I'm not even a fan of drops but I want to see the theming on ToT....Love the shops in Epcot too and seeing the culture and foods all around...totally with you there. Although sometimes the Canada pavillion does bug me when I see things like Whale Blubber soap and such...which I've never actually seen IN Canada...but I digress...

The name doesn't ring a bell. I was with Warehouse Licensing and Examination. I reported to the Kansas City office and worked from home and hotel rooms, essentially. There were only 55 - 60 of us, nationwide, who did what I did so I'd have known him and likely worked with him if he was in this division. What we did was perform inventory and records audits at grain elevators.

I'd assume he is probably FGIS - Federal Grain Inspection?

Anyway, I loved it. I mean, living in hotel rooms got old and once I got married and we started talking about kids, I found something close to home. But I do miss seeing the country. I got to go everywhere from the large export terminals to the smallest country elevators in the middle of nowhere. Those were my favorites. I'd sometimes just hang out up top for a little while after I was done measuring inventory to just take in the sights.

I don't remember exactly where this was, but I found this picture that I have on my phone that was taken during my last trip out there in 2008. It's from the top of an elevator somewhere in Oregon or Washington. I don't remember where exactly. I do remember that I was working the areas around Pendleton, OR and Walla Walla, WA during that trip though.

I just love how the land goes from flat, to gently rolling to mountains. You can literally drive around the corner and not know what kind of topography you'll see.

0617081333a.jpg

Last edited:
How about joining us in 16 months for one with the group in the Ditch?

Oh, I'd love to!
Uh.... what's the Ditch?

I hope I can be half as great a Grandma as she was.

From what little I know of you, through the DIS, I have no doubt that you will be just fine.

And you KNOW I'll be taking them to WDW if the parental units will let me....

See? And there's a great start!

salad just never does well, does it?

It does not.

You should. It's good old fashioned, crazy fun. And you should get Tier 1, so you can get some hilarious photo ops for your next TR of you in a tu-tu.

Well..... that would be a good reason, actually. :laughing:

That was special for you.

I just had a thought, after reading that.
I know a lot of people are upset about Avatarland.
"What does that have to do with animals! It's a zoo!"

Well, actually, it's nahtazu. And also... it's already got Dinoland... which isn't about a zoo either, right?
I'll withhold judgment until it's finished and I can see for myself.

I just had a thought, after reading that.
I know a lot of people are upset about Avatarland.
"What does that have to do with animals! It's a zoo!"

Well, actually, it's nahtazu. And also... it's already got Dinoland... which isn't about a zoo either, right?
I'll withhold judgment until it's finished and I can see for myself.
And some people just read too much into it... :rolleyes1

I simply thought Avatar sucked and I wish they'd put that money into something that doesn't. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I simply thought Avatar sucked and I wish they'd put that money into something that doesn't. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I loved Avatar, but.... Well, if anyone can make a theme park around a movie, it's Disney.
We'll see.

Starring in tonight's all-star cast is EPCOT. Because EPCOT is awesome and it's my favorite park. By a long shot.

The Runner-Ups are Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom and DHS, in that order. I have a feeling that there are very few people out there who would rank them in that order, but I could be wrong.

The reasons for ranking them in that order are fairly simple. I love to travel (obviously) and I love other cultures' foods, costumes, art, ALL of it. I can't go to all of those places and see the real deal, but Disney has done a pretty good job of showing the sterile, clean side of each of those places and I love getting a tiny smidgen of a "visit"

Animal Kingdom ranks above MK because it's more fun to photograph, IMHO, has more quiet places to explore and go at a slower pace that are just beautiful, some excellent street entertainment, super awesome shows (yes, I even love to visit Bwaana Bob!). The animals are pretty cool too.

MK is great; don't get me wrong. I love everything there, and can easily spend 2 full days enjoying everything... just not as much as the other parks. More on what I actually LOVE there in a bit...

DHS is fine. And there's still bits and pieces I haven't even touched, like One Man's Dream, but it's just such a small place with something lacking in draw for me. Again, there are some very, VERY specific things I do love about it, but let's move on for now.

I don't have this multiquote of the same post thing figured out so you're going to have to deal with me posting in the quote in red like a cave person. :duck: I also LOVE Epcot for all the same reasons you do. I can't afford to go to Italy or Morocco right now. But I can go to World Showcase and that's pretty great. For me MK is almost a tie just because I like how the park is laid out. Everything is close together which makes it easier to cram in more stuff. :bounce: I get a lot of flak for saying I can take or leave AK. Not because it's not beautiful but because I live about 2 hours from a world class zoo (ranked 3rd best in the world, 2nd best in the states) so it feels like I could be putting my limited time at Disney to better use than strolling the trails. And since everything is so far apart stroll the trails you must. And honestly, if it wasn't for TSM I'd probably never go to DHS again. But I love TSM so I go. :thumbsup2

Soarin' is my top choice at EPCOT, although I was greatly saddened to hear that the flight is changing scenery sometime soon. Because although, the ride itself is a fun concept, it was really the ride over California, where I grew up, that makes it so very special to me. The scene over the orange groves, in fact, flies directly over the hills, almost to the street, I lived on during my Middle School-High School years, before it veers off to the groves which were directly east of my home in Hemet/San Jacinto/Valle Vista. Yes, I cry every. single. time.

Soarin' is my FAVORITE ride. I'm hoping we squeeze in 3 rides on our trip (rope drop, FP+, 4th FP if we can pull it before they run out). I'm hoping that the orange groves are so popular that they are left in the new film. I think fans will riot if they take out THE signature sight and smell of the ride!

Are you even kidding me?! I guess I just pushed "Delete Draft" instead of saving it, Andy... Because I'm nice (and only slightly OCD) I'll start over and try to remember everything I just spent typing for 20 minutes. :(

Totally agree. But there's not much that I like more than a stupid movie. :rotfl2:

Stupid movies I have liked:

Princess Bride

My Cousin Vinnie (watch the vile language, but funny story line)

Anything Monty Python

Well, I haven't used that one either. But yes, it certainly does. :disrocks:

:teleport: Apparently, some of these just simply need an explanation. I just don't get it....

Oh no. Not bad at all. I just wanted to make it perfectly clear the quantity of bacon that you caused to be consumed with that statement.

I approve. Pig meat<Any other food on the planet

Well, I have a hard time saying low ranker. Because I do love it. But over the years, I've grown up with the other parks. Even though MGM (DHS) didn't come along until my third trip when I was like 8 or so, it still feels like I grew up with that park and I remember a lot of things from that first visit and they were things I really enjoyed. Except for that stupid Alien scene in GMR. I had nightmares. Literally. I remember freaking out in the hotel room.

I grew up obviously loving MK and calling that my favorite park. Then I got a little bit older and MGM got something called Sunset Blvd complete with a few new rides, and it became my new favorite park. MK was for kids, EPCOT was boring, and DHS was where the fun was. We went in 1998 just about 3 months after AK opened. There just wasn't much there. At all. We did the safari and rode Dinosaur (I think) and there was a boat ride, or something like that. But that's really about all they had. And clearly my first memories of MGM are much more vivid than my first memories of this park. My first impression of the park as a whole was a letdown. I was 16 years old, it didn't have hardly any rides and it was still a bunch of construction walls. It just didn't appeal to me much at the time and I didn't get that great first impression or fantastic memories from that first visit like I have from the others. If that makes sense?

Kind of like the "it's not you, it's me" break up. It's not AK, it's me.

But anyway, my taste in parks has continued to morph. When we returned from our 10 year Disney drought in 2008 and I was there as an adult, EPCOT became my favorite park. When we went back in 2011 with DS on his first trip, I reverted back to MK as my favorite. AK has proven itself to be much better than my initial experience with it. It certainly is beautiful and probably the most well themed park of the group. I love visiting it. But it has just never really gained enough footing to hang with the 3 parks that were the Disney World that I grew up with.

I can respect that. It's kinda an illustration of what I was trying to say earlier; a park's personal rating can only go as high as a first (or later) impression and the memories made in it.

AK was the lowest ranked for me too after my very first trip there in 2000. It was dismally lacking in anything to do and HOT. The landscaping was immature and we wandered around for a couple of hours wondering, "What the HECK?" I don't remember if we had PHs, but I remember going back to MK and feeling better that we'd redeemed our day. I vaguely remember something like every ticket back then was a PH??

Anyway, since then, the park has really grown on me. After our trip in 2010, and I was just getting excited about photography, it was "grown up". The plants had provided more shade, there was more to do.... BUT most of all, and this is what was the game changer for me: I had done my homework. I knew the backstory (those are really important to me), I knew what there was to do, what I wanted to see, where things were, etc... made all the difference in the world! I tend to think that of all the parks, it shows better than any other the detail and thought that went into the story and feel they wanted.

As for Avatar coming. Here's what I like about it- even having not seen the movie... yet. I like that every single time I go to WDW there is something new to see or do. I will go without a preconceived opinion and if I don't like it, I don't have to go back and there will STILL be plenty left to do at WDW for me to try out. Having said that, I doubt very highly that the new Land will be devoid of animals. Their overarching mission is animal preservation and it's the common theme that ties the entire park together. Well, that and sucking every last dollar from your wallet. Which is what ties every park, resort, snack, and souvenir together.

I think the animals will be on the quirky weird side and that's kind of fun, no? And I hope they add a thrill, but all that remains to be seen. Let's face it, we'll all check it out and form an opinion, right? :dontbeapartypooper:

It seems like I keep running into more and more people from that corner of the country around these boards all the time! Actually, I kind of wish I'd have been on the DIS about 2 years sooner than I was. I worked about 4 1/2 years for the USDA doing a lot of travel. I'd end up in the wheat country of Oregon/Washington/Idaho for about 3 weeks at a time at least once a year in addition to similar trips to other areas of the country. I could have gotten a lot of Dismeets in! :rotfl2:

By the way, I loved my trips to the PNW. Beautiful country out there.

Although I love a lot about the PNW, I would still move to Florida at the first chance I get. That said, we have alpine, desert, rugged coast/beach, temperate, AND rain forest, riverfront, urban, and steppe-ish landscapes all within a 6 hour drive of anything else listed. "Hey, Hon, what kind of camping trip would you like to go on this holiday weekend?" You can choose ANY of them. That's pretty cool. AND to top it off, we have excellent craft beer (from what I'm told- I detest beer) to take along with you. If you don't like beer, we have the finest Pinot Noir in the country. If you still don't like that, we have the Trailblazers, who happened to kinda suck right now, compared to years past. Although that's still fair to middling relatively speaking.

So, your stay at Pop was like my stay at CSR. :crazy2:

It was brutal. Overcrowded and dirty pools - we never did swim because it was just nuts. Loud noise at all hours and someone literally trying to kick in my parents' hotel room door at 2 am.

Some ya win and some ya lose. POP was a loser for me, in general. Loud, obnoxious, rude guests, and just not very relaxing. I suppose if you're ok with a crowd who is there to party, cuss, smoke wherever they want and cut in lines at the Food Court, then I guess that's the resort for. I'm sure it's not always like that, but it left a bad taste in my mouth for sure. Sorry, @englishrose47!! I know this is your home away from home!! It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Great update and I love your favourites!! Loved the HDDR...with or without Sangria lol but it certainly helps :) It is so true that the whole feeling and sentimental value adds something to the memories and how you consider a place to be a favourite. I'm with you on HM...and your ranking of parks is interesting. I will have to get back to you after my October trip on that...it's been too long since I've done all four parks to really give them a fair ranking. I'm not even a fan of drops but I want to see the theming on ToT....Love the shops in Epcot too and seeing the culture and foods all around...totally with you there. Although sometimes the Canada pavillion does bug me when I see things like Whale Blubber soap and such...which I've never actually seen IN Canada...but I digress...

I'd venture to guess almost everyone ranks their parks according to memories made. Even if it's going on the headliners with their kids, or if you're a solo traveler where you felt most at home.

I will be very interested to see if your rankings change after your trip! I think doing them all in one trip is the only fair way to give a real ranking.

ToT does have a chicken exit if you just want to go through the queue to see the inner workings. I'd highly recommend it! And the drops are super fun- plus you get a phenomenal view from up there!!!

Yes, Beaver Butt soap and all that is just... weird. Fun for a photo op, but that'd make an odd gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter