• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The ABC's of Trip Planning, Pt 1- K is for Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197 + New Link

Caught up now. Good for you for going back to school! Age is just a number. Julia Child didn't start her cooking career until she was 50 and look at how that turned out!

The wedding looked amazing. Planning it must have been a full time job.

Can't wait to hear more!

Jill in CO

I saw the comment about Nuremberg! :goodvibes I just think it has such a profound impression on you because it was such a different experience - both from where you were coming from as well as to where you were going. Kind of combining the exotic charm with the modern amenities. :goodvibes

My parents still cherish that piece from the yurt you gave them, it sits on that small shelf and when I vist my parents for tea on Sunday (our regular weekly meet), the teapot sits on top of it.

What a pretty wedding location! And 40 C (thanks for giving me the C number!) is very hot! And I thought you lived in a corner of the US that is always grey and cold... don't worry, I still plan to make my way to the Northwest US at some point!

I hope we will get some news on how the rest of your family is doing as well!

And no way is 45 "nearly 50" you wouldn't agree with a teenager who is 16 arguing that he is "nearly 21" either?;)

You definitely may have a point about why Nurenberg had such an impact on me. I'd been to Koln and other cities in Deutchland before, and loved them all very much, especially the Koln Catherdral. So, SO beautiful! Heck, the pommes frites would be reason enough to draw me back. But yes, in general, I think the Germans have done a fabulous job at keeping/restoring the historic charm and atmosphere, while at the same time utilizing modern conveniences for easier living. Best of both worlds!

Funny, of all the things we cherish most from our trip, the dinner your folks so graciously served us was hands-down the highlight. I wish more of us had been healthier so they could have enjoyed it to the fullest! But we will always fondly remember the hospitality of locals and it's ALWAYS better than some trinket we could have walked away with. However, having said that, the little straw ornaments you sent are hanging on my tree, as they have every year since you sent them.

It IS gray and cold here for about 8 months of the year- I mean we do get the sun peeking out a day or two here and there, but it's a lot of rain which makes it VERY green and pretty. I think you'd enjoy a visit here! The Coast has a wild beauty about it that doesn't change a lot from season to season. Although, the HUGE crashing waves during the winter months make for some pretty spectacular viewing. From here you could tour Seattle, but Portland has a lot to offer in itself.

I actually do have the next update written which gives the lo-down on the rest of the Crew. But I'm waiting to put that up for a couple weeks so I don't blast through everything I have to say all at once. ;)

Now, about that age. Eh hem.... I went BACK to school (3 years AGO) at 45. I am 47. :)

Caught up now. Good for you for going back to school! Age is just a number. Julia Child didn't start her cooking career until she was 50 and look at how that turned out!

The wedding looked amazing. Planning it must have been a full time job.

Can't wait to hear more!

Jill in CO

I knew I was done with my teaching degree. It just doesn't hold much appeal to me anymore. And true, I think there's a lot of "work" in me left, and I'll certainly need a way to pay for my obsession. :beach:

It was definitely a full time job. I did spend about 30-40 hours a week making calls, making decorations, ordering stuff, etc... Fun, but phew. Glad it's over.

Holdin' my spot. Back to read. On my phone though, so commenting may be minimal.

Glad you're back to writing!

I am all Aboard- Hoping life slows down for me to keep up.

Now that the gauntlet has been thrown.....;)

LOVE the family picture. Hey wait, 300 people at the wedding and I wasn't one of them? ;) Some people from Crapistan came over?

I'm here! Thanks for the invite........... :rolleyes2

I was slowly sending out messages, but had hoped you'd see it on FB. :hug: The only person I don't talk to more is Glennbo who seems to love being cozy in like 1863 or something when they didn't have FB.

I am SO glad you're here. Between the 2 of us, we oughtta keep things, ummmm, lively. :dance3:

Holdin' my spot. Back to read. On my phone though, so commenting may be minimal.

Glad you're back to writing!

TOTALLY know you're pain and frustration about phone posting! One major reason I don't as often as I do- which even then isn't much. It's just a huge hassle.

I am all Aboard- Hoping life slows down for me to keep up.

Now that the gauntlet has been thrown.....;)

I think you're in the same boat as the rest of us, Dearie! Life is at warp right now, and there is NO sign of it letting up for at least 11 more weeks starting Jan. 5th.

But, you have been challenged to be here, or be square- which doesn't rhyme at all. But it's better than many of the alternative wordings I contemplated choosing. :lmao:

LOVE the family picture. Hey wait, 300 people at the wedding and I wasn't one of them? ;) Some people from Crapistan came over?

Obviously the next task here is to figure out again how to multi-quote. :rotfl2:

Yes, 300 and No, you weren't here. I'd have invited you had I thought there'd be a monkey's meatball's chance of you actually showing up.

And well, yes... that's actually a story. One of the things that Rebekah had wanted MOST for her special day, more than anything in the world, was to have her childhood pastor come over and bless her wedding day, IN Crapistani. It took me nearly a full year to arrange for EVERYTHING for them to come over, including their visas, wiring ALL the money for them to fly here and back, making their flight arrangements, coaching them on how to navigate an airport, taxis (they had to transfer airports in NYC), coaching them on appropriate gifts, time tables, and then hosting them for another week after the big day.

AND.... drum roll please......

I KEPT IT A SECRET FROM EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE GROOM, UNTIL THE DAY OF THE REHEARSAL!!!!!!!!!!!

NO one knew except my hubby and Bek. It blew EVERYONE away! They blessed the couple at the altar IN Crapistani, and THEN...

...during the reception, they performed and ancient ceremony called The Veil Lifting. He wrote a song specifically FOR them that introduced Nathan's family to her; each time he sang a verse about a specific family member, she would bow (TOTALLY covered) to that person and they would approach her and give her money. At the end, her new MIL lifted Bek's veil and kissed her, officially welcoming her into the family. It was so far beyond cool and so much more meaningful and beautiful than we ever could have imagined, and our guests were almost literally speechless. It was all done to his dombra playing, and they were in traditional dress- the whole bit. I have more pics and some video that MAYBE I can post.

I see you made it over - Thanks!!!!

The link should now be in my signature.

Now I need to catch up EVERYWHERE :rotfl2:

I see you made it over - Thanks!!!!

The link should now be in my signature.

Now I need to catch up EVERYWHERE :rotfl2:

Yes, I made it over. (The text was rather helpful!)

And yes, I understand the Catch-Up Game quite well. Story of my life!

Hello Liesa, it's great you are back on the Disboards! I'm looking forward to get updated on everything an everyone of your family. The wedding pictures look great! But i can't imagine to have so many guest as a bride. We had around 70 and I had the feeling I neglected most of them...

I'll keep going to the Homer Simpson well as long as you keep laughing at it. You can always count on me to beat a joke into the ground. :thumbsup2

And well, yes... that's actually a story. One of the things that Rebekah had wanted MOST for her special day, more than anything in the world, was to have her childhood pastor come over and bless her wedding day, IN Crapistani. It took me nearly a full year to arrange for EVERYTHING for them to come over, including their visas, wiring ALL the money for them to fly here and back, making their flight arrangements, coaching them on how to navigate an airport, taxis (they had to transfer airports in NYC), coaching them on appropriate gifts, time tables, and then hosting them for another week after the big day.

AND.... drum roll please......

I KEPT IT A SECRET FROM EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE GROOM, UNTIL THE DAY OF THE REHEARSAL!!!!!!!!!!!

NO one knew except my hubby and Bek. It blew EVERYONE away! They blessed the couple at the altar IN Crapistani, and THEN...

...during the reception, they performed and ancient ceremony called The Veil Lifting. He wrote a song specifically FOR them that introduced Nathan's family to her; each time he sang a verse about a specific family member, she would bow (TOTALLY covered) to that person and they would approach her and give her money. At the end, her new MIL lifted Bek's veil and kissed her, officially welcoming her into the family. It was so far beyond cool and so much more meaningful and beautiful than we ever could have imagined, and our guests were almost literally speechless. It was all done to his dombra playing, and they were in traditional dress- the whole bit. I have more pics and some video that MAYBE I can post.

Wow! I remember seeing the pictures on FB and thinking it was very cool to have them over to be part of the wedding, but I had no idea of the story behind it. I love this!:goodvibes

Hello Liesa, it's great you are back on the Disboards! I'm looking forward to get updated on everything an everyone of your family. The wedding pictures look great! But i can't imagine to have so many guest as a bride. We had around 70 and I had the feeling I neglected most of them...

Well HI THERE, sweet friend!! Welcome to yet another installment of Wild and Crazy.

It's awesome to be here, even if just for Winter Break. I will definitely check in and keep up the banter, but updates will only come every couple of weeks or so.

It was a very big wedding, a lot because most families we know have passels of kids. And both of his parents have oodles of siblings as well. And we are involved in quite a few social groups and as many as possible to be able to share in our joy! It was a FUN wedding with dancing, and cultural demonstrations, and you name it!

Many who come to weddings often stay after and visit with their families and what-not, so it's not a totally bad thing.

I'll keep going to the Homer Simpson well as long as you keep laughing at it. You can always count on me to beat a joke into the ground. :thumbsup2

Wow! I remember seeing the pictures on FB and thinking it was very cool to have them over to be part of the wedding, but I had no idea of the story behind it. I love this!:goodvibes

Keep sharing the love; Homer NEVER gets old.

I really never shared any of the backstory on FB; guess I just didn't have the time or energy after the wedding to story tell. I will put a little blurb up on FB and invite others to come read this one here. Kind of like cutting corners and all that. Glad I could give you some warm fuzzies! :love::thumbsup2

I am here! I can't promise to be remotely up to date with anything as I'm a horrible DISer these days but I will do my best!

:goodvibes

LOVE the wedding pictures, just stunning. I've seen a few here and there but oh, just so very very lovely.

I still have my yurt on my desk at work, I see it everyday and it makes me smile.

I am here! I can't promise to be remotely up to date with anything as I'm a horrible DISer these days but I will do my best!

:goodvibes

LOVE the wedding pictures, just stunning. I've seen a few here and there but oh, just so very very lovely.

I still have my yurt on my desk at work, I see it everyday and it makes me smile.

I'm SO glad you're here, Cynthia!! It touches my heart that a lot of my friends have come over to say and will pop in as they can. That's all I can promise anywhere on the DIS these days. I know this is a season for me, and to be very honest, it's going by VERY quickly for me. We have an exam every 2 weeks and every time one looms, I say to myself, GAH!! I need more time to study!! It is just SCREAMING BY!! This year will go quickly and put me that much closer to going every year like most of you, and maybe even to being a DVC owner. :banana::banana::banana:

I was told it was the most beautiful AND fun wedding people have been to. That was a great complement to me. I worked hard on it, and it was the best gift I could ever give to my daughter. I hope someday they will commensurately appreciate it. ;)

YOU DO?!! Awww! :) That makes me happy! I"m so glad you like it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter