• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The 75% All New Trip! - All done! Bonus Material finished, Link to new TR!

We were half an hour early and they could seat us. There was absolutely no one in the dining room! Why could they not give us an ADR before 9PM?????
:sad2: That's really frustrating...

We got dressed and left the room around 8:30. Our plan was to scoot over to Disney Springs, catch a bus to the Grand and be done with it. Little did we know that buses don't run from Disney Springs to resorts until after 11AM.
Really? But aren't Disney Springs restaurants opened for breakfast?

It was 9:45, plenty of time to make it to our 10:10 brunch. And then the Monorail just sat there. For a good 10 minutes. They made the announcement that there were technical delays, and finally we were underway. We had a few more glitches on the way and it was 10:06 before we were unloading at the Grand
Yuck... love the monorail, but I'm over all of these technical difficulties with it.

The Bloody Mary came with practically an appetizer itself in the garnish! There was a jumbo prawn, crab leg, slice of thick cut bacon, two blue cheese stuffed olives, and celery stick. I gave the olives to Fran.
Wow, impressive!

White chocolate Minnie gave the ultimate sacrifice!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Even though you had a late dinner that night, it was good that you were able to eat at Wolfgang Pucks that night. There are so many sit down restaurants to choose from at WDW. The brunch meal looks very nice and it was neat to see the Finding Nemo chocolate sculpture.

Interesting after reading your TR tonight, I talked to my dad the other night and and he told me that we ate most of the restaurants at WDW. I was laughing big time that we are not even close. I must have ate at least 10 different restaurants at WDW. I always enjoy reading your TR's about the meals at WDW and gets me the idea of trying it when I go back.

Dinner at Wolfgang Puck Dining Room looks like it was a success! We ate their once and enjoyed it but there are too many places to eat at WDW that we have skipped it for a while.

Yeah, I don't see us going back anytime soon. It was fine, but there are many other places that I would rather repeat than that, in fact one of them is coming up. And you were just there the other night!

Loved the photos from the brunch at Narcoossee's! I wish I could eat that French Onion Soup and Chicken & Waffle right now! Totally up my alley!

You should make a reservations for there on your next trip!

How annoying about the mix up with the ADR, but great that you managed to get this fixed. It always amuses me that often the food choices that Fran makes would be my choice, too. The only exception is if there is seafood involved.

The problem I had was that I wasn't in front of my computer when I made the ADRs. I did it from an outdated spreadsheet on my phone.

What a pain that it took so long to get to the Grand Floridian. Narcoosee's is one one of my all time favourite restaurants and brunch looked amazing. I would have loved the main course you had chosen. The chocolate display is very similar to something I saw at the Food and Wine Festival.

I think the chefs like to challenge themselves and make things for special occasions.

Oh wow, I was a whole 9 pages behind, and there was at least one update on each page. I made it! So much has happened and too much to comment on, but Remy dinner and brunch looked just amazing! I agree completely, going to WDW after a cruise makes it much more palatable.

Well that's what happens when you go away and unplug for a week or more! Plus I'm on a mission to wrap this up in three weeks, so that when I leave on the Mississippi trip, I can start posting immediately. Remy was amazing, I can't wait to do it again on the Fantasy. And we are definitely going to WDW for a few days after that.

I think I'm the only one who misses the hat :(

::yes::

I love love love all the Christmas decorations!!! We still have yet to make it over to the Epcot resorts during Christmas time and we've been there five years in a row...

I can't believe in five years you have nevermade it to the Epcot resorts at Christmas!

Oh my goodness! I just ran across this TR because you posted it on the October cruise report. I'm still in page one of this one!!! Then while reading this one I find out that you have another TR about some Naked Jim?!?!? What?!?! I'll have to read that one too! I don't know where you have the time for these TR's but I sure have so much fun reading them!!!

::welcome: I'm glad you made it over here! The TR with Naked Jim is an old one. I started it a year ago when we thought we were going to WDW with him, but Fran fell and broke her leg, so we canceled that trip. Then it turned into an ongoing TR about my visits to DL with friends from the DIS who came to So Cal. It was going to be wrapping up with a trip last Wednesday and one more next month. However then they announced the DCA F&W festival is coming back in April so now I'm going to tack that on there too. It will officially be over when we do finally go back with Jim this April/May.

What a lovely brunch! Everything was beautifully presented; I could use one of those Bloody Mary's for a nice little Happy Hour right now! I gotta way, that Nemo sculpture was amazing! A lot of time and care went into that for sure.

Glad you made it on time to brunch after sitting on the track a bit!

:sad2: That's really frustrating...

Yeah, I wonder what would have happened if we just did a walk up. :sad2:

Really? But aren't Disney Springs restaurants opened for breakfast?

Well I'm guessing that they have busses that go to Disney Springs, but they don't go to the Resorts once they leave, because I do remember taking one from VGC to DTD to eat a Wolfgang Puck Express.

Yuck... love the monorail, but I'm over all of these technical difficulties with it.

Yup, You had the same problem that we did!

Wow, impressive!

Yeah, after that Bloody Mary, I was wondering if I really needed the brunch! :rotfl: On some occasions that would be all I would need!

I had to make sure we got a picture of that!

Even though you had a late dinner that night, it was good that you were able to eat at Wolfgang Pucks that night. There are so many sit down restaurants to choose from at WDW. The brunch meal looks very nice and it was neat to see the Finding Nemo chocolate sculpture.

Both of our meals were definitely quite good!

Interesting after reading your TR tonight, I talked to my dad the other night and and he told me that we ate most of the restaurants at WDW. I was laughing big time that we are not even close. I must have ate at least 10 different restaurants at WDW. I always enjoy reading your TR's about the meals at WDW and gets me the idea of trying it when I go back.

You should have him take the Golden Spoon test and see what he says after that!

What a lovely brunch! Everything was beautifully presented; I could use one of those Bloody Mary's for a nice little Happy Hour right now! I gotta way, that Nemo sculpture was amazing! A lot of time and care went into that for sure.

Glad you made it on time to brunch after sitting on the track a bit!

I am glad that we made it brunch on time and it was definitely a wonderful brunch at that! Those chefs at Disney definitely have some skills at their sculptures!

To give you a life update, we have moved out just about all the boxes that were in the attic and we have even begun to shred the old tax papers. The move out it now going strong as Fran is committed to go over there almost every day and do something, which is good. And bad. Some days it takes a lot out of me to do that when we have been working on moving other things and then we have to go move more boxes, but it is good to get that place going so that it is finally finished.

Since I last updated you I think we took at least one load to the thrift store and that included cauldrons, skeletons and pumpkins which I didn't think they would take, but they did! So Yay! There was a bunch of other crap that they took but, I wasn't sure about the Halloween stuff. We have taken at least 5-6 loads to storage and all the boxes that came down from the attic have almost all been taken to storage so now we're back to where we were before. We found our cels and have them safely now in our own house so that we can take them to a professional service to repair them (if needed and sell them for us). Things are going well and hopefully we will get out of there soon!

I took a TON of pictures at the Grand Floridian and somehow they got corrupted or something because I can’t view them at all. Here’s what’s left.

There were a lot of people and I had a very hard time trying to get pictures without a bunch of idiots in them. Eventually I gave up since we would be back on Tuesday for breakfast and I hoped there would be less people there then.

We took the monorail over to the Contemporary. They had a Mary Blair inspired Frozen Gingerbread house complete with 15 hidden Olafs. I found 13 of them and gave up.

It was at this stop that Fran realized that the little gift shops sell limited edition pins, so she bought one.

Then we checked the gift shop. The Yacht Club only had one pair each of the earrings that I purchased the day before, but they had checked inventory and it showed that the Contemporary had some so we got me a second set in case I lose any.

They did have a pair, so I got a second set of earrings, “One to use and one to lose” as she puts it.

Then we hopped on the Monorail over to the Poly and took more pictures.

I love the detail of these ornaments and how they are uniquely themed to each resort.

We picked up some shirts in the gift shop. I also admired these tikis all dressed up for the holidays.

Then we headed out in search of Trader Sams. Unfortunately it was only 2PM and they didn't open until 4PM. I had heard of this but completely forgot. I mean what is up with that? The one in California opens a noon which makes much more sense!

So we headed back to the room as Fran was getting tired and cranky. She put in another call to the scooter company and got voice mail yet again. We went out to the bus stop, and had a moderate wait for a bus to Disney Springs. On the way back to the room we encountered this little squirrel.

When we got back to the room she sent the scooter company an email notifying them that she intended to protest the charge with the credit card company as she was not receiving the services promised, ie a fully working scooter.

She laid down and took a nap while I updated my Wonder TR and posted on my Sharing TR about the WD studio tour.

[Continued in Next Post]

Last edited:
[Continued from Previous Post]

We left at around 6:30 for our reservation at Morimoto Asia even though it was for 7:30PM. The ground was saturated so it had obviously rained recently.

The reason we left so early was that Pam (pinkocto) and her Mom were just finishing dinner at Raglan Road right across the way from our destination. While we had seen Pam on quite a few occasions, we had never met her mom, so it was nice to put a personality to the pictures. And boy does she ever have one larger than life personality! I would have loved to have spent more time with them as she seems like a really fun lady! But alas our reservation time came up really quickly and soon we were saying goodbye.

The place was very pretty inside.

It looked like there were little somewhat private rooms upstairs.

We were seated very quickly and given food and drink menus.

There was a very extensive sake list with prices to match. Prices were listed by the glass, carafe and bottle. I tried to get the gal to tell me how many oz/ml were in a carafe but she either didn't understand the question or was playing dumb.

I ordered a carafe of what turned out to be an INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE sake. I knew Junmai Gingo was Japanese for better quality sake, but if we'd been talking Tequila I would have ordered not only Anejo but one that had been aged in the most pristine wood and maybe even gold!

Or if Champagne is your beverage it was like a split of Dom perignon reserve if they made them. Even the bottle of Madame Pomeroy's Champage that we purchased at Remy was cheaper than this!

But I digress, I ordered two pieces of tuna sushi, this is perhaps the only restaurant where I have ordered sushi that it didn't come priced as two pieces.

While we were waiting for our food, I took some pictures of the open kitchen.

Maybe we should have tried the Peking Duck here.

We got an order of pork dumplings,

a pork egg roll,

and chicken lo mein between the two of us.

We pretty much ate everything, it was all good, the lo mein was not quite what I expected, but I still enjoyed it. We weren't stuffed, but I wasn't hungry either. We paid the check and headed out. I took these pictures of the bar area on my way out.

It had rained again while we were in the restaurant. Though we had parked the scooters under an overhang, they had still gotten a little bit wet. At least they started.

On our way back Fran saw the Guest relations office and we stopped in to reset the PIN on our MBs. Then we drove through the Co-op, but didn't find anything we couldn't live without. Next we went through the Christmas store and again didn't find anything we couldn't live without so we went home. This was weird, how often do we strike out at shopping?

I stayed up for a little while and worked on the Sharing TR before going to bed. I also ate half of my Gingerbread cupcake which was lacking in Gingerbread flavor. I make a better Gingerbread from a box mix! It wasn't worth the calories to finish the other half. So I took a bath and went to bed. Hey! I’m going to milk this “no drought” situation for all that I can!

Up next: We go back to the parks!

I love that they use real flowers at the resorts. And this looks so festive.

I remember you well, ginger bread house! Left quite a bit of money in the little shop. And I did not even like the gingerbread there. :rotfl2:

What a way to decorate a tree. AWESOME!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Then we drove through the Co-op, but didn't find anything we couldn't live without. Next we went through the Christmas store and again didn't find anything we couldn't live without so we went home. This was weird, how often do we strike out at shopping?

How could this happen????? No shopping???????? Wish it would happen to me. ;)

We have a reservation at Morimoto's for our next trip too. Thanks for reviewing all the right restaurants for me. ;) :thumbsup2

I can never get tired of the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian during the holiday season. Very nice pics from the GF, Contemporary and Poly. The Frozen gingerbread is nice and that is a nice pin that you got.

The food at Morimoto Asia looks very nice and appetizing.

Is Morimoto Asia in Disney Springs? I don't remember ever hearing of it before.

Loved the tour of the monorail resorts! Love all the Christmas decorations and gingerbread houses. I didn't see any hidden Olafs at the Contemporary's gingerbread house. Can you point any out?

Love the pin! I collect pins too.

Last edited:
So things are moving along here with respect to our move out. Not sure how many Expedition loads we had transported last time I checked in here, but by now we've moved at least five trips to storage but still only one to the thrift store.

What we did do that was really monumental was get everything down from our attic. I had told you all that it was about 50-100 boxes. I could not have been more wrong! No, there were more than 60 boxes labeled DIS alone! Then there were 15-20 boxes of old tax papers. Some dating back to 2003 or 4. At least we can shred everything older than 2009 and that frees up another dozen boxes or so. Then there was all the rest of the stuff. We counted approximately six rows of boxes across the room and each row was like 4 maybe 5 boxes tall. So let's just say that one "wall" of boxes is made up of 28 boxes. The spare bedroom where we stashed those boxes (not counting Disney which is in the living room, or taxes in the dining room) has probably 7 walls deep of all those boxes. When we were done stacking, the entire room was filled with walls of boxes. You could not even set foot more than a yard past the threshold! So figure 7 walls of 28 boxes and you've got almost 200 boxes in that room alone! Don't ask me what is in them all. There are many boxes of books on the Civil War, lots of boxes of clothes from 2005 & 2006 that Fran wasn't willing to part with. She put them away until she lost the weight. I know I had no less than 12 boxes of Christmas ornaments. That doesn't include the boxes for garland, lights, Pooh's Christmas Village, and other such things. Plus Fran had equally as many Halloween decorations that I've never even put up in our 19 years together. In addition to boxes, there were cauldrons, skeletons, giant spider webs and plastic electric pumpkins. I’m not sure where all this stuff is going to go, but it needs to get out of the house somewhat pronto!

Also I did some math with respect to this trip report. There are 8 days left in the report (including finishing up the day I’m in the middle of). If I am going to wrap this up before my Mississippi River cruise, I need to post a complete day every 6.571 days. So that means some pretty rapid fire updating. So hang on to your hats folks, it may get pretty crazy around here!

Speaking of the Mississippi river trip, thank goodness the rest of the world isn’t Disney World or I would be sunk. I still can’t get Fran to talk with me about restaurants to make reservations at. Every time I try to talk to her, she say something like, “let’s sit down with a map and figure it out, but not right now.” So I’ve been researching on my own. I did get her to say that we are definitely eating at Antoine’s (known for inventing Oysters Rockefeller). We talked about going to Willie May’s Scotch House (famous soul food, most notably Fried Chicken) but it’s way outside the French Quarter/Central Business District where we are staying. Others on the list include:

Commander’s Palace – It’s a long time NOLA favorite, Emeril Lagasse got his start there, and 25 cent Martinis
Café du Monde – because beignets!
Brennan’s – Among other things tableside Banana’s Foster
Mother’s – Known for comfort food, po-boys and one of the first restaurants to come back after Katrina.
Lüke – Because I have always wanted to try Chef John Besh’s cooking, and their bread pudding looks amazing.

We have three full days there or about 75 hours, I think we might be a little ambitious trying to get all that food in!

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, suggestions? Inbetween feedings we plan on sightseeing at various locations, fancy mansion yards in the Garden district, Audobon park, maybe the Voodoo museum. I’m still working on what there is to do there besides eat! So that’s it, back to the Trip Report!

I'm so excited for your trip to New Orleans! I live on the other side of the state, about a 3 hour drive from NOLA and have made many trips there!
Your list of places to visit looks great. I've never done Commander's Palace or Luke, but second the following choices:

• Cafe du Monde - awesome any time of day! We've had them for breakfast and we've also had them as a late-night-soak-up-alcohol snack!
  • Brennan's - YUM
  • Mother's - yes ma'am!
It's been 10+ years, but the brunch at the Royal Palace was divine. The jazz brunch at the InterContinental Easter weekend was a great experience as well. I don't know what days you'll be there but here's a link to other brunch locations. We haven't checked it out yet but the Court of Two Sisters has a daily jazz brunch. And I've heard good things about it!

Other places to check out, among the many:

I agree with Audubon Park and the Voodoo museum! Other awesome touristy things to do:

• take a look at the Art in Jackson Square, check out the St. Louis Cathedral
  • listen to the street musicians and watch the performers at Jackson Square and around the French Quarter
  • take a carriage ride through the French Quarter
  • Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar - Oldest bar in the Quarter (some say the country, post Louisiana Purchase). Interesting mix of tourists and locals. Candle-lit atmosphere with piano sing alongs. Be careful with the 151-saturated cherries.
  • ride the St. Charles Streetcar (exact change needed)
  • go Tropical Isle, get drinks and watch people on Bourbon St.
  • have a hurricane at Pat O'Briens and listen to the dueling pianos
  • Marie Leveau Voodoo Tour (great tour!) - also any of the haunted tours are great as you get so much historical information full of flavor
  • The National WWII Museum
  • Oak Alley Plantation Tour

http://www.buzzfeed.com/followyournola/35-ways-to-do-new-orleans-like-a-local#.mmLP57250

Last edited:
Well good news for you folks who might be falling behind. I don’t have to finish the next day until February 8th so you have some time to get caught up. Not saying I’m gonna wait until the 8th to post it, but I’ll certainly let most of the week go by for folks to get caught up. In the meantime we will be moving boxes. So far we’ve moved at least 50 or more of the “downloaded” boxes to storage. I wish I could say it was more that went to the thrift store, but I haven’t been able to get Fran over to the old house even to look through these boxes and most of them are hers, so we are just moving them for a later “go through”. For now the focus is getting stuff out of that place and then we will deal with getting rid of stuff once the apartment is under construction. Today would have been the first morning that I would have awakened in the Grand Californian for our annual, “let’s go out there to use up points” trip, but I canceled that when we were not yet out of the old apartment. I’m thinking that it’s not going to happen before our Mississippi trip. And even thinking that it will be happening before our trip with Naked Jim is being hopeful, at this point I just need to hope that before we go to Alaska the place is under construction!

But speaking of the Mississippi River trip, it’s now 45 days away, and things are really coming into place. ADRs have been made! All that is left to sort out is transportation to and from the airports in Memphis and New Orleans.

We figured out what we will be doing on some of our stops when we get off the ship, and even booked one of their premium excursions. Most of the excursions are included in the price of the tour, but just to give you an idea of what this will be like, here are a few photos that I stole from the Internet.

The Ship:

Our room will be a lot like this:

Because of the steep pricing on this cruise, we went with a bay window instead of an actual verandah. But here are the deck plans. We are on the Cabin Deck the last cabin in the middle of the ship. If you notice, there is a little patio right next to our stateroom. The agent who booked our cruise let me in on a secret that not many people know about this little patio and while it isn’t exclusively ours, it could be ours for the most part.

Here are some shots around the ship, the Ladies Parlor (although it is for use by Ladies or Men)

The Mens Parlor (also open to both sexes)

The formal dining room.

The excursion that we booked is a Cajun Swamp Tour. We take a bus for about 40 minutes to the Swamp, where we get an hour and a half long tour. I was a little wary about this as Disney does not allow scooters on their excursions. After a phone call to the company, they told me that not only could Fran bring her scooter, but that the bus drives right up to the boat for loading. This picture I found made me happy to see that the bus literally pulls right up to the boat!

And here’s some pictures that I stole from the website of the Swamp Tour Company.

I got so excited about y'all visiting NOLA that I didn't read ahead! The Swamp Tour will be a lot of fun!

Catching up; or rather pretending that I have!

Your food porn is delicious. My screen has been thoroughly cleaned. Just as well I'm having dinner soon.
Love the Christmas decorations as well.
Trader Sam doesn't open till later??? WOW!

Hope life is treating you and Fran well and the clean-out is finished soon.

Starting to catch up from this weekend!

The Grand Floridian is always the most holiday feeling of the resorts! I love their gingerbread house! I remember when I was a little girl and their gingerbread house was small enough to just be a showcase piece in the area in front of Grand Floridian Café where the DVC Desk is now. They didn't put it out one year and I remember being super doper upset!

Finding 13 of the 15 Olafs is awesome!

Love the Polynesian decorations as well!

Your meal at Morimoto Asia seems like it went decent at least. Sorry that your server had no idea the difference between a glass/carafe/bottle! You think they would have been trained better on that! Your food looks like it was pleasant though for a nice light dinner!

Well I'm guessing that they have busses that go to Disney Springs, but they don't go to the Resorts once they leave, because I do remember taking one from VGC to DTD to eat a Wolfgang Puck Express.
Ok... this got me thinking and I just had to look. They serve breakfast starting at 9. So I guess if you take a bus to WPE and then planned to go back to the resort and hop on a bus to a park, you're screwed. Which doesn't make much sense.

Then again, if Disney wants to trap you somewhere to do some shopping... :rolleyes1

To give you a life update, we have moved out just about all the boxes that were in the attic and we have even begun to shred the old tax papers. The move out it now going strong as Fran is committed to go over there almost every day and do something, which is good. And bad. Some days it takes a lot out of me to do that when we have been working on moving other things and then we have to go move more boxes, but it is good to get that place going so that it is finally finished.
I'm glad things are progressing.

We took the monorail over to the Contemporary. They had a Mary Blair inspired Frozen Gingerbread house complete with 15 hidden Olafs. I found 13 of them and gave up.
Cool! I didn't realize there were hidden Olafs there!

I love the detail of these ornaments and how they are uniquely themed to each resort.
::yes:: They do the decorations very well.

Then we headed out in search of Trader Sams. Unfortunately it was only 2PM and they didn't open until 4PM. I had heard of this but completely forgot. I mean what is up with that? The one in California opens a noon which makes much more sense!
This really doesn't make sense. The way Disney likes to mint money, this place would easily pay for its operating costs for another few hours and then some!

When we got back to the room she sent the scooter company an email notifying them that she intended to protest the charge with the credit card company as she was not receiving the services promised, ie a fully working scooter.
I hope it worked...

I ordered a carafe of what turned out to be an INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE sake. I knew Junmai Gingo was Japanese for better quality sake, but if we'd been talking Tequila I would have ordered not only Anejo but one that had been aged in the most pristine wood and maybe even gold!
So, how was it? Worth getting it?

This was weird, how often do we strike out at shopping?
That's what I was thinking! Were you guys ok?

So I took a bath and went to bed. Hey! I’m going to milk this “no drought” situation for all that I can!
:rotfl2:

Playing massive catch up again! The GF is always beautiful but Christmas is even better...Love the decor at the Poly too! I cannot believe that Trader Sams doesn't open until 4 at WDW...it just seems like a lost opportunity to me.

I can't believe you guys didn't buy anything! So unlike you! LOL Sorry the Morimoto experience was so meh...for those prices you should be blown away.

You guys are making great progress on the move!

Jill in CO

Some days it takes a lot out of me to do that when we have been working on moving other things and then we have to go move more boxes, but it is good to get that place going so that it is finally finished.

Moving always sucks. Good to hear you've made progress, though!

I took a TON of pictures at the Grand Floridian and somehow they got corrupted or something because I can’t view them at all.

Aw, man. That stinks.

There were a lot of people and I had a very hard time trying to get pictures without a bunch of idiots in them.

But I thought you didn't see us on this particular day!:rotfl2:

Then we hopped on the Monorail over to the Poly and took more pictures.

Nice! I might have to steal one. We were staying there and took photos of everything except the Christmas tree.:confused3

The place was very pretty inside.

Morimoto looks very fancy!

There was a very extensive sake list with prices to match. Prices were listed by the glass, carafe and bottle. I tried to get the gal to tell me how many oz/ml were in a carafe but she either didn't understand the question or was playing dumb.

Or if Champagne is your beverage it was like a split of Dom perignon reserve if they made them. Even the bottle of Madame Pomeroy's Champage that we purchased at Remy was cheaper than this!

Um...:confused3

So it's expensive, then? :rotfl:

Then we drove through the Co-op, but didn't find anything we couldn't live without. Next we went through the Christmas store and again didn't find anything we couldn't live without so we went home. This was weird, how often do we strike out at shopping?

Wow! Take the money you would have spent and get some lottery tickets!

Hey! I’m going to milk this “no drought” situation for all that I can!

::yes:: I can definitely understand!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter